I really think DCA is going to do it!

Judy from Boise

Watch out – might take away your
I just finished the excellent Miceage DCA update, and I am getting excited about DCA. I have always enjoyed DCA, especially having spent so much time at WDW, which is certainly the vibe you get from DCA with it's wide sidewalks, longer walks to attractions, and less themeing per foot. However I usually used the park as an afternoon filler and a great place to eat lunch or an early dinner.
But What I am now feeling about DCA is that this is a park I will want to spend time in after dark. For me that is huge. Disney after dark are the most precious hours one has to spend on any trip. I think that lagoon, with all the reflections of the ride lighting, not to mention the WOC show, will rival any other park at it's best. And, since DCA has so many outdoor rides, you will get that view, the atsmophere, music, etc both walking much of the park and while riding attractions.

What do you think?

I agree 100%! My only qualm is that rates at the PP are going to go up now for view rooms.

And I just have to add, GO BSU!!!!!

I am excited about DCA finishing its expansion because it will be much easier to talk DH into a multiple-day trip again!

After our multi-day trip in October, we (he) decided that we'll wait to do DCA again for a few years because our two youngest are too small for some of the Paradise Pier attractions, which was frustrating with two older kids to please. He said with three years of growth (for the kids and DCA:)), we'll make another big trip in 2012. We did have a grand time in the fall; he is just not as Disney-crazed as me.

Don't feel too bad for me; I am working on a WDW trip for next year. And I know we'll do Disneyland proper, just on day trips from my parents' in OC.

PHXscuba

I have, and the family, have always enjoyed DCA. It is definately more mellow. This last August it was much busier than the previous years, same time frame.
I love the pier area to relax and to watch the people.

Jack

I am very excited about the future of DCA but I still think it is short of a few attractions. I like the thought of Little Mermaid and a major Test Track sort of ride in Carsland and of course WOC but I feel it needs something else. Maybe a Mickey's Phillharmagic or an indoor midlevel coaster like the Snow White Diamond Mine attraction. A great park is one where you can't get everything done easily and you want to ride several again and again.

I just posted this over in another thread but it seems fitting here too! While I am excited about the changes happening at DCA (most of all, the Little Mermaid ride, which I think is loooong overdue for Disney), I wonder if I am the only one who hates the fact that so many things are being disrupted simultaneously in a seemingly short span of time. First we have all of these walls up in DCA, interrupting the flow of foot traffic. Then, there is the whole eyesore that is the bay while the WoC crews work their magic. I personally liked the mouse icon/shape in California Screamin' and I am sorry that was removed. Certain shops and dining establishments have closed. Aladdin will be long gone before Toy Story: The Musical ever debuts, leaving the Hyperion dark for months. Not to mention the other disruptions in the Paradise Pier area, the parking situation and over at the former Golden Dreams Theatre.

I get the fact that Disney is trying to make a valiant effort to revamp DCA quickly and lure in more people, and I think the finished product will be great, but there are so many things happening at once right now that it upsets the flow of the park for me. I would also be willing to bet that many 'uneducated' Disney fans (meaning the ones who neither visit DISboards nor Micechat but just enjoy the park as an amusement park) probably don't realize that DCA has many attractions open right now. Popular opinion is probably that the whole park is under construction (again, these would be the uninformed ones who don't really follow everything Disney does) and that there is little to do there while it is happening. I would also bet that this incorrect assumption probably contributed in some way to DL being even more crazy crowded than usual this past holiday season. Many people likely assume that they will just visit DCA when it is all finished in a couple of years (minimum) because there is 'nothing to go on or see' in DCA at the moment and so they all pack into DL.

Great game. BSU's QB comes from a small town about 20 minutes north of where I live. What about the national championship?

Jack

our ex QB Zabrinsky came out of your neck of the woods too then.......

I think the system needs a revamp for all WAC team's sake. Personally I am always more comfortable as the underdog, so the ranking thing is a double edged sword !

Great game... It's too bad they had to play TCU... I'd like to have seen a BCS game that included at least 1 team from a BCS conference. It would hold more weight if BSU had beaten Florida or Cincinatti. Time to do away with this whole "BCS Conference" crap. We need an 8 team playoff system.

BTW... Hawaii is gonna be the WAC champs next year! :thumbsup2

HHHmmmmm I think I heard that one before my friend :)

But you against any other non WAC team, and i am there for ya!

I agree the whole system needs a re-vamp since it is almost some "restraint of trade" issues when it means such big $ to programs.

I just posted this over in another thread but it seems fitting here too! While I am excited about the changes happening at DCA (most of all, the Little Mermaid ride, which I think is loooong overdue for Disney), I wonder if I am the only one who hates the fact that so many things are being disrupted simultaneously in a seemingly short span of time. First we have all of these walls up in DCA, interrupting the flow of foot traffic. Then, there is the whole eyesore that is the bay while the WoC crews work their magic. I personally liked the mouse icon/shape in California Screamin' and I am sorry that was removed. Certain shops and dining establishments have closed. Aladdin will be long gone before Toy Story: The Musical ever debuts, leaving the Hyperion dark for months. Not to mention the other disruptions in the Paradise Pier area, the parking situation and over at the former Golden Dreams Theatre.

I get the fact that Disney is trying to make a valiant effort to revamp DCA quickly and lure in more people, and I think the finished product will be great, but there are so many things happening at once right now that it upsets the flow of the park for me. I would also be willing to bet that many 'uneducated' Disney fans (meaning the ones who neither visit DISboards nor Micechat but just enjoy the park as an amusement park) probably don't realize that DCA has many attractions open right now. Popular opinion is probably that the whole park is under construction (again, these would be the uninformed ones who don't really follow everything Disney does) and that there is little to do there while it is happening. I would also bet that this incorrect assumption probably contributed in some way to DL being even more crazy crowded than usual this past holiday season. Many people likely assume that they will just visit DCA when it is all finished in a couple of years (minimum) because there is 'nothing to go on or see' in DCA at the moment and so they all pack into DL.

While I kinda agree, I'm not sure how you can do a major rehaul any other way. There really is no "best time" to drain the lagoon for 12 months because no matter where you start, 12 months is still 12 months, a long time. The fact is that the attractions that DCA needs (highly immersive, well themed, family attractions) take time to build.

Think about it, Carsland is taking more than 2 years to build. Fortunately, that doesn't concern any traffic patterns like some of the other projects. But WoC is taking about 1.5 years, ASA is taking about 2 years, and the new entrance also 2 years. If you wait in between projects, the whole thing would take about 10 years (including all of the smaller projects: trolleys, SSS, Goofy's Sky School, etc.). That is entirely far too long. While all of the construction walls really suck, it's better in the long run. Anyway, the WoC walls should be down within a month or so. :)

While I kinda agree, I'm not sure how you can do a major rehaul any other way. There really is no "best time" to drain the lagoon for 12 months because no matter where you start, 12 months is still 12 months, a long time. The fact is that the attractions that DCA needs (highly immersive, well themed, family attractions) take time to build.

Think about it, Carsland is taking more than 2 years to build. Fortunately, that doesn't concern any traffic patterns like some of the other projects. But WoC is taking about 1.5 years, ASA is taking about 2 years, and the new entrance also 2 years. If you wait in between projects, the whole thing would take about 10 years (including all of the smaller projects: trolleys, SSS, Goofy's Sky School, etc.). That is entirely far too long. While all of the construction walls really suck, it's better in the long run. Anyway, the WoC walls should be down within a month or so. :)

Yeah, I do understand all of that. It's not that I don't get why they have to do it this way. I understand all the reasons why they can't spread it out over a decade. But there is an awful lot of visible stuff happening at once - and of course, the Hyperion will be dark for months between August of this year and 2011, and that is a big disruption because DCA is lacking attractions as it is, so to remove their hit show Aladdin and not put a new show in the theater until sometime in 2011 is a risk.

And I just cannot help but think, as I said in my earlier post, that all this work happening at DCA is contributing in a way to the massive, ever-increasing crowds at DL, because the uninformed people who are just casual DLR fans and who don't follow everything DLR does to the letter (like we all do here!:rotfl2:) probably think that there is too much construction happening in DCA and not much to ride or see, so they stick with DL and as a result, everyone is packed in like sardines! "We'll just go to DCA when they finish all the work in a few years," is probably a commonly uttered sentence. People get turned off to all the walls and the drained bay and this show being down or that attraction being down or that shop/restaurant being closed - and it is all so much more noticeable in DCA, because DCA is such a small park compared to DL. If it were a huge park with lots and lots to do already, individual things they are working on may not seem too obvious. But since it was already lacking in attractions (and a bit of 'magic'), this process of revamping DCA is really in-your-face. I know the end result will be worth all the effort, and I understand they have to do it all now, but I think it is causing some temporary negative side effects over in DL.

I am excited about DCA finishing its expansion because it will be much easier to talk DH into a multiple-day trip again!

After our multi-day trip in October, we (he) decided that we'll wait to do DCA again for a few years because our two youngest are too small for some of the Paradise Pier attractions, which was frustrating with two older kids to please. He said with three years of growth (for the kids and DCA:)), we'll make another big trip in 2012. We did have a grand time in the fall; he is just not as Disney-crazed as me.

Don't feel too bad for me; I am working on a WDW trip for next year. And I know we'll do Disneyland proper, just on day trips from my parents' in OC.

PHXscuba

I won't feel bad for you, I'll be jealous of your day trips. :) We aren't going back until probably 2012, maybe 2011 if we just can't stand it, but the plan is 2012. But we don't have family in OC that we can use as a day trip base either. Lucky!! :)

I am very excited about the future of DCA but I still think it is short of a few attractions. I like the thought of Little Mermaid and a major Test Track sort of ride in Carsland and of course WOC but I feel it needs something else. Maybe a Mickey's Phillharmagic or an indoor midlevel coaster like the Snow White Diamond Mine attraction. A great park is one where you can't get everything done easily and you want to ride several again and again.

But DCA has rides I want to ride over and over again. From TSMM to Soarin' to Tower to that silly little Heimlich's Chew Chew Train (I love that silly little ride! LOL). I'm excited too but I do see DCA as a place I want to go to again and again.

I'm glad they are doing a bunch at once. I will tolerate the drained lake and walls to get it done faster. And if more people avoid DCA for now, more room for me. ;)

I didn't hear about that Toy Story show though. We might be going the first week in Aug. Is there a hard date for the Aladdin show ending?

I'm glad they are doing a bunch at once. I will tolerate the drained lake and walls to get it done faster. And if more people avoid DCA for now, more room for me. ;)

I didn't hear about that Toy Story show though. We might be going the first week in Aug. Is there a hard date for the Aladdin show ending?

Over on Micechat, it's reported to be closing August 15th. You'll make it just in time! :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter