"I Only Run in Purple." - Anisum's Road PRs in 2018

Great week of running and I'm glad you are finally starting to heal up from your battle wounds.

*note to self* Do not try Science in Sport watery Orange fuel.
I mean, if you like watery fuel it may be a thing to try, but yeah, it was the worst.

My wounds healed up nicely. I'm very pleased.

Looking at your signature I realize there's not long to go now.

Glad your healed up, and great running week! I'm a little jealous of your dog petting expedition. But I'm also slightly concerned about your lack of purple. I have a purple tank I'd loan you if you were closer!

Glad your healed up, and great running week! I'm a little jealous of your dog petting expedition. But I'm also slightly concerned about your lack of purple. I have a purple tank I'd loan you if you were closer!
LOL! I know, I was looking online last night. The issue is I usually only run two or three races in a row so I have enough purple. Dopey is a whole different beast so I suddenly am feeling my lack of purple. Especially since @DopeyBadger put "obvi" next to each race I'm wearing purple in the Dis Marathon Weekend list. I feel like I can't let you guys down. Hopefully the weather will be somewhat inconsistent so I can get through with my purple.
Confession: I have no clue what I'm planning to wear for any of the races. :scared:
I mean, wild idea, but your magic band is already purple. You should totally wear some purple. Not that I'm biased or anything. Dopey wears purple and you are doing the Dopey.

LOL! I know, I was looking online last night. The issue is I usually only run two or three races in a row so I have enough purple. Dopey is a whole different beast so I suddenly am feeling my lack of purple. Especially since @DopeyBadger put "obvi" next to each race I'm wearing purple in the Dis Marathon Weekend list. I feel like I can't let you guys down. Hopefully the weather will be somewhat inconsistent so I can get through with my purple.

giphy-2.gif

:D

Week 35 (12/18-12/24):
Monday: 4mi @ EA
Tuesday: 1mi @ WU + 0.5mi * 4 @ HM Tempo + 3 * 0.5mi RI + 1mi @ CD
Thursday: 1 mile @ WU + 7 mi @ Tempo + 1 mile @ CD
Friday: 4 mi @ EA
Saturday: 6 mi @ EB
Sunday: 7 mi @ LR

Monday: Every Monday I say to myself I am going to think of something to remember for when I post on this thread and every Monday I totally forget.

Tuesday: My intervals continued to ramp back down. Good stuff there.

Thursday: I disliked that extra mile of tempo. I have no reason why other than maybe it was my last 9 miles in an old pair of shoes before retiring them so I didn't have as much padding as usually. Maybe it was because it was cold and I didn't feel like being outside. Maybe it was because I just want to taper more.

Friday: My running store was having a sale of buy one item of clothing get one free so I went and got a singlet and a sports bra. It was kind of interesting since they have four branches and the branch by my work had the singlet in my size while I found the branch by my house had the bra. It was a clearance bra so the two items cost the same amount so it was a really good deal. I had to run my miles before my nail appointment so I ran my run a bit fast. I also started to read Hanson's Marathon Method that night so then I felt a bit bad about going fast.

Saturday: So I had promised L I would trade in my shoes from Thursday's run on Saturday at a third branch of my local running store because that day's promotion was 20% off of a pair of shoes if you brought in an old pair to donate. She needs a new pair of shoes but doesn't have a running store close by so I had agreed to pick up a pair. Then we went to our local running chain store (Roadrunner Sports) because I get my inserts there (they are custom and they fit my feet nicely). While I was there they had 25% off if you spent over $150 so I ended up getting L another pair of running shoes and a pair for myself. They also had Vanilla Hammer Gel which is a pain to find because every time I search for it Amazon recommends Gu or Clif instead so I bought a whole box of that. After that I did my run in the rain.

Sunday: I did 7 miles in the morning which was nice. Not much to say here. Excited for this week's taper.

Bonus: I did end up running on Christmas. When I saw that on the schedule when I got my training plan I was like 'yeah right' but actually I ended up having time so I did it. This week is pretty easy. Apparently that last tempo that I have tomorrow that I thought was 7 miles is actually 9 so we'll see how much of that actually gets done. I'm pretty busy this week. Now we're in the final stretch though so I should probably do it.

I also got some purple running clothes for Christmas, obvi.

Week 36 (12/218-1/1):
Monday: 4mi @ EA
Tuesday: 1 mile @ WU + 7 mi @ Tempo + 1 mile @ CD
Thursday: 4mi @ EA
Friday: 4 mi @ EB
Saturday: 3 mi @ EA
Sunday: 3 mi @EA

BONUS:
Monday: 3mi @ EB

Monday: I spoke about this last week but it was a run I didn't think I would end up doing but then I did.

Tuesday: I did this. Not as fast as I think I planned and not for as long (I got 7.55mi I think) but I did it. It was freezing but it was also the last effort of more than 4 mi so I finished.

Thursday: I did that. I was super bundled up because it got even colder.

Friday: I waited until mid-day because it was so cold.

Saturday: It snowed and I normally would have run through it but with the cold and it being so close to marathon weekend I skipped out.

Sunday: I ran three miles in a circle around my block with L who was visiting. I had been invited to a mimosa loop with the local running club but the path we use would not have been cleared unlike my roadway which was salted to death.

Bonus: I ran yesterday. It was a bit slow and a bit cold but it was done.

Now it's time for Marathon Weekend. It still doesn't seem real. I was surprised at how much space running clothes take up.

Now it's time for Marathon Weekend. It still doesn't seem real. I was surprised at how much space running clothes take up.
LOL! I'm so excited and so distracted by the logistics of packing all these throw-away clothes!

LOL! I'm so excited and so distracted by the logistics of packing all these throw-away clothes!
The crazy thing is I think I have two throwaway shirts and one pair of throwaway sweat pants. The rest is 8 sets of a running clothes (cool weather/warm weather) a few accessories for running (gloves, hats, headbands, etc.) and fuel (Vanilla Hammer Gel, Pear Sports Beans, and Orange Skratch Gummies) it's really coming down to how many other clothes are going to make it into the bag because I'll be wearing the shirts I get at the expo for any day's worth of clothes that doesn't fit.

I forgot to do a year in review kind of thing. I want to do one real quick since I head down to the race weekend soon.

Accomplishments of 2017:
- Rode a bike without dying
- Completed my first triathlon
- Broke a 1hr 5 miler
- PRed with a 2:00:55 10 Miler
- PRed a 5k
- Ran 375 more miles this year than I did last year (a total of 875)

Goals for 2018:
- Finish Dopey
- PR the Marathon (Given)
- PR a Half Marathon (Not necessarily during Dopey)
- Break 2hr in a 10 Miler
- Break 35 min in a 5k
- Do another triathlon
- Improve on the bike
- Keep Running

Goals for Marathon Weekend:
- The Marathon:
- Overall Goal: Finish
- B Goal: Sub 6 hours. This is very doable so long as I don't crash for some reason and don't stop too much.
- A Goal: Sub 5:45. This is also doable but would require I don't really make any stops for bathroom and characters so it will depend on my mood
- The Half Marathon:
- Overall Goal: Finish
- B Goal: PR, should be doable given I haven't done a half in over a year.
- A Goal: Sub 2:45? I guess. This was my A goal at my last half and my ability to do so will depend on stops. It's definitely within my abilities but I'm not pushing myself during Dopey with the marathon the next day
- Have fun
- Lapu Lapu
- Jingle Cruise
- Flights of Passage
- Hurricane Hannah's on Friday

Hello all!

It's been more than a week since the Dopey Challenge and I've posted bits and pieces of the experience elsewhere about it already. I haven't said too much here because a part of it still feels unreal. I think a part of that feeling is that despite the sore feet throughout the marathon and the slowed pace given days in the parks I feel great overall. I was a little sore the evening of the marathon but by the next morning I slept in and felt almost normal. It wasn't like some of the horror stories I've read where people say their legs hurt for days and even during the race I never truly hit the dreaded 'wall'. I slowed down at parts but I never felt like I couldn't finish or wanted to walk (except through some narrow water stations to avoid collisions) or throw in the towel. I have to attribute a lot of that to my training plan. @DopeyBadger wrote to me when he sent it that maxing out at 11 miles may not seem like much but all together the cumulative fatigue would make it work and while I knew research backed him up and didn't doubt him, I also didn't realize just how good I would feel?

I've taken last week and this week off to think about where I want to go with my running and I think I'd rather not go further right now (though I wouldn't totally rule out a short Ultra one day) and instead I would like to focus on improving the distances I've already run. I will definitely be doing a 10 miler on May 6th. What 10 miler remains to be seen since the lottery for the one I want hasn't opened yet. Beyond that I want to improve my half marathon and my 10k time for sure. I still have to pick a half marathon but a part of me wants to try and complete one in the spring because there's a marathon/half marathon weekend I'm looking at in the fall and I kind of want to aim to do that marathon with the option to drop down to the half (the race allows for it) if necessary.

I've already started to write out some goals for the year and have kind of taken up bullet journaling my training plan because I am like a 5 year-old who wants to put star stickers over my plan every time I finish a training run. Of course I don't have a training plan right now but Billy can expect to hear from me in a week or two when I finalize some of my spring races.

In the mean time, I'm not sure if I should write up my trip report here or as a separate thread. I don't think it's really long enough (especially because it will probably be gifs since I took like ten pictures on my own most of which were of food) to justify it's own thread but I understand if people wanted to view it in a separate place for some reason.

Can't wait to read it!

@DopeyBadger wrote to me when he sent it that maxing out at 11 miles may not seem like much but all together the cumulative fatigue would make it work and while I knew research backed him up and didn't doubt him, I also didn't realize just how good I would feel?

I mean really let that sink in. The furthest you ran in training was 11 miles... yet your description of post-marathon is something out of perfection. Somewhat sore, but still good to go. The amount of work you put in during the training made race day an extremely fulfilling event. Major Kudos!

I was a little sore the evening of the marathon but by the next morning I slept in and felt almost normal.
This was exactly my experience too. I had to keep reminding myself I had run marathon plus the other 3 races!
and instead I would like to focus on improving the distances I've already run.
Excellent idea! Best of luck revisiting those miles (hopefully faster)!

I mean really let that sink in. The furthest you ran in training was 11 miles... yet your description of post-marathon is something out of perfection. Somewhat sore, but still good to go. The amount of work you put in during the training made race day an extremely fulfilling event. Major Kudos!
I really did feel good. I think having a first marathon experience like that took me from being in the one and done populations who decide not to run another marathon to looking forward to doing one again one day. Thank you so much for the wonderful plan.

This was exactly my experience too. I had to keep reminding myself I had run marathon plus the other 3 races!
I know it really was crazy. In a good way.

Excellent idea! Best of luck revisiting those miles (hopefully faster)!
Thanks! I'm looking into races now.

Looking forward to reading about it wherever you post it : )
It will probably be here. I'm kind of lazy and starting a new thread seems like #work.

Trip Report Part 1: Arrival
So, it was bright and early when I got up to head to Disney World.

giphy.gif

After checking in my luggage curbside I went through security. While waiting in security line I noticed something strange however. My cell phone was missing. Just that morning my main goal was not to leave my cellphone in the jacket pocked of the jacket I ditched in the car when I got to the airport. After a momentary panic wondering if someone had grabbed it out of my purse somehow. I assumed I just failed to meet my objective of not leaving my phone behind. I headed through security, got to my gate, and asked if I could borrow their phone to call my mother (one of the five or six numbers I have memorized) to make sure she had my phone. She did luckily and I asked her to text L and let her know I would meet her by Magical Express since I didn't have my phone to tell her what the plan was. Still, the lack of phone was frustrating.

tenor.gif

Luckily I didn't have to wait long until my flight . It was Southwest and I had a low boarding number which meant that I got my coveted window seat. Two kids sat next to me but luckily they decided to sleep rather than try to annoy me. On the plane there were several runners heading down to Disney. There was the woman with the Wine & Dine Jacket, the college student going down with her family to do her first Dopey, and the photographer for all the local winery runs with his niece going down to run the marathon. Once the flight was in the air it was time for drinks. Someone had given me free drink vouchers (yay!) but when the flight attendant brought my drink he didn't even take it, just told me Happy New Years. Happy New Years to you too flight attendant.

happy-new-year-colorful-fireworks-over-city-animated-gif.gif

When I arrived I got my bag (our magical express tags never arrived in time) and headed down to wait until L's flight came in. L's flight was supposed to arrive a half hour after mine but an hour and a half later I started to grow concerned when she hadn't appeared. I asked the Magical Express cast member if they could double check her flight (I didn't remember the number just the airline and arrival time) since I had given them that info when I called to book magical express and get our luggage tags (since we all were arriving separate). He told me there was no reservation system for magical express and if I had my magic band and hotel reservation at WDW I would be good.

tenor.gif

I asked a girl sitting near me if I could borrow her phone to call my mother to see if she could tell me what was up with L's flight. She told me her phone was dead.

DemandingUntriedGypsymoth-max-1mb.gif

Luckily I found a nice woman who let me call but of course my mother didn't answer from a strange cell phone number (honestly it's impressive she answered when I was at the airline counter). I was very relieved when L arrived a few minutes later with an apology. Apparently her flight had been rerouted. It was all okay though because she was here now. We hopped on the Magical Express, excited to start our journey to Disney World!

tenor.gif

Waiting for anything(anyone) at the airport is so stressful. Glad the children beside you were peaceful, that is a trigger for me too.

I will also 2nd not surviving without a phone. In fact that is how DD got her first phone. We had gone to a swim meet out of town(which in AK means a 2hr plane ride) and discovered leaving my phone in the car at airport. Since the meet info, times, etc are all on the internet that meant first stop would be ATT&T. So apon returning DD got my old phone and I had a shiny new one. Glad you found some nice folks and that your mom had yours. Excited to hear how the rest of your weekend went.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!