I was racially profiled at Disney Springs. What to do if it happens to you.

Of course it is - which is why it is so ridiculous when posters say it was unlikely or doubtful that it was profiling. They don't know that it wasn't. Same goes for the other side: no one should say that it was profiling (With the exception of the OP. He was there, it happened to him. He has the absolute right to call it as he sees it.)...but to deny that it's a possibility is just ignorant. If your opinion is that it just doesn't happen you've got your head in the sand.
First, can you please find a quote from this thread where someone has said it was unlikely that it was profiling? I think most people would admit the possibility was there.

However, if the OP has the right to say it WAS profiling, everyone else has the right to say it WASN'T profiling. Basically what I get from the OP is he's a POC, so therefore, that's the ONLY reason the LEO would have asked him the question. While possible, I think the odds are against it.

And just to clarify, I fully believe racial profiling happens, probably every day, multiple times a day. But based solely on what the OP has posted, I'm not convinced this is profiling. However, I'm also not willing to say it wasn't.

First, can you please find a quote from this thread where someone has said it was unlikely that it was profiling? I think most people would admit the possibility was there.

However, if the OP has the right to say it WAS profiling, everyone else has the right to say it WASN'T profiling. Basically what I get from the OP is he's a POC, so therefore, that's the ONLY reason the LEO would have asked him the question. While possible, I think the odds are against it.

And just to clarify, I fully believe racial profiling happens, probably every day, multiple times a day. But based solely on what the OP has posted, I'm not convinced this is profiling. However, I'm also not willing to say it wasn't.

If you'll read my post again you'll see that I never claimed that anyone said it wasn't a possibility. Many are certainly saying they believe that it was doubtful. Certainly some are just giving their opinion of what could have been the reason for the OP being questioned, others are most definitely trying to explain it away. Also, I think what stuck in my mind the most when writing that post was the poster who claimed that racism isn't a problem in this country, and that brining up the issue of racism was itself, racist. Both ridiculous assertions. To me, if you don't believe racism exists, you most likely don't believe racial profiling exists either.

Of course we all have the right to say whatever we want - well, kind of, here on the Dis - as I stated, I'm of the opinion that since he experienced it his thoughts, feelings, opinions are much more informed/valid than ours. Are the odds against it? I don't know that. And the odds don't really matter if you're the one being profiled.

Of course we all have the right to say whatever we want - well, kind of, here on the Dis - as I stated, I'm of the opinion that since he experienced it his thoughts, feelings, opinions are much more informed/valid than ours. Are the odds against it? I don't know that. And the odds don't really matter if you're the one being profiled.
Just my opinion of course, but just because one THINKS they are being profiled doesn't mean they ARE (or were). Again, maybe he was. I just don't think the "evidence" (what he's posted here) supports the claim. So am I doubtful? Yes. If you (or anyone) thinks that means I'm racist, I can't control what you think.

Just my opinion of course, but just because one THINKS they are being profiled doesn't mean they ARE (or were). Again, maybe he was. I just don't think the "evidence" (what he's posted here) supports the claim. So am I doubtful? Yes. If you (or anyone) thinks that means I'm racist, I can't control what you think.

Of course you're entitled to your opinion. Whether or not you're racist - only you know what's in your heart. And before, when you asked of me: "First, can you please find a quote from this thread where someone has said it was unlikely that it was profiling?" I refer you to post #263. (I mean that ironically, not nastily.)

Of course you're entitled to your opinion. Whether or not you're racist - only you know what's in your heart. And before, when you asked of me: "First, can you please find a quote from this thread where someone has said it was unlikely that it was profiling?" I refer you to post #263. (I mean that ironically, not nastily.)
Good catch. Let me take my foot out of my mouth.

People from all over the world emigrate to the US-all races in large numbers and all nationalities. There are very few people emigrating from the US. This is so at odds with the portrayal of the US as a racist country by ideologues. People do vote with their feet in this case and the votes of these people are i much prefer to live in the US than the country I live in now. If they thought the US was a racist country then why would they hope and dream that their children would grow up in a patently racist environment and be subjected to racism.

They see the US as I do-the most level playing field the world has ever seen populated in large measure by decent people.
The US is certainly NOT the most level playing field

A very wise woman once told me that my perception is your reality. I think that the reality here is that people of color are racially profiled in many areas of this country so there may be a heightened perception that profiling has once again occured in a place where many of us believe is a magical perfect bubble.

The OP firmly believes he was racially profiled, and that is a reality. LEO's observe. That is their job, Observe and make decisions how to address their observations. This LEO had a K9 and we really do not know that this K9 was trained for, but I bet you a buck it was something to do with firearms and powder, and I also would bet the officer trusted the dogs reaction to something. But all of my perceptions of what occured are based on a few discussions with my niece, and based on watching another niece stopped several times in a week, not based on a lifetime of being treated differently based on my color.

This is a WDW incident, but lets move this to my life. My DH is a truck driver and he moves heavy equipment for a construction company. I drive a little SUV. I drive down the road adn I wave to the officers and if they do not wave back I figure they are busy. My DH drives his rig and his perception of what is occuring all over the roads is vastly different than mine, You see, several years ago we had a devastating accident involving an overweight Triaxle that was not maintained. People were killed and the DOT was sent into high gear stopping trucks and inspecting them. Well, in the WInter months there is not much going on and they still had to pull trucks over. My DH was stopped no less than once a week. Some officers were friendly and made it clear they knew the company he worked for was diligent in keeping their trucks safe And in compliance with the law. Others were not so kind. TO this day he is positive that every one out there is out to find issues with every truck on the road, the good guys and the known offenders. It's his perception. It is valid, but it is not mine. Every time I got stopped I deserved it. He did not. OUr perceptions are both valid and how we look at these officers is their reality. With that said, we are both supporters of LEO's so this who conversation makes not real sense but on the road DH mindset changes. He is a gynormous Paul Bunyan of a man and officers tend to be Leary of approaching him so his demeanor is way different than mine. He has all his paperwork in a Manila folder ready to hand ove so there is never any rapid movement towards a glove box, mine is a jumbled mess that an officer waits patiently while I ruffle around for.

If you'll read my post again you'll see that I never claimed that anyone said it wasn't a possibility. Many are certainly saying they believe that it was doubtful. Certainly some are just giving their opinion of what could have been the reason for the OP being questioned, others are most definitely trying to explain it away. Also, I think what stuck in my mind the most when writing that post was the poster who claimed that racism isn't a problem in this country, and that brining up the issue of racism was itself, racist. Both ridiculous assertions. To me, if you don't believe racism exists, you most likely don't believe racial profiling exists either.

I don't think that anyone on here has said that racism doens't exist.

But racism is a serious charge against someone who works to maintain all of our security and simply asked a question.

It has been relayed many times in this thread that people are targeted for many reasons by security at Disney. I don't think it's unreasonable that posters are defending a LEO doing his job just because the person in this case happened to be a minority.

I don't think that anyone on here has said that racism doens't exist.

But racism is a serious charge against someone who works to maintain all of our security and simply asked a question.

It has been relayed many times in this thread that people are targeted for many reasons by security at Disney. I don't think it's unreasonable that posters are defending a LEO doing his job just because the person in this case happened to be a minority.

That was in reference to one specific poster (a poster who claims the reason they're sure this isn't a racist country is because we aren't leaving en masse, lol). A little bit of a separate discussion. I never said that the officer was racist. Although......I guess if you figure a cop/security guard/whatever, who racially profiles is most likely, in fact, a racist then yeah - I guess I'm saying there's a possibility. It's a serious charge, but also a serious problem.

Last edited:
I agree that the behavior can be contagious. I also think that most in the field are very aware of how they are viewed and how they are represented by others, and the ball is in their court to maintain the standing they feel they should have. Respect is earned and not by default, and perhaps respect would be higher if the public image was taken into account seriously instead of being dismissed.

I agree that the behavior can be contagious. I also think that most in the field are very aware of how they are viewed and how they are represented by others, and the ball is in their court to maintain the standing they feel they should have. Respect is earned and not by default, and perhaps respect would be higher if the public image was taken into account seriously instead of being dismissed.
I have respect for LEOs and taught my children to do the same. They put their lives on the line every day to keep us safe. That's enough to "earn" my respect and appreciation.

I have respect for LEOs and taught my children to do the same. They put their lives on the line every day to keep us safe. That's enough to "earn" my respect and appreciation.

That's great. I don't believe in unconditional respect based on employment choice. Anyone can choose certain careers, it's what you choose to do with your time in that line of work that earns you respect.

Last edited:
That's great. I don't believe in unconditional respect based on employment choice. Anyone can choose certain careers, it's what you choose to do with your time in that line of work that earns you respect.
I think you can have respect that a person is a police officer whilst not necessarily respecting them as an individual should they have actions you deem not worthy of respect. Same for first responders,etc. They do put their lives at risk for people everyday and to me that is worthy of respect. That does not mean all police officers are ones that deserve my respect on an individual level. This goes for other professions too.

I hope that makes some sort of sense;sorta hard for me to put it in words. I may also be watching too much Live PD, Live Rescue and First Responders Live in recent months lol.

And there’s no such thing as desensitization or maybe, being Overly Sensitive.
And there’s only one Opinion that counts.. he/she who shouts the loudest?...
and only certain people are privileged ...
And yet the world still spins and Opinions likely won’t change folks...
Dialogue is good though, so happy Sunday All. Love your Family.

Sounds like some parents I know where my friend teaches. Zero respect afforded teachers from these parents and therefore not expected of the children. Sad.

Sounds like some parents I know where my friend teaches. Zero respect afforded teachers from these parents and therefore not expected of the children. Sad.

Yeah, this is not what I am talking about at all. The default should not be disrespect either.

That was immediately what I thought of when I read the PP. It’s not just a change in how the general public views LEOs. You see this in education too.

I think you guys are missing the word "unconditional." Meaning, you are in a position where you should be respected, but the level and consistency of that respect is reflection of you as individual. I respect anyone who decides to take on a career where they are put into danger, or a career that can be especially challenging. All I am saying is that being in that career is not the be all/end all.

(With the exception of the OP. He was there, it happened to him. He has the absolute right to call it as he sees it.)

If the OP has shared his experience exactly as it happened, then I would still argue that not enough transpired to know whether profiling actually occurred.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!