I wonder how the Studios will handle the Toy Story and Star Wars queues

I think the only thing that may be different is how physically big WDW is. Timing to get from resort to park to ride type of stuff.

These are the guys who camp out to see panels though, so lines and the pure crowd factors will be nothing. I don't think WDW realizes how hardcore these guys can be. I'm wondering if HS is going to allow people to literally camp out for a place in line to be the first ones in, like sleeping bags in front of the studios. I've already heard of people in the 501st speculating about it.

That is an interesting point - definitely think they need to do something to prepare for opening day at least - whether it is an area to camp out or perhaps some sort of wristband system you get the day/week before or something

That is an interesting point - definitely think they need to do something to prepare for opening day at least - whether it is an area to camp out or perhaps some sort of wristband system you get the day/week before or something

It could truly be a cluster, which is why I'm going to plan...ugh, and do the CL extra fp thing.

I've seen these type of reviews. Reading them, alot sound like folks who decided to go on the worst possible days (Christmas, New Years, etc...) and are rightfully (you might be able to fit 100,000 people in MK, but not safely) complaining about how crowded it was and how little they got done because of how crowded it was. Some just don't realize that if they went in say August, they would have a lot better experience than trying to cram in with 99,999 other people on Christmas/New Years Eve.

That's a fair point - though still think while they are used to lines and prlanning they still aren't used to WDW - AND (as you mention) WDW likely isn't ready for them!

Keep in mind that a lot of folks who go to WDW aren't Disney fanatics or Disboards power users. They are people who want to go to Disney, and either get the tickets themselves and go through a travel agent. They may also be folks who haven't been to WDW in 20+ years and are wanting to take their kids or grandkids there. Or, they are folks who are used to their local Six Flags, or other theme park. They don't know the "best" times to go or anything like more experienced Disney vacationers do.

Before our first trip, I didn't know any of the things I know now. I hadn't been to a Disney park since the era of ticket books, and I wasn't aware of FPs, ADRs and stuff like that. Fortunately, my wife did the research and planning and we knew what to do.

From the reviews I read, or my wife read to me, those folks won't be going back. Maybe Disney doesn't doesn't care, but in my business world, its not the single customers you want, its the repeat business. Each of those negative reviews equals lost opportunities for future sales.

One family friend the husband didn't want to do any planing and was insistent that he could just slip the hostess a $20 and get into any restaurant whenever they wanted.

LMAO!

Am I the only one who thinks that Disney shouldn't be doing anything to promote "camping out?"

I'd rather them open up Star Wars Land with FP only. And you have to get your FP at least the day before.

That way, you have no camping, no rushing, not as much crowding, and clear expectations for the guests.

Keep in mind that a lot of folks who go to WDW aren't Disney fanatics or Disboards power users. They are people who want to go to Disney, and either get the tickets themselves and go through a travel agent. They may also be folks who haven't been to WDW in 20+ years and are wanting to take their kids or grandkids there. Or, they are folks who are used to their local Six Flags, or other theme park. They don't know the "best" times to go or anything like more experienced Disney vacationers do.

Before our first trip, I didn't know any of the things I know now. I hadn't been to a Disney park since the era of ticket books, and I wasn't aware of FPs, ADRs and stuff like that. Fortunately, my wife did the research and planning and we knew what to do.

From the reviews I read, or my wife read to me, those folks won't be going back. Maybe Disney doesn't doesn't care, but in my business world, its not the single customers you want, its the repeat business. Each of those negative reviews equals lost opportunities for future sales.

i don't disagree - but with the crowd levels so much higher than back in the day, how would you handle it? Get rid of all FP and just let people wait hours for every attraction? Go back to only same day reservations for dining and have that line be 5 hours long in the morning?

I'm not saying they shouldn't try to ensure every guest has a positive experience, I am just not sure what they can do. They created FP and adding the tiering so most guests could get on at least some of the rides they want to with smaller waits

There is no way Disney allows "camping out" for SW. It's private property, they can move people along, and what is the point? They want people in the hotels, not cluttering up the sidewalk and making the place look like tent city. I still think you aren't getting in without a FP or reservation or some kind of virtual line where you stand in line for 2 hours, but they tell you when to show up for your 2 hours, and when those slots are taken in the morning, it's closed for the day. And I'm willing to say this system will stick for 6 months to a year, at least. Will this make people happy? No. But there simply isn't a way around it. SW:GE, and all Disney "lands", aren't designed for the maximum number of guests that will show at the opening. It will have to be limited. People that don't understand and just try to show up are going to be disappointed.

I think Disney will handle the crowd just fine, so long as the definition of "handle the crowd" is to keep order and flow through the land. If your definition is to get everyone in who wants to get in without waiting in long lines or needing to plan ahead, then it's going to be a disappointment. But reality has to draw the line somewhere.

There is no way Disney allows "camping out" for SW. It's private property, they can move people along, and what is the point? They want people in the hotels, not cluttering up the sidewalk and making the place look like tent city. I still think you aren't getting in without a FP or reservation or some kind of virtual line where you stand in line for 2 hours, but they tell you when to show up for your 2 hours, and when those slots are taken in the morning, it's closed for the day. And I'm willing to say this system will stick for 6 months to a year, at least. Will this make people happy? No. But there simply isn't a way around it. SW:GE, and all Disney "lands", aren't designed for the maximum number of guests that will show at the opening. It will have to be limited. People that don't understand and just try to show up are going to be disappointed.

I think Disney will handle the crowd just fine, so long as the definition of "handle the crowd" is to keep order and flow through the land. If your definition is to get everyone in who wants to get in without waiting in long lines or needing to plan ahead, then it's going to be a disappointment. But reality has to draw the line somewhere.

I could definitely see something like that - but what about first thing in the morning? To ensure you get one of those return time passes before they run out at 9:30am? People are stilling getting to Animal Kingdom 1+ hour before park opening for Flight of Passage - when Star Wars first opens it is going to be much crasier

Maybe it will turn out to not be an issue but I am definitely curious to see how things go

I could definitely see something like that - but what about first thing in the morning? To ensure you get one of those return time passes before they run out at 9:30am? People are stilling getting to Animal Kingdom 1+ hour before park opening for Flight of Passage - when Star Wars first opens it is going to be much crasier

Maybe it will turn out to not be an issue but I am definitely curious to see how things go
Oh sure. I can see them letting people line up at 5 or 6 a.m. But there is no way they let them stay out there overnight or put up a tent or sleeping bag. I'm sure security will encourage them to move along until close to daybreak. Keep the toll plaza closed until 5 or 6, don't run the buses, make sure the parking lot clears the night before. That just leaves people walking over from the EPCOT resorts. Have someone near the closed gates asking them to move along until a specific time. If they don't like it, send them to Disney jail for a while. Then they won't get to be in line anyway.

It'd be great if it doesn't turn into craziness, but it will. For Pandora the first people were there between 4-5, right?

Just to clarify, I won't camp out for this, because let's admit it, I think a Holiday Inn is roughing and I don't own a sleeping bag...lol. There are definitely fans considering a plan of attack. I'm not quite that dedicated.

I think an on line Lottery would be the simplest way to control crowds for the opening week of SW:GE. I for one will really enjoy Animal Kingdom that week. All the FOP I can stand lol

I think an on line Lottery would be the simplest way to control crowds for the opening week of SW:GE. I for one will really enjoy Animal Kingdom that week. All the FOP I can stand lol

Will be interesting to see the impact SW:GE has on the other parks. Likely that opening week the crowds will congregate at DHS, but after that, will there be people that come down for SW:GE but then want to ride FoP while they are there? And thus it actually add to the crowds? (I assume that is what Disney is hoping, that rather than just shift people from other parks to DHS it increases the total number of people at WDW)

I for one will really enjoy Animal Kingdom that week. All the FOP I can stand lol

That's a pretty good plan, especially opening day.

WDW has never done a lottery to get in though and wouldn't want to because then people wouldn't show up. WDW will want this to be gang busters, if people go and DHS is at capacity those people will be heading to the other parks and WDW still wins.

I'm thinking it is the opposite. For Star Wars land, you may only get in if you have a FP or they cut the line off at a certain geographic point in the Park. It would not surprise me if you got a pass to the line. For example, when the line hits 120 minutes, the next 200 people get a pass to come back to the 120 minute line in 30 minutes. The next 200 people after that have a pass to come to the line in 60 minutes and so on. This way the line is 120 minutes without a FP but they still have people moving around the rest of the Park and SWL occupancy is somewhat controlled. Virtual line after a certain threshold is reached, like Volcano Bay, but not necessarily done digitally.

Interesting. The privilege to come back and wait only 2 hours... that might actually work. It means you won’t be spending 5 hours waiting in a line and doing nothing else. It also means you could ride it 2-4 times in a day without FP and still do other things in between.

Interesting. The privilege to come back and wait only 2 hours... that might actually work. It means you won’t be spending 5 hours waiting in a line and doing nothing else. It also means you could ride it 2-4 times in a day without FP and still do other things in between.
Nah. Not the way I envision it. If you don't have a FP you go to SW:GE. You get there and the line is 90 minutes so you get in line and wait. But if, instead, the line is over 120 minutes, you get a return time to come back to the 2 hour line. If you are early in the a.m., your return time might be 30 minutes away. If you are later, your return time might be 5 p.m. But either way, when you return, you are still going to wait 2 hours. This way there isn't a 5 hour line where no one is eating or spending money in gift shops, but you still don't have a FP since you are going to wait 2 hours at your return. If you get there too late, there won't be a possible return time available and you don't get to go in that day. I very much doubt anyone would get in more than once or twice. If you are front of the standby line and go through when the park opens there are still all those people lining up behind you. By the time you go through, for something as popular as SW:GE, I'm guessing return times are gone an hour or two, at most, after the Park opens.

Nah. Not the way I envision it. If you don't have a FP you go to SW:GE. You get there and the line is 90 minutes so you get in line and wait. But if, instead, the line is over 120 minutes, you get a return time to come back to the 2 hour line. If you are early in the a.m., your return time might be 30 minutes away. If you are later, your return time might be 5 p.m. But either way, when you return, you are still going to wait 2 hours. This way there isn't a 5 hour line where no one is eating or spending money in gift shops, but you still don't have a FP since you are going to wait 2 hours at your return. If you get there too late, there won't be a possible return time available and you don't get to go in that day. I very much doubt anyone would get in more than once or twice. If you are front of the standby line and go through when the park opens there are still all those people lining up behind you. By the time you go through, for something as popular as SW:GE, I'm fussing return times are gone an hour or two, at most, after the Park opens.

I think your way is the best way Disney could handle the SWGE crowds. I approve!

Nah. Not the way I envision it. If you don't have a FP you go to SW:GE. You get there and the line is 90 minutes so you get in line and wait. But if, instead, the line is over 120 minutes, you get a return time to come back to the 2 hour line. If you are early in the a.m., your return time might be 30 minutes away. If you are later, your return time might be 5 p.m. But either way, when you return, you are still going to wait 2 hours. This way there isn't a 5 hour line where no one is eating or spending money in gift shops, but you still don't have a FP since you are going to wait 2 hours at your return. If you get there too late, there won't be a possible return time available and you don't get to go in that day. I very much doubt anyone would get in more than once or twice. If you are front of the standby line and go through when the park opens there are still all those people lining up behind you. By the time you go through, for something as popular as SW:GE, I'm guessing return times are gone an hour or two, at most, after the Park opens.

I definitely like the idea in theory - so there would be FP to get into the land, and if you have one you get to cut the line (they did this for Pandora and if you had a FP for later they said to come back closer to your FP time), and then a return ticket to get into the standby line and once those tickets are gone, then, sorry, you can't get into the land that day. Definitely will lead to some angry people that didn't know or couldn't get there earlier, etc. but I think you will wind up with some angry people no matter what you do

Be cool if instead of like a set time you get a buzzer like at restaurants or you give them your mobile number and then they text you when the line is low enough for you to return or something . Either way, they need something to keep it from people just lining up for 5 hours, clogging all the pathways and, like you said, not spending money

(though even if they do keep it to a two hour line, they should have people come by selling things (food, water, beer, etc.) like they come through the stands at sporting events)

I definitely like the idea in theory - so there would be FP to get into the land, and if you have one you get to cut the line (they did this for Pandora and if you had a FP for later they said to come back closer to your FP time), and then a return ticket to get into the standby line and once those tickets are gone, then, sorry, you can't get into the land that day. Definitely will lead to some angry people that didn't know or couldn't get there earlier, etc. but I think you will wind up with some angry people no matter what you do

Be cool if instead of like a set time you get a buzzer like at restaurants or you give them your mobile number and then they text you when the line is low enough for you to return or something . Either way, they need something to keep it from people just lining up for 5 hours, clogging all the pathways and, like you said, not spending money

(though even if they do keep it to a two hour line, they should have people come by selling things (food, water, beer, etc.) like they come through the stands at sporting events)

I agree. I don't think you can avoid angering people since there simply isn't going to be enough capacity for everyone. At least this way it is a version of first come, first served. Kind of like the old paper FP tickets. When the machines were out, they were done for the day, except this is basically the only standby option. I think a digital notification would be fine, but I think there has to be some kind of expected window so that people can plan food and other rides and lines. It can't be like a restaurant where the buzzer goes off and you need to get to the hostess desk pronto. That doesn't work if you are halfway through a TSMM line.

But yeah, the whole point is to make it somewhat unattractive, so not everyone is willing to do it, while at the same time allowing people to move about the park and spend money if they are willing to wait in a god awful line. Whether that is a 2 hour line or a 3 hour line I don't know, and I suspect some of it would be determined by how long a line they can form. Obviously the longer the line you return to, the fewer people will do it, but letting the line bisect the Park creates its own problems.

Nah. Not the way I envision it. If you don't have a FP you go to SW:GE. You get there and the line is 90 minutes so you get in line and wait. But if, instead, the line is over 120 minutes, you get a return time to come back to the 2 hour line. If you are early in the a.m., your return time might be 30 minutes away. If you are later, your return time might be 5 p.m. But either way, when you return, you are still going to wait 2 hours. This way there isn't a 5 hour line where no one is eating or spending money in gift shops, but you still don't have a FP since you are going to wait 2 hours at your return. If you get there too late, there won't be a possible return time available and you don't get to go in that day. I very much doubt anyone would get in more than once or twice. If you are front of the standby line and go through when the park opens there are still all those people lining up behind you. By the time you go through, for something as popular as SW:GE, I'm guessing return times are gone an hour or two, at most, after the Park opens

I think your way is the best way Disney could handle the SWGE crowds. I approve!

They should honestly do ONLY FastPasses, something like this:

• Make 70% or so of the FP available in the normal way FP are distributed.
  • Reserve about 30% of the FP for distribution the day-of. This will eliminate the stand-by line entirely.
  • So, what you are left with is a situation where, if you walk in to the park without already having a FP, you can walk to the ride and, instead of getting in the stand-by line, get a FP. If all the FP are gone, then try again tomorrow.
I see this as a win/win because the guests spend less time in line, which guests like because they can do other things, and Disney likes because less time in line means more time to shop/eat/drink.

They should honestly do ONLY FastPasses, something like this:

• Make 70% or so of the FP available in the normal way FP are distributed.
  • Reserve about 30% of the FP for distribution the day-of. This will eliminate the stand-by line entirely.
  • So, what you are left with is a situation where, if you walk in to the park without already having a FP, you can walk to the ride and, instead of getting in the stand-by line, get a FP. If all the FP are gone, then try again tomorrow.
I see this as a win/win because the guests spend less time in line, which guests like because they can do other things, and Disney likes because less time in line means more time to shop/eat/drink.

Except I think the bum rush to get those 30% of FPs will be a disaster. Remember the old system where people used to storm the rope drop gates at MK to get Space Mountain or Splash? This would be 100x worse and you'd still have people trying to get in line the day before to try and make sure they got one the next morning. I think there has to be an inconvenience factor in the Park to dissuade some people. So I think there still needs to be a line you return to and have to give up part of your day to get in.

I agree. I don't think you can avoid angering people since there simply isn't going to be enough capacity for everyone. At least this way it is a version of first come, first served. Kind of like the old paper FP tickets. When the machines were out, they were done for the day, except this is basically the only standby option. I think a digital notification would be fine, but I think there has to be some kind of expected window so that people can plan food and other rides and lines. It can't be like a restaurant where the buzzer goes off and you need to get to the hostess desk pronto. That doesn't work if you are halfway through a TSMM line.

But yeah, the whole point is to make it somewhat unattractive, so not everyone is willing to do it, while at the same time allowing people to move about the park and spend money if they are willing to wait in a god awful line. Whether that is a 2 hour line or a 3 hour line I don't know, and I suspect some of it would be determined by how long a line they can form. Obviously the longer the line you return to, the fewer people will do it, but letting the line bisect the Park creates its own problems.

ugh, don't remind me of those old paper fastpass days - I been in the "running of the bulls" to get the paper fast passes for Toy Story Mania, just a disaster (running in a mob of people to get in line to hopefully get a piece of paper that says you can come back later to do an attractions. .... I still recall one man, in the middle of the mob shouting out "remember, this isn't a vacation, it's a trip to Disney!") .... and so i could see similar at park opening of people mobbing to get the return pass time .... but like we have both said, there likely isn't any perfect situation

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter