I was racially profiled at Disney Springs. What to do if it happens to you.

And you are absolutely entitled to that opinion.

Right. Everyone on here is, including OP. I just don't know how anyone can deduce from what OP has described as definitive profiling or not. With the OP being as adamant as he is about it being so, it makes me wonder whether there are additional details that may have been inadvertently left out. Its a head scratcher to me.

I always seemed to be chosen to go through the metal detector when it was still random. Do you think I'm being profiled for being an older female solo traveller or because of my Welsh accent?
Not being frivolous, but, I was bent over rummaging in my bag for a camera battery at Osborne's Lights and I was watched by a plain clothes security guy who wandered off when I got the battery out, this was before the security was amped up. I don't mind if they are just checking, keeps us safe in the long run.
The problem at the end of the day is the terrible attitude to gun controls and the now, far too frequent mass shootings not to mention the idiots who think that they should be the so called 'good guy with a gun' that gun nuts think will stop mass shootings.
Offended anyone? Tough.

I am a white, 5'6", 115-118 lbs 52 year old woman with light brown/blonde hair and when out try to look put together.

For some reason, I seem to be followed by security in stores, have been pulled aside in airports (even prior to 9/11, was traveling with my children in stroller and dh and was pulled into a private room to be checked before boarding a flight) and if this happened to me at DTD, I would chalk it up to I just must have that look since it happens to me but none of my friends or family seem to have this had happen to them.

Last edited:
To those wasting time poking holes in my story, my post wasn't for you. My post wasn’t an attempt to convince you I was racially profiled nor convince you it even exists. I’m wasn't seeking validation from anyone nor do I need it. I was there, you weren't.

My post was intended for and to help people who felt they were legitimately profiled based on their race on Disney property and what actionable steps are available to them. Things I wish I knew before. I made the mistake most people would make by first contacting Disney's compliant line. If it weren't for a helpful Castmember, I would never had known about filing a claim, which would result in an investigation whereas merely lodging a complaint would likely go unanswered.

Racial profiling is a pattern, if people don’t stand up to it and hold those accountable by reporting it, then they’ll keep doing it to others. I doubt a guard would be fired for 1 or 2 complaints, nor should they, but a dozen complaints would show a pattern. If you want something to be done, you have to file a claim with Disney:

1. Ask the officer why you were stopped. CALMLY request the officer’s name, badge number and department. Don’t assume they are Disney security. If they’re not wearing a blue shirt, they’re probably not.
2. Note the time and location. See if there are any visible cameras. Write down what he said while your memory is fresh.
3. File a claim with Disney.
4. You will be assigned a case number and receive a call the next business day.
5. You will be asked to give a recorded statement.
6. They will initiate an investigation and they WILL respond with the results of that investigation.

This was an officer from a local department or private security company, not Disney security. Disney can control which officers patrol their property and/or speak to that officer’s commanding officer about his conduct.

For those who questioned my motivation…

—NO, when I am pulled and patted down at the airport, I don’t think I’m being profiled.
—NO, I don’t believe people of color should be exempt from random inspections, nor do I think they should be singled out and stopped based solely on the color of their skin.
—NO, when I’ve been pulled over for a traffic infraction, I don’t assume I was profiled. I give the officer the benefit of the doubt.
—NO, I don’t believe all police are racists. I don't hate the police. I respect them and the hard job they do.
—NO, when I’m asked to walk through a metal detector after my backpack was inspected at a Disney Park, something done randomly to some guests, I don’t think I’m being profiled.
—NO, the officer did not offer an explanation why he stopped me. He pursued and stopped me to ask if I was carrying a gun. When I said no, he made some comment about pet hair on my shirt, I guess to insinuate that was what the K9 smelled. I offered him my backpack for inspection, he refused. Then he walked away with his dog. Okay, so I'm to believe the dog, without looking in my direction, smelled something suspicious on me from 350 ft away with about 100 people walking between us? The only eyes on me were the officer's, he was laser focused from the moment he saw me.
—NO, I was not wearing loud or conspicuous clothing. There was no bulge under my shirt. I was wearing tan shorts and a solid colored shirt. I don’t have facial hair. I have short, salt and pepper hair. I don't walk with a cane or limp. I didn't handle gasoline or other flammable substances recently.

—YES, I was racially profiled. That officer immediately eyeballed me from 350 ft away before I got to the bottom of the stairs and his K9 wasn’t looking in my direction. He then made a beeline to me through a crowd of 75-100 caucasians to stop and question me if I was carrying a gun, that is called racial profiling. He offered no explanation why he stopped me.

When someone locks eyes on you and stares you down, even at a distance, you know it. If the K9 was the probable cause to stop me and legitimately detected something on me, wouldn't the officer be obligated to search me or my backpack when I offered it to him? Are K9 officers trained to ignore their dog's alerts and just accept a subject's denial that they have a firearm? So I doubt the K9 detected anything. He just saw a minority and decided to go after me..

I go to Disney Springs frequently with my family. After all the mass shootings, I wish there was MORE uniformed security personnel. But that’s not a license to condone blatant racial profiling.

Some have suggested that in light of recent events, stopping me was justified. Let’s face it, if the officer’s motivation for stopping me that night was the recent mass shooting events, what would the shooter profile be? A lone white male in his 20’s or a middle-aged, minority male walking with his wife? Just saying.

This is an odd first time post.

I always seemed to be chosen to go through the metal detector when it was still random. Do you think I'm being profiled for being an older female solo traveller or because of my Welsh accent?
Not being frivolous, but, I was bent over rummaging in my bag for a camera battery at Osborne's Lights and I was watched by a plain clothes security guy who wandered off when I got the battery out, this was before the security was amped up. I don't mind if they are just checking, keeps us safe in the long run.
The problem at the end of the day is the terrible attitude to gun controls and the now, far too frequent mass shootings not to mention the idiots who think that they should be the so called 'good guy with a gun' that gun nuts think will stop mass shootings.
Offended anyone? Tough.

Calling people Idiots because they disagree with your Opinion...nice.
That moves the conversation/dialogue forward, not.
Obviously that’s not what your goal was/is.
Sad.

Actually, I'm calling people who think carrying lethal weapons will prevent mass shootings 'idiots' because the tragic shooting in Dayton where 9 people died in 30 seconds showed that 'logic' to be ridiculous. The answer to prevent mass shootings is no automatic weapons., not more.

Calling people Idiots because they disagree with your Opinion...nice.
That moves the conversation/dialogue forward, not.
Obviously that’s not what your goal was/is.
Sad.

Oh, there are definitely idiots out there who swagger around thinking that they'll save the day with their big old gun. One doesn't have to look far to find one. It's the truth, and it is sad, I'll agree with that.

Actually, I'm calling people who think carrying lethal weapons will prevent mass shootings 'idiots' because the tragic shooting in Dayton where 9 people died in 30 seconds showed that 'logic' to be ridiculous. The answer to prevent mass shootings is no automatic weapons., not more.
You are misinformed. No automatic weapons were involved.

You are misinformed. No automatic weapons were involved.

"The pistol... has a shorter barrel than an AR-style rifle, but it fires the same types of bullets and uses the same magazines."

So we'll just say: "Those types of weapons". That encompasses all types that are capable of shooting dozens in seconds. That way we don't have to quibble over manufacturers, year produced, color, etc., etc., etc.

My husband is frequently profiled. But that is because he is 6'4 and 250 lbs rough looking and sort of intimidating to anyone who doesn't know he's a giant teddy bear.
Any time we go anywhere where there is security they will approach him and ask him random questions. He's always "randomly selected" for extra security at the airport.
Heading into DLR from Harbor we have been stopped multiple times by the PD with their dogs and asked if he was carrying any weapons. When DH says no and the dog doesn't trigger anything they let us go. Profiling happens all the time. It's not necessarily about race. I'm not saying that isn't what happened, I'm just saying that's not necessarily the only reason why it happened either.

So I mentioned earlier that this thread was devolving. And now we somehow moved from a possible racial profiling incident to mass shootings? How are those two things connected?

So I mentioned earlier that this thread was devolving. And now we somehow moved from a possible racial profiling incident to mass shootings? How are those two things connected?

Talking about the possibility of someone being armed in a crowded public space, I assume.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!