I wish Disney will start selling fastpasses....

Which is exactly the OP's point.
YOU don't have to. Those of us who do want to pay extra can.
Don't get me wrong I know how to get the FP+ I want and I never wait in a line more than 15 minutes and often end the day with 6-7 FP+ but I'd still appreciate the option.
As I said in my other post I'm staying CL this time and honestly decided the price was not worth it with how much I', already spending but if staying at a value I would not mind that minimum price.

It is never that simple. I think that even now, the number of FP available is relatively few compared to the number of people who want them, so if you add the opportunity to purchase them the number is reduced significantly. If you then keep the 60 day window for onsite guests, the pool of popular or hard to secure FP is going to be very small for those people who stay offsite. Honestly, while the concept may seem to be harmless, I think that it is one step closer to having everyone buy FP.

There are already hard ticket events that are offered for sale that have reduced the onsite EMH that guests were able to enjoy, and with SWGE I imagine there will be even more. Add the pay for play opportunity for FP during regular park hours and I bet that the average guest will be shut out of the E ticket attractions. I don't see that as harmless.

There are people that can't put in the effort or time others do into planning a Disney trip.
AND there are people who can't pay the amount of money others spend in a Disney trip.

Then there are those who won't.

I think changing FP+ to a paid system would drive people like me off-site. Why pay for a Disney resort if I can just save money there and either buy FPs or pay for those extra experiences / VIP tours?

Currently, I think it's a fair system. Gives everyone an equal chance to get FPs that's less conditioned by our pockets' depth than what OP suggests.

Now, if they were to implement a system like Universal's (unlimited passes - all day, almost all rides), a LOT of people would put their money in that FP instead of paying for expensive resorts or dining plans.

True, and even if that's the case, I would crunch numbers to see if it's better for my pocket to skip the FP altogether & just pay for the DAH/EMM events.
This is all just hypothetical, I haven't even been there yet. So I still don't know how addicted I'll end up :) but knowing me, I'm too rational.. and I'm a foreigner, so they don't pay me in USD and I can't travel across the world every month.

I agree with those who suggest that charging for FP may become a slippery slope and severely limit what we now get for "free". Sort of like what the EMM and DAH events have done to EMH. I have a trip this summer, last to WDW was 7 years ago, and the reduction in the regular park hours and EMH benefit is apparent! It costs a small fortune to bring a family to Disney now without any of the upcharges. Plus, these events are essentially allowing people to purchase FP while decreasing the available hours in the park for those who don't want to shell out extra $$. Adding a paid option would similarly decrease FP availability for those not shelling out more.

Meanwhile it works at Universal Studios, I know the crowds/capacity is different, Universal’s express pass always has been a paid service, hate to see Disney charge for what they have been giving for free since the beginning just for the sake of profits. Disney fastpass works, not only to the advantage of the public, but has help Disney to control the movement of the crowd, they have cleverly managed the times to spread the people, not the case at Universal, and that’s the reason why when Harry Potter first opened those rides had no express pass lines, because they knew that will only bring everyone to the same attraction at the same time. Disney will need to sell fast passes with block outs if they want to avoid having tons of people at the same attraction fast passing, is like the Incredibles, no one will be super anymore!

hate to see Disney charge for what they have been giving for free since the beginning just for the sake of profits
Everything they've done since the company went public has been for the sake of profits. The only question is what best fosters profits.

One thing that I think we need to realize is that there is no reason to think that anything is permanent. Though the marketplace may be driving changes such as paid-for FP+s, that doesn't mean that, ten or fifteen years after they institute such a change, they won't make a big splash advertising, "FP+s are now free!"

They already do.

See:
Early Morning Magic
Disney After Hours
Dining packages with attached FPs for shows
Private VIP tours

These are all essentially paid-for FP offerings disguised as packaged experiences that can be purchased by, as you say, the general public. And purchase them they do!

Honorable mention:
FP for buses = Minnie Vans
... and all of those up-charge events prove that people will be happy to pay extra for additional FPs. Which is sad because only the people able to pay an additional $200(ish) per day for a family of 4 ON TOP of their $275(ish) in park passes will be able to benefit from shorter lines.

To be honest that will be the straw that breaks the camel's back. DH and I are already upset by the EMM and Disney after dark, essentially paying for what once was a perk of staying on site.
If the do pay to play with FP we will be priced out and I really feel there are many like us who will feel the same way.
I'm sure when GE comes out there's going to be a lot of pay to play for at least the first year.

I'm sure there will be some who feel that way but the insane crowding at the parks makes it so clear that Disney has a long way to go before it hurts their business. I think the only reason why they're not raising prices and adding fees faster is because doing so would attract too much attention, so they're just going as slow as they can without risking it hitting the front page of the national mainstream media.

To the general public, not just club level guests. As long as they keep the prices high enough so that only a small percentage of the guests will buy them, it will make little impact on the fastpass system while generate income for Disney, and most importantly, it will enable people who want it to be able to buy it.

That would OFFICIALLY end our Disney vacations

We were discussing this in a thread a few months ago (https://www.disboards.com/threads/disneyland-paris-goes-full-universal.3714237/page-2) and I argued that a Disney all-day unlimited FP would cost in the range of $700-$1000 per person, per day, based upon the price of a private VIP tour (which I expect most people get for the unlimited fastpasses), and that there is no way Disney would subject itself to all of the "Disney is now only for the rich" outrage and headlines. The current system where they present FP+ as "free" (of course what that means in reality is "included in the ticket price") and make a fortune on "VIP tours" and things like EMM, suits them just fine.

But isn't that the same as saying that they already have all-day unlimited FP, but just call it "VIP tours"?

I cannot see the comparison. A VIP tour is not unlimited FP. Will you get preferential treatment? OF course, hence: tour.

IMO Unlimited FP is a pass that allows you, the purchaser to manage your day in a park on your own, and getting into a FP line of your own choosing on your own schedule.
VIP tour is that: a tour that is organized by a Plaid who determined your schedule based on your priorities, arranges any transportation you need traipsing from park to park, gets you into special areas for events whenever possible, and may be able to expedite your process onto attractions. Way more specialized IMO.

I cannot see the comparison. A VIP tour is not unlimited FP. Will you get preferential treatment? OF course, hence: tour.

IMO Unlimited FP is a pass that allows you, the purchaser to manage your day in a park on your own, and getting into a FP line of your own choosing on your own schedule.
VIP tour is that: a tour that is organized by a Plaid who determined your schedule based on your priorities, arranges any transportation you need traipsing from park to park, gets you into special areas for events whenever possible, and may be able to expedite your process onto attractions. Way more specialized IMO.

How about the Ultimate Nights of Adventure Tour? That is essentially the same as paying $250 for 1 single use FP each for Fop, Navi, Kili, Everest, Dinosaur and RoL. They do throw in a light meal, which is probably worth about $10, so you're effectively paying about $240 for those 7 FPs to use once each at the time dictated by the tour schedule, and plenty of people book this tour so lots of people clearly see this as a fair price. So if you imagine Disney sold a package where you get just those FPs to do anytime you like, this would cost probably a bit more. And if you imagine a package where you got one FP for every ride in AK, to do whenever you liked, we're probably up to $350 to $400 per person. Enhancing this to a Universal style unlimited all-day FP would probably bring us up to $500 or so per person, per day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!