I Think I’m Overreacting (Hurricane Michael)

Any thoughts for a few days down the road? We are landing in Tampa (flying from the NE area) on Saturday (10/13) for our 8 day Disney trip. Trying not to worry too much.

You should be fine. The storm should be pretty far north by Friday night. Anything residual will be just normal storm conditions.

Watching Michael closely. We're supposed to fly into N. Florida on Wednesday. There are now blizzard predictions for our departing airport and if Michael just smidges a bit to the east, it'll impact our N. FL airport. Then we're driving south to Orlando on Thursday.

Oh well, I've been to WDW during a tropical storm before. The silver lining is little to no lightning, so can continue park touring in lower crowds.

Also current predictions have it making landfall as a Cat 3 in the FL panhandle. Prediction if it comes in early Wednesday it may drift a bit west. If it comes in late Wednesday, it's supposed to drift a bit east, which would impact our arrival airport.

For those of you arriving today, tomorrow and Thursday, could you all keep us updated on how your trip is going? Like weather and if your flights were delayed or anything? I've got a connecting in ATL to MCO, which is somewhat in the way of the storm. We are coming in to ATL from AZ which also has a storm heading toward us this week. Just cant seem to get a break with these storms!

As I was checking in for our flight tomorrow I got the alert that Orlando had been added to Southwest's re-booking policy. So I went ahead and re-booked to leave this afternoon. Hopefully we won't have any issues, but haven't checked the weather yet to even see where this thing is. I'm lucky that there was an AP rate available at a resort so it didn't cost me a fortune. I'd rather risk it today while I still have options that wait until tomorrow when I don't. Scambling to get finished packing and getting ready to leave at this hour of the morning is crazy.

I think the biggest issue will be traveling, especially if you are driving as you might have to drive through it.

We fly in Wednesday at 1. On an Allegiant flight. Crossing my fingers that we get to go.

Allegiant is cheap, but they only fly on certain days. Not really sure what happens with weather delays.

This is my concern as well... I'm flying from Virginia to Sanford tomorrow evening right around the time that Michael is scheduled to make landfall, so I'm worried it will get canceled and the next Allegiant flight out of my town is Friday. We have plans to go to MK Thursday so the rain is concerning as well even if the flight doesn't get canceled.

Another Florida native here, just agreeing that this storm won't be a problem for Disney. The worst you'll need to worry about at the parks will be wind and rain similar to a normal rain storm, as others have said.

The local forecast this evening wasn’t expecting any major impact from Michael. The chance of rain was around 30% which is typical this time of year. The big weather news here is the arrival of a Cold Front on Friday which will drop overnight temps into the low to mid 60’s Friday and Saturday. They said our chance of rain was going to go down, which sometimes happens as a hurricane draws the moisture in, leaving nearby areas not directly affected sunny and dry. I am expecting some passing showers tomorrow, but no washout, and then good weather the rest of the week.

ETA - haven’t had any rain at all today. Light breeze and normal looking clouds with a peek of sun every now and then. I work about three miles from MCO, and have big windows in the office, so I have a front row seat for airport weather.

Last edited:
We leave Friday late afternoon from providence RI , the storm comes in here tonite , heavy rain . I am so ready for vacation to start .

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter