I was racially profiled at Disney Springs. What to do if it happens to you.

I had really hoped this thread would address the lack of security at Disney Springs.
That's because it wasn't about Disney Springs itself really to me. The OP's viewpoint would likely be the same if it happened at the parks, if it happened in a random place,etc. Their advice on what to do kinda applies as a general note. Yes the conversation has devolved predictably though.

That's because it wasn't about Disney Springs itself really to me. The OP's viewpoint would likely be the same if it happened at the parks, if it happened in a random place,etc. Their advice on what to do kinda applies as a general note. Yes the conversation has devolved predictably though.
Everyone goes through a security checkpoint at the Parks. Maybe, this needs to happen at Disney Springs too?

Everyone goes through a security checkpoint at the Parks. Maybe, this needs to happen at Disney Springs too?
Maybe, though you still don't have everyone going through metal detectors. Personally I prefer how Universal does it in Orlando. Not only does everyone go through security, but your bag at least when coming from the parking garage is sent through an x-ray machine and everyone goes through metal detectors (ones that can, excluding those who for medical reasons cannot).

Maybe, though you still don't have everyone going through metal detectors. Personally I prefer how Universal does it in Orlando. Not only does everyone go through security, but your bag at least when coming from the parking garage is sent through an x-ray machine and everyone goes through metal detectors (ones that can, excluding those who for medical reasons cannot).
I’m not sure if any of these methods truly provide adequate security.. Crazy people will always find a way. Although, checkpoints and metal detectors seem to make folks “feel” better.

I’m not sure if any of these methods truly provide adequate security.. Crazy people will always find a way. Although, checkpoints and metal detectors seem to make folks “feel” better.
Ok then what's your point of the discussion then?

You said maybe we should have what happens at the theme parks be at Disney Springs and now you're saying crazy people will always find a way and it just makes people feel better.

Seems like you're of the opinion now that nothing needs to be done then am I correct?

I simply said I prefer the way Universal does it. Everyone goes through, your bag doesn't have to be opened up with all the zippers, no guessing if you're going to be randomly chosen for the metal detector, etc. That's all I was saying.

Ok then what's your point of the discussion then?

You said maybe we should have what happens at the theme parks be at Disney Springs and now you're saying crazy people will always find a way and it just makes people feel better.

Seems like you're of the opinion now that nothing needs to be done then am I correct?

I simply said I prefer the way Universal does it. Everyone goes through, your bag doesn't have to be opened up with all the zippers, no guessing if you're going to be randomly chosen for the metal detector, etc. That's all I was saying.
I completely support additional security at Disney Springs but also the Disney Parks. I can’t speak for Universal Studios. We haven’t visited since Harry Potter opened

I completely support additional security at Disney Springs but also the Disney Parks. I can’t speak for Universal Studios. We haven’t visited since Harry Potter opened
Ah ok. Well I can tell you we preferred it. When it was announced that Disney was adding in metal detectors into their security at the parks I really had wished it meant everyone was going through but it was only on a random basis. In many respects I get it because the volume of people coming through (which is a lot higher than Universal) but on the point of this thread if everyone was going through the same process the liklihood of the OP's experience would be less--not impossible of course--just less.

I see that this thread has spiraled-down (somewhat predictably) from a guy sharing his experiences, then to the police officer possibly being racist, then to all police officers possibly being racist, then to all whites being racist and/or privileged, and then, somehow, all the way to slavery...

What's the next devolution of this thread - that somehow the OP's experience stemmed from cannibalistic tribes in Papua New Guinea?

So...... does anyone else find it odd that grillman89 starts this thread which is his only thread/post and then disappears....

Maybe it wasn't the human officer that was racist but his K9 partner is? Seems it was the K9 that started this. Send the dog back to training!
I had a dog react strongly to one of my bags in customs. I was approached and asked, what was in my bag. It was candy, cookies and such for my grandkids. We opened the bag to confirm the contents.. The agent shook her head and commented that this dog might not make it...needed more training. Poor pup was expecting a reward for her "find".

Whoa! So much to absorb.

Let me start my addressing some posts by @pahoben

Firstly, let me congratulate you for rising above your childhood environment; you are not alone in this accomplishment yet it is still impressive. Did your parents decide to join a back to the land movement, build a rural home, or was this just how things stood in your part of the US? I faced adversities of a different sort growing up and it mostly boiled down to being poor- not that I knew it in my early childhood, LOL. You mentioned the possibility of reparations for your early living conditions - was this caused by government policy or design? If so, I think you've a good case for legally requesting them.

Based on your experiences living in Africa during a work contract, it's seems some of your experiences and observations are atypical.
I know people in the expat communities of Nigeria and Qatar. Specifically, for Africa, most lament their inability to converse on an equal basis with natives of the country, in Abuja and Lagos. They live in company compounds, shop in markets accompanied by the cook/nanny, and are generally driven back and forth by security and/or driver. They accept that their relationships are generally limited to that of employers and employees and when they wish to expand their interaction in the country participate in various charity projects which still does not afford true equality. This is not the basis for an unvarnished look at the country or it's inhabitants and they know it. Their observations mirrors my visits to Doha where the house staff is not native but mostly composed of Southeastern Asians.

Most everyone would love to move to a 1st world country, to improve their educational and/or socioeconomic standing. Those that can either because they have the funds or the proper visas, do. Certainly that is why all my biological grandparents emigrated here having been emancipated a good 25 to 35 years before the US slaves.

As for white privilege, which was mentioned by more than one poster, the thinking behind the term dates back to the late 16th/early 17th century when various social and spiritual advocates noted the hypocrisy and immorality of slavery.

Slavery was known and practiced on the continent of Africa before the European traders arrived however the form of servitude was much different. By sheer volume the Portuguese enslaved via trading most but it was the Brits who imported more to the New World. Many of the first slaves in North America had the same status as the European indentured servants however in time this became a lifelong servitude through the generations. The New World natives also suffered the vicissitudes of slavery under the Portuguese and Spanish; don't think any were allowed the status of indentured servants.

Last edited:
I see that this thread has spiraled-down (somewhat predictably) from a guy sharing his experiences, then to the police officer possibly being racist, then to all police officers possibly being racist, then to all whites being racist and/or privileged, and then, somehow, all the way to slavery...

What's the next devolution of this thread - that somehow the OP's experience stemmed from cannibalistic tribes in Papua New Guinea?
I do not see this as a devolution in a negative manner. Just a conversation about related unresolved issues facing this nation. We are constantly told that good communications (and follow through) help to make us better as humans and citizens. OK, makes sense to me.

I would ofcourse say ‘No’ but I would be concerned about how the uniformed person could potentially react. I think it would be a combination of the ‘officer’s’ failure to identify him/herself, my inability to identify his/her uniform and the no introduction, direct question ‘do you have a gun’. As a foreign visitor I would not be aware of what the protocols are, what the ‘officer’ should do, what his powers are, what I should do etc. I also think that it is a cultural thing. I am just not used to seeing police officers carrying weapons. It is still quite unusual here and ofcourse we have very different gun laws. For some reason ( maybe Hollywood?), I have no fear of British police but I am wary of US police (maybe that is a good thing from a law enforcement standpoint?). I think maybe that British police do a lot more than ‘law enforcement’ and are more involved in local communities.
British police do come under scrutiny for things like Hillsborough and political/celebrity sexual abuse investigations etc but it is rare to hear of innocent citizens being shot. I think that they are portrayed by the British film and television industry differently. Also police here wear an easily identifiable uniform and if not in uniform would immediately show their badge for inspection. That offers me some comfort.
If anyone is to blame for my perception of US police, I would lay the blame at Hollywood’s door rather than the news media.
Anyway, if during my next holiday to the US, a person in uniform approaches me and asks ‘do you have a gun?’ at least now, thanks to the OP and others, I know how to react.

If you look at the police shootings of "innocent" people in the US, the majority happened because people did not comply when given an order by a police officer(s). Police question/pull over/arrests thousands of people a day. If you show your hands (which you should always do) and comply there is a 99.99999999% chance nothing will happen to you.

If you look at the police shootings of "innocent" people in the US, the majority happened because people did not comply when given an order by a police officer(s). Police question/pull over/arrests thousands of people a day. If you show your hands (which you should always do) and comply there is a 99.99999999% chance nothing will happen to you.
Your usage of the word "innocent" might better convey a truer meaning if you used the term "unarmed". To the best of my knowledge there is no database kept by the Feds.

Your usage of the word "innocent" might better convey a truer meaning if you used the term "unarmed". To the best of my knowledge there is no database kept by the Feds.

Yes, but the problem is the police never know if you are unarmed, that is why you should follow every command and not resist. They want to go home to their families also. No one innocent should die but unfortunately split seconds decisions can be wrong sometimes, that's why it's best to just show your hands and not resist and the police will not perceive you as a threat.

Yes, but the problem is the police never know if you are unarmed, that is why you should follow every command and not resist. They want to go home to their families also. No one innocent should die but unfortunately split seconds decisions can be wrong sometimes, that's why it's best to just show your hands and not resist and the police will not perceive you as a threat.

My husband is in law enforcement and he always told me if you get pulled over, keep your hands on the steering wheel where the police can see them and follow any commands the officer gives you.

Um... when we did 5 days of hopping between parks - 2, 3 and one day, 4 parks, I was chosen for "additional screening" every time we entered a park. I also (even with TSA pre check) get chosen for additional airport screening at least one leg of every trip we take. My family finds it almost comical. I'm white. I dress nicely. It's just part of it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!