I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would someone be so kind as to post a link or PM me with a link to where I can find these FIRE and MMM forums? Thank you kindly!

While I have learned a lot and gotten some great tips from the MMM forums, they are definitely not as friendly as the forums here (which I think is true across much of the Internet forums, to be honest)! Weeding through some of the comments, you can find some helpful and great tips on a variety of frugal topics though, including credit card tips. I mainly lurk too- the only thing I really post on is the book challenge! :)

Would someone be so kind as to post a link or PM me with a link to where I can find these FIRE and MMM forums? Thank you kindly!

He's got a blog which has some interesting reads:
https://www.mrmoneymustache.com/blog/

And the forums, which seem to have all types of people:
https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com

I don't follow any other sites on this topic right now.

His current stuff isn't great but I really enjoy older articles on RootOfGood. I think the single best article I ever read on early retirement is this one:
http://rootofgood.com/reaching-the-summit-financial-independence/

His current stuff isn't great but I really enjoy older articles on RootOfGood. I think the single best article I ever read on early retirement is this one:
http://rootofgood.com/reaching-the-summit-financial-independence/

Thank you for posting these links. I enjoyed reading them although I am not a candidate for the 'retire early' idea. I've been of retirement age for a while now and simply enjoy working and my job. (I am retiring this year.) The climbing the mountain analogy was very interesting.

I will pass the links on to my children, although they are well on their way.

I was not impressed by some of the other writings of JustinRog.

This has been a bad week for my credit card churning efforts. I have always had to make many mistakes before I get good at anything - this is no exception. Three mistakes in one week:

- The Marriott rewards points question on Sunday - I answered it BUT didn't know i had to connect my twitter account to the MR. Duh! So I missed out on that. I tried to get it but they gave me a hard "no" and told me to try next Sunday.

- SPG Amex card has not yet arrived and I need to rack up $5,000 min spend in 3 months. Our oven died and we are hosting Thanksgiving and just bought a $2,000 oven that could have been put on that AMEX SPG card! So, what do I do? I pull out my Amex ED Preferred KNOWING that I want to collect United rewards. I can transfer the AMEX ED Preferred points to SPG (my goals are United miles and SPG points for my vacation in August) -- the value isn't great for tranferring AMEX points to SPG. I should have used the United card!

Always learning the hard way.

Thank you for posting these links. I enjoyed reading them although I am not a candidate for the 'retire early' idea. I've been of retirement age for a while now and simply enjoy working and my job. (I am retiring this year.) The climbing the mountain analogy was very interesting.

I will pass the links on to my children, although they are well on their way.

I was not impressed by some of the other writings of JustinRog.

If you want to pass some more links to your kids - here's a list of the most popular FIRE blogs on the internet. I read most of them from time to time, with most of my time spent on the Mustache forums (no posting for me there).

https://blog.feedspot.com/early_retirement_blogs/

Then this site predates Mustache ( I think). He's written a book as well. He's lean fire - http://earlyretirementextreme.com/

This has been a bad week for my credit card churning efforts. I have always had to make many mistakes before I get good at anything - this is no exception. Three mistakes in one week:

- The Marriott rewards points question on Sunday - I answered it BUT didn't know i had to connect my twitter account to the MR. Duh! So I missed out on that. I tried to get it but they gave me a hard "no" and told me to try next Sunday.

- SPG Amex card has not yet arrived and I need to rack up $5,000 min spend in 3 months. Our oven died and we are hosting Thanksgiving and just bought a $2,000 oven that could have been put on that AMEX SPG card! So, what do I do? I pull out my Amex ED Preferred KNOWING that I want to collect United rewards. I can transfer the AMEX ED Preferred points to SPG (my goals are United miles and SPG points for my vacation in August) -- the value isn't great for tranferring AMEX points to SPG. I should have used the United card!

Remember when you spend $25k on your united card, you get a 10k mileage bump.

I lurk on the reddit FIRE forms as well. I haven’t started my career yet, but I dont think I will enjoy the career path I have choosen. Luckily, my SO makes enough to cover all of our expenses and can still max his 401k. I hope I to find a job shortly after graduation and we can use my income for savings and buying dvc lol. Maybe I’ll enjoy my job and we might have kids in the future which may set back my FIRE plans, but right now while our expenses are low and we are used to living like students we are going to try and save as much as possible. Minus a Disney wedding and dvc lol.

Can you go back to the store and return it and buy it again?

Remember when you spend $25k on your united card, you get a 10k mileage bump.

Thanks for the reminder. I can't imagine spending 25k on that card. That seems like so much money for one card! However, if I truly split the SPG and United spending it is possible. This is a race to collect United miles + SPG points + JetBlue (would like to go to WDW in November if at all possible!

In case anyone else was bummed cause they did not have the Google Express offer on any of your Amex cards, I ended up getting it on the classic site...as well as a few other offers I can use that do not show up on the new site...
https://online.americanexpress.com/myca/logon/us/action?request_type=LogonHandler&Face=en_US&DestPage=https://online.americanexpress.com/myca/acctmgmt/us/myaccountsummary.do?request_type=authreg_acctAccountSummary&Face=en_US&pageView=janus&omnlogin=us_homepage_myca
what is the classic site? wait nevermind I clicked on your link...what sort of magical link is this!?!?!?!:rotfl2: where did that come from? I like the old site better...although my offers hadn't changed....

Last edited:
Question for CSR credit timing..... I have a small window to use that credit coming up,and I need to time this right...so I'd love input. MY current statement date will be Dec 17,'17. So that means the 'new' credit should be available on the 18th... I have car rental (for that exact amount!) that starts on the 12/9,and we drop it off the afternoon of the 17th. But I don't want the charge to hit my card until at least the 18th. Am I timing it too close? I could potentially try to extend the rental another day or two, but I'll end up paying more oop that way(prices are higher now than at booking) ...WWYD? I keep thinking I'll leave it as is,and it should be fine till the 18th,so I can use that credit, but now I'm getting nervous.

Next time you get approved with AmEx- call them and tell them you have some large expenditures coming up- then ask if they will give you complimentary expedited shipping. I have never been turned down- but YMMV.

I should have done that! I'm going to do this with every card I get from here on out. This one is taking incredibly long to get!

I was always looking to see if there’s an app out there to track my purchases and to check for lower prices since my Disney habit gets expensive. Pretty cool and perfect for this board:

Get $5 now with my Earny app link:
https://earny.app.link/hR16gzmFhI

Save a penny whenever you can!

If that's a referral link You'll need to delete it, they are against the board rules.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter