I think I made a big mistake

I have a trip planned for December 8-13 I'm going with my boyfriend his first trip ever. We are going to see if Disney works for us as a wedding destination:lovestruc. I forgot all about galaxy edge( yes I know dont yell at me) I was just thinking about the beauty of the Christmas decorations not Star wars :(. We can advoid Hollywood studios but will the three other parks be just as crazy

We are going to see if Disney works for us as a wedding destination:lovestruc.
I can save you the trip. I've been at dozens and dozens of weddings at WDW ranging for the most elaborate to the very basic package and I can assure you that it does work as a wedding destination.
We can avoid Hollywood studios but will the three other parks be just as crazy
I think you know the answer to that.

The reality is all of the parks are crazy year around these days, my advice is just go in with the mentality that it is going to be crazy and that you are going to enjoy yourselves anyway and it will be fine.
This :) it will be crazy but so worth it

Are you staying on Property...? Just make your ADR's and Fastpass reservations as soon as you are able. Don't stres out too much, and just go with the knowledge that it's going to be the Holidays and it's going to be crowded and just try to roll with it...

This is something I really do struggle with, so I know from experience.

No trip is going to go perfectly, regardless of how much planning and research you do. Things are going to happen that throws a wrench into your plans.

All that matters is that you'll be spending time with the person you love, doing amazing fun things together, and planning the start of your wonderful lives together.

If you can swing it, try to book Club Level and buy the extra FPs. it's expensive, but having six total FPs a day -- three with no limitations -- can take away a decent amount of stress from the trip, especially if you have other things on your mind like wedding planning.

It sounds exciting! Although I know star wars will be way bigger than pandora, does anyone know the impact on other parks (non AK) when it opened?

I think you're already in the right frame of mind if you were just thinking about how gorgeous the Christmas decorations will be and totally forgot about that big new area that's opening. It being your boyfriends first trip, I wouldn't worry too much about crowds or logistics and just really focus on the atmosphere. You have plenty of time between now & then to make dining reservations if there are restaurants you really want to try, and fastpasses for the rides you guys want to experience. I wouldn't even skip out on visiting Hollywood Studios, just maybe go in knowing that it's going to be crowded. There's no mistake here! You guys will have a great trip.

The impact on other parks will be nutty IMHO.

WDW has it's share of local attendees, annual passholders, and guests who inhabit the parks multiple times per year. However, WDW is largely seen as a destination vacation. For many visitors, WDW is a long trek, a 10 day affair, or a once in lifetime vacation.

Star Wars is a HUGE draw, and it may be a catalyst for many visitors to start planning vacations. The truth is, people coming from New Zealand, India, and Wyoming won't JUST descend on Hollywood Studios, even if they have lightsabers and droids on the brain. They want to experience ALL the parks. Therefore, I believe that attendance will go up across the board.

Then, consider that Disneyland just raised prices, and WDW is getting ready to raise prices for the second time in less than a year. Park attendance seems to be increasing, despite the price increase, and well before the inclusion of a land with a crazy fanbase. If overall park attendance is on the rise prior to a popular, new attraction, it seems logical that overall park attendance would continue to increase with the inclusion of a popular, new attraction.

WDW is building new hotels, adding new means of transportation, and making changes in regard to parking. I would argue that they are expecting a lot more guests than they used to expect. If not, all that stuff is a weird coincidence.

Lastly, some annual passholders talk about suspending their passes for a year or two after SWGE opens. Now, these people have a bit of WDW experience, and they won't necessarily avoid the parks for 2 years. They're just convinced that they will NOT get their money's worth out of annual passes during the initial Star Wars run. They're talking about everything being insanely crowded.

Don't get me wrong, I think you'll have a great time. I just think you have to be careful with expectations and planning. I'd recommend splurging on extras like DAH and EMM if you're able. The upcharge events may offset the large crowds you'll endure on a regular day.

Last edited:
It may very well be nuts. But the holidays are a beautiful time to be in the parks, he won’t know what he’s missing if you miss some attractions you really want to show him, you’ll have plenty of wedding plans to talk about while you wait in lines, and there are tons of fun lounges, hot tubs, and other cozy places on property for you guys to escape to if it does get crazy! Absolutely go for it and have a blast. Congrats!!

Your other option, if you really feel like you made a mistake, is changing your dates. Go during food and wine maybe.

If you can't go during a different time, I'd manage your expectations and pack your patience! December will be a crazy time of year, although, when isn't it busy there these days?

It really depends on what you want to do and your expectations. Do you feel the need to go on every attraction or are you content to meander, do some attractions, shop, watch street performances, look at decorations, resort hop, wander the animal trails at AK? If you feel the need to go on every attraction, it might perhaps be busier than you want. If you are happy to go with the flow and do other things, you'll be fine. Granted, we have been many times, but we were just there over the Christmas holidays for the first time (we usually go first or second week of December ourselves). We went with the expectation that it would be crazy busy which it was. We used our 3 fastpasses for some high draw attractions like FOP, Expedition Everest, Kilimanjaro Safaris. I can't recall if we did standby on anything or not. We spent time at our resort pool (BC) on the hot days, something we've been wanting to do in 3 previous stays but never did. We watched parades, performers, shopped, stopped in lounges, slept in on the days after Christmas, did a bit of resort hopping. We had a great time. The main thing was that we got to spend a lot of time together (we met up with friends for the first 3 days which was also really great) and just talk and relax. I don't know that I'll want to go at that time of year again but we loved our time there.

So honestly I would not bring someone to the parks for their first time in the first couple of months after SWGE opens, not if I want them to want to go back.

It sounds exciting! Although I know star wars will be way bigger than pandora, does anyone know the impact on other parks (non AK) when it opened?

It's really impossible to say, but the buzz I've been hearing is that all of the parks will see an uptick - partially because whenever SWGE is at capacity, people will be locked out and many will decide to visit the other parks....partially because SWGE is going to attract star wars fans that wouldn't normally make the trip to Disney at all. It's going to be really interesting to watch how Disney handles it.

The whole of WDW is a destination not just the parks. If you decide to go during Christmas, make sure to make time to visit as many resorts as possible to see their Christmas decorations. Some of the resorts you can wander for quite some time taking in all their beauty and it gives you a nice break from having to fight the crowds at the parks, especially the resorts along the monorail.

I have a trip planned for December 8-13 I'm going with my boyfriend his first trip ever. We are going to see if Disney works for us as a wedding destination:lovestruc. I forgot all about galaxy edge( yes I know dont yell at me) I was just thinking about the beauty of the Christmas decorations not Star wars :(. We can advoid Hollywood studios but will the three other parks be just as crazy

I think your good either way. Doesn’t get crazy till around the 17th. People have the same work schedules and school closings don’t change cause of galaxys edge opening.

No stress.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter