Hanging up my running shoes

I love the bling (everyone updated their journal with bling discourse so now I feel like that's something I should bring up). I am so hoping the other side of the marathon medal says "If you can dream it..." It would make so much more sense. If we're lucky they'll have them at Paris this weekend and someone can snap a picture.

I think we've all had similar weeks... (perhaps me more often than others :rolleyes:). The thought of moving would be enough to do that to me, even when organized, moving days are always really long. Hopefully your in-laws are all settled now though!

That marathon medal is like the most beautiful medal ever! And dopey too! They will be well earned with all of the hard work you've been putting in!

Ugh, running funks are no fun. Hoping the excitement of a race you've trained so well for will pull you through soon.

Also, those medals... love.

It's common for me to have some weird runs during the taper. The mind and body are focused elsewhere at the moment. Here's hoping things turn for you as your PR comes up. You've got this!

Thank you! I appreciate your confidence in me. I seem to switch up day to day between, "I'm gonna KILL this" and "No way I can hit that time. What was I thinking?" Normal right? :crazy: Mostly now I'm obsessing over strategy for the race. Do I just take a "what the heck - I'm going to just go all out and if I crash and burn in the end so be it"? (per some recent advice I saw on another thread from @FFigawi ) Or, do I take a more measured approach of "I need to run this pace to get to my goal and do a more calculated approach to try and get where I need to be"? I'm a conservative and cautious racer most of the time because I hate crashing and burning at the end, yet part of me is really tempted to just throw caution to the wind and see what I can do. In truth, I've got nothing really to lose. I've got a decent PoT for Dopey I can use now anyway. Even if I burn all my matches in the first 10 miles and die the last 3, I'll still probably get a decent time that would likely improve over my current PoT. And, yet, it kinda terrifies me to think about just going all out. This will likely be a race-day decision. That will also likely change mid-race. HA! Yeah, I'm a mess who will likely be wearing like 10 pace bands on race day.

Love the bling! Only 104 days until we start earning those!

Right? I can't believe we are really getting this close!!

I love the bling (everyone updated their journal with bling discourse so now I feel like that's something I should bring up). I am so hoping the other side of the marathon medal says "If you can dream it..." It would make so much more sense. If we're lucky they'll have them at Paris this weekend and someone can snap a picture.

Surely the back side of the medal will appear somewhere soon. Those RunDisney folks know how to keep up the anticipation don't they? And, of course you should talk about the bling on your journal. It's not right if we don't all talk about it ad nauseum. It's part of the fun. :D

The medals are awesome, some of the best yet...wish I was running!

I am just coming through a 'funk' right now too...it happens

You know, I hear there are still open spots for registration for Goofy and the full. Maybe if you go out drinking again, you might sign up on a whim. :drinking1

I think we've all had similar weeks... (perhaps me more often than others :rolleyes:). The thought of moving would be enough to do that to me, even when organized, moving days are always really long. Hopefully your in-laws are all settled now though!

That marathon medal is like the most beautiful medal ever! And dopey too! They will be well earned with all of the hard work you've been putting in!

I know I'll snap out of it. Hopefully sooner rather than later. I'm pretty stoked about these medals.

Ugh, running funks are no fun. Hoping the excitement of a race you've trained so well for will pull you through soon.

Also, those medals... love.

I'm hoping the race next weekend will also snap me out of it. Medals!! :love:

A week away from a PR attempt and in a funk?...sounds right on schedule!! Happens to me all the time...ahem like only this past weekend. Something weird about knowing you are so close to the attempt and it feels like you should just be lining up for the race start right then and there but you have to slow down and run numerous short runs (which you usually look forward to) and it seems like your week is now gonna take a month before your race.
I feel you!!!!

Also get out of my head about the "do I go for broke or pace myself" struggle. The heat this weekend is making up my mind for me. One helping of smartly pacing myself before pushing myself please. But on optimal weather days...boy do I struggle with how to play it. I hope this line of thinking helps.
Let's say a 3 mile run for example. These two scenarios end with the same finish time.
A) 10:30, 10:00, 9:30....starting off feeling fresh....turning on the rockets...ending with a ton of power
B) 9:30, 10:00, 10:30...starting off with rockets blazing, omg I'm gonna die, slowing down, omg I'm dying, trudgefest to the end.

Extrapolate out to a longer race distance. Your mileage may vary. this is how I talk myself into not starting too fast. Just make sure you aren't starting too slow...just still in a comfortable range to achieve your end goal but not guns a blazing. Then pick a spot where you think you want to start pushing. Then push!

I hope I'm giving good advise here...I don't always follow it or can follow it.

A week away from a PR attempt and in a funk?...sounds right on schedule!! Happens to me all the time...ahem like only this past weekend. Something weird about knowing you are so close to the attempt and it feels like you should just be lining up for the race start right then and there but you have to slow down and run numerous short runs (which you usually look forward to) and it seems like your week is now gonna take a month before your race.
I feel you!!!!

Also get out of my head about the "do I go for broke or pace myself" struggle. The heat this weekend is making up my mind for me. One helping of smartly pacing myself before pushing myself please. But on optimal weather days...boy do I struggle with how to play it. I hope this line of thinking helps.
Let's say a 3 mile run for example. These two scenarios end with the same finish time.
A) 10:30, 10:00, 9:30....starting off feeling fresh....turning on the rockets...ending with a ton of power
B) 9:30, 10:00, 10:30...starting off with rockets blazing, omg I'm gonna die, slowing down, omg I'm dying, trudgefest to the end.

Extrapolate out to a longer race distance. Your mileage may vary. this is how I talk myself into not starting too fast. Just make sure you aren't starting too slow...just still in a comfortable range to achieve your end goal but not guns a blazing. Then pick a spot where you think you want to start pushing. Then push!

I hope I'm giving good advise here...I don't always follow it or can follow it.

It sounds like good advice to me. Why do we do this to ourselves before races? I was literally dreaming about it last night. The dream, by the way, was that I was flying through the first part of the race feeling amazing and then basically crying and practically crawling to the finish. I'm not sure that's a good omen in the "go for broke" school of thought.

It sounds like good advice to me. Why do we do this to ourselves before races? I was literally dreaming about it last night. The dream, by the way, was that I was flying through the first part of the race feeling amazing and then basically crying and practically crawling to the finish. I'm not sure that's a good omen in the "go for broke" school of thought.

I had a dream a few weeks ago where I finished a race and then everyone started yelling at me that I still had to do my final transition and put a wetsuit on. And then I realized I was racing someone else doing the same thing. And that person was me!! I mean, what the heck is that all about?

Also I think instead of Go For Broke, how about "Go For AlmostBroke, but leaving enough coins in the piggy bank to still afford to eat for the week" and then change your mind and spend them all at the end (probably on donuts)???
I'm in a weird mood today. I'm blaming tapering.

Also I think instead of Go For Broke, how about "Go For AlmostBroke, but leaving enough coins in the piggy bank to still afford to eat for the week" and then change your mind and spend them all at the end (probably on donuts)???
I'm in a weird mood today. I'm blaming tapering.

Tapering is the root of all evil.

My dream was that I got got caught up eating pancakes at a pancake tent before my race and lost track of time... when I realized it and sprinted from the tent to the start line, it was 9:45 instead of 6:45 and the race was officially over.

Agree with "almostbroke..." gonna remember that one : )

Mostly now I'm obsessing over strategy for the race. Do I just take a "what the heck - I'm going to just go all out and if I crash and burn in the end so be it"? (per some recent advice I saw on another thread from @FFigawi ) Or, do I take a more measured approach of "I need to run this pace to get to my goal and do a more calculated approach to try and get where I need to be"? I'm a conservative and cautious racer most of the time because I hate crashing and burning at the end, yet part of me is really tempted to just throw caution to the wind and see what I can do. In truth, I've got nothing really to lose.

Do it!! It's not often we get a chance to go all out with nothing on the line. I hope you do, and I hope you really REALLY go for it. Leave it all out there and collapse when you collapse, be it at the finish or a mile before.

My dream was that I got got caught up eating pancakes at a pancake tent before my race and lost track of time... when I realized it and sprinted from the tent to the start line, it was 9:45 instead of 6:45 and the race was officially over.

Agree with "almostbroke..." gonna remember that one : )

HA!!! I love the idea of getting caught up in the pancake tent! My usual race nightmare is that I get lost on the course and can't find my way back. I always end up in weird places too, like suddenly I'm running inside the mall or up and down some random staircase. Taper madness!!!

Do it!! It's not often we get a chance to go all out with nothing on the line. I hope you do, and I hope you really REALLY go for it. Leave it all out there and collapse when you collapse, be it at the finish or a mile before.

Stop being so persuasive!!!

giphy.gif

Adorable, yes? I love the bright colors. Can't wait to earn my first Disney 5K medal!
I think this is my second favourite of the lot (after the Marathon one itself) and will also be my first 5K medal.

A week away from a PR attempt and in a funk?...sounds right on schedule!!
This is sooo true! Second-guessing Syndrome in Taper week, happens to the best of us!!! You sound like you're being very self-aware and practical :)

I'm really behind on the boards, but glad to hear Vegas was a blast!!

I totally get the training cycle funk. Happens to me all the time. I've had it pretty bad, actually (to the point where I've considered quitting a few times), but ultimately ... you just gotta push

In terms of the "go for broke" conundrum ... it's so rare to actually have an opportunity to go for broke. There's usually something (weather, injury, life stuff) in your way. If the conditions are right, go for it. Even if you don't make it to the end and have to dial back in the middle, it's better to have tried and not-quite-made-it than never to have tried at all.

Also, those medals are awesome and I'm super jealous that you're getting them. I love them and I want them.

Side note: My running dreams tend to revolve around me forgetting my shoes. Then again, half of my non-running dreams also revolve around me forgetting my shoes. I wonder if that's why I buy so many pairs of shoes ...

I think this is my second favourite of the lot (after the Marathon one itself) and will also be my first 5K medal.

This is sooo true! Second-guessing Syndrome in Taper week, happens to the best of us!!! You sound like you're being very self-aware and practical :)

I'm really behind on the boards, but glad to hear Vegas was a blast!!

Vegas was great! Taper time is driving me insane!!!

I totally get the training cycle funk. Happens to me all the time. I've had it pretty bad, actually (to the point where I've considered quitting a few times), but ultimately ... you just gotta push

In terms of the "go for broke" conundrum ... it's so rare to actually have an opportunity to go for broke. There's usually something (weather, injury, life stuff) in your way. If the conditions are right, go for it. Even if you don't make it to the end and have to dial back in the middle, it's better to have tried and not-quite-made-it than never to have tried at all.

Also, those medals are awesome and I'm super jealous that you're getting them. I love them and I want them.

Side note: My running dreams tend to revolve around me forgetting my shoes. Then again, half of my non-running dreams also revolve around me forgetting my shoes. I wonder if that's why I buy so many pairs of shoes ...

Any excuse for more shoes is a good excuse as far as I'm concerned!

I honestly feel like I'm psychotic when it comes to my race strategy. I'm changing my mind about what to do every other second. I might have printed out 4 different pace bracelets.

SHAKE THAT RUNNING FUNKY FEELING, SILLY GIRL!

giphy.gif

Training Report 9/18 - 9/23
The funk continued some this week not helped by the fact I got a cold at the beginning of the week. Maybe that was coming on last week and contributed to the funk, who knows? I blame Vegas and the airplane ride.
Monday 9/18 - Back to the track today. 4 cadence drills/4 acceleration gliders and 8x800 at Half marathon pace. This went well. Pace about where we've been which is still a bit faster than called for, but it feels comfortable, so I think we are fine on this.
Tuesday 9/19 - 6 miles at 2:00/:30. Definitely sluggish today. Just not feeling it and so we just ran it nice and easy. Overall pace 10:35. It also heated back up this week, so I was one sweaty girl.
200.gif

We did manage yoga this evening though at least.
Wednesday 9/20 - Rest day.

Thursday 9/21 - Chris had to be out of town for a conference and I'm not comfortable running by myself in the dark, so no run today.
Friday 9/22 - We briefly considered running today, but Chris had a very long run set up for Saturday, so decided best not to do it.
Saturday 9/23 - Here's where timing for our half marathon crashed badly with our Galloway group schedule. This was set for a 23-miler and I had already decided I wasn't doing that. No way, with my PR attempt just one week later. Chris, however, felt like as pace leader he should go ahead and do it. I tried to talk him out of it since I know I'll be relying on him to help push me during the half race, but I also understood the obligation. Unfortunately, summer also decided to return with a vengeance and it was a pretty brutal day out. It was in the mid-80s by the time our group finished. I limited myself to 8 miles. We ran :90/:30 for this and set an easy pace (since most were running 23 that day). I finished out my 8 with a pace of 10:48 and felt good and strong at the end. The rest of the group did amazing on the 23 miles in very tough conditions. I think they finished with around an 11:30 pace. Unfortunately, it took a lot out of Chris. :( We decided to take this week VERY easy in an attempt to get him as rested as possible before the race on Sunday. He's a strong runner and he'll likely be fine, but it will be rough on him. Hopefully my own fitness hasn't suffered too much. Trying to marry our Galloway schedule with the schedule for training on this half has been a challenge.

On the plus side, I felt really good after the 8 mile run and optimistic about the race ahead. Maybe the funk is gone!

T minus 6 days to race day!!!

HTTP2NkbjEuc2JuYXRpb24uY29tL2ltcG9ydGVkX2Fzc2V0cy8xNzE3NTU5L3JveWFsc19yZWxpc2hwYW50cy5naWYlog.gif

Another great week of training! Hope you can shake your cold quickly and that Chris recovers well from the 23(!) miler.... 23 just seems insane to me! Sending you lots of good vibes for race week! Don't forget to hydrate ;)

Here's where timing for our half marathon crashed badly with our Galloway group schedule. This was set for a 23-miler and I had already decided I wasn't doing that. No way, with my PR attempt just one week later.
I'm totally with you on this.

On the plus side, I felt really good after the 8 mile run and optimistic about the race ahead.
Looking good for Sunday. You got this in the bag.

Another great week of training! Hope you can shake your cold quickly and that Chris recovers well from the 23(!) miler.... 23 just seems insane to me! Sending you lots of good vibes for race week! Don't forget to hydrate ;)

23 miles on that particular HOT day definitely was insane. I was really proud of him and the rest of the group on how well they did though. I hate that I had to miss that one and hope I didn't hurt my prospects too much for our marathon in November. Yes, on the hydrating!! Luckily temps are supposed to cool back down this week.

I'm totally with you on this.

Looking good for Sunday. You got this in the bag.

Thank you! I'm hoping the training pays off!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter