I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Having gotten a bonus on the Marriott Biz will lock you out of the SPG Lux until 24 months after you received that bonus under the new restrictions that go into effect on 8/26/18. So yeah, the only harm in waiting is you won’t qualify for the SPG Lux on and after 8/26 until at least May 2019.

Note getting the Marriott Biz bonus won’t disqualify you from the SPG personal or the SPG Biz, and you’ve closed the Marriott Biz more than 30 days ago so you should still qualify for the SPG Biz.

Several blogs reported that the SPG Lux is being released on 8/23/18, which leaves a 3-day window to apply for the SPG Lux before the new restrictions take effect. Rumors peg the signup bonus at 125k Marriott points, $450 AF offset by a $300 Marriott credit, $100 GE/Precheck credit, blah blah blah.

Some people on r/churning are concerned that Amex could deny the bonus on the SPG Lux under the new rules even if you applied before the rules take effect. However, in a similar context, people have confirmed with Amex reps that they’ll get the current bonus on the SPG Biz if they apply before 8/26, even if they wouldn’t qualify for the bonus under the new rules.

Thanks! At the moment I have no specific plans for Marriott points (or a $300 Marriott credit) so I'm going to take my chances and gamble that I won't want the Lux until after 5/2019.

Eek, so true. I see a credit card offer in my sister's name. I feel pretty creepy looking through that! Nothing in my name in the last week, but I definitely want to know what's coming now where I actually live!
I get tons of credit card offers in the mail for people who don’t actually live here. I recognize the name of the person we bought the house from, and her brother. At least 3 or 4 others :confused3
Sadly, no good offers for us.

I’d slow down and get some more advice. You have now missed an opportunity to double dip since you went for only CSR yesterday. We can help you chart out a strategy that can increase your return by 25-50% if you are patient and run things past us.

Also, please consider joining DISchurners to support fellow DISers when signing up for a card. It’s always nice to give back to the community when you sign up (your CSR application could’ve earned somebody 10k URs worth $150 and costs you nothing).

If you're only in it for the points, then I don't see a point to a 2nd CSR at this time, IMO. The CSP gets you the same amount of points for the same spend, plus the AF is waived still. For now you can transfer UR points between members of a household (there's a rumor going around Chase may end it at some point). So you can get the bonus and then transfer it to DH's CSR to use it at the increased value.

You can still refer for the CSR, at least the links are still alive and you can generate new ones from the Chase app. The web page is giving the error message so it could just be a glitch like recently with the CSP and CIP links. or it's a sign of things to come. (I'm voting for glitch)

You can get the bonus on both Sapphires if you do the double dip, where you are approved for both on the same day through the loophole. Too late to do it for DH, but you could still do it if you could spend 8k in 3 months. But otherwise where you go next depends on if you were interested in Business cards. The CIC (Ink Cash) has a 0% rate for BT's but it does have a BT fee and it's a business card. For BT's the AmEx Everyday card has 0% for 15 months and no fee if transferred within 60 days. It's a no fee card that earns MR points, so it would diversify your points pool. It would add to your 5/24 count for Chase cards (just something to keep in mind) Both cards come with a sign up bonus too.

ETA: Eh, looked up the BT fee on the CIC... don't get the CIC for the BT :) It's 5% transfer fee.

This isn't the only board I'm using for travel hacking. I'm on a FI group on FB where I've been doing most of my research, but I wanted to get some specific to Disney info here as that one is more general travel.

We're not comfortable with a DD since the Chase fine print says you can't get both. We decided that we didn't want to do that. We also didn't want to have 2 separate $450 annual fees on CSRs. We're usually risk averse to Annual Fees. We really don't travel that often at all, we're just trying to offset some of the cost of this particular trip. We have a disabled child, and that makes travel much more complicated and rare for us.

I'll have to look at the app for referral links. I tried the website last night and then TPG said the CSR referral ended on 8/8.

This isn't the only board I'm using for travel hacking. I'm on a FI group on FB where I've been doing most of my research, but I wanted to get some specific to Disney info here as that one is more general travel.

We're not comfortable with a DD since the Chase fine print says you can't get both. We decided that we didn't want to do that. We also didn't want to have 2 separate $450 annual fees on CSRs. We're usually risk averse to Annual Fees. We really don't travel that often at all, we're just trying to offset some of the cost of this particular trip. We have a disabled child, and that makes travel much more complicated and rare for us.

I'll have to look at the app for referral links. I tried the website last night and then TPG said the CSR referral ended on 8/8.

In sounds like your looking to generate cash to offset the cost of your Disney trip...turning the UR points into cash...if this is the case I would of recommended the CSP for both you and your husband since it has the same 50,000bonus points as the CSR...the annual fee is waived the first year and he could referred you for the card for an additional 10,000 points...giving you 118,000 points after the spend was complete to turn into $1,180 in cash...

@Lain or anyone else that may know. Asking here in case it helps others in the future. Is it necessary for me to pre purchase my Walt Disney Family Museum admission before I get there? The only advantage I see if being able to make sure I have a time to see the special exhibit, which I do want to see. But I'm also hesitant to pick a time when I don't know when I'll actually get there. Going Saturday the 1st.

No. You don’t have to pre-purchase tickets. The Walt Disney Family Museum is almost never packed, even on the weekends, and as much as I love the Nine Old Men, it’s not exactly a big draw like some past special exhibits. Keep in mind that special exhibits are housed in a separate building behind the museum and costs extra on top of general admission.

Dh is wanting to spend $600 to meet the MSR on his CSR but I’m tempted to just wait it out and get what we get.

I still haven’t gotten a clear answer from virgin about getting Ana flights. I’m trying to figure out if it has to be a saver flight or if Ana just needs business available in general.
This article says it does need to be saver: http://www.godsavethepoints.com/201...miles-credit-card-points-fly-ana-first-class/ (Idk having never tried it myself.)

No. You don’t have to pre-purchase tickets. The Walt Disney Family Museum is almost never packed, even on the weekends, and as much as I love the Nine Old Men, it’s not exactly a big draw like some past special exhibits. Keep in mind that special exhibits are housed in a separate building behind the museum and costs extra on top of general admission.

Thank you! I'll wait and buy when I get there. I know it's a separate charge but good to know it's in a different building. I guess given it's in SF it makes sense it's not super busy. If it had been closer to DL I imagine they would be busier.

So, update to my friends trying to DD the csr/csp yesterday. She had gotten the 30-day message and had a brutal call with recon...which I had told her dh would be an 'easy peasy' call :o The dh checked the automated line this morning and dw was approved for the csr. Yay! He asked about going ahead and applying for the csp. I said I had no idea what the chances of approval would be but if it were me, I'd go for it. So, he did. 30-day message but within 2 hours, he is now getting the 2-week message. Seems promising! Any DP's on DD'ing on two different days and getting approval? I feel like I remember one DP from quite awhile back but I could be thinking of something different.

Here: https://www.disboards.com/threads/i-love-credit-cards-so-much.3528202/page-1188#post-59107536

There’s a chance the CSP can be approved, but it must be approved the same day as the CSR was approved.

But let me guess, TPG has an affiliate link that you can still use for the CSR that’s the best card for travel perks & points!

I didn't use his link. It could be an old link. Who knows? I used a link from someone in my FI group. I have no idea if they got anything for it.

In sounds like your looking to generate cash to offset the cost of your Disney trip...turning the UR points into cash...if this is the case I would of recommended the CSP for both you and your husband since it has the same 50,000bonus points as the CSR...the annual fee is waived the first year and he could referred you for the card for an additional 10,000 points...giving you 118,000 points after the spend was complete to turn into $1,180 in cash...

Sort of. What we're looking to do is offset the cost of the room at the Polynesian (and any rooms we need for the drive out or back, plus we're thinking of staying near HP for the first 2 nights in Orlando), then offset the cost of the park tickets. Not really offset future travel. Maybe I'm not explaining it correctly. The thought would be to reserve the room around Christmas/1st of the year with as many points as we can, then buy the park tickets/magic bands (we haven't been in the MB era) in the Spring, then purchase some Target GCs for while we're there. Sort of a mix. Since we're driving not flying, we don't need airfare. We just don't want to pay $10k for this trip. LOL

DoC about Walmart being sued because their gift cards don't prevent fraud and they aren't refunding money when it happens. Interesting since it's something that can be done to a lot of gc we all buy. Will be interesting to see how this all shakes out.

Yeah, a few blogs ran with the "ended" story but AFAIK none got confirmation from Chase that this is so, and it was only the website affected. I could then and can still now generate a link from my CSR through the app. My link that I generated well before 8/8 still seems to be taking applications and so does any new links I generate out of the Chase app.

Chase for the last few weeks seem to be refreshing their referrals, it's been going around on a few cards where links go down for a few days and then pop back up. The CSP was the worst as everything died with that one for about 3 days. Some of the others had this weird behavior like the CSR and Freedom cards currently.

I didn't use his link. It could be an old link. Who knows? I used a link from someone in my FI group. I have no idea if they got anything for it.

Sort of. What we're looking to do is offset the cost of the room at the Polynesian (and any rooms we need for the drive out or back, plus we're thinking of staying near HP for the first 2 nights in Orlando), then offset the cost of the park tickets. Not really offset future travel. Maybe I'm not explaining it correctly. The thought would be to reserve the room around Christmas/1st of the year with as many points as we can, then buy the park tickets/magic bands (we haven't been in the MB era) in the Spring, then purchase some Target GCs for while we're there. Sort of a mix. Since we're driving not flying, we don't need airfare. We just don't want to pay $10k for this trip. LOL

Ok then it makes sense that you did the CSR for your husband...so,you have the 1.5 factor when booking hotels with the UR points....for yourself I,would recommend the CSP since there is no fee the first year...and you can transfer the points to your husband CSR
If your staying on Disney property no need to buy magic bands you will get them for free. You can buy park tickets with UR points if you have enough...if you don’t you can buy them through undercover tourist and they will code as travel so,you’ll get 3x UR points per dollar

DoC about Walmart being sued because their gift cards don't prevent fraud and they aren't refunding money when it happens. Interesting since it's something that can be done to a lot of gc we all buy. Will be interesting to see how this all shakes out.

*sigh*

While I feel the plaintiffs’ frustrations (having had a $300 Target gift card drained), I feel like this will only lead to a tightening of Walmart’s gift card policies, including not allowing GC>GC, like what Best Buy and Target have recently done. Plaintiffs are likely to point to other retailers’ policies to show Walmart can but hasn’t done more.

Last edited:

If you join dischurners there is a write up about churning for Disney. °0°

*sigh*

While I feel the plaintiffs’ frustrations, having had a $300 Target gift card drained, I feel like this will only lead to a tightening of Walmart’s gift card policies, including not allowing GC>GC, like what Best Buy and Target have recently done. Plaintiffs are likely to point to other retailers’ policies to show Walmart can but hasn’t done more.

Noooooooo!!!!!!!o_O

You can book anything on the Disney website using URs. You have to call Chase Cruise and Tours. You can get a package, room, and/or park tickets. If you use the CSR the points are worth more than if you redeemed for cash.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter