I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just reposting in case anyone has any suggestions:

So I just got a statement in today after a nasal procedure my son had. We're going to be paying about $1800 towards this bill. I'm definitely going to pay with a credit card, then use our HSA account for a reimbursement. Currently not working toward minimum spend on any cards and I'd hate to let this big expense go to waste without putting it towards a minimum. Ideas on a possible next card for me or DH?

We're both at 4/24 right now, so I'm thinking Chase would be our best option to round out the 5th slot. I got the CSR in January, the Disney Visa in February, then CIP in July. DH got his CSR and SW Premier in February, SW Plus and Disney Visa in March. Originally I wanted to shoot for the CSP next, but with the new Chase rules that doesn't appear to be an option. Boo!! Really wanted another UR bonus to beef up what we have and possibly use the to book a deluxe WDW resort next March/April.

As far as travel, we've really been using our UR towards Disney stays since we started earning them. Since we got APs in June, I'm burning them up and getting as many trips as we can for the least OOP. The SW CP has helped a ton with that. We have a trip to Vegas planned for February next year, but we're traveling with family who already booked at The Flamingo, so that's where we'll be booking our room too. The only other trip I see on the horizon is possibly Hawaii. Our 10th anniversary is in March 2019, so if I can make that trip happen for as little OOP as possible DH would be thrilled.

Anyone have a Chase Sapphire Reserve card? I"m thinking of getting one with a 50k sign up bonus. I already have the Chase Sapphire Preferred. I'm not liking the annual fee but I'm wondering if the $300 travel credit can go toward EZ Pass? That plus the bonus would pay for year 2 of the annual fee (first year is waived).

Thanks for any input! I"m saving miles for business class tickets x4 for my big birthday coming up!

Chase has a new rule that you can't hold more than one Sapphire product at a time. If you already have more than one you're fine, but as of this month you won't be approved for a CSR if you already have the CSP. You'd have to first cancel your CSP and then apply for the CSR.

Last edited:
Anyone have a Chase Sapphire Reserve card? I"m thinking of getting one with a 50k sign up bonus. I already have the Chase Sapphire Preferred. I'm not liking the annual fee but I'm wondering if the $300 travel credit can go toward EZ Pass? That plus the bonus would pay for year 2 of the annual fee (first year is waived).

Thanks for any input! I"m saving miles for business class tickets x4 for my big birthday coming up!

Chase has a new rule that you can't hold more than one Sapphire product at a time. If you already have more than one you're fine, but you won't be approved for a CSR if you already have the CSP. You'd have to first cancel your CSP and then apply for the CSR.

@peel is right. Last month, Chase introduced a new limit of only one Sapphire-branded card at a time. Since you have the Sapphire Preferred, if you try to apply for the Sapphire Reserve you'll be automatically denied.

At the same time, Chase also introduced another new rule that limits signup bonuses on any Sapphire card to a single bonus every 24 months. So if you received a signup bonus for your Preferred within the last 24 months, you cannot receive another bonus on a Sapphire card (e.g., the Reserve) until at least 24 months have passed from when you earned the prior bonus.

Canceling or product changing your Preferred gets you around the one Sapphire card at a time rule, but not the one Sapphire bonus per 24 months rule.

If it's been more than 2 years since you earned the bonus on your Preferred, then you can cancel or product change your Preferred to a Freedom card, then apply for the Reserve for the bonus.

I hadn't heard anything about the first year annual fee being waived. I know it is for the Preferred, but not for the Reserve.

@belle1986 & @CyndiLouWho, thank you both very much! That is great to hear. I just signed up for chase freedom and ink yesterday. But i will keep this on my radar for sure. Maybe once I've gotten the bonus from those other cards. Or...I'm not familiar with the chase UR yet, is there a way to convert those points to AA flights (for a good value)?

you can book via BA and get an AA award ticket through BA. UR transfers to BA.

So I just got a statement in today after a nasal procedure my son had. We're going to be paying about $1800 towards this bill. I'm definitely going to pay with a credit card, then use our HSA account for a reimbursement. Currently not working toward minimum spend on any cards and I'd hate to let this big expense go to waste without putting it towards a minimum. Ideas on a possible next card for me or DH?

We're both at 4/24 right now, so I'm thinking Chase would be our best option to round out the 5th slot. I got the CSR in January, the Disney Visa in February, then CIP in July. DH got his CSR and SW Premier in February, SW Plus and Disney Visa in March. Originally I wanted to shoot for the CSP next, but with the new Chase rules that doesn't appear to be an option. Boo!! Really wanted another UR bonus to beef up what we have and possibly use the to book a deluxe WDW resort next March/April.

As far as travel, we've really been using our UR towards Disney stays since we started earning them. Since we got APs in June, I'm burning them up and getting as many trips as we can for the least OOP. The SW CP has helped a ton with that. We have a trip to Vegas planned for February next year, but we're traveling with family who already booked at The Flamingo, so that's where we'll be booking our room too. The only other trip I see on the horizon is possibly Hawaii. Our 10th anniversary is in March 2019, so if I can make that trip happen for as little OOP as possible DH would be thrilled.

So if you want to stay on the Chase route (logically) then I'd probably recommend the Chase Freedom IF Disney trips look like they'll continue in the future. You get 5% back with spend in specific categories every quarter and since you have a CSR you can transfer the money ($75 if you max out the quarterly spending of $1500) into UR points by transferring to your CSR acct. The quarter of Oct-Dec the 5x rewards is wal mart and dept stores so you could get $1500 worth of WM gc and then go to Sam's (if you're a member) and redeem for discounted Disney GC (usually around 4%) off. That was my grand plan until I realized I have NO DISNEY trips planned after this Nov :crazy2: If you're not into the semi convoluted WM gc to Sam's purchased Disney GC, there is still the whole 7500 UR transferred to your CSR after you max out the quarterly spend at Wal Mart or a whole slew of department stores.

Another Chase option is the Marriott then earn those points, transfer to SPG and have a Solwfin Disney vacation BUT since most report this ISN'T subject to the 5/24 I'd advise against it.

Finally, if you have any sort of business claims, the experts out there can tall you about the Chase business cards (@calypso726, @Albort, @Lain) but I can't.

Good luck finding one that works for you :)

Thanks for the info about the SR card. I guess I won't be applying for that one! Can anyone steer me toward a card that would give a good bonus and points that will easily transfer to multiple airlines. Not sure yet what we are going to fly.

Thanks!!

1. Won't count as a new card for Chase There is no credit pull. You can downgrade it again after a year.
2. You can downgrade a Delta Reserve to blue, but not the true plat. You can't change charge to credit.
According to the AMEX website, all levels of the Delta AMEX cards are credit cards?

Thanks for the info about the SR card. I guess I won't be applying for that one! Can anyone steer me toward a card that would give a good bonus and points that will easily transfer to multiple airlines. Not sure yet what we are going to fly.

Thanks!!
Do you have a business, could be eBay sales, contractor, consultant? You could apply for the Chase Ink Preferred, that's 80k UR points.

Do you have a business, could be eBay sales, contractor, consultant? You could apply for the Chase Ink Preferred, that's 80k UR points.

I do sell on Ebay but I don't make much at all. Would that count? I did have a business but I folded it a few years back, as an IT consultant. It was an S Corp.

O/T for this board, but can someone tell me if $1,000 for 5 nights at OKW (studio) in Feb is a good deal? I've got a rental held in my name, trying to decide if I should pull the trigger.

Did you mean change your Delta Platinum to Blue? Yes, you can do that. I misunderstood and thought you meant the regular Amex plat.
Ok, perfect, thank you! I have had my skymiles for many years, so I hate to close it, but I don't fly Delta enough anymore to warrant the fee.

Ok, perfect, thank you! I have had my skymiles for many years, so I hate to close it, but I don't fly Delta enough anymore to warrant the fee.
Skymiles never expire so blue is a good option to keep for earning if you want... doesn't come with the free bag benefit like gold.

Does anyone have any idea how I can find out if I'm going to owe a lot more to AoA for local taxes and resort fees on my Chase UR portal booking? Should I just call and ask the Disney reservations line? I don't know why I was thinking those were included in my points/cash payment. I now see in the fine print of my reservation that they aren't. I was charged for "Taxes and Fees", but who knows what that means.

Does anyone have any idea how I can find out if I'm going to owe a lot more to AoA for local taxes and resort fees on my Chase UR portal booking? Should I just call and ask the Disney reservations line? I don't know why I was thinking those were included in my points/cash payment. I now see in the fine print of my reservation that they aren't. I was charged for "Taxes and Fees", but who knows what that means.

We didn't owe any additional taxes or fees to Disney. I think our fine print said we could owe also. I just think they use the same fine print for every hotel.

O/T for this board, but can someone tell me if $1,000 for 5 nights at OKW (studio) in Feb is a good deal? I've got a rental held in my name, trying to decide if I should pull the trigger.

Depends...I'd find out how many points the reservation cost. I like to pay between $10-13/pp which is getting harder to do. Seems like dvc renting has really gone up within the last year. Rental companies are wanting between $15-$17 per point. Off of the top of my head, $200/night seems a little high for OKW. We've gotten an SSR studio for around $150. I would just do the math on the points and see what you're paying.

I do sell on Ebay but I don't make much at all. Would that count? I did have a business but I folded it a few years back, as an IT consultant. It was an S Corp.

eBay counts! Even with small profits. Use total household income.

Hmm, if you want do Chase, then the Freedom card would be the next one to get, the rotating 5% categories are nice and you can transfer points to your CSR. Or your DH could get the CIP and you could get a SW card, never hurts to have extra points. Marriott might be nice. I've read that the personal card is subject to 5/24 but the business card is not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter