I want a Balloon (and other silly self-denials)

Ahhh, but you spend money on temporary things all the time - movies, concerts, any time you use Uber or public transportation...even haircuts only last for so long.

Buy the balloon.

(If you're worried about walking around the park with it, get it on your way out - on your first day - and enjoy it in your hotel room.)

At the end of your stay, you have two choices:
1) Cut a small slit where it won't be obvious, roll it up, and bring it home. Hang it up like a poster.
2) Find a kid arriving as you're leaving (at the resort or even the airport) and pass it on. Now you've bought two pleasant experiences - enjoying the balloon, and sharing the balloon.

I find it hard to dispute your wisdom.. :-)

I thought about getting the rose gold Mickey ears the last time I was at Epcot. They had just set out a huge display of them. I’ve never owned ears before and am not a headband person at all so I’m not sure if they’d even be comfortable for me.
Mouse Ears are indeed one of those things for me. I love them, but know I'd wear them an hour or two and then have to carry them around. I content myself in that department by trying them on, snapping selfies, and moving on.

20170117_212635-1.jpg

I thought about getting the rose gold Mickey ears the last time I was at Epcot. They had just set out a huge display of them. I’ve never owned ears before and am not a headband person at all so I’m not sure if they’d even be comfortable for me.
If it makes you feel any better about passing on the ears, we own a pair of the sequin ones (plain silver, not rose gold) and they are heavy and the headband fits very tight. They gave me a headache. They are still awesome to wear and feel magical and special and I wore them a bunch on our recent trip, so I guess it was a magical headache?

If it makes you feel any better about passing on the ears, we own a pair of the sequin ones (plain silver, not rose gold) and they are heavy and the headband fits very tight. They gave me a headache. They are still awesome to wear and feel magical and special and I wore them a bunch on our recent trip, so I guess it was a magical headache?

Thank you for telling me! I get those headaches so easily so I’m happy I passed on those!

Yeah, that's why I said I'd maybe wear them an hour or two. I know that eventually I would get the headache and have o take them off. I will stick to my silly hat-selfie habit! :-)

DH and I are celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary on our upcoming trip in July. I have looked online for anniversary ears, but there are only wedding ears, and they are on headbands. I plan on going on Etsy and seeing if someone can design a white baseball cap (much more comfortable) with silver ears (25th is the silver anniversary) with 25th anniversary embroidered and a veil hanging from the back. I will let DH come up with his own groom design of course. I will wear my hat every day on our trip, then display the hats on a shelf in my room alongside our anniversary photo.

As far as the balloon, we got DD one years ago at the tail end of our trip, and forgot it after we checked out. She is 20 now, and we haven't spent the money...I'm not cheap, but they cost a lot. Anyway, on this trip, I will need a wheelchair to sit in when walking is too much. I have a torn meniscus, and sometimes my knee locks up, and I have pain with walking. I don't want to assume that there will be benches to sit on when my knee hurts, so I'm going to rent a wheelchair for those times. Anyway, I plan on buying at least one balloon (maybe more?!) to help identify my chair when I have to park it and go on a ride.

I'm 53, and I'm sort of over worrying about what people think most of the time. I'm a teacher, so I can get away with a lot at my job. (The only time I am more reserved is when meeting with my daughter's Talent Management team. She's an actress in NYC. Then I try to tone it down.)

My 18 year old wanted that balloon a few weeks ago. I told her sure; but you have to hold it ALL DAY! That ended the conversation real quick.:P
Thats pretty much why i've never gotten a balloon for myself. I go solo to disney, so what would i do with my balloon while on a ride? Lol. And having to hold that thing all day would get old fast im sure. I like another posters idea of getting the balloon on the way out. That way I can enjoy my lovely balloon in my room like a cat. :lmao: Then on my last day, i'll give it to another kid. Great idea! :)

I fall in love with a purse with a character on it EVERY TRIP! And then tell myself that if I still want it at the end of the trip, I will get it..

But then, the last day comes and I realize I would be a 40 year old woman carrying a Minnie Mouse purse and…I would feel ridiculous.

I wish I could rent the purse for the duration of my stay then return it before going back to the real world.

I am 58 and have several Disney Dooney & Burke purses that I love to use!!! I also use a Mickey and Minnie wallet with a Mickey themed credit card and I always get compliments on them.

MJ

I am a 47 year old woman who carries a Stitch purse every day. I've received more compliments on it than any other purse I've ever owned. It's very freeing when you decide to live your life in a way that makes you happy.

Oh, it's not that I care what other people would say, I promise you that. I am very confident in myself. It's just that, in the real world, I think a lot of the character stuff looks ridiculous... and I fall out of love with the "fantasy world" as soon as my vacation is over..

I could do a subtle one...like an embossed emblem, etc. I just tend to fall in love, during my vacation, with the gaudy ones, ha!

Ahhh, but you spend money on temporary things all the time - movies, concerts, any time you use Uber or public transportation...even haircuts only last for so long.

Buy the balloon.

(If you're worried about walking around the park with it, get it on your way out - on your first day - and enjoy it in your hotel room.)

At the end of your stay, you have two choices:
1) Cut a small slit where it won't be obvious, roll it up, and bring it home. Hang it up like a poster.
2) Find a kid arriving as you're leaving (at the resort or even the airport) and pass it on. Now you've bought two pleasant experiences - enjoying the balloon, and sharing the balloon.

I just reminded DD15 recently of her first trip, she had just turned 4. We went to the Pirate & Princess party (remember those??) and she got a Princess balloon. Kept it in our room for the rest of the trip and when checking out I offered it to another little girl checking in. Well, DD had a meltdown! I tried explaining to her we couldn't take it on the plane (never thought about deflating it). I felt really bad for her, she LOVED that stinkin' balloon, but 11 years later I think she's gotten over it lol.

Those bubble guns/wands that spit forth a million bubbles all at once. I love the idea of blowing that many bubbles without any real effort. But the price just always held me back.

I found a non-brand one at Walmart last month for 5 dollars and bought it, claiming it was for entertaining my 2 year old niece when she comes over. :upsidedow

DF44A020-B515-4D42-B2F9-58802146EBAB.jpeg
Oh, it's not that I care what other people would say, I promise you that. I am very confident in myself. It's just that, in the real world, I think a lot of the character stuff looks ridiculous... and I fall out of love with the "fantasy world" as soon as my vacation is over..

I could do a subtle one...like an embossed emblem, etc. I just tend to fall in love, during my vacation, with the gaudy ones, ha!
I think the gaudy ones would sell better if they didn’t cost over $250. My Mickey and Minnie embossed bag is subtle enough to use anywhere. People only notice it up close. I love this bag. I wore out the straps and had them replaced a year ago. They are going again. I’m ready for a new one for sure.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter