~~ I Wanna Be Part of That World: A Moving to Florida Trip Report - UPDATE 6/5 ~~

ArielLunchBox

Earning My Ears
20r1h7t.jpg

Hello out there in DIS-land! My screenname is "ArielLunchBox," but you can call me Arielle! I'm a big-time lurker of these forums and have been for years, but I finally decided to register and have a voice. (Wow, I just realized my DIS life is sooooo like "The Little Mermaid" -- one of my all time faves! Finding my voice!!!) Anyway, why am I choosing now to speak up?

Because I want to move to Florida and I can't hold in my enthusiasm or need to plan for this never-ending trip!

There are a lot of reasons I want to move to Florida and I'll get into them in other parts of this PTR but one of the biggest reasons (obviously, hehe) is Walt Disney World!

Although I was raised in California and Disneyland was my home park growing up, I fell in love with Walt Disney World as an adult. I absolutely LOVED the immersive feeling and how there was so much to do there! I love that it feels like its own proper city! And it's definitely my happy place.

So, fun surprise fact: I actually used to live in Orlando! It was only for about a year but it was great!

And second fun surprise fact: I actually used to work at WDW, too! I did some internships there and so I was a Cast Member before! :wizard::wizard:

And let me tell you: I really did love it! But when my internships ended, I moved away and onto other things. But years later, I am ready to go back!

I'm sure I'll talk more about this at length (GET READY!!), but one of the biggest things I've learned since being away from WDW is that the rest of the real world is very, very different from Orlando. When I lived there, I totally took my time for granted. I didn't realize how much I would miss it -- how much of an empty space it would leave in my heart when I was gone. I've been trying to fill a big Mickey-shaped hole with other things, but the truth is: Disney World is a big part of my heart and I miss it so much!

So, this PTR is about me moving, but it's about so, so, so much more. It's about me believing in myself and believing in a dream! This is something I've wanted deep down for a while, but I refused to admit it to myself. I was scared that I couldn't make it happen and you know what? I still am! But I know a dream is a wish your heart makes and I am determined to get to Florida and begin living my dream life -- and this time, I don't want to take it for granted!

So, please, join me on my journey! I'll be sharing all the details and plans with you -- to help focus my excitement and really help make this actually happen! I'll be talking about where I want to live, things I want to do at Disney, my history with Disney (like past trips, etc), and bunches of other related things. Oh, and of course, I'll be sharing my journey of trying to work for the company again! It's going to be a grand adventure and I can't wait!

HELLO!!! I am so excited to read your transition and everything because in about 2 years, I am going to be in the same boat! I have never worked for WDW but my hubby and I have decided that with my career, this is where we want to end up! So excited to see how your plans come together! :cool1:

I mentioned earlier that I tend to lurk on the DisBoards and it's true -- I've been lurking for years. But one of the reasons I wanted to make this thread is so that I could make my dreams more real and share them with other people who understood them.

I feel like I have so much inside of me that's just bursting to get out -- and to be honest, I cannot concentrate on anything else or be productive in other areas of my life without getting all of this off of my mind first. So, yes, this most definitely will be a journey that we're going on.

Right now, I don't have any solid plans -- just a desire, a dream, and a wish to be back to my laughing place (to put it in Splash Mountain terms).

I was thinking about it earlier today: why was I so happy in Florida? And I realized: it's because I was in an environment where my best self came out easily. When I was there, people thought I was so bubbly, confident, and happy. And I was! But that was also because I felt comfortable and like I fit in for the most part. I was able to shine there because I was surrounded by people and things that I really enjoyed.

Right now, that's not the case. I try to be positive and make the best out of my situation for the most part, but I just don't fit here. And when I feel like a fish out of water, I make myself smaller, invisible. I fly under the radar, I'm quiet, I'm lethargic and low energy.

I know not all of it is dependent on my environment and I'm trying to have a great positive attitude here, but I know that supportive and nurturing surroundings are the best thing for me. And once you've been some place that fits and that feels right, it's hard to stay too long in a place that doesn't.

Anyway, like I said, I don't have any solid plans but I'm hoping that having this thread can help me to be more organized and begin to make plans rooted in reality. I'm really good at getting inspired about possibilities, but I also am a huge procrastinator! When something feels so far out of my reach -- even if it's months away -- I get so impatient and I feel like it won't happen. Instead of working diligently towards it, I act as if it isn't happening... maybe to distract myself? And then the next thing you know, time has flown and I am scrambling to get it all done.

I don't want to do it that way this time. I want to work little by little to bring my plans to fruition so I am not freaking out when it all happens. And especially considering my tentative timeline -- about four months -- the time may actually go by quicker than I think.

So, what sorts of things need to be done before I move?

+ Figure out how much $$ I'll need to make this happen (moving expenses, moving into a new place, car registration, etc)

+ Figure out how I'll earn money while I am down there (I'm looking for jobs from here but I also know sometimes it's easier to get a job once you're local. I'm actually not super picky about the work I will end up doing though I don't want to work with food)

+ Organizing and packing up my life (I may need to get rid of things and I definitely have some organization projects I've been putting off for a long time that I don't want to bring to Florida with me)

+ Figure out where I'll be living and what I need to secure a spot (since I've lived in Florida before, I'd be willing to live in one of the two apartment complexes that I already lived in before)​

Can any of you think of any other logistics I may be missing or should keep in mind? Any moving tips, tricks, or advice?

I'm in. Sounds like quite an adventure.

Yay! I am glad you are following along! :)

HELLO!!! I am so excited to read your transition and everything because in about 2 years, I am going to be in the same boat! I have never worked for WDW but my hubby and I have decided that with my career, this is where we want to end up! So excited to see how your plans come together! :cool1:

Oh wow! I am so glad to have you along! I hope both of our plans end up panning out! :)

I had wanted to move to the Orlando Area but I wasn't going to move until I got a job first. I ended up finding a job in Naples instead & honestly, it probably worked out better that way. I'm still close enough but I also found a job I love.

If you end up moving without a job, you should probably make sure you have at least 4 to 6 months of living expenses saved as you never know how long its going to take you to find something.

I had wanted to move to the Orlando Area but I wasn't going to move until I got a job first. I ended up finding a job in Naples instead & honestly, it probably worked out better that way. I'm still close enough but I also found a job I love.

If you end up moving without a job, you should probably make sure you have at least 4 to 6 months of living expenses saved as you never know how long its going to take you to find something.

Thank you for this advice, Dis_Yoda! Yes, ideally I will move with a job but if I go anyway, that is definitely something I will need to consider (those expenses). And even with a job, I'd like to have some padding/cushion as well.

But that is the good thing about waiting for a job, too -- you can plan your housing or location based on that! Thank you!

Following along!

I think it is awesome to follow your heart to your happy place! I can't wait to see what happens. :)

First off, congratulations!!! It's far better to live your dreams, even if it's not the easiest, than to live with regrets! Happy to become a cheerleader to yours!!! :goodvibes Excited to be along for your journey!

Noticed you had subscribed to my PTR and thought I would follow you along on your journey.

We lived in the Tampa area for 3 years and I loved it, but mostly just because of my trips to WDW. I'm not really a beach person, so FL really wasn't the life for me.

Since you have time, I would recommend doing a lot of research on surrounding communities. Find something inexpensive, but safe.

What an adventure!!!

Following along as well!

I am graduating college next May and I hope to be in the same boat as you. I'm going to try for a second CP or a PI next spring (for Fall Advantage 2015). I'm crossing my fingers! Reading your post made me feel a bit better because I am the same way. I was so happy when working and close to WDW so I understand how now you feel unfulfilled where you're currently at. Best of luck to you!

I do not know if you want to work for Disney, but it was posted that Disney is going to be hiring over 1000 workers. Now would be the time to start getting applications in.

Hope you make it back. I know all too well how strong the draw can be sometimes. I've never lived there but I've always felt like I was home when I went. It's always seemed to be where I felt I was meant to be. After several years of failed attempts we finally have our house on the market and plan on heading that way ourselves. Just need a little pixie dust our way as we are not seeing much movement in selling our home. Will be following your journey!

I was thinking about it earlier today: why was I so happy in Florida? And I realized: it's because I was in an environment where my best self came out easily. When I was there, people thought I was so bubbly, confident, and happy. And I was! But that was also because I felt comfortable and like I fit in for the most part. I was able to shine there because I was surrounded by people and things that I really enjoyed.

Right now, that's not the case. I try to be positive and make the best out of my situation for the most part, but I just don't fit here. And when I feel like a fish out of water, I make myself smaller, invisible. I fly under the radar, I'm quiet, I'm lethargic and low energy.

Ms. ArielLunchBox, you are singing my tune! <3

I've never lived in Florida myself, but the times I've visited WDW -- from twirling flags with my HS marching band in the MK Christmas Parade, to my most recent "grown up" visit in 2004 -- were amongst the happiest times of my life. There is something viscerally and energetically unique about just being in proximity to the Lake Buena Vista area that's impossible to describe to anyone who hasn't been there or who doesn't share the same sense of wonder and magic about all things WDW.

My fella and I have been casually throwing around the idea of moving to Florida, which is a natural choice since he grew up in Deltona and his family still lives in the area. And I've always had a secret hankering to work in WDW, after all. Maybe finding your thread is the push I've needed to start considering the idea seriously.

Will definitely be following along on your journey and wishing you all the best!

Wondering if you made the leap yet? I did 3 months ago and regret NOTHING! I was able to have a job lined up before my family moved, but it was really expensive! We are renting in Hunter's Creek for a year to decide if we want to buy. One of the reasons we moved is because I want to work for Disney one day. Unfortunately, it is really hard to be a nurse there! So in the meantime, I will continue working in the ER. Hey, at least it pays the bills and I can go to Disney when I am off. Hope you are able to move soon! We love it here!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter