I4 or 528?

Glenn&Sharon

Mouseketeer
Planning our trip to the fort in May in our 32 foot MH. The last leg is from St Augustine to FW. Do you think I'd be better on I4 or taking 95 down to Titusville and coming across on 528?
TIA

Planning our trip to the fort in May in our 32 foot MH. The last leg is from St Augustine to FW. Do you think I'd be better on I4 or taking 95 down to Titusville and coming across on 528?
TIA

Can only speak from our experiences over the years, last trip being Dec. '17, but we have always taken I-4 even during most of the construction. We 'do' try hitting it between 9:00-10:30 AM on Tues. after morning rush hour.
We drive a 34' motorhome and dh doesn't find it that bad. Will always be traffic, but we are used to that and just take it in stride. Construction was much better this last trip than our trip end of April.

We also stay near St. Augustine the last night and leave between 7:30-8:00 AM for the remaining miles.

Watching as we will be travelling from Canada to The Fort in April and directions point us from I-95 to the I-4 after we leave Georgia. Is there a lot of ongoing construction on it right now?

When we raced at Daytona or came down for the Rolex and stayed at WDW before flying home, we would take I-4 to 417 and take the toll road around. I've been stuck too many times on I-4 trying to get from Orlando to Kissimmee.

j

When we raced at Daytona or came down for the Rolex and stayed at WDW before flying home, we would take I-4 to 417 and take the toll road around. I've been stuck too many times on I-4 trying to get from Orlando to Kissimmee.

j
Not sure what the toll road is like but the one here in the Greater Toronto area is privately owned and you cannot take a motorhome on it without paying to have a transponder and even then it's HUGE costs, plus we would be towing an SUV. Is the 417 like that?

417 has been nice with much less traffic than I-4. I've only had my camper on the Turnpike and 429, but they are the same system. I didn't have a pass. The upcharge for the camper was less than double the car rate, and it wasn't terrible. I don't have the link to the system and the pricing, but I'm sure someone will be on to post it anytime.

Also, 528 is a toll road too.

I found a link to the Florida Turnpike and Toll road system. HERE It says 417 has a toll plaza at Celebration exit.

j

Last edited:
I agree with J, Teamubr on this one. Take I-4 to exit 101-B to get on 417, then you can take 417 to World Center Drive. I would not go the 417 and get on the 528, 528 is under a lot of construction right now.

I found THIS toll calculator. I set it for 4 axles (2 car/truck, 2 trailer) and the toll for 417 starting at I-4 in Sanford to the last toll plaza is $6.39. Just a car is $2.13, so a bigger jump, but still not excessive.

528 from I-95 to I-4 is $7.57 for the 2 axle camper. $3.52 for just the car.

j

Sunday DH used 417 from World Drive (536) to end (Sanford). 2 axle cash pay was $7.50 - Sunpass may be less

We have used the 528 route before, and it was a nice flat toll road, about 7 or 8 dollars. This last trip back we took I4 and going in was not too bad, coming home, two accidents and nearly 4 hours later. Think our next trip will find us back on 528.

I kind of like that 528 is straight and doesn't go right thru Orlando. Don't really like going right by the airport, though.

We made the mistake of going I-4 once. Now it's 417 to the east side of Orlando, then to 528, then I-95. It will be a cold day in Key West before I run I-$ again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter