I think I want to stay at SSR

Disneyhenry

DisneyRosie
My hubby and I are taking our DS (9) and a friend (12) for 12 nights to WDW. We will do 8 days at Disney, 1 day universal, 1 day sea world and 1 day just open to rent a boat, shop and whatever else we feel up to.
We are going Aug 21-Sep 2.
It’s always so hard to choose a resort lol.
We are currently booked in a 1 bedroom value at AKL.
I love AKL, I will use the washer, dryer and kitchen. The separate bedroom will give us some space.
This will be my sons friend 1st trip, we always rent a truck because it’s just easier with my electric scooter.
My only worry about AKL is parking, but I do believe we can valet. Then pool and activities look amazing.
I have seen some pictures of SSR 1 bedroom and it looks just lovely. The pool looks Like a bit more fun and parking looks so much closer.
SSR is about $600 less for our stay, the 1 bedroom value is actually the most I really would like to spend.
We have considered CR and Poly but having a 1 bedroom fits our needs on this trip.
So thinking hard on what to do, stay at AKL Jambo or SSR 1 bedroom ada room

What are the things you love about either resort?
Thx!

We did a split stay last summer-2 bdrm SSR then AKL CL. So not quite the same rooms but same resorts.

SSR we liked the 2bdrm. It was in good shape, had no issues with the rooms. Mousekeeping was decent. Had no issues with the bus and we hit all 4 parks. Stayed in Grandstand section so were 1st bus stop. We went to DS 3-4 nights. Walked back 2xs and took the bus the others. Liked the access to DS (we usually stay at BC so we used DS like we usually use EP). QS was good. We didn't use the feature pool (too crowded the day we went) but liked the pool at Grandstand. We would definitely stay there again. CMs were ok-not great not bad just not engaging.

AKL we found the room small-but we knew it would feel that way after leaving SSR. Room was in good condition and mousekeeping was good also. Love the feel of that resort and everything under one roof. QS was fine but we really like the TSs there. We didn't use the pool-got torrential rain the day we planned to swim! CMs are great there! This is a resort we prefer for the end of our stay when we are more likely to take the time for resort time.

We did a split stay last summer-2 bdrm SSR then AKL CL. So not quite the same rooms but same resorts.

SSR we liked the 2bdrm. It was in good shape, had no issues with the rooms. Mousekeeping was decent. Had no issues with the bus and we hit all 4 parks. Stayed in Grandstand section so were 1st bus stop. We went to DS 3-4 nights. Walked back 2xs and took the bus the others. Liked the access to DS (we usually stay at BC so we used DS like we usually use EP). QS was good. We didn't use the feature pool (too crowded the day we went) but liked the pool at Grandstand. We would definitely stay there again. CMs were ok-not great not bad just not engaging.

AKL we found the room small-but we knew it would feel that way after leaving SSR. Room was in good condition and mousekeeping was good also. Love the feel of that resort and everything under one roof. QS was fine but we really like the TSs there. We didn't use the pool-got torrential rain the day we planned to swim! CMs are great there! This is a resort we prefer for the end of our stay when we are more likely to take the time for resort time.
Thank you so much for your comment, I appreciate it

I've not stayed at AK yet. Going to stay AKV this May.

I love SSR. The proximity to DS is amazing! So much to do. I found the resort to be beautiful and peaceful and quiet. We stayed in the Paddock area.

While I love Boma, I would pick SSR.
Having a spot if you have a car is awesome. Having Disney Springs within walking distance is amazing. So many dining options, as well as a nice walking path to OKW if you like Olivia’s.
While I do like AKV the lack of a “resort area” is lacking for me. The space is for the animals which is cool but I like to walk around outside a resort.
Anyway you can’t go wrong either way
Happy planning
Kerri

I've not stayed at AK yet. Going to stay AKV this May.

I love SSR. The proximity to DS is amazing! So much to do. I found the resort to be beautiful and peaceful and quiet. We stayed in the Paddock area.
Thx! Im always looking for peace and quiet. And I looked into the Paddock area, so pretty thx again

While I love Boma, I would pick SSR.
Having a spot if you have a car is awesome. Having Disney Springs within walking distance is amazing. So many dining options, as well as a nice walking path to OKW if you like Olivia’s.
While I do like AKV the lack of a “resort area” is lacking for me. The space is for the animals which is cool but I like to walk around outside a resort.
Anyway you can’t go wrong either way
Happy planning
Kerri

Thx! I never even thought about all the extra dining offered at DS.
I think the brightness of the resort is what attracts me, plus the parking and pool
Thx again

If you have a handicapped plate, valet parking is complimentary other than gratuity. Have never stayed SSR and only in the Lodge at AKL. I think transportation to parks is equal, depends on how much you will visit Springs whether that is an advantage. I would think the kids would like the viewing areas at AK.

I've stayed at SSR, in both a 1-BR and 2-BR, both times in the Paddock area and loved it. I think the sit-down restaurant, Turf Club, is a hidden gem. The boat ride to DS is great, and you have a lot of dining options.

Another fan of SSR.
The quick service food place is quite good, but not very busy. Once you figure out what bus stop makes sense for your location, it's really quite good. Then the proximity to DS is fantastic.

I think SSR gets a bad rap because it isn't themed to the hilt. It's actually a very comfortable resort that doesn't have a ton of amenities, but you can walk to DS.
I like parking close to the room, which may not be a perk for you if you're doing valet. AKL has more novelty appeal, I guess it depends on if that's worth $600 to you.

I think SSR gets a bad rap because it isn't themed to the hilt. It's actually a very comfortable resort that doesn't have a ton of amenities, but you can walk to DS.
I like parking close to the room, which may not be a perk for you if you're doing valet. AKL has more novelty appeal, I guess it depends on if that's worth $600 to you.
I ended up liking everything about SSR but for the sofa bed. That makes it a never again for us. At least until I hear of a remodel. Not a 1 bedroom at least. Studio yes

I ended up liking everything about SSR but for the sofa bed. That makes it a never again for us. At least until I hear of a remodel. Not a 1 bedroom at least. Studio yes
Thx for that info, DS (9) is so picky about his bed so something for me to take into consideration

A studio will also have a sofa bed and it will be smaller, double versus queen. Unless you stay at OKW which has two queen beds in the studio.

Thx for that info, DS (9) is so picky about his bed so something for me to take into consideration
You'll have the same sleeper sofa at AKV. And if you have a value one bedroom it will be very small. If you need your scooter inside, it could be tight.

But if we stay in a studio it will be only DH and I, we wouldn't need the sofa bed. No problem.
That is why Bill & I stay at OKW in a studio. We each get a real bed. We just had four nights at OKW with our son who was running the Dopey. It was horrible trying to sleep in one queen bed. Awful. Especially getting up at 3AM every morning and again at 5AM to watch him at various locations.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!