I need to be convinced

sweetinmaine

DIS Veteran
We bought into SSR last year. In Sept '05 we stayed at OKW as a trial run on our membership. We stayed in a studio, liked the resort well enough but didn't have a car so we walked and walked everywhere. That resort is really spread out. No, we hadn't asked to be closer to Hospitality House. This past March we stayed at BWV and absolutely fell in :love: with the place. We had a 1 bedroom, 5th floor, right off the elevator room. It was perfect and made me feel like a princess: Now, we're going back in October and here's where the problem lies: BWV and BCV are full as is VWL. We could get into SSR or OKW. We chose SSR as it is our home resort and we had already stayed at OKW. Someone needs to convince me that this IS a nice resort. We live 2 hours from the Saratoga Springs NY and just can't seem to get excited about staying at SSR. It seems like it's spread out with nothing to do and no place but DTD to go to. And if you go to DTD, you will need to walk there as bus service and boat service is horrible...I've read the boards and now....Does anybody really like SSR? With no car, where would you recommend we ask to stay? Thanks for your responses... :confused:

WE love SSR and will be staying there everytime we get to go~

We parked our car the day we arrived and never moved it. The walks to DTD or the Carriage house are just minutes away. There are all kinds of unique activities during the day and evening hours. The views are spectacular from the winding pathways,especially around dusk. The spa is there for your use and the Blue Colada Slide at ON the ROCKS is awesome. It's a resort for relaxation and enjoying your family while in close proximation to DTD. If you want to relax and enjoy yourself I'm certain you'll enjoy SSR~

~DW ::MinnieMo

sweetinmaine said:
We bought into SSR last year. In Sept '05 we stayed at OKW as a trial run on our membership. We stayed in a studio, liked the resort well enough but didn't have a car so we walked and walked everywhere. That resort is really spread out. No, we hadn't asked to be closer to Hospitality House. This past March we stayed at BWV and absolutely fell in :love: with the place. We had a 1 bedroom, 5th floor, right off the elevator room. It was perfect and made me feel like a princess: Now, we're going back in October and here's where the problem lies: BWV and BCV are full as is VWL. We could get into SSR or OKW. We chose SSR as it is our home resort and we had already stayed at OKW. Someone needs to convince me that this IS a nice resort. We live 2 hours from the Saratoga Springs NY and just can't seem to get excited about staying at SSR. It seems like it's spread out with nothing to do and no place but DTD to go to. And if you go to DTD, you will need to walk there as bus service and boat service is horrible...I've read the boards and now....Does anybody really like SSR? With no car, where would you recommend we ask to stay? Thanks for your responses... :confused:

Well I stayed at BWV last time and LOATHED it. We had a BW view room right over the restaurant wayyyyy down the hall and had our room keys accidently deactivated and had to trek back to our room with an exhausted child at the end of a Disney Death March Day..then the drunks on the boardwalk would show up around 10 and start screeching.

I wished I could be at SSR where I was not down a long winding hallway. The transportation to MK, DTD and AK included stops at S and D and took forever - one night we waited almost anhour for a bus to take us back from MK.

It is all relative. I loved the bus and bus service at SSR I had no problems. I don't assume because I thought BWV sucked that everyone else will. Since you have not stayed at SSR you really don't know if you would like it or not. I realy thought I would love BWV and I didn't.

But considering your opinion why bother even trying it? The bus and boat suck yet you have not even stayed there. You have your mind made up to hate it and cannot even fathom anyone would like it so you should probably book at OKW and waitlist for what you want and leave SSR to those that think it is a GREAT resort.

Why did you buy at SSR if you have any hesitancy staying there?

It would be a rather large purchase to then have thoughts of "WHY would I stay there?" and asking to be convinced. Seems a little strange :scratchin ..... To each his own, Still hope you have a Magical stay if you will allow yourself.

~DW ::MinnieMo

bom_noite said:
Why did you buy at SSR if you have any hesitancy staying there?

We bought site unseen and the deal that Disney was offering was best at the time. We had never been to any DVC properties until we went to OKW. We did visit SSR last Sept and as others have mentioned in trip reports, there was very little signage pointing you where to go. We got lost walking around and could find no one to help us out. We had been dropped off at the boat docks. Obviously the place is growing and we just have to be patient.

Thanks for asking the question. :)

Slakk said:
But considering your opinion why bother even trying it? The bus and boat suck yet you have not even stayed there. You have your mind made up to hate it and cannot even fathom anyone would like it so you should probably book at OKW and waitlist for what you want and leave SSR to those that think it is a GREAT resort.

Well...First, let me thank you for responding. I have big shoulders and can take the sarcasm. I was actually referring to trip reports that I had read as well as postings on these boards. I will certainly give my visit to SSR a chance during our next trip. If someone like yourself can give SSR such a glowing comparison then I'm sure there are nice things there and I will wait and form my opinion after I have visited. I thank you again for responding.

sweetinmaine said:
Well...First, let me thank you for responding. I have big shoulders and can take the sarcasm. I was actually referring to trip reports that I had read as well as postings on these boards. I will certainly give my visit to SSR a chance during our next trip. If someone like yourself can give SSR such a glowing comparison then I'm sure there are nice things there and I will wait and form my opinion after I have visited. I thank you again for responding.

Actually I was not being sarcastic I was being realistic. If you already have a negative opinion then you are probably better off somewhere else. You said you don't like the theming, don't like the buses or boats, think there is nothing to do and DTD does not thrill you well that tells me it is not a fit. I happen to love the resort, think there is tons to do and love DTD for me it is GREAT.

Not every resort works for everyone which is why we have choices.

I know why I bough BWV. Do you not knowe why you bought at SSR.

you don't mention what kind of things you like to do while at wdw...ssr offers one of the best spas you could ever hope to enjoy...golf is right on the property...the theme pool is a fave of kids...the quiet pools are a rave by the adults...the sit down restaurant will be completed by the time you arrive...looking for a room with a view - pick congress park...looking to walk to dtd rather than take the boat - ask for the paddock...want to be close to the theme pool and main bldg - ask for the springs...want to hang out someplace other than ssr - ask for a room near a bus stop so you can ride to a park or dtd and transfer to another resort bus...my friends and i have been known to spend time just riding buses with no special destination in mind just to stay out of the heat and find as many entertaining bus drivers as we can...we have found that the more we participate - the better time we have...sometimes ya hafta make things happen rather than wait for them to hitcha in the butt...your post sounds as if you are disappointed about going to wdw rather than being glad about the trip...i hope you can get some more water in that glass to make it half full rather than half empty. ;)

pb4ugo said:
you don't mention what kind of things you like to do while at wdw...ssr offers one of the best spas you could ever hope to enjoy...golf is right on the property...the theme pool is a fave of kids...the quiet pools are a rave by the adults...the sit down restaurant will be completed by the time you arrive...looking for a room with a view - pick congress park...looking to walk to dtd rather than take the boat - ask for the paddock...want to be close to the theme pool and main bldg - ask for the springs...want to hang out someplace other than ssr - ask for a room near a bus stop so you can ride to a park or dtd and transfer to another resort bus...my friends and i have been known to spend time just riding buses with no special destination in mind just to stay out of the heat and find as many entertaining bus drivers as we can...we have found that the more we participate - the better time we have...sometimes ya hafta make things happen rather than wait for them to hitcha in the butt...your post sounds as if you are disappointed about going to wdw rather than being glad about the trip...i hope you can get some more water in that glass to make it half full rather than half empty. ;)

Thank you...This is the kind of info I was looking for. What exactly is there and what is the resort like. I am not disappointed about going to WDW, on the contrary. I just got back last week and now have only 6 months and 6 days left. Truely, I did not know a lot about the SSR resort and thought I'd ask. I went to a few trip reports and quite frankly got cold feet. I thought I'd ask the experts...Didn't mean to sound negative but that was all I had read. :confused3

Hi. We own BWV, and have stayed in OKW and SSR, with cars. Mine might have been one of the SSR reviews you saw recently on this section of the forum.

IMHO...To enjoy either of the multi-building resorts (OKW, SSR) you need to decide one of two things: that you like the Disney bus/boat system, or that you will rent a car.

We had a car at both and they were both nice. Being able to park so close to your door is a big plus (esp compared to BWV). When you are staying DVC, you get a free parking pass good at all the parks, so might as well make use of it. I personally don't like waiting for a possibly full bus at any resort, so I use the car. Driving to DTD in the middle of Spring Break season proved to be a bad idea, but otherwise it usually works very well.

Finding the boat dock at SSR was a pain (to me). It's hiding behind the main building complex, and I saw no signs. If I were staying at SSR more often, I expect I'd learn the paths pretty quickly though. That's going to be true of any resort, so just give it a chance. And don't make your first trip at 9pm on a cool night in the dark... that would have helped me too, I expect. :teeth:

I found SSR to be very quiet. If you want quiet (as compared to a room over the boardwalk with all its evening noise) that can be a very good thing.

All in all, I'd say give it a chance. Go with an open mind, and a plan to deal with the transportation. Then you can decide for yourself if you need to plan on waitlisting at other places, or enjoying your own home.

Cheers.

If you'd like to try OKW again, get a 1-B/R instead of a Studio. The difference between the two is like night & day.

We always drive to WDW so always have a car, and usually stay at OKW. While BWV/BCV are walking distance to Epcot/Studios, you still have to bus to AK or MK. Likewise VWL requires bussing to anyplace except MK.

Having a car right outside the villa, such as at OKW, can eliminate all bus travel if you want, or take the bus. SSR is similar although the parking isn't quite as convenient as at OKW.

At BWV, BCV, VWL, getting to your car is a lot more work, unless you want to use valet.

Caskbill said:
If you'd like to try OKW again, get a 1-B/R instead of a Studio. The difference between the two is like night & day.

We always drive to WDW so always have a car, and usually stay at OKW. While BWV/BCV are walking distance to Epcot/Studios, you still have to bus to AK or MK. Likewise VWL requires bussing to anyplace except MK.

Having a car right outside the villa, such as at OKW, can eliminate all bus travel if you want, or take the bus. SSR is similar although the parking isn't quite as convenient as at OKW.

At BWV, BCV, VWL, getting to your car is a lot more work, unless you want to use valet.

I agree completely! A studio at OKW is my least favorite place to stay...but OKW is my favorite resort! A one bedroom will knock your socks off!

Not having a car overall is hard at Disney to me, although I know some here disagree. Other than the MK, I just like to hop in the car and go, without waiting for a bus. I'm just not a mass transit type of person, I suppose....

Caskbill said:
[...]Having a car right outside the villa, such as at OKW, can eliminate all bus travel if you want, or take the bus. SSR is similar although the parking isn't quite as convenient as at OKW.[...]
Bill, could you please elaborate, as this doesn't jibe with our experiences. We've stayed at SSR many times and always parked withing 10-15 yards of the entrance - fairly close, IMHO - then up the elevator and a short walk to our door. The one time we stayed at OKW - bldg 28, IIRC - we parked 4 cars from the walkway, then had the walk to the stairs, the walk up to the third floor, then the walk past 3 or 4 other villas to get to our door. Don't get me wrong, I love OKW (almost as much as I love SSR) but I just don't see how OKW is any more convenient than SSR when it comes to parking....

IMHO - YMMV

ETA: For that matter, I'd say SSR wins over OKW for ease of driving from the entrace gate to your building and vice versa; SSR is one big loop compared to OKW's twists & turns (speaking as someone who has taken a few wrong turns at OKW....)

DrTomorrow said:
Bill, could you please elaborate, as this doesn't jibe with our experiences. We've stayed at SSR many times and always parked withing 10-15 yards of the entrance - fairly close, IMHO - then up the elevator and a short walk to our door. The one time we stayed at OKW - bldg 28, IIRC - we parked 4 cars from the walkway, then had the walk to the stairs, the walk up to the third floor, then the walk past 3 or 4 other villas to get to our door. Don't get me wrong, I love OKW (almost as much as I love SSR) but I just don't see how OKW is any more convenient than SSR when it comes to parking....

IMHO - YMMV

ETA: For that matter, I'd say SSR wins over OKW for ease of driving from the entrace gate to your building and vice versa; SSR is one big loop compared to OKW's twists & turns (speaking as someone who has taken a few wrong turns at OKW....)

Basically the parking areas at SSR is much larger than OKW parking areas, and serves more buildings and more units. If the SSR parking lot fills up very much, you could wind up parking several rows back and a number of car lengths up or down the lot. One time we got stuck way at the back of the lot, easily 100 yards from the entrance. We were actually closer to the entrance of the next building over.

At OKW, you'll usually be very close to the entrance to your villa as there's a separate parking lot for each building, and there are fewer units within each building.

IMHO, it seems that the parking areas for SSR are more similar to a parking area for an apartment complex, while the parking areas for OKW are more similar to residential parking.

Op as others have sugested go with an open mind and check it out. I wish I could be of more help here but I have not stayed there yet. We own SSR but have stayed at BCV, BWV and we have a trip to VB and VWL coming up. We did tour the property but simply touring isn't enough for me to be comfortable commenting. Why let a few bad reviews scare you or make you think SSR isn't a great place? DVC is not new to this. All of the resorts are great, each offering something different. Give it a try and post your own review. Have a great trip.

We were scheduled to stay at the Caribbean Beach Resort, but two days before ended up getting bumped to SSR. ended up with a two bedroom. I thought that the hotel was well layed out our bus stop was the last of the four. The grounds were beatiful. The walk to Downtown Disney was great. The rooms were fresh, well designed, and clean. The housekeeping was VERY efficient (we had been 8 times to WDW before and have had some bad luck at other resorts). The bus system was great for us too, we waited no more that 10 to 15 mins, usually less than that. One time I think we waited a long time for an Epcot bus, that was only one time out of 7 days though. The pool was very well themed and looked wonderful (never swam, weather was too chilly for me!) The counter service had great breakfast and dinner as well. Overall, I originally did not want to stay there, but was very impressed and would stay there again. If you want to be close the the pool, restuarant, front dest ect then request the Springs. Each of the four areas have a bus stop, just ask for a room close to the bus stop for more convience to and from the bus stop.

Good luck and go with an open mind!
Hey, your lucky.. your going to Disney World!

Have a great time, and have a dole whip or rice crispy treat for me! pirate:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!