I Was Right - It Is GallBladder! Update from earlier post

bamagirl@hrt

DIS Veteran
For those of you who read my earlier post stating I thought I was having a gall bladder attack, I was right. I learned today that it's a threatening type that shouldn't wait until I get back for surgery. So, I'm having surgery tomorrow. And I'm supposed to leave for WDW on Thursday.

Dr. says I can go on Thursday, as long as I feel like it. Airlines are being a pain in the butt! Can't reschedule for the next day without outrageous fees - even with a medical emergency letter! They claim that they can't even guarantee that my letter will make any difference. Delta is the worst!

--OK-- vent over.

DH thinks we should just cancel the airfare (still $800 to do that!) and drive a couple of days later. I just don't know what to do.

If you don't feel up to it, please don't go! Though others may say nothing beats the magic of even a little bit of Disney, it's just not the same if you're not able to enjoy it. I've forged ahead and gone on my trips despite not feeling 100% sometimes and I've always regretted not having the stamina to do the rides and attractions that I look forward to.

Did you have trip insurance? Even airline tickets purchased separately, as long as they match your package dates, are covered by the Disney insurance. The airlines haven't taken medical letters in years, and are never understanding or accomodating like they were in years past. Even their customer service agents don't have any leeway like they used to.

I had my gallbladder out via laparoscopic Sept 2, and was back to work Sept 10. It was inflammed and I had a stone in the neck of the gb. However, those first few days after the surgery, even with pain meds, were pretty painfull. I felt so horrible. They gave me enough vicodin for pain for about 5 days.

It was difficult to bend over and dress at times. I think you may be very uncomfortable just having to in those oh-so spacious seats in the plane-depending on how long the flight would be. I would definetely call for a wheelchair if you do end up traveling!

I am 27 and (way) overweight, but I healed up really fast if thats any bright light at the end of the tunnel.

That is really cruddy of the airlines-this is one case where the trip insurance would have been useful! Unless you paid for the fully refundable fare, they stick it to you of course.

In any case, I wish you the best of of luck and I will pray that all goes well and you! Let us all know what you end up doing! You can always pm me if you have any other questions as well ;)

When I had my gallbladder out several years ago, I couldn't believe how sore I was. Like PP said, bending, stretching, and even sitting down...was painful for the first 3-4 days. Good Luck, and hope things work out for you.

My dad had gallbladder surgery and was on his feet quite fast, I think it was a day. I think the anesthetic threw him off worse than the actual surgery.

I had sinus surgery back in 02 and I think I would have been fine to fly within 24 hours.

See how you feel after the surgery and don't go unless you feel up to it.

Good luck and get well quick!

Every surgery can have complications. 8 years ago, I went in to get my gallbladder removed laparoscopically. As it turned out, I was missing some body part called my cystic duct, and they ended up slicing me open like I was a fish! They ended up re-routing things, and I had an ostomy bag on for 3 weeks following the surgery. It was a 4 hour surgery with a second surgeon called in to assist during this "emergency."
Anyway, this isn't about me.....this is really just about how things can happen unexpectedly. I'd hate for something to go wrong, and then you can't go on vacation at all. I never in a million years thought that I would have had a 7 day hospital stay, and a 4 hour surgery with two surgeons.
Chances are nothing like this will ever happen to you........but please know that complications may arise. Good luck to you, and I wish you the very best!

I had my gallbladdar out on a Wednesday (via laporoscopy), and I managed to hobble over to Chicago's Air & Water show by Saturday. You will be sore and weak, so don't push yourself too hard. Also, bring a pillow with you if you do travel....you can press it against your stomach, and it will help. Good luck...sorry about this lousy timing.

You might be able to do it. I had my gallbladder removed and I am not even sure my doctor gave me pain meds. I think she sent me home with a pill or two and said take Advil if you need it. I found the surgery pretty easy to recover from and was back at work a few days later. Just make sure you have comfy elastic waist pants and see how you feel. Less than a month after my gallbladder removal I had an abdominal hernia repaired and was across the country house hunting less than a week later. I hate to be "out of commission"-you just have to take it slow and not push yourself too much. For comparison it is about 1/10 as bad a c-section (from my experience).

:hug:

I am so sorry you are having to deal with this. I was hoping it *was* just the stress as your doctor first thought. (Was this the same doctor who made this diagnosis or a different one? Any chance at a second opinion before surgery? I know it is a long shot and wishful thinking- LOL! )

I think the biggest thing is to be f~l~e~x~i~b~l~e. With surgery it is very hit and miss how your individual recovery will go. I have had several surgeries and the worst was my wisdom teeth because of anesthesia complications. After my 6 hour shoulder surgery (same day) I went to eat out with my family at Bennigan's and never took a pain med. It depends a lot on your pain tolerance, what the doctors find when they get in there, and if you are able to rest and heal. At least you will have LOTS of motivation to feel better quickly if you think you can make it work. ;)

So I guess, I would pack as much as possible tonight and hope and pray that by Thursday you feel up to hopping on that plane bound for sunny Florida. Oh, and getting an ECV might really help the first few days to get you over the hump so you wouldn't have to scrap the whole thing

I will be praying that your surgery goes really well tomorrow! :goodvibes

My dad had gallbladder surgery and was on his feet quite fast, I think it was a day. I think the anesthetic threw him off worse than the actual surgery.

I had sinus surgery back in 02 and I think I would have been fine to fly within 24 hours.

See how you feel after the surgery and don't go unless you feel up to it.

Good luck and get well quick!

Your dad had the same experience as me. They did keep me overnight, fine by me I worked for my dad at the time running his pool hall and they wanted me back to work the next day, least the hospital stay got me an extra day. For my job I was on my feet for 7-8 hours a night. The doctor gave me percocet (sp) but I only took a few and used motrin more often. Sometimes I think recovery is all in our mind. DBF had to have kidney stones removed, 1 hour after they put him out he was downstairs smoking. Amazing he must have really needed that cigarette. They went in after the stone, ouch!

good luck on the surgery and to a speedy recovery. Heck I'd rather be in Disney recovering than anywhere, just take it easy with eating.

Had mine removed in Aug 2000. I was in serious pain for a week. No way in heck I could have even considered being anywhere other than my livingroom recliner! BFF had hers out last Spring and she was in serious pain for about 4 days after.

Honestly I do not see how you could do Disney a day or 2 after surgery- even in a wheelchair!

Good luck with your surgery.

I'm going to move this over to the theme parks community board.

:hug:

I am so sorry you are having to deal with this. I was hoping it *was* just the stress as your doctor first thought. (Was this the same doctor who made this diagnosis or a different one? Any chance at a second opinion before surgery? I know it is a long shot and wishful thinking- LOL! )

I think the biggest thing is to be f~l~e~x~i~b~l~e. With surgery it is very hit and miss how your individual recovery will go. I have had several surgeries and the worst was my wisdom teeth because of anesthesia complications. After my 6 hour shoulder surgery (same day) I went to eat out with my family at Bennigan's and never took a pain med. It depends a lot on your pain tolerance, what the doctors find when they get in there, and if you are able to rest and heal. At least you will have LOTS of motivation to feel better quickly if you think you can make it work. ;)

So I guess, I would pack as much as possible tonight and hope and pray that by Thursday you feel up to hopping on that plane bound for sunny Florida. Oh, and getting an ECV might really help the first few days to get you over the hump so you wouldn't have to scrap the whole thing

I will be praying that your surgery goes really well tomorrow! :goodvibes

Sweetmonkey,
I took your advice from my other thread. I did the organic apple juice and epsom salt. I even went a step further and did the gallbladder cleanse I'd found at several locations on the internet that included olive oil and lemon juice. I was desperate for relief and thought that the all natural ingredients couldn't hurt. But my ultrasound showed a large stone at the neck of the gall bladder, which could be really bad if it decides to move. I was able to get an appointment with a very well regarded surgeon for today. The only good thing that came out of my dr's appt on Friday was that he could order the ultrasound to be done yesterday. That way the surgeon had the results at my appt today.

Anyway, dr. did not recommend trying to wait until I got back. Said I was at high risk for major attack, leading to emergency (as in life threatening) surgery. He is supportive in me going on Thursday as long as I feel like it. I'm going to play it by ear. I've rented DVC points, so it's not like a regular WDW hotel ressie. If all is well, I will go. If not, I will stay home.

Thanks for your advice and prayers!

:eek: I am really glad they did the ultrasound yesterday. Natural methods have a place in prevention/minor correction, but it certainly sounds like you need the surgery - and soon! :hug:

I am so glad that you stayed after a solution and were able to get at the proper diagnosis. The good news is that gallbladder surgery is a fairly routine surgery and it sounds like you have selected a great surgeon. Now hopefully you will heal quickly and have little pain. I will be thinking about you tomorrow. Keep us posted if you can.

Sweetmonkey,
I took your advice from my other thread. I did the organic apple juice and epsom salt. I even went a step further and did the gallbladder cleanse I'd found at several locations on the internet that included olive oil and lemon juice. I was desperate for relief and thought that the all natural ingredients couldn't hurt. But my ultrasound showed a large stone at the neck of the gall bladder, which could be really bad if it decides to move. I was able to get an appointment with a very well regarded surgeon for today. The only good thing that came out of my dr's appt on Friday was that he could order the ultrasound to be done yesterday. That way the surgeon had the results at my appt today.

Anyway, dr. did not recommend trying to wait until I got back. Said I was at high risk for major attack, leading to emergency (as in life threatening) surgery. He is supportive in me going on Thursday as long as I feel like it. I'm going to play it by ear. I've rented DVC points, so it's not like a regular WDW hotel ressie. If all is well, I will go. If not, I will stay home.

Thanks for your advice and prayers!

I think it all depends on the person and the situation....

I was in the hospital for a week back in January before they figured out what the problem was. They removed my gallbladder and I was really hurting for probably 3 days but then I ended up with an infection where my staples were and ended up being off work for 3 weeks.

My dad had his out 6 weeks ago and was good to go by day 3 but then he had a massive attack and ended up back in the hospital due to complications and his pancreas and other organs started shutting down. He was put in ICU for a week and in the hospital for 2 weeks total.

You just never know how you're going to react, if complications will arise or everything may go perfectly. Just keep your options open and listen to your body....you don't want to overdo it.

Best wishes in whatever you decide to do!!! :goodvibes

Had the surgery today. My GB was inflamed and full of gallstones. Dr. said it was like pinching a basketball with tweezers. But, he was still able to do it laproscopically. Right now I feel like I've done about 2000 ab crunches, but I'm ok. Still planning to make the trip. I'm loaded up with meds for pain & naseau.

Thanks for all your well wishes and prayers!

I was just checking in to see how you trip is going. I hope you are still doing well and are feeling much better!!! :hug:

We got home about 11:30 last night. I've decided that unless I have a direct flight, it's not worth flying! With the 3 hour prior pickup by DME & the airline delays, it took us as long to get home than if we'd driven!

However, flight frustrations aside, we had a great trip. Granted, it was a slower paced trip than ever before, but it was still good. We arrived on Thursday, 10/1. After resting, I did walk from BCV over to Norway in WS for dinner. On Friday, I just slept & rested all day while Gary took the kids to MK and to the pool. By Saturday, I was in the parks. I still sat a lot more than usual. That worked out fine, because Gary & the kids rode EE & Dinosaur while I waited in the shade. The days we'd planned for water parks turned into rest & swim at our pool days. Of course, with Stormalong Bay, it was almost as good as a water park. I also didn't do the Keys to the Kingdom tour. I felt like I'd missed a lot with the kids at the beginning of the trip, and I wanted to spend more time with them. Plus, I didn't know if I'd have the stamina to keep up. I moved pretty slowly this trip!

All in all, it's not the trip I'd planned, but it was a good trip. I'm thankful that I was able to go. I'm thankful that I was able to eat without fearing another attack. I'm thankful for a family that's much more flexible than I am! :rolleyes: And now, I'm thankful to be back home. Thanks to all of you who sent well wishes during this whole ordeal!

Glad to hear you had a good time. Sounds like you enjoyed it even if it was a little less than you planned. I'm sure your kids where just glad to be with you on vacation. You would have been miserable if you had not had the surgery before you went and ended up sick and having to stay in the room the whole trip. I know how bad that gallbladder thing can be. I had mine out a few years ago after going almost a year before going to the doctor. I tell everyone now to go if they think it could be that. The surgery and recovery is so much less pain than what you suffer beforehand. Glad you're all back home safe and sound.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter