I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
A slightly off-topic question for the Apple experts here -- when do you think the iPhone SE will be obsolete? I'm looking for an iPhone that can run the current versions of some apps (like Apple Pay and Uber) and there are some good deals on the SE now. I'm just wondering how long before the SE won't run those currents apps anymore.

Hey everyone. Getting ready to leave for vacay tomorrow night. Kids have MEA (Thursday and Friday - teachers break) So figured I have to take advantage of that... DH is busy at work so it will be Me, DS19, DD17 and DD's Friend 17. We are flying in to Orlando Tomorrow night (around Midnight). Used SW Points for fare plus DD is companion on mine. Staying at Seaworld Hotel for 2 nights (from Marriott Free nights certificates). Going to Seaworld on Wednesday (DD and I had bought season passes back in March when in Orlando so will use those, then got DS and Friend $50 tickets when they had those daily deals). Then we are getting on a Carnival Cruise for 3 nights and coming back on Sunday from that and then going to the Disney Halloween Party.

So, we will have a busy week. Very excited...l.

I bought those packing cubes you all talk about. Well, I went to You Tube and researched how to fit thing in these. They make it look so easy with their rolling and making clothes stay - did not go that well for me, so I just make up my own method. Used 1 bag for our outfits for Seaworld, 1 bag for outfits to get on the cruise and 1 bag for our Disney Outfits. At least that way we won't have to dig through all the suitcases - I can just pull out my Magic Packing Cube and ta da... My DD thinks I have gone nuts. Used some of the smaller ones for socks,undies, swimsuits and toiletries. So, 1 suitcase full of packing cubes and the other full of just folded clothes. (Not enough of the bigger cubes). So, we will see how this all works out.

I do have the Priority Pass with my CSR. We fly out of the small airport in MSP so there is nothing there to use it on. Am I understanding that the Priority Lounges are not easy to get to when flying Southwest. I think I can take me plus 2 others and then just pay for the 4th - If that works out correct? Never been in a lounge before so would kind of be cool. Is the MCO one worth it - or too much hassle to get too?

Hope you have a great trip! I love my packing cubes and envelopes and couldn't begin to pack without them. It does take a while to figure out a system that works for you though. LOL I never get to MCO early enough to look for a lounge - we max out every minute of WDW time we can. :rotfl:

I love credit cards too - for the points yes. But that being said, credit card debt is so bad. We are now living off of cash while we pay down our approximately $5,000 in credit card debt and it feels good. It also makes you realize what you are spending.

Yeah, this hobby would be really bad for people who carry credit card balances. I've never had any ccard debt and most of my cards are charge cards anyway, so there is no chance of not paying it in full each month. I do think everyone here is super aware of what they are spending, and where. This is not a hobby I would recommend to most people, though. There is too much chance of getting in over your head if you aren't careful.

But how am I supposed to shred all my metal cards?

LOL that's exactly what came to my mind, too! :rotfl:

I keep our RR accounts active by shopping through the RR shopping website

Ooh - does this work with United? I have about 5K United miles (don't fly them often but who knows about the future?) that are about to expire at the end of this year. Anyone know if using their portal would help me extend those miles, just in case?

That could make quite a dent in a Plat MSR...just sayin'...:rolleyes1

ps I haven't bought tickets in years (6?7?) and when I did they were the armed forces salute. Wow:eek:...Europe seems almost reasonable :laughing:

Yep. The crazy Disney ticket prices are making my other trips look more and more reasonable each year. It definitely helped us decide to go to Europe this summer, even if the mouse still got a bunch of those funds in the end (DCL).

Thanks for the response, and I saw your previous post listing all the benefits too.
The offer expires November 19.
It was sent to DH. So I have to convince him to go for it.
I’ve just never done MRs before, so not sure how easy/hard they’ll be to use. I just hate the idea of not jumping on it.

MRs are great for flights (particularly business or first class ones overseas since the return per point is pretty good there). You can also use those points to top off hotel points (ex - we had almost enough points for a hotel we wanted for 3 days, but not quite enough, so we moved a couple thousand MRs there). I got the offer last month and used it happily. There are also so many benefits to that card (like the lounges, travel expenses, global entry, etc.)

Thank you. I will dig more into it tonight. I was looking at RT fares. AA and Delta are super expensive. United is within budget. I can check one way for them but SWA only flys out of HOU and if Delta is flying into IAH, I may be in a pickle. :)

Can I book DH and myself one way using my current points? He doesn't have any at the moment. If this is an option and I can get the CP for the kids on any "tier" in Feb, I think this could possibly work.

Again, I cannot express my gratitude. You all are a wealth of information.

We fly SW all the time...I’m checking their website 2-3 times a day to see if the flights I’ve booked droppped in points ...Not sure when your traveling..if it’s a holiday time or school break by you..so don’t know if they will drop....If you can book one of the flights on points...I’d do so.
It will be much easier once you get all the RR points next year..you can book the flights as soothey come out and then just keep checking to see if the fare drops

Ooh - does this work with United? I have about 5K United miles (don't fly them often but who knows about the future?) that are about to expire at the end of this year. Anyone know if using their portal would help me extend those miles, just in case?

Yes, it works with United. If you earn UA miles via the MileagePlus shopping portal, those go right into your UA account and count as activity.

1-I don’t think your credit scores are too low to open additional cards...have you looked on credit Karma to see if there are ways you can raise them. I’m assuming your paying off the cards in full each month.

2-can’t help on the house question...sorry...

3- sinceyou said you have a lot of upcoming expenses...I’d recommend the CIP...80,000URs after meeting the $5k MSP...you could get one...then refer your husband for one...once the MSR is complete on both you have 180,000URs

Thanks,
Yes we don't carry a balance. Time seems to be the main factor in raising our scores. I'm thinking the new cards might have a bit of positive impact since it will raise our credit limits and lower our utilization.

Thanks,
Yes we don't carry a balance. Time seems to be the main factor in raising our scores. I'm thinking the new cards might have a bit of positive impact since it will raise our credit limits and lower our utilization.

That’s true..To lower my utilization....I pay off most of the cards balance online before the statement closes..so only a small balance is reported and my utilization is low

Best card for price protection? I think chase removed it and Amex doesn’t have it, right? I know Citi has price rewind. My son’s Xbox died (well the hdmi port broke and his dad killed it trying to fix it) and I need a new one stat but know they’ll be on sale for Black Friday.

I’m going to copy and paste a prior comment I made regarding this:

For anybody going for a 2019/2020 Southwest Companion Pass: I recommend you read this thread on r/churning https://www.reddit.com/r/churning/comments/9h4yc0/applying_for_southwest_cards_cp_late_in_the_year/ on all the ways it could go wrong.

Specifically in response to your question, This is all about having 110,000 SW RR points earned in one calendar year (for you 2019). Money spent in 2018 WILL NOT count (unless it's spent after your December statement closes...but again that seems like you're playing with fire). AND you should not hit your MSR before Jan 1, 2019 so your bonuses do not post until 2019.

Hope this all helps :)
I've forgotten this detail from 2 years prior....I know spend should be in 2019 for the 2 years- why do I recall starting the spend in November? didn't it all apply to the MSR ,and thus hen the bonus hit after 1/19 it would all count toward 2019 spending? (how can I forget this so easily?)

I've forgotten this detail from 2 years prior....I know spend should be in 2019 for the 2 years- why do I recall starting the spend in November? didn't it all apply to the MSR ,and thus hen the bonus hit after 1/19 it would all count toward 2019 spending? (how can I forget this so easily?)

I started my spend last year in 2017...but finished it in 2018...all spend counted towards MSR...didn’t have to worry about any additional spend for the CP..since both cards had the 60,000RR bonus

The spend in 2018 will count towards the MSR, but anything that posts in 2018 will not count toward the 110000 requirement for the CP. So if you spend $1000 in 2018 and $1000 in 2019, it will all go the MSR, but only $1000 will count toward the CP qualification.

Double checking: has anyone bought Disney gift cards online at BJs using their Chase Freedom? It seems some cards are at an 8% discount online but I didn’t see them that cheap in store. Just wanted to be sure that I would still be eligible for the 5% bonus categories with Chase Freedom if buying online...

I'm behind as usual, this was probably answered, but if not, I bought the 8% off BJs disney gift cards and did also receive the 5% on Freedom. Easiest discount ever.
ETA: That was BJs online.

Last edited:
Yep. The crazy Disney ticket prices are making my other trips look more and more reasonable each year. It definitely helped us decide to go to Europe this summer, even if the mouse still got a bunch of those funds in the end (DCL).

LOL-you sound like me :) I have effectively just switched my allegiance from the parks to DCL and the occasional ABD. We've done 2 DCLs in Europe (Dover-Barcelona) and Med out of Barcelona and they are, at this stage of the game for me, so much more relaxing than parks. Guess I'm falling in the older side of "newly wed and nearly dead" cruise demographic :laughing:

Last edited:
Barclay pulled credit for our JB Biz cards (we both got one). Will this have any affect on DH going for CIP next month and me going for CIC Dec/Jan?
My score is 816, DH high 700s. Lowered CLs with Chase. We are both 4/24.

Best card for price protection? I think chase removed it and Amex doesn’t have it, right? I know Citi has price rewind. My son’s Xbox died (well the hdmi port broke and his dad killed it trying to fix it) and I need a new one stat but know they’ll be on sale for Black Friday.

Citi is the only ones left with some kind of price protection... u got it right.

Are all chase support links kaput or just CSR? I haven’t been following what’s going on with those.
Oh boo! My mom is finally ready to open a CF, and wanted to use my link. Of course :rolleyes:
If she really is feeling kind ask her to go for a CFU so you get the points and then PC to a CF :)

EDIT: I’m assuming you have a CFU. IF not then hmmmm lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!