I Think I’m Overreacting (Hurricane Michael)

gayles

DIS Veteran
We leave in 4 Days .... I know no one knows what will actually happen with Storm & it is on the Gulf side Coast . should I be Freaking out about Disney Closing . our trip is Oct. 12-16 .

You are definitely overreacting. But it’s okay!

I’ll be there the 12-15 ;)

Living in South FL, I’ve been through too many hurricanes to count. Disney will not flood, things will not be cancelled. The fact that Disney will get hit with bands is not threatening to me at all. It will also be gone from the Orlanda area by Friday.

I’m semi freaking out too.
We leave tomorrow.
I’m not worried it will close just that we’ll get a lot of rain Wednesday and Thursday.

I’m semi freaking out too.
We leave tomorrow.
I’m not worried it will close just that we’ll get a lot of rain Wednesday and Thursday.
Looking at the maps, I believe you will. Plan on it and be prepared

I'm also leaving in 4 days. (12-19) I was freaking out slightly as well but having local Floridians confirm that it will most likely be gone by Friday has me breathing a little easier. We have a kayak trip scheduled in titusville Friday night to see the bioluminescent algae and jelly fish, and I'm crossing fingers it's not cancelled due to weather. We dont have any leeway in our trip for a reschedule

Yes, honestly I think it's dramatic overreaction. It's not predicted to go anywhere near WDW. Even if it gets close, you'll be fine.

I'm also leaving in 4 days. (12-19) I was freaking out slightly as well but having local Floridians confirm that it will most likely be gone by Friday has me breathing a little easier. We have a kayak trip scheduled in titusville Friday night to see the bioluminescent algae and jelly fish, and I'm crossing fingers it's not cancelled due to weather. We dont have any leeway in our trip for a reschedule
Hurricanes are certainly no laughing matter, but these are the type of jokes you’ll see from certain South Floridians
C5643E41-FE95-4951-85FC-B90B271330FE.jpeg
Your kayaking trip sounds amazing. I am wishing you the best! Have a wonderful trip!

Well I'm a happy camper. Possible tropical storm conditions for Wednesday- our dessert buffet night.

Last edited:
Having been in many hurricanes, they are 'never' a joking matter to us, but if Michael continues on forecast map, WDW may get a soaking for a few days, but not much more.

True, sometimes the NE quadrant can have threat of tornadoes, that is something that can't be early predicted and can happen in any bad thunderstorms also.

Just enjoy your trip if you don't mind the rains. :)

Hurricanes are certainly no laughing matter, but these are the type of jokes you’ll see from certain South Floridians
View attachment 356805
Your kayaking trip sounds amazing. I am wishing you the best! Have a wonderful trip!
My co-worker and I were actually talking about that last night. He said a cat 1 is essentially just a regular storm, maybe a little more windy and an inch more rain. Although he was the one giving me anxiety over it to begin with ha! We work with FEMA during hurricane season and I have not heard of a team being placed together for Florida as of yet. I'll probably freak out though if I get notice we have to prepare a team to fly out that way. We booked with A Day Away Kayak Tours. They seem to have good reviews so crossing fingers! And thank you!! Hopefully your time in Disneyworld is amazing as well!

We are in the panhandle and we are actually planning to head to Disney. Our local facebook page for our city was filled with other families planning to do the same.

My co-worker and I were actually talking about that last night. He said a cat 1 is essentially just a regular storm, maybe a little more windy and an inch more rain. Although he was the one giving me anxiety over it to begin with ha! We work with FEMA during hurricane season and I have not heard of a team being placed together for Florida as of yet. I'll probably freak out though if I get notice we have to prepare a team to fly out that way. We booked with A Day Away Kayak Tours. They seem to have good reviews so crossing fingers! And thank you!! Hopefully your time in Disneyworld is amazing as well!
I’m always looking for new things to do in Orlando. That’s a great suggestion, thanks!

I actually worry about hurricanes in South Fl more than Disney. Because I’m a nurse, I’d have to work either the before/during or after shift once a hurricane warning is in effect. That’ll ruin a trip right there. And yes, in my experience, cat 1’s and TS’s are similar to a rainy day. We’ve been lucky.

My worry is my flight that arrives at noon. This thing looks to be hitting the panhandle and if predictions are right, should be hitting land just about the time we'd be flying over the panhandle. #Ihavealltheluck

We fly in Wednesday at 1. On an Allegiant flight. Crossing my fingers that we get to go.

Allegiant is cheap, but they only fly on certain days. Not really sure what happens with weather delays.

Any thoughts for a few days down the road? We are landing in Tampa (flying from the NE area) on Saturday (10/13) for our 8 day Disney trip. Trying not to worry too much.

We fly in Wednesday at 1. On an Allegiant flight. Crossing my fingers that we get to go.

Allegiant is cheap, but they only fly on certain days. Not really sure what happens with weather delays.
That's the downside of Allegiant. I've flown them before and had a good experience, but if they cancel a flight you're just out of luck. Not sure I'd be in any better shape with Southwest, but there are possibilities. Southwest is already allowing re-booking for Pensacola. We're due to land at noon so...hoping this thing slows down, speeds up or goes away.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter