I read the FAQ but had a question - can you ride in between return times?

Anabelletoronto

Mouseketeer
I have cancer so I get tired very easily. I can't stand in a one hour line. I am hoping to get a return time for long lines and use FP for other long waits.

If I go to Space Mountain at 10am and get a return time of 11am, can I go ride some other rides in the meantime with short waits? Or do I just have to wait outside the line and relax?

And to clarify. If I also have a FP at 10:30am for another ride, I should make sure another person in my party clicks their wrist band first, or it would cancel my return time? Does that mean I could also use this as a way to cancel my return time without having to go back to space mountain?

So if the only issue is that you get tired, that would be considered a mobility issue, and they would expect you to use a wheelchair, scooter, rollator, etc. To get a DAS, you need to have some other issue that makes it difficult for you to stand in line. You will still get a return line for a few rides, but only those that don't have a wheelchair accessible line, which I think, if I can recall correctly from other threads started about this, is only about three rides that will give you return times.

In that case, yes, you could go on another ride with a short wait time. I'm not sure on some of the details of your other questions.

If you had a das, yes you could ride things with short lines or use a fast pass while you wait for your return times. You might get a das, but there is the possibility you will be denied, because generally Disney considers fatigue to be a mobility issue. I would still ask for the das, but have a backup plan in case they say no. Also, we have used the das and found it very helpful, but it does sometimes require a lot of extra walking to use it, which might be as tiring as standing in a line, so please take that into consideration when making your plans

As others have said, if you have a DAS, you can do whatever you want until the return time. You can only have 1 DAS return time at any time, but it's opened ended, meaning that you can return anytime AFTER the the time on the DAS. It's not a locked in window like a fast pass. This actually means that you will probably be on your feet and moving around a lot more than shuffling in a line.

However, fatigue alone is unlikely to qualify for a DAS. As others have noted, it will likely be determined to be a mobility issue, handled by a wheelchair, ECV or other device. Another thing to consider if fatigue is a major consideration is that Disney has been removing benches and seating. A mobility device would ensure that you have a place to sit and rest if needed. I know it's a step that a lot of people don't want to take, but look at it as a tool to increase your (and your party's) enjoyment of the parks.

Have a wonderful trip!

I don't want a wheelchair. I couldn't do that to my child. She would be devastated to see me in a wheelchair. And yes, a wheelchair isn't the end of the world but for a 6 year old who has watched you in hospital, then saw all your hair fall out - it would be hard to handle.
And we will likely get a stroller at some point. I don't think we can do a stroller and a wheelchair. Lol. My poor husband.
So we will try our best to FP the other long lines and do good planning.

I don't want a wheelchair. I couldn't do that to my child. She would be devastated to see me in a wheelchair. And yes, a wheelchair isn't the end of the world but for a 6 year old who has watched you in hospital, then saw all your hair fall out - it would be hard to handle.
And we will likely get a stroller at some point. I don't think we can do a stroller and a wheelchair. Lol. My poor husband.

Firstly a big virtual hug to you :hug: as being a mum is hard especially when you're sick; as even when you're going through it, you stay strong for you kiddos!

I think the guys on the thread just want you to be prepared if you don't get the DAS pass.

So I would say have two plans, one if you do get the DAS; and yes you can do a quick queue for another ride, use a FP while you wait for your return time.

Then another plan for if you don't get it, where if you don't want to use a wheelchair or a EVC, you build in lots of breaks or splitting your day to go back to your hotel for an afternoon rest up to regain your strength.

But whatever happens I hope you and your family have the most magical trip ever :tinker:

Thanks. First I read this post and thought, no, I'm fine. I don't need sympathy like other people. I'm good. And that's when I realize how much I'm in denial. A wheelchair would probably be harder for me to handle mentally than my child to be honest

We have planned short days, starting late and breaks either at the resort or sit down meals

As other have said a DAS is not for stamina issues, with this said you can ask for one, but if you get a DAS I can see having some type of mobility device very very helpful to you. as there are less and less places to sit, I just came back from Disney and use a DAS and I walked over 4-8 miles a day. ( some days I took a 3-hour break in my room, and still walked, 5 miles this day)

your child know you are sick. SO I would just say look mommy is sick and I get tierd so one thing mommy will do on this vacation to save my energy is use a wheel chair/ECV/ roller. This will help mommy to rest so that we can enjoy the park more. as one poster on the Dis says ( and I am sorry I forget who) look at it as a toll, just like glasses are a tool to see better hearing aids are a tool to hear better, a caculter a tool to do math better, sell chak a tool to speel better, a strooler a tool to help a smell chaild enjoy the park longer. a wheel chair ECV or a rooler is just a tool to help you enjy the park loger.

you do not need to use it all the time. you can park what ever you are using in the land or area you are in and walk around some.

since you have a stroller already I would look at an ECV so that you r husband can drive the stroller and you can use the ECV.

in all DO NOT be afraid to use a tool to help your vacation, tell your child in advance why and let them know what they can do to help you out. Things like you know mom has cancer and because I have cancer I get tired very easy so mom will use a ____ to help mom enjoy the park, it would really help mom if you could ______ ( maybe help with getting you things you of a bag, maybe getting you your water, or finding a shady place for you to park,) but letting them know before hand why you are using a mobility device and what they can do to help you might make a big difference.

Even with her wheelchair my daughter struggles with fatigue. We always stay onsite to make it easier to go back and rest if we need to. We also rent a car instead of using the buses. If you are tired the wait for a bus can seem so long, then you will likely have to stand on the bus, then sometimes the buses make multiple stops. So having our own car just makes it so much easier. We have two types of plans on how we attack the day. The first is to go to parks that have extra magic hours for resort guests, and be there at rope drop. You can get a lot done without too much wait first thing. Then back to room for a rest, and return in evening for a few more hours. Altetnatively, if we want to skip the nap, we sleep in so she's well rested, and make dining reservations at a sit down restaurant for midday for a break. Then leave early in the evenings. Do your research and know what things you must do and which things you don't mind skipping, and accept before you go that you won't be able to do anything. I would do two touring plans, one for if you get das and one if you dont. Even with dad you need a good plan so you can minimize extra walking and avoid crisscrossing the park. My daughter is 9, and there is just no way she could do the parks without her wheelchair, even though she doesn't usually need it. You mention what your kids will think, and also that they might need a stroller. Is your child big enough to push him in a wheelchair instead of a stroller? He might think it's a fun way to get around the park, then if you are faced with a long line he can stand in the line while you have a place to sit in the line. Other people push around the empty chair, and only use it when they need a place to sit. Or you could just park it somewhere, and get it just when you want it for long lines. Just some ideas

Get an ECV. Rent offsite. There are going to be plenty of people in ECVs.

A six year old in a stroller - does she use one at home? It's kind of the same thing you know - it's more walking than you are used to - stroller for the kid, ECV for the mom.

Be honest with her. It's a tool so you all don't have to stop every 20 minutes and "miss all the things" because Mommy is worn out and needs another break.

After all, you just pointed out she is six and she's getting her own chair with wheels to enjoy this immense property of Disney!

You are alive and able to enjoy life, despite your struggles, you TOO get a chair with wheels, Uh huh, yes you do! Adults can totally be selfish about their self-care. ;)

Have a great trip!

If you are dead-set against a wheelchair, I agree that a ECV might be the way to go--in my experience, they are looked upon by small children as "motor cycles" and are therefore cool. We had a trip to Disney planned last year, and 10 days before, my dad got sick and almost died. He was released from hospital, and went to Disney 4 days later--stubborn man. He resisted the ECV the first day, and saw the error of his ways by day two. He rented one the rest of the week, and it was very liberating. Plus my 6 year old and 8 year old were jealous Grandpa got to ride in a cool scooter--and it allowed us to use the wheelchair access, which meant less standing. Most rides, you can ride the ECV into the waiting area of the handicap entrance--and then you just do your line waiting there--much less walking, and you'd be able to do more.

Rent an ECV from an off site vendor. It is cheaper and it allows you to have the ECV for the long walk to the bus and back to your room. You'll also have it for Disney Springs.

It is important to be aware that most attractions do not have a separate handicapped line.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter