I need some help with some ideas ---- WDW trip with older kids

Piglet

<font color=blue>Can't beat <font color=red>Family
I posted this originally on the Theme Parks Community Board, but in doing a search I found you guys have some great ideas on these subjects. :)

Our family (DH, myself, DD12 & DD21) have decided instead of a big Christmas we are going to WDW right after. So our girls know we are going but don't know any details. I need help on two things ----

#1 - I'd like to do a scavenger hunt on Christmas with a box or several gifts giving the details of the trip. We're either staying at Pop Century or Caribbean (depending on the special offers). I plan on one package being a countdown chain - to tell the when. Magic Bands and DIY Disney Shirts are another. Any ideas of how to tell them the resort? Restaurants? Etc...

#2 - I'm also looking for some surprises during the trip. Any ideas for older kids? We go pretty often, so I'm looking for unique ideas.

For ideas for the reveal box - if starting at CBR, seashells, cd with reggae music, sand. Pop - yo-yos, hula hoop, 70s music, rubix cube.

For surprises while on the trip - what about experiences only they do together - like Keys to the Kingdom or another tour they may both like.

I was also thinking gifts with either a beach or music theme and then having them guess the resort based on that would be really cute. Also, as another random Disney gift, you can get personalized Disney Starbucks cups on Etsy that I think are adorable. A Bluetooth speaker playing a song that gives a 'clue' about the trip might also be cute. (I feel like those are fun for the pool and one of those items like chargers that people always need because they always end up disappearing somehow!)

For surprises - I saw in the News and Rumor thread that you can now do Couture Character makeovers at the spa that are actually pretty reasonably priced - I think around $135? I feel like that might be fun for two girls to do together. I've heard people say really positive things about the pontoon fireworks cruises as well... the Ultimate Nights of Adventure might be fun for older kids... I think Secrets of The Empire (some kind of virtual reality thing for older kids) just opened at Disney Springs (or hey, when I was 12 or 21 I would have loved just a small amount of money to buy whatever I wanted while shopping at Disney Springs!)

During our trip for our oldest DDs 21st birthday we had a total of 8 kids with ages from 14 to 21 years old. Each day we had a bag of surprises for either all of us or just for the kids. Mostly having to do with dressing up alike. We were staying at the Poly and we were eating at Ohana and in the bag that day there were ankle leis, lei bracelets and flowers for their hair. On our AK day we gave them an animal tail that attached to their back and animal jewelry. One day we were doing HDDR and we gave them all red bandannas. On the day of her birthday we had matching party Mickey Ear head bands and matching shirts for everyone. Another day we had home-made tie dye matching t-shirts for everyone. The daily gifts weren't big - but they all loved them. It truly was our best trip.

We also did Hoop Dee Doo Review - not sure if you have done that - but our kids love it. The Keys to the Kingdom was also wonderful. Enjoy your trip and let us know what you decided to do.

Thank you all!!! Great ideas from everyone. I'm making frantic notes as I'm typing this. :yay::thanks:

I posted this originally on the Theme Parks Community Board, but in doing a search I found you guys have some great ideas on these subjects. :)

Our family (DH, myself, DD12 & DD21) have decided instead of a big Christmas we are going to WDW right after. So our girls know we are going but don't know any details. I need help on two things ----

#1 - I'd like to do a scavenger hunt on Christmas with a box or several gifts giving the details of the trip. We're either staying at Pop Century or Caribbean (depending on the special offers). I plan on one package being a countdown chain - to tell the when. Magic Bands and DIY Disney Shirts are another. Any ideas of how to tell them the resort? Restaurants? Etc...

#2 - I'm also looking for some surprises during the trip. Any ideas for older kids? We go pretty often, so I'm looking for unique ideas.

Countdown chain when you are going right after Christmas? Huh? A one link chain? That doesn't seem like fun to me - but I guess it would be if they didn't know they were going that soon?

Have you thought of Disney-bounding? I got my younger daughter a bunch of stuff to use for that, and put it in a Frozen dress-up trunk I found online. She wore the clothes on the next trip we had planned.

Oh, another thing that I recently learned about that isn't exactly a 'surprise' but might qualify as 'something new' - if they like to play with SnapChat filters, there are a ton of 'geofilters' at Disney. (I always thought SnapChat was just for social media, I didn't realize you can use it just for the filters until a much younger relative showed me how, and also showed me what geofilters are.)

If you want to get really adventurous I think you can even personalize your own filter and make one for your family trip.

Countdown chain when you are going right after Christmas? Huh? A one link chain? That doesn't seem like fun to me - but I guess it would be if they didn't know they were going that soon?

Have you thought of Disney-bounding? I got my younger daughter a bunch of stuff to use for that, and put it in a Frozen dress-up trunk I found online. She wore the clothes on the next trip we had planned.
It would be 14 days. :sad2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter