I wonder how the Studios will handle the Toy Story and Star Wars queues

Sounds like you live the hakuna matata life

Everyone would just enjoy WDW so much more, and all the other guests by extension, if everyone's knickers were in 50% less of a twist, ya know?

The lines for SWL are going to be NUTS. You know why? Because SW is awesome and SWL is hopefully going to deliver on bringing that to life. Based on the Pandora work *I* am very optimistic.

Everyone would just enjoy WDW so much more, and all the other guests by extension, if everyone's knickers were in 50% less of a twist, ya know?

The lines for SWL are going to be NUTS. You know why? Because SW is awesome and SWL is hopefully going to deliver on bringing that to life. Based on the Pandora work *I* am very optimistic.

Everyone is different though - I love the planning aspect and that lets me be very calm during our time at WDW because I have a plan - and I really am calm when we are there and if things don't work out, oh well, things happen. If we spent time thinking "what do you want to do? I don't know, what do you want to do?" that is when I get stressed out and my knickers twist

Our last trip to Florida we had a few days with my wife's family that lives there and she was in charge of planning activities for those days - and basically planned nothing to do then. I've never been more stressed in my life :rotfl2:

Everyone is different though - I love the planning aspect and that lets me be very calm during our time at WDW because I have a plan - and I really am calm when we are there and if things don't work out, oh well, things happen. If we spent time thinking "what do you want to do? I don't know, what do you want to do?" that is when I get stressed out and my knickers twist

Our last trip to Florida we had a few days with my wife's family that lives there and she was in charge of planning activities for those days - and basically planned nothing to do then. I've never been more stressed in my life :rotfl2:

I'm a decisive person, I've never had that conversation. If someone asks me, I tell them. If they don't know, I'll figure it out after they tell they don't know/care the first time. I've bailed on trips others have planned when they start telling me the very exact plans. No thank you. Not worth the anxiety. Which is a great illustration of finding what works for you/your travel party. Of course, I'm considering going to the mountains tomorrow. I'll decide in the morning.

ETA: I still don't want to roll the dice with SWL. I'm legit concerned if I don't plan I might not get in.

I am also curious about the parking logistics with the new entrance. I presume they are going to be increasing the parking lot capacity, but not sure by how much.

I am also curious about the parking logistics with the new entrance. I presume they are going to be increasing the parking lot capacity, but not sure by how much.
If you look at the aerial images thread you can see where the parking lot expansions are happening. The new entrance will also bring in a new toll plaza. Once finished it will be larger but shouldn't be any different from the other parks in terms of logistics.

If you look at the aerial images thread you can see where the parking lot expansions are happening. The new entrance will also bring in a new toll plaza. Once finished it will be larger but shouldn't be any different from the other parks in terms of logistics.

Good images. Now, I wonder if the bus routing will remain the same or if that will go through the new toll plaza.

Buses are supposed to remain going their current way as that entrance will become bus only.

I like this move. It maximizes throughout at the toll plaza and, perhaps, can increase bus throughput as well. Last time I drove to HS, there were only 2 non-bus lanes of which I thought the right side (3rd lane) was reserved for buses. Maybe now they can open 2-3 lanes for buses and add more drop-off/pick-up locations.

I agree. WDW is going to be in for a huge shock with the crowds. By that I mean, they will be larger than anything before and it will eventually upset people to the point that the reputation of WDW will suffer. People will complain to CMs, to social media, to their friends. The lines will be so bad that I wouldn't even be surprised to see fights and incidents from people losing their temper toward others and CMs. I don't mean to seem hyperbolic (too late?) but I see this going very poorly...unless they hard-cap the number of people allowed in to the area per day and really coordinate the FPs. It might even be a good idea to do FP ONLY.

FWIW, people are already complaining about the crowded parks and huge wait times. A couple of weekends ago, my wife found a non-disney, non-disney-fan travel website. Neither of us can remember which site, but a lot of the reviews of WDW were scathing. Huge crowds, long lines, high wait times, i'll never come back, those kinds of comments.

IMHO, Disney has a problem on their hands.

FWIW, people are already complaining about the crowded parks and huge wait times. A couple of weekends ago, my wife found a non-disney, non-disney-fan travel website. Neither of us can remember which site, but a lot of the reviews of WDW were scathing. Huge crowds, long lines, high wait times, i'll never come back, those kinds of comments.

Feels like a Yogi Berra situation: "Nobody goes there anymore. It's too crowded." .... it is such an odd problem Disney has that despite increasing ticket prices and room prices and making cuts elsewhere, they are still more and more popular - and now there isn't much of a "slow" time any more as well.

I do think Star Wars: GE will be interesting as I suspect there will be a lot of people that have never been to WDW before and are really only coming for Star Wars and won't be used to the crowds and how early you can book ADRs and booking FPs etc - it's one thing for a WDW vet to do all this things, another for a rookie

I do think Star Wars: GE will be interesting as I suspect there will be a lot of people that have never been to WDW before and are really only coming for Star Wars and won't be used to the crowds and how early you can book ADRs and booking FPs etc - it's one thing for a WDW vet to do all this things, another for a rookie

But if you're thinking of those fans being the hardcore sci-fi types, they are VERY used to booking things in advance, for Dragoncon just as a for instance, you have to book a room a yearish in advance and they sell out the hotels in a number of minutes to an hour. People know that when the rooms open, you have to be online and ready to go. I even book that far in advance because you *have* to; I know I'm going to have to change my typical laissez-faire WDW planning if I want to see SWL. It sucks, but that's how much I want to see SWL. I think it's very likely they will only allow people with FP, or a reservation into the whole land as it'll quickly fill to capacity. Dragoncon is far more crowded than anything I've ever seen at WDW and FAR drunker. What I think will be interesting is that those types will show up in costume and won't have read that they can't. That could (really, I'm not being facetious) get ugly when they get turned away. I mean stormtroopers will go anywhere in their suits.

Feels like a Yogi Berra situation: "Nobody goes there anymore. It's too crowded." .... it is such an odd problem Disney has that despite increasing ticket prices and room prices and making cuts elsewhere, they are still more and more popular - and now there isn't much of a "slow" time any more as well.

This is a great point. People ask me all the time about planning a trip and I always tell them you don't NEED a travel agent, but if you haven't done a trip in the last 5 years or so, you should probably use a strong Disney travel agent. It doesn't cost you anything, but it might be really helpful and the small disadvantages are outweighed by the help you can get.

Plus... I use a travel agent that runs a group I belong to, so for me it's just an easy way to throw a few bucks her way for something I appreciate without it costing me anything. I don't need one, she laughs when I warn her a week ahead my 499 is coming up, and usually by the time she reminds me it's my 180 or 60 day mark, I've already made my reservations, but I can bounce ideas off her and don't feel bad taking up some of her time.

For people planning on SW:GE, I've already told them to contact a travel agent because if you've got a family, and I'm at that stage where all my friends have a couple sprogs running around, you are going to have to plan and be prepared well in advance if you want to do the things revolving around Star Wars.

I've seen these type of reviews. Reading them, alot sound like folks who decided to go on the worst possible days (Christmas, New Years, etc...) and are rightfully (you might be able to fit 100,000 people in MK, but not safely) complaining about how crowded it was and how little they got done because of how crowded it was. Some just don't realize that if they went in say August, they would have a lot better experience than trying to cram in with 99,999 other people on Christmas/New Years Eve.

But if you're thinking of those fans being the hardcore sci-fi types, they are VERY used to booking things in advance, for Dragoncon just as a for instance, you have to book a room a yearish in advance and they sell out the hotels in a number of minutes to an hour. People know that when the rooms open, you have to be online and ready to go. I even book that far in advance because you *have* to; I know I'm going to have to change my typical laissez-faire WDW planning if I want to see SWL. It sucks, but that's how much I want to see SWL. I think it's very likely they will only allow people with FP, or a reservation into the whole land as it'll quickly fill to capacity. Dragoncon is far more crowded than anything I've ever seen at WDW and FAR drunker. What I think will be interesting is that those types will show up in costume and won't have read that they can't. That could (really, I'm not being facetious) get ugly when they get turned away. I mean stormtroopers will go anywhere in their suits.

That's a fair point - though still think while they are used to lines and prlanning they still aren't used to WDW - AND (as you mention) WDW likely isn't ready for them!

The costume/ is playing issue will be really interesting to see how it plays out. I wonder if they will allow more costumes at any hard ticketed events, just adding to the interest in them

I've seen these type of reviews. Reading them, alot sound like folks who decided to go on the worst possible days (Christmas, New Years, etc...) and are rightfully (you might be able to fit 100,000 people in MK, but not safely) complaining about how crowded it was and how little they got done because of how crowded it was. Some just don't realize that if they went in say August, they would have a lot better experience than trying to cram in with 99,999 other people on Christmas/New Years Eve.

I also find a lot of those people didn't listen to advice on how much you need to plan - or at least adjust your expectations if you don't / aren't experienced

One family friend the husband didn't want to do any planing and was insistent that he could just slip the hostess a $20 and get into any restaurant whenever they wanted. Needless to say things didn't go as he thought they would and they had a negative experience because they could only get in to eat at places at like 9pm and their daughter's schedule got all messed up, etc

I'm actually wondering what the impact for much of 2019 will be - the expectation is that SWGE will open by the end of 2019 but we don't know exactly when, so, yeah, people will want to be there right when it opens but I wonder if more people are planning big trips for 2020 to ensure that it is open.

I hope this is the case and I will be able to get a trip in pre SWL.

As much as I desire to see the end product of Star Wars, and even Toy Story land....I don't think I have any desire to go in the first 12 months.

I just assume let the intrepid pioneers figure out the tips and tricks through trial an error, I'll then read about it here, and learn from others pain.

I think this will be my strategy too for visiting after the opening of SWL.

A decade of business travel at a moments notice (seriously all of a sudden you gotta run home and pack and head for the airport same day) makes travel no big deal in general. Also, im usually just traveling with someone else equally nonplussed about the small stuff, so it's easy. If things so sideways, just grab a few drinks until things are chill again.

This is a good strategy for everyone. Just chill a bit if things do not work at the moment - and be ready to be flexible. Being both a junior high teacher and a parent has taught me that one must be flexible in order to stay sane!

I agree with you, MaxRobo! I am more relaxed when I know that I have basic plans in place and some ADRs. I know that I can always change the plans I have made ahead of time (FP, ADRs, park days) but if I don't have anything in place at all then I may be left with really limited choices. AND I just hate it when people just stand around and say, what do you want to do, I don't know, what do you want. And then get upset when someone decides something and it is not to their liking. NO THANK YOU - That stress I can do without!

This is a great point. People ask me all the time about planning a trip and I always tell them you don't NEED a travel agent, but if you haven't done a trip in the last 5 years or so, you should probably use a strong Disney travel agent. It doesn't cost you anything, but it might be really helpful and the small disadvantages are outweighed by the help you can get.

Plus... I use a travel agent that runs a group I belong to, so for me it's just an easy way to throw a few bucks her way for something I appreciate without it costing me anything. I don't need one, she laughs when I warn her a week ahead my 499 is coming up, and usually by the time she reminds me it's my 180 or 60 day mark, I've already made my reservations, but I can bounce ideas off her and don't feel bad taking up some of her time.

For people planning on SW:GE, I've already told them to contact a travel agent because if you've got a family, and I'm at that stage where all my friends have a couple sprogs running around, you are going to have to plan and be prepared well in advance if you want to do the things revolving around Star Wars.

This is very sound advice. A great Disney travel agent will be a must for people that do not go often - it will really make their trips enjoyable and since there is no added cost - it is something people should take advantage of.

That's a fair point - though still think while they are used to lines and prlanning they still aren't used to WDW - AND (as you mention) WDW likely isn't ready for them!

I think the only thing that may be different is how physically big WDW is. Timing to get from resort to park to ride type of stuff.

These are the guys who camp out to see panels though, so lines and the pure crowd factors will be nothing. I don't think WDW realizes how hardcore these guys can be. I'm wondering if HS is going to allow people to literally camp out for a place in line to be the first ones in, like sleeping bags in front of the studios. I've already heard of people in the 501st speculating about it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter