Icy Strait Point Recommendations

Kricketnp

DIS Veteran
Hi there - DH and I (both mid-30s) are going to Alaska on the Wonder in September and still weighing options for Icy Strait. Considering Coastal Exploration by Zodiac or Whale Watching. Would love to hear feedback!

Thanks!

are either unique to that port? what time of year are you going? Early May has less whales than say july for example.

In 2017 DH & I did the Spasski River Valley Wildlife & Bear excursion. It was wonderful. We had 2 Tlingit guides thru the rainforest to the viewing platforms overlooking the river. Saw 3 brown bears - one not far from the platform munching on wildflowers & 2 others along the river. The guides were excellent and well armed LOL! We've done DCL to Alaska five times (only once to Icy Strait) and this was one of the best excursions we did on any of the cruises.

Make it a sea day while docked. Worst port ever IMHO.

We had an amazing whale watching trip out of ICP. There were other people on our ship that did the wildlife adventure and were less than impressed with it.

We had an amazing whale watching trip out of ICP. There were other people on our ship that did the wildlife adventure and were less than impressed with it.

Thanks for the feedback. Which company did you use for whale watching?

Make it a sea day while docked. Worst port ever IMHO.

How come?

are either unique to that port? what time of year are you going? Early May has less whales than say july for example.

Going in September.

In 2017 DH & I did the Spasski River Valley Wildlife & Bear excursion. It was wonderful. We had 2 Tlingit guides thru the rainforest to the viewing platforms overlooking the river. Saw 3 brown bears - one not far from the platform munching on wildflowers & 2 others along the river. The guides were excellent and well armed LOL! We've done DCL to Alaska five times (only once to Icy Strait) and this was one of the best excursions we did on any of the cruises.

Thanks - will look into it!

How come?

Obviously manufactured for ships port (as in there is not a city/town that it is in - Hoonah is about 15-20 minutes away and is nothing to look at either). Fake. Boring.

Worst port ever? No way. We did whale watching a couple of years ago using Misty Bay Lodge which has small boat holding about 6 people. It was the best whale watching tour we have ever been on and we have done several from Juneau and Victoria. They also have combination bear tours. Whenever doing Alaska cruise I would pick Icy Strait for whale watching over any other port. Not much shopping there but that's not why we go to Alaska.

We were there in July and did a whale watching excursion with Glacier Wind Charters. We booked several months in advance - they have two (exceptionally clean & comfortable) boats and each boat holds six passengers. Because of the proximity of ISP to Point Adolphus, you are almost guaranteed to see whales ... the naturalist on the ship explained it to us and she was right. If you do whale watching, I’d recommend a smaller boat so you get the best views - we could have a good look at the whales no matter what side of the boat they popped up on b/c there were just 6 of us. We also saw a sea otter and a couple of sea lions on our trip. The scenery from the boat was spectacular and you get a great view of the Wonder as well. It was my 17 year olds favorite excursion of the trip ... we had a warm, calm day - perfect for a boat ride.

Worst port ever? No way. We did whale watching a couple of years ago using Misty Bay Lodge which has small boat holding about 6 people. It was the best whale watching tour we have ever been on and we have done several from Juneau and Victoria. They also have combination bear tours. Whenever doing Alaska cruise I would pick Icy Strait for whale watching over any other port. Not much shopping there but that's not why we go to Alaska.

You are entitled to your opinion and I am entitled to mine.

I had an AMAZING whale watching excursion in Juneau - small boat and saw lots of whales.

I don't do shopping (BORING). But I like towns. For me, a good port does not require you to do an excursion to do/see anything. ISP requires that unless you want the obviously manufactured walk through "museum" where nothing looks old you take an excursion.

We did whale watching with Glacier Winds 3 years ago. It was a great time and we saw plenty of whales and sea otters. Captain Shawn and his wife Theresa were very knowledgeable and hospitable. The boat holds 6 so you have a great 360 view. We booked privately with them and their communication was excellent. I highly recommend them!

I would recommend doing an excursion as there is really a ton to do there otherwise. There are some old restored cannery buildings that they have turned into a museum of sorts with shopping. It's kind of interesting if you take the time to read about the history of Hoonah, and the Hoonah Packing Company, etc. but nothing too exciting. There's a beach and a boardwalk along the water as well as a short trail you can walk through the forest. It's in a beautiful spot so it's nice place to just spend a bit of time off the ship wandering around.

The Adventure Park ropes course looked really cool, but we unfortuantely hadn't booked it in advance and they didn't have any times remaining that we could do.

Somebody must like going there as they are in the process of building a 2nd cruise ship dock.

Saw a whale while eating at the small restaurant on the bay. We saw many bald eagles. We were on a different cruise line and we went to a cultural show. We learned about the significance of ravens and eagles in Tlingit culture.

One nice gesture was the people provided a golf cart shuttle to the main area for those who needed it.

I bought my one significant souvenir for the trip in one of the gift shops. The folks who did the zip line seemed to be having lots of fun.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter