I want a Balloon (and other silly self-denials)

Nakkira

DIS Veteran
I am 38 years old. Every time I go to Disney I want a Balloon but I never buy one.
I cannot let myself spend that much money on something so temporary.
Yet EVERY time I stare at the balloon sellers longingly, wanting a balloon. I almost still last time but made myself walk away.

20170117_153705.jpg
I know, it's silly

Is there anything silly like this that you want to buy or do at Disney but never allow yourself?

Last edited:
I am 38 years old. Every time I go to Disney I want a Balloon but I never buy one.
Yet EVERY time I stare at the balloon sellers longingly, wanting a balloon. I almost still last time but made myself walk away.

View attachment 315151
I know, it's silly

Is there anything sill like this that you want tot buy or do at Disney but never allow yourself?
ha ha, I hear you! I love those balloons, and i would love a balloon as well! They look so pretty. But here's my dilemma....the past few trips have been solo for me. My DS is no longer interested in disney, nor is my partner. So i go alone happily. How silly would it look for a soloist to walk around disney with a balloon in hand? :lmao: :rotfl: VERY SILLY probably. This is the reason I never bought a balloon for myself.

Yes! I'm 36 years old and I want a balloon too!

I also really want to eat at BOG. My daughter would probably like it too but I've never tried because my son doesn't do well with noisy, crowded places so it's not even a possibility on a family trip. Now that I think of it there are lots of things that I want to do at Disney but haven't been able to for one reason or another. Someday I will sneak off on a solo trip and do them all :)

I fall in love with a purse with a character on it EVERY TRIP! And then tell myself that if I still want it at the end of the trip, I will get it..

But then, the last day comes and I realize I would be a 40 year old woman carrying a Minnie Mouse purse and…I would feel ridiculous.

I wish I could rent the purse for the duration of my stay then return it before going back to the real world.

Ahhh, but you spend money on temporary things all the time - movies, concerts, any time you use Uber or public transportation...even haircuts only last for so long.

Buy the balloon.

(If you're worried about walking around the park with it, get it on your way out - on your first day - and enjoy it in your hotel room.)

At the end of your stay, you have two choices:
1) Cut a small slit where it won't be obvious, roll it up, and bring it home. Hang it up like a poster.
2) Find a kid arriving as you're leaving (at the resort or even the airport) and pass it on. Now you've bought two pleasant experiences - enjoying the balloon, and sharing the balloon.

Last edited:
I fall in love with a purse with a character on it EVERY TRIP! And then tell myself that if I still want it at the end of the trip, I will get it..

But then, the last day comes and I realize I would be a 40 year old woman carrying a Minnie Mouse purse and…I would feel ridiculous.

I wish I could rent the purse for the duration of my stay then return it before going back to the real world.
I felt the same until my last trip. I found an all black Minnie embossed purse. I had to have it. You would not believe all of the compliments I have gotten for this bag. Almost two years later, I still carry it every day. When I go back in July, I will definitely be getting a new one.

Only if I can have the balloon with the balloon inside. I admittedly take a photo of the CM holding the bunch of balloons-every single trip. There is just something about the whole bunch together!
I also want so desperately to take control of the wheel on the Jungle Cruise and throw out cheesy one-liners in a MUCH better delivery than how the CM is doing it.

Last edited:
I totally agree about the balloons. I love them but just cannot bring myself to get one, they seem like a logistical nightmare unless you have a stroller or something to tie it to, but I still look at them longingly as well.

I thought about getting the rose gold Mickey ears the last time I was at Epcot. They had just set out a huge display of them. I’ve never owned ears before and am not a headband person at all so I’m not sure if they’d even be comfortable for me.

I am a 47 year old woman who carries a Stitch purse every day. I've received more compliments on it than any other purse I've ever owned. It's very freeing when you decide to live your life in a way that makes you happy.

I thought about getting the rose gold Mickey ears the last time I was at Epcot. They had just set out a huge display of them. I’ve never owned ears before and am not a headband person at all so I’m not sure if they’d even be comfortable for me.
I really wanted some too. I haven't bought them and I've talked myself out of buying them on our trip in June because I don't think I'll wear them as much as I think I will.

Not sure if this counts as it’s neither Disney or balloon related, but for the past 5 days I’ve had to be vigilant to be sure DH isn’t eating $6 bags of M&M’s out of the mini-bars of the exorbitantly expensive hotel rooms we’re in. :upsidedow

Want the balloon? Buy it. Unless it's a logistical nightmare, finding a place to keep it while going on rides and what not, go for it. Who cares if others might think it's silly, do what you want that makes you happy.

Minnie ears; so many cute ones...rose gold, silver, pink, etc. But I'd get them home, and they'd sit in the closet.

Last edited:
I say if you want it, go for it! Life is too short to worry about what anyone else thinks, if they stare at you they're probably just thinking they wish they had the nerve to do it too! :)

Buy the balloon near the end of your day, enjoy it in your hotel room.

If I see a purse on my next Disney trip that I would like, I'll buy it! Use it there AND at home. I'm 60 years old and really couldn't care less what anyone else thinks! If I like it, that's what matters.

My Mom and I went to Disney together several years ago, she was in her early 70's and wanted us to have matching Minnie ears so we bought them and wore them several times in the park. Loved it!! Now, whenever I see them here at home I smile and remember how much fun our trip was together. Now, I'll be going back to Disney again with my adult DD and she wants us to have Minnie/Mickey ears too, she already bought a set for us (covered in white sequins with a pink sequined bow) and she's making us a set that will light up for Mickey's Christmas party. :) Don't care what anyone else thinks, WE will enjoy ourselves and have a great trip together!! :)

Honestly my kids have been a great excuse to buy stuff like the balloons I have always wanted.

But I am really comfortable with myself now-if I want a balloon I will buy one, I don’t care if I am on a solo trip-no one is going to care what I am doing but me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter