I Went Running and Racing...and Boozing and Freezing!

What a great report! I can't wait to hear about your next trip which doesnt sound too far off!!
Thanks so much for reading :) Glad you enjoyed it!! I had so much fun writing it and reliving my trip (for a whole 9 months it took me to get the report finished LOL!!)

We entered the debriefing room (?) and stood on our circles. The guy in the video was a little distracting and hard to listen to. I found myself thinking, OK, just get on with it, but I get the full immersive quality of having us wave our arms around, etc.
I agree lets just get on with it.

we saw a familiar little tail waddling ahead of us. Rob yelled, “Donald! I thought ducks like the rain!” To which Donald replied with a little tail wag at us.
LOL

Love this pic of you

Donald made everyone cheer for me and said, I was #1!

Too cute

“If I didn’t post a pic of a Miller Lite with my medal, did I even run a race?
Love it. I'm also a Lite girl

Thanks for taking the time to write this TR I really enjoyed your run Disney posts, your'e excitement really showed.

Last edited:
Awesome that you're back! I was wondering where you went :rotfl:

I said, “Is it too early for a Lapu Lapu?” and he pulled a pineapple out from behind the bar and started filling it up. #goodanswer
20180105_084735 by Jackie Lagoni, on Flickr

Verdict—it was messy. It leaked, so I had to carry it on a little plate when our buzzer went off. I felt kind of silly carrying my pineapple around the restaurant with me, but it certainly was delicious!!

It's so cute. I meant to get one and I forgot!

I have never cared about Mickey waffles before (I know, right!? Revoke my DIS card!) but they were damn delicious at ‘Ohana!! Perfect amount of crunchy and soft, and how did I not know Stitch waffles were a thing!?

'Ohana breakfast is awesome. I much prefer it to the dinner there!

The Poly is gorgeous! If I ever get a really great coupon code, maybe we’ll stay there some day!

I'll be there in 32 days :love:

We wandered over to It’s a Small World because Rob loves it so much. I was confused at first when I saw how our names appeared on the screen at the end this time! But then realized, I had two MBs with me—one was in my purse.

:laughing: Hysterical!

Around 2:30, we headed out of the park, and I had tears in my eyes because I don’t know when I will be back. (edit: Sooner than I thought!!)

Do tell!

When we were leaving, we told the lifeguard supervisor how wonderful that lifeguard had been, and so quick to action.

Great story. Those Lifeguards are the unsung heroes of WDW. Can you imagine how many lives they have saved while the parents aren't paying attention??

From the Menu:

I honestly didn't think it was strong AT ALL! It tasted fruity mostly. I hardly noticed any alcohol flavor in it and definitely didn't feel tipsy at all. I watched him put the rum in, so I know it was there, but definitely wasn't too strong.

Thanks for this! I'm still really hesitant to try it because I seriously dislike Dark Rum. Now if it had vodka in it.......

My parents, Rob, Jimmy and I will be doing a Very Merrytime Cruise next December ON Christmas!!

Sounds like fun! I will get on a Disney cruise someday.

Love it. I'm also a Lite girl
Cheers!! :drinking1

Thanks for taking the time to write this TR I really enjoyed your run Disney posts, your'e excitement really showed.
Thanks for reading!! :) When I wrote my very first one I just hoped there would be one person who would read or comment. I'm so thankful people enjoyed reading about our trip because I sure loved reliving it here!!

Awesome that you're back! I was wondering where you went :rotfl:
I got lost in the land of Kindergarten!! Thankfully found my way back here because the DIS is my sanity and my escape!!!

I'll be there in 32 days :love:
Oh, boy!!!! :) My countdown is significantly higher....465 days. BUT we are doing a Very Merrytime Cruise, and I couldn't be more excited!!! :jumping1: Have you sailed on the Dream before?? I have been trying to soak up anything I can find about it!!

Oh, boy!!!! :) My countdown is significantly higher....465 days. BUT we are doing a Very Merrytime Cruise, and I couldn't be more excited!!! :jumping1: Have you sailed on the Dream before?? I have been trying to soak up anything I can find about it!!

We went on a 4-night on the Dream in 2016. I absolutely loved it! I have lots of pics in the beginning of my 2016 TR linked below. You’re going to love it!

A few people have encouraged me to share the story of our epic family road trip this summer, and because it was so amazing and I can’t stop myself looking at our pictures over and over, I figured I might as well continue it here :)

So, if you feel like coming along to join us, buckle your seat belt and hop in the car as the Lagonis hit the road for 2 weeks of family road trip fun taking us to the Louisville Slugger Factory, Hilton Head Island, Universal Studios Orlando, LEGOland, and a surprise two days at Walt Disney World!

June 15, 2018

Jimmy and I were lucky enough to get out of school on June 1, 2018 this year! Poor Rob still had two more weeks to go. On his last day of school, June 15th, I dropped him off at the train to head to work for his half day, and returned home to start packing up the car! Jimmy and I waited impatiently for it to be time to pick him up. We drove down to his school and waited a bit more when we FINALLY saw him walking out the building. It was like I’d never been more excited to see him than I was at that moment!
20180615_101234 by Jackie Lagoni, on Flickr

We were finally ready to hit the open road!

The plan was to drive to Chattanooga, Tennessee today, spend the night there and then drive the rest of the way to Hilton Head in the morning. We planned for one stop at the Louisville Slugger Factory on our way; however, I neglected to remember the time difference! We would be cutting it pretty close to their closing time of 5 p.m. (4:00 our time) if we made any stops. Jimmy must have a bladder of steal because every time I checked with him he was doing fine and didn’t need to stop. We eventually did make a quick stop at McDonald’s to grab dinner and use their bathroom. We didn’t even stay there to eat—despite Rob being concerned about setting Jimmy loose in the backseat with ketchup LOL We all ate in the car (no ketchup was spilled!) and Jimmy and Mr. Incredible were excited to get on our way. Mr. Incredible was the first of several Incredibles II characters to join our family by the end of this road trip…we haven’t eaten McD’s since we got back, but it was just the easiest option for us while on the road!
20180615_123112 by Jackie Lagoni, on Flickr

I figured we would need about an hour to be able to do the factory tour, as well as check out the 25th Anniversary of The Sandlot exhibit, and time was really ticking. Lucky for us (and the only time on this trip!) traffic was in our favor! We made it to the parking lot at exactly 4 p.m. Louisville time, hurried around the corner and stopped for a quick pic in front of the giant bat! We had made it!
20180615_145856 by Jackie Lagoni, on Flickr

Jimmy was in his glory! He loved checking out the wall of fame with all of the players signatures on it, he liked checking out the artifacts from the making of The Sandlot (thought it was really a tiny exhibit, and everything was in little glass cases…it was pretty cool to see the Babe Ruth ball and Squints’s glasses, as well as the Wheaties box periscope in person though!) Jimmy’s (and Rob’s) favorite part was getting to hold the actual bats belonging to several players including this one that belonged to Mickey Mantle!!
20180615_150248 by Jackie Lagoni, on Flickr 20180615_153909 by Jackie Lagoni, on Flickr 20180615_154252 by Jackie Lagoni, on Flickr 20180615_154741 by Jackie Lagoni, on Flickr

Then, it was back in the car and a bit more driving ahead of us.
20180615_162050 by Jackie Lagoni, on Flickr
20180615_185539 by Jackie Lagoni, on Flickr

After our stop it seemed as though we may not actually make it all the way to Chattanooga tonight. We decided to stop at a Pizza Hut for dinner and find a hotel before it got too dark out.
20180615_200918 by Jackie Lagoni, on Flickr

We ended up picking a Comfort Inn because it was right off the highway and we were pretty pooped! It ended up costing a little more than we wanted to spend for the night, but breakfast would be included in the morning and by signing up for their loyalty program I would be able to get a discount on our room when we were heading back home at the end of the trip, as well as earn a $50 gift card of my choice. #sold We went right to sleep after Jimmy completed his ritual of jumping on the bed as soon as we arrive in any hotel room. (This is how we keep him from jumping on his bed at home. Since he’s been a little guy, he has been convinced you are only allowed to do it at hotels. LOL)
20180615_202521 by Jackie Lagoni, on Flickr

June 16, 2018

We packed up the few things we’d taken out, went downstairs for breakfast and checked out of our hotel before 8 a.m. We were back on the road for what should have been about a 5 hour drive to our condo on Hilton Head Island. Traffic worked against us almost the entire way. We just kept hitting weird random pockets of heavy traffic accompanied by several accidents making us go down to one lane or come to a complete standstill multiple times. It ended up taking us closer to 8 hours to get there, but once we did, the view made it all worthwhile!
20180616_164557 by Jackie Lagoni, on Flickr

We unpacked and got settled into the condo before taking a short 2 block stroll over to the Frosty Frog Café. We all enjoyed our slushy drinks! The unique thing about the Frosty Frog is you get to choose the size of your drink, as well as the proof of pure grain alcohol in it. Wowza! I usually go with the medium size and the lowest proof!
20180616_181708 by Jackie Lagoni, on Flickr 20180616_182648 by Jackie Lagoni, on Flickr

After dinner, we headed out to the beach for a sunset and to search for crabs. It was a perfect end to our day, and beginning of a fabulous vacation ahead!

20180616_194809 by Jackie Lagoni, on Flickr 20180616_194914 by Jackie Lagoni, on Flickr 20180616_195813 by Jackie Lagoni, on Flickr

June 17-18, 2018

Most of our days in Hilton Head started with me being the first one up, having breakfast on the balcony and reading my book. Eventually Jimmy would peek out the door and come out to join me, and finally Rob would get moving. These days were the start of this routine!
20180617_100548 by Jackie Lagoni, on Flickr
Funny story--that bucket in Rob's hand is actually a relic from our Honeymoon trip to WDW in 2006. I bought a sand pail cocktail at a little stand on the Pleasure Island side of Downtown Disney that came in that bucket. Rob made fun of me for keeping it and bringing it home back then. I've saved it all this time, and it's Jimmy's favorite go-to beach bucket, which makes me smile every time he uses it :)

After our fun on the beach, we took a walk down the sand to Pool Bar Jim’s and enjoyed the afternoon sunshine! We took a shady walk down the short 2 blocks to all the cute little shops at Coligny Beach before heading back to the beach again for more fun and another gorgeous sunset.
20180617_125648 by Jackie Lagoni, on Flickr 20180617_132240 by Jackie Lagoni, on Flickr 20180617_154754 by Jackie Lagoni, on Flickr 20180618_191047 by Jackie Lagoni, on Flickr

Monday, we headed out to the beach and enjoyed the waves. Jimmy brought his new boogie board along and spent the week perfecting his skills! We built many sandcastles and creations, went digging for seashells and saw lots of crabs, jellyfish and most exciting—dolphins!
20180618_093702 by Jackie Lagoni, on Flickr 20180618_114242 by Jackie Lagoni, on Flickr

20180618_191333 by Jackie Lagoni, on Flickr
How did my little guy grow up so quickly?!
IMG_20180618_171642_704000 by Jackie Lagoni, on Flickr

We went out for a most delicious meal at The Sandbar before spending some much needed family time playing card games in the A/C...never leave your phone unattended with those two Lagoni boys around.
Screenshot_20180618-125522_Snapchat by Jackie Lagoni, on Flickr
20180618_193130 by Jackie Lagoni, on Flickr

June 19, 2018

We spent Tuesday doing much the same—enjoying the beach and hanging with each other. We walked back to the Frosty Frog for lunch and more tasty frozen drinks. Rob was really enjoying The Incredible Hulk!
20180619_094948 by Jackie Lagoni, on Flickr 20180619_095305 by Jackie Lagoni, on Flickr
20180619_120910 by Jackie Lagoni, on Flickr

June 20, 2018

Wednesday, Jimmy and I enjoyed our usual breakfast on the balcony and sent some smooches home to Grandma and Grandpa.
20180620_082735 by Jackie Lagoni, on Flickr

We headed out in the car for the first time since we had arrived on the island. We drove through the Sea Pines Plantation to Harbor Town.

Jimmy loved their giant playground made of wood and surrounded by giant beautiful trees!
20180620_092912 by Jackie Lagoni, on Flickr

The lighthouse was wrapped in tartan plaid in celebration of the anniversary year for the golf outing I know nothing about….and which Rob is not being helpful remembering the name of!! Sorry if you were hoping for further details on this.
20180620_093638 by Jackie Lagoni, on Flickr 20180620_094621 by Jackie Lagoni, on Flickr

We took in the sights from the top of the lighthouse before making our way down to have lunch at The Cranky Crab…and yes, our waitress lived up to the name of the restaurant! She walked up to our table and demanded, “To drink?” We were taken aback having just sat down and not even had a moment to look at our menus. She didn’t even introduce herself. We placed our drink order and without even leaving the table to get them, she said, “To eat?” Needless to say, we did not leave a great tip. The food was tasty, but rather expensive for the tiny portion sizes. We enjoyed our drinks though...because vacation!
20180620_102139 by Jackie Lagoni, on Flickr 20180620_102213 by Jackie Lagoni, on Flickr

We enjoyed our time in Harbor Town, but were ready to head back to the beach!
20180620_105024 by Jackie Lagoni, on Flickr 20180620_141338 by Jackie Lagoni, on Flickr 20180620_145113 by Jackie Lagoni, on Flickr

Ooh, I'm glad you're sharing about this! I loved your FB posts and am super jazzed to hear more - what an awesome family trip of memories!

Jimmy completed his ritual of jumping on the bed as soon as we arrive in any hotel room. (This is how we keep him from jumping on his bed at home. Since he’s been a little guy, he has been convinced you are only allowed to do it at hotels. LOL)

Bahaha I love this! Smart thinking!

Funny story--that bucket in Rob's hand is actually a relic from our Honeymoon trip to WDW in 2006. I bought a sand pail cocktail at a little stand on the Pleasure Island side of Downtown Disney that came in that bucket. Rob made fun of me for keeping it and bringing it home back then. I've saved it all this time, and it's Jimmy's favorite go-to beach bucket, which makes me smile every time he uses it :)

Oh that's so sweet! I love that you kept it, and now it can be special to you and to Jimmy, too :)

Jimmy loved their giant playground made of wood and surrounded by giant beautiful trees!

How cool!!

The lighthouse was wrapped in tartan plaid in celebration of the anniversary year for the golf outing I know nothing about….and which Rob is not being helpful remembering the name of!! Sorry if you were hoping for further details on this.

Hmmmm...strange. No idea what this is, or why, but that's the Royal Bank of Canada logo. One of our major banks here at home. :confused3

So happy to see you sharing this trip here! It looked like so much fun on Facebook!

The Cranky Crab…and yes, our waitress lived up to the name of the restaurant! She walked up to our table and demanded, “To drink?” We were taken aback having just sat down and not even had a moment to look at our menus. She didn’t even introduce herself. We placed our drink order and without even leaving the table to get them, she said, “To eat?” Needless to say, we did not leave a great tip.

Yikes…I don't blame you for not tipping much. Was that part of a schtick? If so, it seems like she was getting it all wrong :confused3

We love HH :love: We were there about a month after you, I think. Our villa was LITERALLY right next to the Disney Beach House. We made our way over there quite a few times for some Dole Whips and Mickey Ice Cream Bars :mickeybar

Enjoyed your TR and enjoying reading about your road trip! My favorite vacations are road trips!

Hmmmm...strange. No idea what this is, or why, but that's the Royal Bank of Canada logo. One of our major banks here at home. :confused3
I googled it just for you :) It's the Royal Bank of Canada Heritage golf tournament. Apparently it's South Carolina's only PGA tour event, and while we were there it was the 50th anniversary.

Yikes…I don't blame you for not tipping much. Was that part of a schtick? If so, it seems like she was getting it all wrong :confused3
No schtick! Every other waiter/waitress we saw was very smiling and friendly--the southern hospitality we are used to!
We love HH :love: We were there about a month after you, I think. Our villa was LITERALLY right next to the Disney Beach House. We made our way over there quite a few times for some Dole Whips and Mickey Ice Cream Bars :mickeybar
We have quickly fallen in love with HHI! I'd love to stay on Disney's property there someday--or close enough to walk :)

Enjoyed your TR and enjoying reading about your road trip! My favorite vacations are road trips!
Road trips were some of my favorite family vacations growing up. It was so much fun to be able to give Jimmy some of those memories!

few people have encouraged me to share the story of our epic family road trip

YAY!! I'm so excited that you decided to share this. It was fun to follow along on Facebook and I can't wait to read all the details.

stopped for a quick pic in front of the giant bat!

Very cool!

The Sandlot

Can you believe I've never seen this one?

Since he’s been a little guy, he has been convinced you are only allowed to do it at hotels. LOL

:rotfl2:That's just awesome parenting there.

We just kept hitting weird random pockets of heavy traffic accompanied by several accidents making us go down to one lane or come to a complete standstill multiple times

Welcome to my world everyday. Although you probably are used to it being from Chicago.

Frosty Frog is you get to choose the size of your drink, as well as the proof of pure grain alcohol in it.

I think I love this place. ::yes:: Kind of reminds me of Wet Willie's in Savannah.

Jimmy brought his new boogie board along and spent the week perfecting his skills! We built many sandcastles and creations, went digging for seashells and saw lots of crabs, jellyfish and most exciting—dolphins!

Sounds like a wonderful, relaxing trip so far!

I’ve gotta say your son has the best teams hat on ;) #ThisIsMyCrew

Looks like a great trip! I have been to Louisville Slugger but it was quite a while ago at this point.

Can you believe I've never seen this one?
What!? You must!
:rotfl2:That's just awesome parenting there.
One of my brighter ideas :)

Welcome to my world everyday. Although you probably are used to it being from Chicago.
It was JUST like being in the ridiculous gridlock that is my daily commute!! 2 hours to get 16 miles is about usual. Yuck.

I think I love this place. ::yes:: Kind of reminds me of Wet Willie's in Savannah.
It's EXACTLY like Wet Willie's!!! Rob's uncle and cousin love it there, so when we stumbled upon Frosty Frog that's all they could talk about!

I’ve gotta say your son has the best teams hat on ;) #ThisIsMyCrew
YES!! Our Crew. Our October! :) We were actually in the Dells Sunday night watching the game at dinner. He was screaming and celebrating when they won...we were obviously surrounded by mostly tourists because no one else seemed to be aware what he was cheering about.

You all are just too cute!

Glad you made it to the Louisville Slugger Factory before closing! I would have loved seeing all The Sandlot stuff!

Your days at the beach sound so fun and perfect! I've never been to SC but really would love to do a beach trip there one year!

I am so glad I found this! I had fun following along on facebook with your summer trips!

(This is how we keep him from jumping on his bed at home. Since he’s been a little guy, he has been convinced you are only allowed to do it at hotels. LOL)
20180615_202521 by Ja
I love this! The things we come up with to get our kids to not do things!

How did my little guy grow up so quickly?!
Way too fast!!!

Hilton Head sounds great. We have thought about going there, just haven't gotten there yet.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter