Icy Strait Whale Watching Not Through Disney

WaylaLady

Mouseketeer
Has anyone taken a whale watching tour in Icy Strait that was not booked through Disney? I was just thinking about whether or not I should book ahead and go this route due to only being Silver in Castaway Club. I'm afraid the least expensive DCL tour may not be available once my check-in day comes, and I can save a bit if I book on my own, too. I have found a few operators, but have no idea which one to pick, if any!

We booked a whale watching tour on our own, but not in Icy Strait. We have booked all of our own excursions and haven't had any issues and saved money. Check trip advisor for reviews, they were helpful.

We booked our Icy Strait Point tour through the cruise line when we cruised Alaska with another line in 2016. We did hop off the ship and book a whale watching tour in Juneau, though, and that was one of the highlights of the cruise. We looked at those prices prior to cruising and we did get a discount booking that day on the dock (along with bus to and from Mendenhall Glacier), so it was worthwhile. There are a lot of ships and a lot of tour boat operators in Juneau, so I'm sure you could probably get a tour when you get in port there. I wouldn't bet on it in Icy Strait Point, as that port is a lot more limited.

Icy Strait Point is a very tiny port, purrpose-built for cruise lines, with only one ship per day (I heard they were going to expand to 2, but I don't know if that's happened since we sailed in 2016). I don't know if the tour operators have additional seats for sold out tours, simply because there's no one else to sell them to other than those coming on the DCL ship that day, so it may make sense to them to offer all of their slots through Disney. I do know when we visited on another line, there were plenty of people getting off the ship and appearing to book additional tours in the tour center - but I have no idea if availability was over and beyond what was available through the cruise line, or if they were simply selling through the tours that weren't sold out. I also don't know if there's any price differential vs. cruise line pricing.

We booked our own while in Ice Strate last summer with RCCL. There are plenty of options and we saved money based off what RCCL was charging.

We booked on our own in Icy Straight Point. It was cheaper and we booked way in advance.

We booked our Icy Strait Point tour through the cruise line when we cruised Alaska with another line in 2016. We did hop off the ship and book a whale watching tour in Juneau, though, and that was one of the highlights of the cruise. We looked at those prices prior to cruising and we did get a discount booking that day on the dock (along with bus to and from Mendenhall Glacier), so it was worthwhile. There are a lot of ships and a lot of tour boat operators in Juneau, so I'm sure you could probably get a tour when you get in port there. I wouldn't bet on it in Icy Strait Point, as that port is a lot more limited.

Icy Strait Point is a very tiny port, purrpose-built for cruise lines, with only one ship per day (I heard they were going to expand to 2, but I don't know if that's happened since we sailed in 2016). I don't know if the tour operators have additional seats for sold out tours, simply because there's no one else to sell them to other than those coming on the DCL ship that day, so it may make sense to them to offer all of their slots through Disney. I do know when we visited on another line, there were plenty of people getting off the ship and appearing to book additional tours in the tour center - but I have no idea if availability was over and beyond what was available through the cruise line, or if they were simply selling through the tours that weren't sold out. I also don't know if there's any price differential vs. cruise line pricing.

Thanks. I was going to do my whale watching in Juneau but the itinerary we ended up with only has a half day there, so we're going to book the tour out of Icy Strait Point. If, for any reason, the tour gets cancelled in Icy Strait, we still have that half day to try to get a walk up in Juneau. I just don't want to have to get up early enough to get off the ship at 6:45am!! The Juneau hours are terrible on this inerary, lol.

We've been to Alaska, just not to Icy Strait, so I was curious what others had done there. I think I'll probably book outside of Disney just to save the money, but definitely not wait until we get there!

We used Icy Strait Whale Adventures and had captain Duane. Highly recommend and it was a smaller boat so not super crowded like when we went whale watching in Sydney. I'm not sure about posting links but just add ".com" to there name and you'll be good to go.

We did whale watching in Icy Straight in 2016. I booked privately with Glacier Wind (Shawn & Teresa) and I highly recommend them! It is a private more personal tour, only 6 people max on the boat. (At the time we paid about $160 p/p). They picked us up at the port and took us to the boat. We were given a great tour and information (and snacks!) and saw plenty of whales and otters. Our captain definitely knew his stuff!! Their communication with me throughout the process was excellent, even emailing me before the cruise line let us know that our port time had changed and they were altering the time of our tour to accommodate the change. At the end of our tour, we were given a tour of the town (very small!!!) I would book with them again in a minute.

Last edited:
We did whale watching in Icy Straight in 2016. I booked privately with Glacier Wind (Shawn & Teresa) and I highly recommend them! It is a private more personal tour, only 6 people max on the boat. (At the time we paid about $160 p/p). They picked us up at the port and took us to the boat. We were given a great tour and information (and snacks!) and saw plenty of whales and otters. Our captain definitely knew his stuff!! Their communication with me throughout the process was excellent, even emailing me before the cruise line let us know that our port time had changed and they were altering the time of our tour to accommodate the change. At the end of our tour, we were given a tour of the (very small!!!) I would book with them again in a minute.

Thank you so much! That's great to hear. I'll definitely look into them!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter