I was racially profiled at Disney Springs. What to do if it happens to you.

The same can be said for the original post and also when this took place. There's no solid evidence of profiling other than what the OP perceived, and now what others are seeing based on his perception of what happened.

Was the OP racial profiling? Maybe, maybe not. There is no way to tell. The OP felt it was, and that's how he saw it. Nothing more than his view. Some agree, others don't. Doesn't mean it was and doesn't mean it wasn't. If there is/was an investigation and it was determined it wasn't, then what? Then the judge or whoever presides over it is a racist too because they didn't agree?

On a separate but related topic, I thought Disney Springs was NOT part of Disney? I thought I heard it was part of the loop but not actually owned/operated by Disney?

The OP very clearly spelled out the "then what" part. If this officer has only ever had the one complaint from OP, then nothing at all will happen. As it should be. But at least he's raised his concerns, so that if there is a pattern, it can be brought to the appropriate people's attention. If OP's complaint is the 10th or 20th or 100th that this officer has received, then it's important that he raised his concerns and that action is taken against the officer.

There's a difference between having a right to discuss it, which everyone clearly does and is, and ignoring the purpose of the post in general, which is what some here are doing. Meanwhile, I don't believe anyone here has said no one has the RIGHT to discuss it, rather, pointed out how obviously people are ignoring the point to bloviate.
Let's look at the bolded... presumably, based on the title, the "purpose" of the post would be for people to know what to do if they suspect they have been racially profiled at Disney. Do I have that right? So the thread should have had zero responses. No one has disputed what should be done. So no one should post. Including you.

I think the bolded is a little paranoid. I'm not a LEO, but I can't imagine that even if the OP had answered "yes", that the first, second, third, or even fourth thought would be for the officer to draw his own weapon or use forcible restraint.
Maybe. I am from a tiny village in Wales. People don’t get asked questions like this. I would genuinely be frightened it I was asked this in the US or for that matter in Central London.

Good grief no. Although we have just passed the ‘glorious twelfth’, so I spend a lot of my dog walks shouting ‘coming through’ and hanging on to my golden retriever for dear life as his natural instincts to ‘retrieve’ take over his brain.😂
Ah yeah that makes sense--I'm giggling on the image you gave me about your dog :laughing:

I'm not really commenting on how I would or would not react to that question but here many places have conceal carry laws so it's not truly that abnormal, at least IMO, for the idea that someone could have a firearm on them. That's irrespective of the racial profiling aspect to the OP's situation.

Agree- I am very sorry that this happened to the OP and would never presume to downplay his experience.

Of course he was being profiled, the officer homes in on him in a crowd, asks that question, and then just moves on. There was no reason for the question if the officer didn’t notice something amiss and if he did notice something then why would he just move on. Ridiculous! He should have been using his time to scan for potential problems. Most likely a young white male.

I agree with you but would point out that there are plenty of videos showing what happens if they are less than patient and compliant and sometimes what happens even when they are.

It is so disheartening that we haven’t come farther than this and all the apologists on this thread illustrate how far we have to go. So many refuse to recognize that racism and profiling exists because “it isn’t my experience.”

“His word is meaningless”. Woah, I’m speechless.
Nah, some have been deleted. Including mine. I’ve been here since post one. Haven’t really seen you here so a little ridiculous for you to come in at 11th hour accusing me of making things up.

Though there is still a post of someone asking why people are rushing to judge this police officer as a racist and the reply was because they watch the news.

So, I guess a few anecdotal cases on the news is enough to assume this officer is too a racist.

Been here since Post one yesterday, as well. I don’t feel the need to keep making my point over and over, I’ll grant you that.

I think the bolded is a little paranoid. I'm not a LEO, but I can't imagine that even if the OP had answered "yes", that the first, second, third, or even fourth thought would be for the officer to draw his own weapon or use forcible restraint.
I don't think it's paranoid at all. If the armed security officer (LEO, etc) already thinks you are carrying a firearm, they are probably more on edge than if they think you are unarmed. How many unarmed people have been shot by officers in the last few years? In each and every one of them the officers say that they thought the victim was reaching for a weapon and they used deadly force because they were in fear for their lives. Simply reaching for a wallet has gotten some people killed.

I'm sorry this happened to you, OP. I believe you were racially profiled, and I don't think it's right for anyone else here to say it didn't happen when they weren't there experiencing it.
There's a difference between having a right to discuss it, which everyone clearly does and is, and ignoring the purpose of the post in general, which is what some here are doing. Meanwhile, I don't believe anyone here has said no one has the RIGHT to discuss it, rather, pointed out how obviously people are ignoring the point to bloviate.
Well...the post I quoted above yours didn't think we should discuss it, and there's probably more...

My friend had the same situation in DS last summer but he is a pasty white middle aged guy.
He was walking with his extended family, including an infant and special needs child.
The security guys and dog were following for awhile so he asked if he could help them.
They asked him to lift his shirt in the middle of DS to show he was not carrying.
He complied and let the dog check him out.
The security guy wished them a nice afternoon but continued to follow for another 15 minutes or so.
He works in manufacturing and was figuring the dog may have picked up a metal scent on his shoes.

I don't think it's paranoid at all. If the armed security officer (LEO, etc) already thinks you are carrying a firearm, they are probably more on edge than if they think you are unarmed. How many unarmed people have been shot by officers in the last few years? In each and every one of them the officers say that they thought the victim was reaching for a weapon and they used deadly force because they were in fear for their lives. Simply reaching for a wallet has gotten some people killed.
But w/concealed carry being legal, wouldn't they be "on edge" ALL the time? Sorry, I don't understand how being asked "are you carrying a weapon" by a LEO is anything approaching "scary", ESPECIALLY if you're not.

Since the internet’s full of opinions, I’ll give mine.
I think officers will ask seemingly odd questions to gauge your response. “Do you have any knives, guns, hand grenades?” He asked if the OP had a gun, in doing so he got his dog close enough to alert or not, since the dog didn’t alert he moved on.
My wife gets scrutinized all the time, mid 30s white woman, last time at Disney she and my father n law got wanded more than half the time. Me on the other hand they wave me past.

But w/concealed carry being legal, wouldn't they be "on edge" ALL the time? Sorry, I don't understand how being asked "are you carrying a weapon" by a LEO is anything approaching "scary", ESPECIALLY if you're not.
Even though concealed carry is legal in most states some government entities make it close to impossible to do so. My city is one of those places and I'd be startled beyond belief if anyone asked me such a question.

A PP as well as the OP were urging people to stop discussing whether it was profiling because that wasn't the topic OP intended. That's silly to me - more than half of the threads on these boards diverge into other related topics and almost all of them result in over-analysis. Its the nature of any discussion forum.

To accuse police of racial profiling is a big accusation to make, so its unreasonable for anyone to think people won't or shouldn't discuss it. It's reasonable for people to ask the OP for more details or to ask clarifying questions, to better understand the issue or even if its a recurring issue, if others have experienced the same at DS.

The OP's information on how to report a matter like this is valid, but the discussions around WHAT he is urging people to report are also valid. People should most definitely report instances of true racial profiling, or any other true misconduct. But no one wants people running around filing reports because a cop gave them side eye or asked them a question with no follow up. It would be a waste of everyone's time.

Last edited:
The problem with racial profiling allegations is that you have to presume the mindset of the officer. Generally, people have no idea what the officer did for the two hours proceeding or following the stop. It's entirely possible that the officer stopped 30 people over a two hour period and 29 of them were white. It's also possible 30 of them were black. We don't know. Why the stop? Again, we don't know. maybe police had a tip about somebody using that particular stairwell. And maybe it was racial profiling. But it's hard to reach the conclusion when you have one data point.
That said, the OP provides good advice. He didn't create a situation there, but followed up to ensure that if there was wrongdoing, it is addressed. He was aware of his rights and made the rights calls. So while I don't agree there's enough to call it profiling, the OPs original post is valuable to people who beleive something wrong has happened. Thanks!

“Harmful” seems a leap but thanks for valuing my opinion so highly.
Not a leap at all... In fact just a few baby steps away.... In no way did I devalue your opinion only pointed out that validating an unconfirmed opinion especially about race in today's climate has the potential for far more bad than good.

Good grief no. Although we have just passed the ‘glorious twelfth’, so I spend a lot of my dog walks shouting ‘coming through’ and hanging on to my golden retriever for dear life as his natural instincts to ‘retrieve’ take over his brain.😂

where in Wales are you from Dragon?

Sadly I think knives are more of an issue here these days but still better than a gun issue

Not a leap at all... In fact just a few baby steps away.... In no way did I devalue your opinion only pointed out that validating an unconfirmed opinion especially about race in today's climate has the potential for far more bad than good.

That reasoning has been used for many issues this country faces as well: gun control and environmental problems spring to mind in addition to race. A host of newer problems merely await our sense of what is the right time as well.

Given the reality that Americans have been wrestling with the race question for 600 years which predates the Declaration of Independence, Articles of Confederation, and Constitution, I believe the time should stop being put off.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!