I want to be a DVC member!!!

I've actually thought about doing that.....I'm kind of nervous about buying points from a current DVC member.

I would love to be able to take my friend for a weekend trip without the hubbies and kiddies. :cloud9:

It would be so cool :cool1:

My suggestion is that you start with a small contract (like 50 points). Not as big of an upfront expense. Once you get your foot in the door you can always add points.

Did you take the tour when you were there in March? Looking at your sig line, two more trips and you could have payed for your DVC membership.

What finally convinced my DH was when he finally realized that if we ever decided to we could resell our DVC and make back almost what we paid for it. He wanted to start small ("we don't need a lot of points") so we bought a 100 point resale. After our first trip he wanted to add on another 35 points. With some creative banking we are going next weekend and staying in a 2 bedroom. He has now decided we need more points so a few days ago I called and bought another 50. We now have 185 (225 for next year and we should be able to get another 2 bedroom).

No - we didn't take the tour during our trip. I did however order the DVD once we got home. We sat through and watch most of it. He didn't seem that interested.

Maybe if I keep working on him he will change his mind:woohoo:

When you say start out with "50 points" does that mean we would still make the purchase for about $16,000.00? I'm alittle confused with buying a smaller amount of points.:confused3

Thanks guys for your responses.....it makes me feel like there is still hope....:banana:

When you say start out with "50 points" does that mean we would still make the purchase for about $16,000.00? I'm alittle confused with buying a smaller amount of points.:confused3

No, you can buy small contracts on the resale market (for example, see the link at the top of the page). You'd pay in the neighborhood of $85-$95 per point (plus closing costs) for just the 50 points, so around $5000 instead of the $16000 you'd pay if you bought the minimum 160 points from Disney directly.

And for what it is worth - that DVD doesn't really tell you much about DVC. Keep browsing the boards here, ask questions - that will give you a lot of really good information (better than the DVD).

Try telling him that when your boys are in their 30's they can use the DVC membership to take their kids. It worked on my wife. :thumbsup2

I have another question....what are the yearly dues? Is it based on how many points you have at a certain time? Is it a set amount each year?

$4 or $5 per point each year depending on how many points are in your contract and what resort you own. the amount goes up each year (usually 3-4%)

actual fees per point:
Year OKW BWV VB VB(sub) HH VWL BCV SSR AKV
2007 4.40 4.85 5.63 4.39 4.98 4.73 4.63 4.12 4.62

i own a tiny contract of 40 pts at OKW - not much, but it cost less than $4000 and it's good for 5 weeknights in a studio in nov/dec - and my fees are currently $176 a year (40pts x $4.40...less than $15 a month.)

So the more points you have the more you end up having to pay yearly for dues.:sad1:

It sort of makes things a little difficult....because you would like to have a lot of points so you can go several times a year, but then you have to pay high dues....:confused3

I'm still gonna try and persuade DH to buy into the club in the next few years...:thumbsup2 Might have to buy a resale property....:) Since buying a straight out would be a little $$ for us right now.

We took our best friends with us this year. After talking about DVC the couple took the tour and presentation. The one thing that stood out, if you visit every year and stayed for 7 to 8 days, at a moderate resort ( DVC is considered Deluxe ) in five visits you would have payed for your DVC membership. Even with the dues, fees and taxes, after the first five years you would be ahead. We bought in 2000, 150 points, we now have 690 points. I've heard of very few people, who have bought into DVC, getting out because they didn't think they were getting their money's worth. As stated above, if I sold out right now I would make a modest profit.

It will probably be several years before we get the chance to purchase. Especially, if I can talk my DH into it....

We want to get a house, travel trailer (we have a pop-up now):banana: Maybe even a boat...:boat:

Also, need to add some more $$ to our boys college fund....:teacher:

I will eventually one day be a DVC member....:cheer2:

It will probably be several years before we get the chance to purchase. Especially, if I can talk my DH into it....

We want to get a house, travel trailer (we have a pop-up now):banana: Maybe even a boat...:boat:

Seems like our DH may have his priorities where they belong, if you need money for a house and college fund DVC should wait. We had many wonderful trips in our pop-up, and occasional "BIG TRIPS" before being able to buy DVC. The bonding done at those campgrounds can not be done at WDW, sure we had fun on the several trips to WDW we took them on but not like the campfires, hikes and fishing you get with your pop-up. Don't downplay the value of that camper, you need each other for everything while camping, meals, fire, setup /tear down, etc. at resorts you don't really rely on each other and Mom and Dad are not the main attraction. Buy your DVC if/when you can, we love ours and have already made two add-ons, can't wait to bring the grand kids, but the pop-up will also continue to be used.
PS: Fort wilderness make a great camping destination, not like a regular campground but a fun way to do WDW. At around $50. a night it is not a good use of DVC points, they charge to many points in comparison to dollar value. Be patient we did not buy DVC the first time we looked at it when BWV was being sold, by the time SSR went up for sale we were abe to buy into it.

We love our little pop-up:cool1: It is fun to go camping as a family. You are right when you say it brings the family closer:thumbsup2

We will probably wait until we buy into the DVC. But until then......camp on.:banana:

Good luck to you. DVC is a luxury for us - not an essential. We sometimes get in the mode of thinking "we should have bought into DVC years ago" but in retrospect we realize we didn't because there were other financial priorities.

Now that we can afford it our kids are older but still enjoy WDW. The fact is that we now have a nice destination locked up for us and the grandkids if we are fortunate enough to enjoy those pleasures down the road.

In any event, DVC means a lot more to us now because we didn't scarifice anything by waiting to get into the club.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter