I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Those that are deemed the "losers" of the new N+F/TP mappings are Cat 6/8/Tier 1-3 holders that did not attach it to a reservation before the new conversion mappings. If you attached one of those certs, it's likely you would have been able to still capture or preserve its "value". For example, someone who held an old Cat 8 and attached it to a Cat 8 property PRIOR to 8/18 for a stay POST-8/18 and isn't canceling the reservation is able to still have the reservation honored. Someone else with a Cat 8 cert who elected to not attach it can no longer book the new Cat 8 equivalent since most old Cat 8s now map to the new Cat 6. What is really ticking this group of people off (myself included) is, BOTH old Cat 7 and Cat 8 certs now map to the new Cat 5s. So effectively, those who paid the extra 30K to upgrade their certs from whatever they had to a Cat 8 wasted 30K since I could have gotten an old Cat 7 cert and still manage to get the same result as someone who paid extra to upgrade to a Cat 8. This same scenario has happened to those with a Cat 6; they paid more, but are getting an end product equivalent to those who purchased an old Cat 1-5 with fewer points.
ahhhh...thank you for that explanation!

My travel plans are me leaving 9/19 for a week with two Disney adult kids with free dining. But, I’m always open to learning for future trips!

Welcome from another new(ish) member of this group. We are at WDW that week, too! People here are really helpful if you want to learn more. I started with just one card to pay for one trip, but have now been able to earn enough to take a number of trips with the bonuses I have earned. If you have future travel goals (Disney or other destinations) post them here and you will get great ideas from the group. If you haven't opened many cards in the last two years, you will be amazed at what you can save for your next trip!

Thank you @miztressuz for tagging me on the "spreadsheets" comment. I do enjoy my self-proclaimed title "King of Spreadsheets". I'll copy and paste that initial comment here and add another below:

CREDIT CARD TRACKING SPREADSHEET:
(Bold for fields I think are really important)
1) Issuer
2) Card Name - Highlighted Green if a Biz card that does not affect 5/24 status
3) Last 4 Digits
4) AU - used this to track when we used to add spouse as AU on cards - no X's have appeared in this column lately ;)
5) Date Approved - the sheet is sorted by this column
6) Date Cancelled - blank unless I cancelled the card
7) Annual Fee
8) Annual Bonus - things like 6k SW points, free IHG night, etc.
9) Signup Bonus - detail of the signup bonus I received on the card
10) Min Spend Amount
11) Date Bonus Received - helpful with Chase where you're tracking 24 months to get the bonus again
12) Bonus Value - an approximation of what the signup bonus was worth
13) % Return - Bonus Value DIVIDED BY Min Spend - neat to see my return
14) Notes - misc notes not captured elsewhere
15) Ongoing Rewards - field where I capture any category bonuses (i.e. Grocery 3% or Gas 3%, or Freedom 5% quarterly)
ADDITIONAL COMMENTS:
  • I have a separate section for my cards and my wife's cards.
  • I don't delete or re-sort deleted cards. I highlight them red but leave them in order of date approved. This way I can quickly identify which cards are still open AND my 5/24 status.
  • IF I PC a card - I'll make a note in the Card Name field...but leave the original name, I don't want to lose track of what that card was initially when I earned the bonus.
  • The fields above are the columns...the cards are the rows
I also STRONGLY recommend you keep track of all of your points in each program. If something goes wrong or fraud occurs, it would be helpful to know how many points you had. It also can help with tracking when points will expire.

LOYALTY ACCOUNTS TRACKING SPREADSHEET:

1) Program Name
2) Person - Me, Wife, or in the case of SW accounts our daughters
3) Points Balance - EXACT number of points in the account
6) As Of - Date I last checked the points balance
4) Last Activity - IF points expire, date of last qualifying activity
5) Expiration - IF points expire, the date they will expire based on the last activity column
7) Approx. Value - Based on MY valuation, how much these points are worth
8) Notes - Misc Notes
9) Membership ID - Rewards Account Number or ID
:worship::worship::worship:thank you

I completely understand those who held a cat 6 cert thorough the conversion, that was my original plan as well. But to gamble on this scale is one for ages if true... https://www.doctorofcredit.com/marriott-travel-package-conversion-chart-released/#comment-631109
Supposedly:
Used their combined lifetime stash of points to buy 27 cat 6 travel packages for their wedding. Hotel wanted is now a cat 5. Apparently did not attach certs.

OH NO! That is terrible! I feel bad for them but that was really, really dumb...

DISchurners Announcement

Our beloved "support" threads are once again approaching their 6 month date. For those of you that don't know this...after 6 months, Reddit threads become locked to new posts. Thus, we have to "refresh" the support threads before then.

This is also a good practice as it encourages people to remain active here. I'd recommend everybody to check their links while doing this also - make sure they work.

LAST time we refreshed the threads, I sent reminders and tracked who had updated and who had not. Our group has grown and there are over 150 support comments across the 3 threads so I will not be doing that this time. I will issue updates every day or 2 here for the next week or so. I will leave BOTH threads up during this time. After a week (or more if I think that is needed), I will remove the old threads.

The easiest way to move your comment is to go into the OLD thread, click EDIT on your comment, COPY the text in the edit box (with all the formatting) and then PASTE that text in the new thread. If you do it this way, it should take 10-15 seconds and you keep the links and formatting intact.

EDIT: FYI - I advise everybody to use OLD reddit when updating their links. New Reddit is garbage...and messes with links...and sucks...and is garbage... :)

https://old.reddit.com/r/DISchurners/

Last edited:

DISchurners Announcement

Our beloved "support" threads are once again approaching their 6 month date. For those of you that don't know this...after 6 months, Reddit threads become locked to new posts. Thus, we have to "refresh" the support threads before then.

This is also a good practice as it encourages people to remain active here. I'd recommend everybody to check their links while doing this also - make sure they work.

LAST time we refreshed the threads, I sent reminders and tracked who had updated and who had not. Our group has grown and there are over 150 support comments across the 3 threads so I will not be doing that this time. I will issue updates every day or 2 here for the next week or so. I will leave BOTH threads up during this time. After a week (or more if I think that is needed), I will remove the old threads.

The easiest way to move your comment is to go into the OLD thread, click EDIT on your comment, COPY the text in the edit box (with all the formatting) and then PASTE that text in the new thread. If you do it this way, it should take 10-15 seconds and you keep the links and formatting intact.

I just so happened to be on and noticed you doing them, heh.

Thanks for maintaining those threads.

OMG. that would be amazing if you are able to secure that. Let me know. Maybe ill try calling too.

ETA: How are you planning on getting there? are you using miles? I thought I would figure that out after I got a reservation.

Air France has quite a few dates for 51,000 miles and 115 eu. Which would be amazing! You do still have to get to bora bora which seems like another $300 or so. But it seems totally worth it!!

It's also hard to earn Hyatt points through signup bonuses on their ONE Chase card (that's fortunately still not subject to 5/24).

Between Marriott and Hilton, I'd initially say whichever loyalty program you've already got a good cache started. But also look at each chain's hotel offerings at your planned destinations.

Marriott points were easy to accumulate between Chase and Amex cards, but will be much more difficult due to the restrictions going into effect 8/26. Marriott members earn 10x points on eligible hotel charges (5x points at Element, Residence Inn and TownePlace Suites hotels). Elites status will get you more, between 11 and 17.5 points per dollar spent. You can earn another 6x Marriott points by charging your stay on one of Chase's new Marriott cards or Amex's SPG cards. With the merger, Marriott now has a LOT of hotels around Disneyland, most at 35k, at which you could use the Free Night certificates that come with the anniversary of the new Marriott and SPG cards.

Amex has 4 Hilton credit cards (3 personal, 1 business) with welcome bonuses (none at an all time high currently), but keep in mind you can hold only 5 credit cards (regardless of business or personal) at a time with Amex. And since 3 of these cards are personal cards, they will add to your 5/24 count if you're not done with Chase. Hilton points aren't worth much, but if you actually stay at Hiltons then they're so easy to earn because of the high multiples for stays depending on status, paying with a Hilton card that carry their own earning bonuses for hotel stays, and bonus points promotions they seem to be running all the time.

I also like that it's easy to pool points with Hilton. Hilton members can transfer a maximum of 500k points into a pool each year, and receive up to 2 million points in a calendar year for no fee. This makes it really easy for a 2+ player household to earn points separately but combine them for more expensive redemptions.

Marriott seems to have really taken the low road in their merger with SPG. SPG used to allow members at the same address to transfer unlimited points between each other for free. While Marriott doesn’t require members transferring points to share the same address, members can transfer up to only 50k points each year with a $10 transaction fee (Gold and Platinum members aren't charged this fee). I believe Marriott allows point transfers of more than 50K over the phone if it's being done to complete an award redemption.
The single card for Hyatt does suck, but the current offer is 60k and that could get you 12 nights at their Cat 1 hotels, some of those are Hyatt Place/House which include breakfast and sleep 6.

I completely understand those who held a cat 6 cert thorough the conversion, that was my original plan as well. But to gamble on this scale is one for ages if true... https://www.doctorofcredit.com/marriott-travel-package-conversion-chart-released/#comment-631109
Supposedly:
Used their combined lifetime stash of points to buy 27 cat 6 travel packages for their wedding. Hotel wanted is now a cat 5. Apparently did not attach certs.
Ouch... they took a huge gamble not attaching those certificates and they lost.

DISchurners Announcement

FYI - I advise everybody to use OLD reddit when updating their links. New Reddit is garbage...and messes with links...and sucks...and is garbage... :)

https://old.reddit.com/r/DISchurners/

I'm really bummed that I may miss out of the SPG personal and SPG lux. I just don't think I can get these two cards in the 3 day window. The problems. Im 4/24 with no CSR/CSP. I wanted a CIC too. I also am working on my huge MSR requirments with Amex right now. (19k left)

the off the rails plan that I probably won't be able to do, but if any of you have ideas to modify it id appreciate it.
Apply now for CIC.

8/26 do an App o Rama
CSP first
CSR next.
then Freedom?(probably should cut this out)
Barclay AA personal
Amex SPG
Amex Lux

My last Chase card was in December 2017. Anyone have any thoughts on my off the rails plan? Should I do Marriott Biz over the CIC?

ETA: history with Chase
April 2017 Freedom Unlimited
June 2017 2 Southwest cards.
November 2017 CIP
December 2017 Marriott

So if you had a choice to collect any hotel points which hotel group would you choose? DH has some travel coming up so thinking Marriott but figured this group would be great to get input from.

Our upcoming travel goals are disney land, gibraltar(spelling) universal studios Orlando.
This was probably the wrong weekend to ask that question.:P

My DH travels for work 52 weeks a year and we are Hilton loyals. We find that he earns points quickly (on the company dime) and we redeem them for family trips at the various hilton resorts.

I wouldn't mind him doing some Hyatt stays, but unfortunately they have a small footprint and there aren't many in his travel area to make it worthwhile.

I was considering having him diversify with marriott points but not anymore. :sad2:

OMG. that would be amazing if you are able to secure that. Let me know. Maybe ill try calling too.

ETA: How are you planning on getting there? are you using miles? I thought I would figure that out after I got a reservation.

Air France has quite a few dates for 51,000 miles and 115 eu. Which would be amazing! You do still have to get to bora bora which seems like another $300 or so. But it seems totally worth it!!

United is starting up Dreamliner service from SFO to Tahiti (PPT) beginning 10/30/18.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter