I *think* I made DH a lifelong Disney Fan! A June 2017 TR (the end 7/19)

I got here as fast as I could! :D We just got home from DL late last night so I'm getting us all organized and settled back in at home. Totally hear you on the post-trip blues. :sad1: At least we always have the next trip to look forward to. Can't wait to read about all your fun adventures!!

Following! That pic of you with the drink? So stinking cute!

Can't wait to read more about your trip

We could hear the EP every night from BLT but from our room we had to lean WAY out and we could sorta see one float- haha! I thought about going down to the pool to watch one night but it never happened. Love your WDW sign picture. It was POURING when we drove under it so I didn't even try!
We saw it one night when we were getting off the boat coming from MK but we didn't stay and watch. Otherwise, we never made an effort to see it. Next trip, I hope to end up on the Bay Lake side OR just put it in the plans to view it. Its just kind of late, especially for the littles...but they'll be older next trip.

I'm signing on for this TR! Can't wait to hear about all of the fun you guys had! Sounds like the drive was fairly uneventful and quick which are good things. Excited to hear more!
Thanks for joining in! More coming up tonight!

Super funny that Chad wanted WL again; my DH chose the same!
Yes, I'm glad we were on the same page!

I agree 100% on the upcoming trips, Epcot area will be a great location come 2020!
Yes, I think after we make it back to WL one more time, we will be okay with trying out somewhere new. And it should work out with all the new stuff being open at DHS by then!

Travel day is progressing nicely it seems. Sorry about the room. I generally skip online check in and take my chances with a CM once we arrive. I've had decent luck with it thus far. We'll see if it continues in September.
Yeh, I may not do online check in next trip but I'll probably still do the TP room fax and see where that gets me. Of course, I am toying with trying for Copper Creek next trip because we would still be at WL but it would be inside the main lodge. We'll see. Its only 709 days or so away...haha.

You caught me with your title! I am glad you were able to help your hubby find his Disney side on this trip! Unfortunately, my own hubby does not get my obsession with WDW and Disney. He will go with me and the kids but he prefers to just stay for a few days.

So, I will be following along on your TR to see if I can find additional ways to get my hubby to hop aboard the Disney Express.
Thank you so much for joining in! True confession - my DH's dad was a HUGE Disney fan. He passed away over 10 years ago, so there is that emotional tie for my DH that probably helped with developing his enjoyment of the trip.

I made it to your TR! I'm so excited to read along and hear all about your adventures with your two boys and husband. It's funny, I am actually considering a name for my TR that is centered around my DH's growing love of Disney. Still haven't settled on a title yet though.
Thanks for joining in! I'm excited to see what you end up deciding for the name.

So far things are looking good. I know you foreshadowed that the first day was a bit bumpy so I'm scared for you to see what it coming next but the fact that you said it's all good after that is comforting. Can't wait to read more! popcorn::
It was rough, emotionally, but it was short-lived! I'll write about it tonight.

Responding quickly while I have internet, as I won't again for the next couple of days. Great start! So looking forward to seeing how everything went.
Yay! Glad you are here, Kelley!

Joining in! Thanks for writing this!
Thank you for reading along!

Following along! It was so much fun following your PTR since our trips were pretty close. Can't wait to hear more!
Thank you!

I got here as fast as I could! :D We just got home from DL late last night so I'm getting us all organized and settled back in at home. Totally hear you on the post-trip blues. :sad1: At least we always have the next trip to look forward to. Can't wait to read about all your fun adventures!!
Hey! Thanks for coming by! I saw all your trip photos on Facebook! Looks like a great trip!

And yes, we at least know we will be back, right?

Following! That pic of you with the drink? So stinking cute!

Can't wait to read more about your trip
Thank you! I should be posting another update tonight. Btw, I tried to follow the link in your signature to your report but it didn't work. I would love to follow along on yours. Can you point me in the right direction?

Thank you! I should be posting another update tonight. Btw, I tried to follow the link in your signature to your report but it didn't work. I would love to follow along on yours. Can you point me in the right direction?

I think I fixed it. Maybe not. You'll notice I have no tech skills. I currently have another update ready but can't get my pics to work :confused:

OK just caught up :D Funny because I'd been wondering when you would start this and I thought it was weird that you hadn't yet! Duh :hyper:
Too bad WL couldn't give you your room request but I'm glad you were happy with your room location anyway

DH popped out with, "I think I would rather stay at WL again."
And of course I love that Chad wants to go back to WL!! I do hope you find your perfect DVC contract!

I think I fixed it. Maybe not. You'll notice I have no tech skills. I currently have another update ready but can't get my pics to work :confused:
The link worked! I'll go over and catch up after I get my promised update done!

Um, why am I just finding out you started this now????? Will be back to read up soon!!
So behind, lady! LOL. ;)

OK just caught up :D Funny because I'd been wondering when you would start this and I thought it was weird that you hadn't yet! Duh :hyper:
Yay! Glad you are here!

Too bad WL couldn't give you your room request but I'm glad you were happy with your room location anyway
No lie...I would have preferred a bay lake side villa. But it didn't make or break the trip and we still enjoyed the resort, regardless.

And of course I love that Chad wants to go back to WL!! I do hope you find your perfect DVC contract!
I know! And after you read the update from tonight, you might be confused....but I'm getting ahead of myself. And thanks for the good luck on the contract. There was one I missed while we were in Disney...but nothing since. However, we do have a while. I'm just impatient and want to get it done!

Day One 6/3/2017 ~ Pool Time and Disney Springs

Okay, so last I left you, we were ready for some pool time. It is a little bit of a hike to the main pool from Boulder Ridge - we missed the BRV pool opening by a couple weeks - but once we got there, we found a free table and got settled. Chad decided to stay back and wait for a server to come by to get us some drinks and a menu for food and I took the boys to the splash pad area. The boys really enjoyed the splash pad but I think Chad was having trouble with the drinks and menu situation. He eventually came over and showed me a drink menu but no food menu. I guess there had been like 4 servers at the pool but now there was only one. So when the guy came, Chad asked for a menu and he only brought him the drink one. Chad seemed very frustrated at this point. Ugh...I was trying to avoid that.

Anyway, I told Chad that I wanted a Cascadia Sangria. I had been waiting a while to try that particular drink and let me say this...it did not disappoint! But I'm getting ahead of myself. We were finally able to order some drinks and get a food menu but it was taking forever for the guy to keep coming back. I eventually got the boys back over to the table and the waiter showed up with the drinks. The sky was starting to look ominous so we asked about moving over at Geyser Point to order food and the waiter said that it was probably a good idea because as soon as it started to rain, people would flock to the covered area. So over to GP we went. We found some seats and I filled up the mugs at the QS window with Fanta Orange for the boys. Then the skies opened up! Pretty good timing, I'd say!

Eventually the waitress came over and we ordered our food. Chad also ordered a different drink. Here's the photo of the drinks (sorry I didn't get it when they were full):
IMG_6123.JPG
Like I mentioned, mine was the Cascadia Sangria (the one in front) and not the last one I got on this trip! I think Chad started out with a Grand Margarita, which is so not like him but I guess its a pool drink, and then ended up with some type of whiskey, which is what he usually drinks at home.

So my DH had a bad habit of smoking cigars. He used to smoke cigarettes and quit on his 40th birthday (5 years ago). However, he eventually became the producer of a cigar show on his radio station so he picked up that nasty habit. Yuck. Anyway, about this time, he needed to go find a smoking section. Fortunately there is one very close to GP. While he was gone, our food came:
IMG_6124.JPG
I got the Lump Crab Cake Sandwich. Excellent choice. Very flavorful. The fries were good, too. I would totally recommend this and easily get it again.

IMG_6125.JPG
Chad got the Bison Cheeseburger. He didn't say too much about it so I think it was fine.

I got the boys the kid's cheeseburger to share. They didn't eat much of it. I should've known and just to let you all know, they lived off peanut butter most of the rest of the trip.

So during our dinner, the rain slacked off a bit but then it just started pouring again. We ended up finishing our meal and decided to make a run for it. Not fun. And with all the construction, it was a bit of a hike to get inside the building. So that didn't make for a pleasant experience. In any case, we made our way back to the room to get changed so we could head to Disney Springs.

I don't know how long it took us to get ready but we were definitely off the time line...and it was still raining! At some point, either right after our early dinner or on the way out to DS, I picked up our rented stroller. We made our way to the car and started toward DS. This is where things went a little sour.

DH started complaining. About the room, about the resort, about the experience there thus far. We hadn't even been to a park yet and he was already writing off Disney. Well, let me just say, that did not go over with this girl. First off - Disney is MY PLACE! You do not just speak ill will of my favorite place on the planet like that! Secondly - it has been my DREAM to stay at WL for forever, don't go crapping all over it. And lastly - do you know how much work I put into the trip????? And he just dismisses it before it had even started.

So, I went off...but I didn't just go off. I cried, too. And I told him how selfish he was because this was incredibly important to me. And how rude and unappreciative he was. And how he need not worry because I would NEVER, EVER ask him to go with us to Disney again.

Oh and did I mention it was still pouring down rain? Miserably so.

Eventually, in all the weather, puddles, and traffic, we made it to the parking garage. We made it down from the parking garage and Chad, as planned, went west toward Sosa Family Cigars. I got the boys situated under the rain cover in the stroller and I had my umbrella and we headed to the Lego Store:
IMG_6127.JPG
Oh and I forgot to mention that I had different outfits for the boys to wear to DS, but DH had gotten them dressed and put their travel outfits back on. So you may notice, they are in the same shirts as the photos from 7am before we left our house! D'oh!

Let me explain how me dealing with a 5 and 3 year old by myself isn't very conducive to shopping. One of these trips, I will get this DS thing figured out. Most of my DS plans just went out the window. I was able to get to the Lego Store, World of Disney, and Amorette's Patisserie but that is it. At the Lego Store, I let the boys spend about half of their money. They both had gotten $100 bills from my parents right before the trip and $50 gift cards for Christmas from Chad's mom and step-dad. They both got two Lego sets. Will's was fine because it was big Legos and I had told them they could play with those in the room but AJ's were small pieces and even he had acknowledged that he would have to wait til home to open them up. Well, fyi, that didn't last long but I'm getting ahead of myself again. Needless to say, I won't do DS, or more specifically, the Lego Store in the beginning of the trip again.

one good thing about the Lego Store is that it isn't huge and is fairly open, so it was easy to keep track of the boys on my own, but we headed to World of Disney next and let's just say I think I had several heart attacks there. That place is huge and it was a madhouse. I swear to you, I "lost" Will a few times and thank goodness AJ was able to help me find him. All the while, Chad had started back from the cigar shop but stopped at the Polite Pig for a drink. Must be nice.....

Anyway, he ended up showing up and then we went searching for him a hat that we never found. We did end up with some plates and cups for the boys, a car decal and a BatB rose cup for me, toys for the boys, and maybe a shirt for Chad? In any case, I paid with my Disney VISA so we would get the 10% off and we left. I made them stop and let me go into Amorette's, where I felt rushed so I just went with my standard chocolate covered strawberries, which I left in the car, btw, and they ruined. SMH.

We eventually made it back to the car, somewhat waterlogged, and headed back to the resort. I *think* this is where DH made his profuse apologies for his earlier statements and for being selfish, rude, and unappreciative. I wasn't quite ready to totally forgive him, but I did appreciate the effort and in the interest of having a good vacation, I accepted it and moved on.

And in the interest of not dragging out this update any longer, I'll just say we got back to the resort and made our way to bed because we had a date with a castle early the next morning!

Up next: Day Two 6/4/2017 ~ Magic Kingdom (part 1)

Last edited:
we found a free table and got settled

Lucky! I always consider a pool side table a score!

Chad seemed very frustrated at this point. Ugh...I was trying to avoid that.

Ut-oh! My DH doesn't do well with wait staff either. Something about anxiety and patience just doesn't always mix.

Then the skies opened up! Pretty good timing, I'd say!

Way to go mama! Glad you thought ahead and grabbed a table. I'm sure others came in right after y'all.

Like I mentioned, mine was the Cascadia Sangria (the one in front) and not the last one I got on this trip! I think Chad started out with a Grand Margarita, which is so not like him but I guess its a pool drink, and then ended up with some type of whiskey, which is what he usually drinks at home.

Yum, yum, yum! I can't wait for some Disney drinks! The sangria looks fabulous!

Fortunately there is one very close to GP

Good to know! DH hasn't kicked the cigarettes yet (hoping this summer will be the game changer) so I'm having to research DSAs, much to my chagrin.

While he was gone, our food came:

Never fails! Everytime someone leave the table the food comes! Glad you guys liked your meal. DH and I got the exact same thing you two did; Crab and bison. We didn't like it nearly so much as y'all did.

I should've known and just to let you all know, they lived off peanut butter most of the rest of the trip.

Kids, always too busy to actually eat. I'm never too busy to eat. :confused3

we were definitely off the time line...and it was still raining!

Boo! The rain can be a time suck. It seems to extend everything!

So, I went off...but I didn't just go off. I cried, too. And I told him how selfish he was because this was incredibly important to me. And how rude and unappreciative he was. And how he need not worry because I would NEVER, EVER ask him to go with us to Disney again.

I'm so sorry! I hate crying on vacation, unless it's while I'm watching fireworks, cause that's a given. Our DHs are very similar as I have totally had this argument with my DH. :headache:

I got the boys situated under the rain cover in the stroller and I had my umbrella and we headed to the Lego Store:
img_6127-jpg.247815

Little cuties!

they are in the same shirts as the photos from 7am before we left our house! D'oh!

LOL! Men.

Needless to say, I won't do DS, or more specifically, the Lego Store in the beginning of the trip again.

It's a killer! E has never actually seen the inside of the Lego store; I fear for my sanity and my wallet!

I swear to you, I "lost" Will a few times

Right?!! All those rooms everywhere, and the fixtures are giant! It's easy to lose a little one in all those toys!

Chad had started back from the cigar shop but stopped at the Polite Pig for a drink. Must be nice.....

MMhmm, sound like my DH too. :worried:o_O

I just went with my standard chocolate covered strawberries, which I left in the car, btw, and they ruined.

Oh no! I did that with some fudge when were there visiting my sister last month. It's really the worst. Especially after having such a trying evening in DS; crappy icing on your cake. Sorry friend. :(

I *think* this is where DH made his profuse apologies for his earlier statements and for being selfish, rude, and unappreciative. I wasn't quite ready to totally forgive him, but I did appreciate the effort and in the interest of having a good vacation, I accepted it and moved on.

You are living my life here! If your DH is anything like mine (it sounds like they're peas in a pod) he shoots from the hip. I can't tell you how many times DH has said something just mean to me, only to apologize, usually profusely, once he has had time to sit on it a while. I hope this was it for him, and from the title of your TR I think it was! And good for you for being the bigger person and letting it go, for the sake of the vacation. It's not always easy loving men like these. :flower3:

Not the easiest task because he suffers from anxiety and generally dislikes crowds and lots of people
My son has same issues-and I never really know when it will pop up-but being hungry/tired is almost guaranteed to make it worse. Knowing areas "hidden" around the park to let him recoup definitely helps. He loves to swim but gets very anxious if there is more than 1 or 2 people in pool-takes alot to coax him in then he is fine usually.
Love the drink pic too! So glad to read TR that include a few drinks along the way, along with food reviews.

The *ahem discussion I have with my DH is about where to stay-we were gifted a timeshare 20+ years ago-very low fees and is a very good trader-so we can trade into many nice resorts around Disney way way cheaper than staying onsite. Problem is he is not really and open to close park tour type. I finally got him onsite 2015 and I think he really enjoyed the ability to go back to room to nap and not have to be responsible for driving. Plus the older kids like the ability to tour a park on their own as well. We are back onsite for August, but offsite for the Thanksgiving week-think that will work out fine though, as I expect we will all be done with crowds rather quickly.

Your boys are adorable!! Surprised you got out of the Lego store at all!

I hate that you had to deal with the rain on your first day. It really doesn't help with settling in and when you are so excited about starting off your vacation and have a weather bump it can be such a downer.

I think I would've reacted to my DH the same way you did with yours, though I don't think I would've been nice enough to let him go off to the cigar store first thing. Lol! Though I'm sure you were ready to have a break from him after your conversation. I'm really happy that we can tell by your TR title that he's going to come around or I would be so worried for you.

DS can be so overwhelming, especially in the big Disney store in the evening on a rainy day! That store can give me a heart attack. This past trip we went in early afternoon on a Wednesday and it was a lot better but still crazy.

Looking forward to your first MK day and seeing the real magic begin!

img_6124-jpg.247811

I got the Lump Crab Cake Sandwich. Excellent choice. Very flavorful. The fries were good, too. I would totally recommend this and easily get it again.
I am soooo glad you tried these. I def want to have this when we are there. 8 love crab cakes. Sounds like the burger is just ok.

I swear to you, I "lost" Will a few times and thank goodness AJ was able to help me find him. All the while, Chad had started back from the cigar shop but stopped at the Po
Ugh. I feel like I never really shop in Disney. I always have one eye on each girl. I think it is why I sometimes buy nothing and the the next time I buy everything. I just grab it and don'5 think about it. And seriously how big it that place?!?

on. So you may notice, they are in the same shirts as the photos from 7am before we left our house! D'oh!
Men!

So, I went off...but I didn't just go off. I cried, too.
Oh no!!! So glad to know that things turned around after that. We would have given up on DS and stayed in the room. So props for going!

Ugh, so sorry you had to deal with your grumpy DH on top of all that rain on your first evening (which unfortunately comes with the territory of a June WDW trip--the rain that is--I speak from much experience). >:( Glad you gave him a piece of your mind!! I'm happy to know things improved, can't wait to hear more.

Ut-oh! My DH doesn't do well with wait staff either. Something about anxiety and patience just doesn't always mix.
Glad to know he isn't the only one!

Yum, yum, yum! I can't wait for some Disney drinks! The sangria looks fabulous!
Definitely try it! It was excellent, IMO.

Good to know! DH hasn't kicked the cigarettes yet (hoping this summer will be the game changer) so I'm having to research DSAs, much to my chagrin.
There is two at WL. One by GP and one by the villas entrance.

We didn't like it nearly so much as y'all did.
Oh no!

I'm never too busy to eat. :confused3
Me, either!

I'm so sorry! I hate crying on vacation, unless it's while I'm watching fireworks, cause that's a given. Our DHs are very similar as I have totally had this argument with my DH. :headache:
Yeh, it was rough and I felt like I had been under so much stress trying to get this trip "right." Fortunately it didn't last long...but I will say I thought Dh was faking his enjoyment for a few days just to make me happy.

Right?!! All those rooms everywhere, and the fixtures are giant! It's easy to lose a little one in all those toys!
Oh my gosh...yes, this.

Oh no! I did that with some fudge when were there visiting my sister last month. It's really the worst. Especially after having such a trying evening in DS; crappy icing on your cake. Sorry friend. :(
The good thing is I got some more treats from The Confectionary the next day!

You are living my life here! If your DH is anything like mine (it sounds like they're peas in a pod) he shoots from the hip. I can't tell you how many times DH has said something just mean to me, only to apologize, usually profusely, once he has had time to sit on it a while. I hope this was it for him, and from the title of your TR I think it was! And good for you for being the bigger person and letting it go, for the sake of the vacation. It's not always easy loving men like these. :flower3:
Fortunately, yes, he was much better behaved the rest of the trip. And I never had thought I would be one of those people that took "let it go" to heart but I guess I have evolved...lol.

My son has same issues-and I never really know when it will pop up-but being hungry/tired is almost guaranteed to make it worse.
Yes, it truly is a guessing game, isn't it?

Love the drink pic too! So glad to read TR that include a few drinks along the way, along with food reviews.
Thanks! There will be several more drinks throughout!

The *ahem discussion I have with my DH is about where to stay-
It's always something, isn't it?

We are back onsite for August, but offsite for the Thanksgiving week-think that will work out fine though, as I expect we will all be done with crowds rather quickly.
Eek...that's probably a good plan.

Your boys are adorable!! Surprised you got out of the Lego store at all!
Thank you! Me, too!

I think I would've reacted to my DH the same way you did with yours, though I don't think I would've been nice enough to let him go off to the cigar store first thing. Lol! Though I'm sure you were ready to have a break from him after your conversation.
Yes, I truly wanted a break from him! :)

I'm really happy that we can tell by your TR title that he's going to come around or I would be so worried for you.
Yes, it was a very short lived situation. Thank goodness!

I'm here but I have to get caught up.
Thank you for joining in!

I am soooo glad you tried these. I def want to have this when we are there. 8 love crab cakes. Sounds like the burger is just ok.
I thought it was very good. I hope you do, as well. As far as the burger, my DH is not used to having to be a food reviewer...lol...so it's hard to tell...haha.

Ugh. I feel like I never really shop in Disney. I always have one eye on each girl. I think it is why I sometimes buy nothing and the the next time I buy everything. I just grab it and don'5 think about it. And seriously how big it that place?!?
Maybe I can shop in about 10 years...lol. And yes, it is huge with way too many nooks and crannies!

Oh no!!! So glad to know that things turned around after that.
You and me, both!

We would have given up on DS and stayed in the room. So props for going!
The boys would not allow us to miss the Lego Store...lol.

Ugh, so sorry you had to deal with your grumpy DH on top of all that rain on your first evening (which unfortunately comes with the territory of a June WDW trip--the rain that is--I speak from much experience). >:( Glad you gave him a piece of your mind!! I'm happy to know things improved, can't wait to hear more.
Thank you! Yes, I'm glad things got turned around!

So when the guy came, Chad asked for a menu and he only brought him the drink one. Chad seemed very frustrated at this point. Ugh...I was trying to avoid that.
I was going to say since I know his feelings changed I'm not worried about this.....however I had no idea how yucky your first day was :(

mine was the Cascadia Sangria (the one in front) and not the last one I got on this trip!

So my DH had a bad habit of smoking cigars. He used to smoke cigarettes and quit on his 40th birthday (5 years ago). However, he eventually became the producer of a cigar show on his radio station so he picked up that nasty habit.

Yours is the first review of any GP food if you can believe it! Glad you enjoyed it, I'm thinking between here and RF we'll be eating at the resort a lot next month.

DH started complaining. About the room, about the resort, about the experience there thus far. We hadn't even been to a park yet and he was already writing off Disney. Well, let me just say, that did not go over with this girl. First off - Disney is MY PLACE! You do not just speak ill will of my favorite place on the planet like that! Secondly - it has been my DREAM to stay at WL for forever, don't go crapping all over it. And lastly - do you know how much work I put into the trip????? And he just dismisses it before it had even started.
Whoa. I don't blame you though. I actually have clients who just came home today from Disney; the husband was against the trip from the start. The wife emailed me every night to fill me in on their day and it always involved him complaining, including refusing to wear a poncho this past Wed. when it poured in Epcot from 3-9pm. Then he stormed off completely pissed that he was soaked. Her and the kids enjoyed the trip as much as he allowed them to but I really feel bad for them. I'm just glad that (and sorry I'm spoiling your report!) things got better!

So jealous that you can leave your house at 7 and be at disney just 8 hours later. We'd still have 10 more hours to go :-) Also loving how quickly you all had drinks in your hand. My kinda people :drinking1

Sorry the weather and the shopping and the hubby weren't the greatest your first day, but hoping from your title all that turns around quickly.

Following along. Can't wait to hear about your trip. We love wilderness lodge too, especially in the winter time though. But beach club will always be my favorite.

Introductions

Completely off topic but also helping with my PDVD is the LuLaRoe Collection for Disney. Any other LLR fans? Of course, the biggest problem with this antidote is that it is too expensive to be a long term solution. So, another reason to get started on this trip report.

Up next: Day One 6/3/2017 ~ Travel & Arrival

Following! And yes, I'm drooling over the LLR Disney collection. Still haven't ruled out buying at least 1 outfit.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!