I will be in Hong Kong December 16th to the 20th with my husband

HappyontheLake

Five cruises down, fingers crossed for Jan 2022
with really just the 17, 18, & 19 for us to sight see, etc. I am flying over to meet him on his way back home from India.

I am considering seeing if he wants to go the Disney while there (and forever earn the wrath of our four kids).

With only those 3 days to see anything, would this work? We are big Disney fans with several trips each to Disneyland in California and WDW and 1 Disney Cruise done and a 2nd one coming up in March.

Thanks!

I am there 3 times a year on buisness.

Hong Kong disney is neat to see once. It is mega tiny and very pricey. Last time I check it was about $80 US dollars a day. It should only take you about 3/4 of a day too see it all. It is easy to access from the MTR. Don't know where you are coming from in HK but it is off of the pink line. From the airport taking the MTR you will need about 60 HKD on your octopus pass.

Have a great time.

I am there 3 times a year on buisness.

Hong Kong disney is neat to see once. It is mega tiny and very pricey. Last time I check it was about $80 US dollars a day. It should only take you about 3/4 of a day too see it all. It is easy to access from the MTR. Don't know where you are coming from in HK but it is off of the pink line. From the airport taking the MTR you will need about 60 HKD on your octopus pass.

Have a great time.

Agreed, it's nice to see once...it has a few nice qualities (good versions of Space Mountain, Jungle Cruise, Its a Small World, Buzz Lightyear) however it doesn't have many things that are unique and overall it's just very small. A "light" version of Disneyland is the only way I can describe it.

I would say even 1/2 a day is enough to see it all, depending on how busy it is.

I would agree with the "Disneyland Lite" tag - it's bite-size, but beautiful. There's enough to do for a whole day, but equally you could go for half a day, hit the highlights and go away content. I would say it was worth a visit.

Tickets are 350 HKD (45 USD).

I did a trip report a while ago which has plenty of photos: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2178028

Have fun!

Thanks, steve76, for the great TR on HKDL. My family and I will be going in April and I can't tell you how helpful this was. I'm really excited to see the park for myself.

You mentioned a cable car tour that you had taken at the beginning of your trip in HK. Was that through a tour company? If so, do you remember the details? It looks like something we may want to explore.

Thanks again for the awesome (can you tell I'm from California?) information.

You mentioned a cable car tour that you had taken at the beginning of your trip in HK. Was that through a tour company? If so, do you remember the details? It looks like something we may want to explore.

The cable car was the Ngong Ping cable car http://www.np360.com.hk/html/eng/np360_exp/cablecar_index.html which takes you up to near the top of Lantau Island (which is where Disneyland and the airport are).

You get the cable car from the town of Tung Chung, on Lantau Island. If I recall correctly, if you're heading there from central Hong Kong, it's one stop further than Sunny Bay (which is where you change for the very quick train ride to Disneyland). I was there around opening time and there was a sizeable queue, so it might be worth getting there early. The cable car ride takes you (again, if I recall correctly) over the water to the man-made island that the airport is on, where you turn a corner and begin the ascent up into the mountains. You cover quite a distance (I think it took 20-25 minutes) and the scenery is spectacular.

When you get to the top, it lets you out into a "cultural village" which is a built-for-tourists village consisting of shops and restaurants (and a Starbucks!). There are also a few mini-attractions. I did one of them, which was a kind of a walk-through thing about buddhism, with a headset narration. To be honest I can't remember much about it (which says a lot!).

If you walk through the village, you get to the Po Lin monastery (which you can look around, and even have lunch there if you want) and a spectacular Buddah which you can walk up to (and which is one of the largest seated Buddhas in the world).

There are also some walking paths heading off from the Buddah. Some of them are quite serious hikes, but I did a short and pleasant one (the Wisdom Path) which took me to an area with a group of carved timbers (see picture below). The scenery here was amazing.

I did this by myself. I'm fairly sure that there are organised tours that do Ngong Ping (it's one of the main tourist attractions in Hong Kong) but in my view it is not necessary to do it as part of a tour - if you can handle the metro (which is easy) then you can handle Ngong Ping. Plus it means you can spend as long as you like. Because of its proximity to Disneyland it would be ideal to combine the two, if you were only going to spend half a day at Disneyland. You can also get to the top by bus, so if you do an organised tour, make sure it does actually include the cable car ride.

All in all - if you have time, I would highly recommend the cable car ride, along with the Buddha and some of the walking paths at the top.

Unfortunately one of my memory cards went kaputt so I lost a lot of my pictures :scared: and I don't have any photos of the cable car journey itself... but I do have a few from the top of the island. However if you look on youtube there are plenty of videos (e.g. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoueOuAj5_I

1382.jpg

1377.jpg

1372.jpg

1368.jpg

1352.jpg

1348.jpg

Wow - this looks amazing. I have added it to my official list of things to do in Hong Kong. We'll probably forgo the organized tour and do it on our own. That's our preference anyway.

If you ever have any questions regarding Disneyland Resort in CA, let me know.

I'm checking it all out next week :banana:

I'll take pics and post them here! :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!