I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a race to collect United miles + SPG points + JetBlue (would like to go to WDW in November if at all possible!

Have you looked at Marriott Travel Packages? You could get 132,000 United miles and 1 week at a Cat 1-5 Marriott hotel for 270,000 Marriott points/90,000 Starwood points.

Next time you get approved with AmEx- call them and tell them you have some large expenditures coming up- then ask if they will give you complimentary expedited shipping. I have never been turned down- but YMMV.

man, I tried to do this one my personal and biz spg card and they would not budge. :-/

ugh, typing spg on the iPhone keeps autocorrecting to dog. lol

man, I tried to do this one my personal and biz spg card and they would not budge. :-/

Yeah- YMMV. Dunno why we haven't had an issue- we always got our Chase cards expedited, too (but we are CPCs so that might be why). The important takeaway is to try- all they can say is no...

They absolutely wouldn't expedite my first personal Amex when I tried (Delta) a few weeks ago. And I know others have had it expedited. I finally had a CSR who looked farther into it and found out it was a security thing and the first card had to be mailed via regular mail.

I got my Marriott sign up bonus at the beginning of the month and transferred it to my SPG account, which gave me just enough in there to book a 5 night stay at the Dolphin. I had a two-three week stretch that would have worked for my trip, so I was playing around but could never get 5 days in a row. I was about to call in to book because the standard rate was still available, when a 5 day stretch opened up so I booked it. I had less than 90 starpoints left.

Yesterday, I log into my account and see I now have 2700 starpoints. What??? What mistake did they make here??? I thought something was all messed up. And then I realized... SPG Biz spend. D'oh! :P

I have my phone properly trained to recognize SPG and CSR and it even puts them in all caps for me :rotfl:

Question for CSR credit timing..... I have a small window to use that credit coming up,and I need to time this right...so I'd love input. MY current statement date will be Dec 17,'17. So that means the 'new' credit should be available on the 18th... I have car rental (for that exact amount!) that starts on the 12/9,and we drop it off the afternoon of the 17th. But I don't want the charge to hit my card until at least the 18th. Am I timing it too close? I could potentially try to extend the rental another day or two, but I'll end up paying more oop that way(prices are higher now than at booking) ...WWYD? I keep thinking I'll leave it as is,and it should be fine till the 18th,so I can use that credit, but now I'm getting nervous.
I hate to say this but you may out of luck with this one. A few weeks ago we rented a car from Dollar. They charged us the fees on the day we returned the car, Nov 11th. I just checked my CSR statement and the fees posted on Nov 13th, but the date showing on the statement is Nov 11th. I'm not using a travel credit for my transaction, but it really is cutting it close in your situation. Good luck!

One advantage to travel hacking your way to first class is checked luggage. There is no charge and you have a greater baggage allowance. This comes in handy when souvenir shopping. If you like collecting Christmas ornaments on your travels you will discover Iceland has a prettty unique Christmas tradition. Their iconic Christmas isn’t exactly Santa, but 13 Yule lads which are the sons of trolls. When easily charmed you might decide that you can’t just get one ornament that says “Iceland” and you simply MUST have all 13 Yule lads, plus their troll parents. Fortunately, we are up in first and I don’t have to worry about squeezing these into my already overstuffed luggage and going over the weight limit. Here are some pics from exploring downtown Reykjavik today. It’s very colorful and many buildings have murals. That’s Mr. Calypso with me at the bottom, the other half of our travel hacking duo. Feel free to enjoy or totally scroll past. Tomorrow, ice caving if all goes well.

9BE36999-542F-43D9-86BE-4FF9614D5281.jpeg

67CC2D94-8297-48F4-B584-DD655C8076AC.jpeg
89CD7025-13AB-4C38-A24A-FBDB13B9446D.jpeg
E1C32A00-D940-43D9-BC03-089A7BFFC0AC.jpeg
4039A731-859F-4428-816C-4897E367E235.jpeg
2A1E5ABA-D620-4314-9CF2-0EC51DEDACE2.jpeg
64C5BD79-CF53-4964-8DFF-A0C5089DF850.jpeg
102E2326-7C4A-4E2E-AC1E-5AA6855FCEC7.jpeg

One advantage to travel hacking your way to first class is checked luggage. There is no charge and you have a greater baggage allowance. This comes in handy when souvenir shopping. If you like collecting Christmas ornaments on your travels you will discover Iceland has a prettty unique Christmas tradition. Their iconic Christmas isn’t exactly Santa, but 13 Yule lads which are the sons of trolls. When easily charmed you might decide that you can’t just get one ornament that says “Iceland” and you simply MUST have all 13 Yule lads, plus their troll parents. Fortunately, we are up in first and I don’t have to worry about squeezing these into my already overstuffed luggage and going over the weight limit. Here are some pics from exploring downtown Reykjavik today. It’s very colorful and many buildings have murals. That’s Mr. Calypso with me at the bottom, the other half of our travel hacking duo. Feel free to enjoy or totally scroll past. Tomorrow, ice caving if all goes well.

View attachment 284680

View attachment 284681
View attachment 284682
View attachment 284683
View attachment 284684
View attachment 284685
View attachment 284686
View attachment 284688

I am thoroughly enjoying every post and picture! Thank you for taking the time to do this.

I am thoroughly enjoying every post and picture! Thank you for taking the time to do this.

Glad to hear it and glad to do it. I’m trying to keep the posts related to the thread topic though for those who might not want to see a trip report. I’d still like to provide useful information for them as well. I will say that we’ve had most of our meals in the Executive lounge. This allowed us to splurge last night for dinner. Anyone planning to do Iceland really needs to budget more than they expect for food and even more if they drink alcohol. I’m not a big drinker and DH is allergic to alcohol. I did want to try a cocktail at the restaurant that was made with Icelandic spirits. One cocktail was $24 USD!

Anyone who likes Martha Stewart wines and has the Amex offer: BLACKFRIDAY40 will get you 40% off and free shipping, combined with the $25 off $75 Amex offer if you have it is a great deal! Just got 16 bottles ($240 worth!) of the one wine from her that we loved for $106 including taxes. Who needs Black Friday? I think I saved enough money I can take Fri off! (Used the offer on 2 different cards, 8 bottles + taxes got us to $78 total which triggered the Amex offer right away. Rinsed and repeated for another fam member :) )

Anyone who likes Martha Stewart wines and has the Amex offer: BLACKFRIDAY40 will get you 40% off and free shipping, combined with the $25 off $75 Amex offer if you have it is a great deal! Just got 16 bottles ($240 worth!) of the one wine from her that we loved for $106 including taxes. Who needs Black Friday? I think I saved enough money I can take Fri off! (Used the offer on 2 different cards, 8 bottles + taxes got us to $78 total which triggered the Amex offer right away. Rinsed and repeated for another fam member :) )
Eeee, I might have to check this out! I love ordering wine online, it's so handy when I'm working a lot!

Thank you!!! I think you just helped me with half of my Christmas shopping!

Just saw on slickdeals that ChasePay is offering 10% back on purchases at Walmart.com up to $325 in purchases. The last time they ran this promotion I was able to use it for gift card purchases.

Details are here: https://slickdeals.net/f/10887347-10-back-for-using-chase-pay-at-walmart-com?page=4#commentsSection
DoC also reporting a 10x offer for specific Chase cards at BestBuy up to $400. Watching the comments right now for DPs to confirm it works without receiving the email. https://www.doctorofcredit.com/chase-pay-10x10-points-best-buy-400/

bank of america premium rewards visa/Alaska air lines DP. i'm current doing this card for the $500 reward. it comes with tsa precheck (which ive not done yet) and $100 air line incedentials. alaska is my airline of choice and not a very experienced traveler but we do go pdx to boi several times a year to see our grandkids. we decided to upgrade seats on our 11-10 trip and the seat upgrades did qualify for the credit which i recieved on 11-20. i also used some points to get my son home for christmas and that $5.60 tax & fee charge on alaska was credited also. the $59.20 i had to use to purchase extra points was not credited but good to know what works.

Glad to hear it and glad to do it. I’m trying to keep the posts related to the thread topic though for those who might not want to see a trip report. I’d still like to provide useful information for them as well. I will say that we’ve had most of our meals in the Executive lounge. This allowed us to splurge last night for dinner. Anyone planning to do Iceland really needs to budget more than they expect for food and even more if they drink alcohol. I’m not a big drinker and DH is allergic to alcohol. I did want to try a cocktail at the restaurant that was made with Icelandic spirits. One cocktail was $24 USD!

Love your pictures and report. DH and I were in Iceland 5 years ago February. Bringing back good memories! Have you noticed how good the water is there? Just straight out of the tap. I miss that even!

Love your pictures and report. DH and I were in Iceland 5 years ago February. Bringing back good memories! Have you noticed how good the water is there? Just straight out of the tap. I miss that even!

Thank you. Yes! It’s better than some of the bottled water back home!

For those who have hesitated to book a Disney trip with UR points I just wanted to post that I called the Wholesale number today and was impressed how easy it was for them to get me the reservation number. If the thought of calling has put you off of booking a trip at the Disney hotels with UR don't let it. I have two rooms booked and entered into MDE the one reservation number while on the phone with her as she entered the information on the other room. Super easy and it is all set now. Not the best use of points maybe, but this is an entirely bonus trip at the end of January so we can do Disney After Hours. It is also the Christmas present to the girls. I (and Santa) are really not going to buy a whole lot else. They just have so much STUFF and I figure they will remember a trip more. I booked airfare to meet Delta Business minimum spend, the room is through UR points, and I just bought the DAH tickets after going to Best Buy and buying Disney gift cards with my AMEX offers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts