Idea to improve DAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmwade77

DIS Veteran
I had made a passing comment on the official thread. SueMN suggested that if we wanted further discussion on it, that it should posted on a new thread. I wasn't planning on doing so, but I have had some people contact me and ask me to do so.

Here is my thought:
Eliminate return times
Instead what would happen is you would present your DAS to the first CM you see at each attraction. They would write the date, atttraction name, arrival time, current wait time and the next valid time. The next valid time would be the current time plus the current wait time. You would then proceed to go on that ride. After that ride, you would need to wait for the next valid time to go on another ride with the pass.

For example, at noon I go to Space Mountain, it is the first ride I am doing that day. There is a 60 minute wait. They would write that I arrived at noon and the next valid time will be at 1.

By the time I am off it is 12:30, so I need to chill for 30 minutes, then ride say Buzz with a wait of 30 minutes. The next ride would be available at 1:30. this would continue on throughout the day. You still wait your fair turn, but this system accounts for the waiting you do at each attraction, eliminates the need for backtracking, by the nature of how the queues work would space out those who need assistance and at Disneyland eliminate the need for kiosks, providing for substantial labor cost savings. I would think it would also help with the issues we are hearing about with those with Autism and the like.

Now one thing that would be needed with this system is for everyone, including mobility only issues that are addressed with a wheelchair or ECV to have a DAS in order to keep the system fair for all.

This is the basic system that has been in user at Universal Studios Hollywood for a while now and last time I wad there sea world San Diego had switched to it as well. USH actually scans passes instead of writing on them, but the principle ins the same.

Yes, one could creatively use FP to reduce wait times, but one can do the same with the return times now.

The point of this is if you think this system would work better to please write Disney and let them know. Based on my experiences with the other parks and the return times, I think the system I describe here works better. You still are waiting, you just ate waiting after the ride. Yes, that means you may wait less for the first attraction, but you most likely spent a decent amount of time getting the DAS, which means it most likely evens out. At least that's the theory the other parks use.

I had made a passing comment on the official thread. SueMN suggested that if we wanted further discussion on it, that it should posted on a new thread. I wasn't planning on doing so, but I have had some people contact me and ask me to do so.

Here is my thought:
Eliminate return times
Instead what would happen is you would present your DAS to the first CM you see at each attraction. They would write the date, atttraction name, arrival time, current wait time and the next valid time. The next valid time would be the current time plus the current wait time. You would then proceed to go on that ride. After that ride, you would need to wait for the next valid time to go on another ride with the pass.

For example, at noon I go to Space Mountain, it is the first ride I am doing that day. There is a 60 minute wait. They would write that I arrived at noon and the next valid time will be at 1.

By the time I am off it is 12:30, so I need to chill for 30 minutes, then ride say Buzz with a wait of 30 minutes. The next ride would be available at 1:30. this would continue on throughout the day. You still wait your fair turn, but this system accounts for the waiting you do at each attraction, eliminates the need for backtracking, by the nature of how the queues work would space out those who need assistance and at Disneyland eliminate the need for kiosks, providing for substantial labor cost savings. I would think it would also help with the issues we are hearing about with those with Autism and the like.

Now one thing that would be needed with this system is for everyone, including mobility only issues that are addressed with a wheelchair or ECV to have a DAS in order to keep the system fair for all.

This is the basic system that has been in user at Universal Studios Hollywood for a while now and last time I wad there sea world San Diego had switched to it as well. USH actually scans passes instead of writing on them, but the principle ins the same.

Yes, one could creatively use FP to reduce wait times, but one can do the same with the return times now.

The point of this is if you think this system would work better to please write Disney and let them know. Based on my experiences with the other parks and the return times, I think the system I describe here works better. You still are waiting, you just ate waiting after the ride. Yes, that means you may wait less for the first attraction, but you most likely spent a decent amount of time getting the DAS, which means it most likely evens out. At least that's the theory the other parks use.

Interesting idea! Sounds like it would work for me!

Here is my thought:
Eliminate return times

Good idea to start another thread but if universal Orlando and sea world in Orlando dose the same thing who should Disney try to compete with. Ones in Orlando get more visitor per year so I have to say to with them.

I like your plan but what happens if you change your mind would you start over again. Or would it be just to Jamie to that attraction even if that one has a longer stand by time.

Or if you pick the ride you now will have the shortest wait to on bag then be able to go on the other quicker. Would you have let's say pick the one with the longer stand by time.

I also think they should Taylor it to each coast stuff that might work in wdw might not work in dl.

I think in wdw once they roll out fast pass plus and then focus on putting RFID in the das. And start using computer kiosk it save money and might help. Because know they could put them more places without needing that many cms and have some central locations for more help.

Then they can have a handled devices so just in case the ride breaks they can switch you to another ride instead making you wait again.

Here is my thought:
Eliminate return times

I'm confused. I don't know how to pull out individual quotes...sorry. You say in the Space Mountain example that you arrive at noon, there is a 60 minute wait, and the valid return time would be 1:00. Then you say you are done riding at 12:30. How is that possible? You would not be allowed into the non-standby line before 1:00 in the example. Maybe I am missing something?

I guess I'm confused as to how this works. Guests using this would have a great advantage versus regular guests. Nobody can be riding a ride and standing in line at the same time. First, you get on Splash with no wait, then you only have a 30 min,. wait until your next ride (which would be Pooh). By the time you get over to Pooh, your 30 min. are up and you haven't waited at all. Might sound nice for people who have a DAS and can't wait in line, but is very much like the unlimited fastpass that was the old GAC. At least with the way things work now with the DAS, everyone waits, just not in the same place.

I just want to say that I think this is a great idea. How can we suggest this to the people that are involved in creating the DAS policy?

curemyreed said:
I'm confused. I don't know how to pull out individual quotes...sorry. You say in the Space Mountain example that you arrive at noon, there is a 60 minute wait, and the valid return time would be 1:00. Then you say you are done riding at 12:30. How is that possible? You would not be allowed into the non-standby line before 1:00 in the example. Maybe I am missing something?

No, there is no return time with my system. You go straight on the first ride, then wait the length of that line before going on the second. Then you wait the length of the second line before going on the third. This continues on until the end of the day.

I guess I'm confused as to how this works. Guests using this would have a great advantage versus regular guests. Nobody can be riding a ride and standing in line at the same time. First, you get on Splash with no wait, then you only have a 30 min,. wait until your next ride (which would be Pooh). By the time you get over to Pooh, your 30 min. are up and you haven't waited at all. Might sound nice for people who have a DAS and can't wait in line, but is very much like the unlimited fastpass that was the old GAC. At least with the way things work now with the DAS, everyone waits, just not in the same place.

:confused3 People do it all the time. If I have a fastpass for Space Mountain to ride at 2pm and I am on the Peoplemover at 1:30 I am "waiting in line" just not in the same place.

OP I'm not sure how this is fair to all.
You and I arrive at Space Mountain at 12noon with a 60 min standby. You get right on, I get in line. Your next available time to ride is, what? 1pm by your example? So at 1 pm you are getting on Pooh, which has a 60 min wait, I am getting on Space Mountain. You had a leisurely walk to Pooh and an ice cream cone, I stood in line. At 115, you exit Pooh, I exit Space Mountain. You head to lunch, I head to Pooh for another 60 min wait, arriving at Pooh at 125, I will ride at 225. By 240, you will be off your third attraction as your new wait time would have blocked you out until 215. Follow what I am trying to say?
DAS was meant to even the wait times, not just be a GAC of a different name.

Chickenlady said:

No, you misunderstood the example. The wait time is still an hour, it is just broken up into two. Remember space is about a 3 minute ride. In this example you will have waited 27 minutes (yes, Disney could add in the length of the ride to make it as absolutely close to equal as possible, but no real need fir this short of a ride) and then 30 minutes after getting off.

Under the current system, you have to wait an hour before returning, then wait another 27 minutes in my example, meaning you waited about 1.5 hours for what everyone else waits 1 hour for.

DisneyNutMary said:
OP I'm not sure how this is fair to all.
You and I arrive at Space Mountain at 12noon with a 60 min standby. You get right on, I get in line. Your next available time to ride is, what? 1pm by your example? So at 1 pm you are getting on Pooh, which has a 60 min wait, I am getting on Space Mountain. You had a leisurely walk to Pooh and an ice cream cone, I stood in line. At 115, you exit Pooh, I exit Space Mountain. You head to lunch, I head to Pooh for another 60 min wait, arriving at Pooh at 125, I will ride at 225. By 240, you will be off your third attraction as your new wait time would have blocked you out until 215. Follow what I am trying to say?
DAS was meant to even the wait times, not just be a GAC of a different name.

See my example above, how is it equal that I currently wait 1.5 hours for what you wait 1 hour for?

In addition how is it equal that I have to walk an average of 1.5 times more than a guest who doesn't need assistance?

Additionally, the current system allows the same leisurely strolls that you refer to, the difference is I am walking further and waiting longer than others under the current system and the wait is currently before the ride instead of split between before and after. I think maybe that would have been the better way to explain it than saying the wait was entirely after, as that was not quite accurate. It would be a split wait.

See my example above, how is it equal that I currently wait 1.5 hours for what you wait 1 hour for?

In addition how is it equal that I have to walk an average of 1.5 times more than a guest who doesn't need assistance?

Additionally, the current system allows the same leisurely strolls that you refer to, the difference is I am walking further and waiting longer than others under the current system and the wait is currently before the ride instead of split between before and after. I think maybe that would have been the better way to explain it than saying the wait was entirely after, as that was not quite accurate. It would be a split wait.

If they were to switch to your system, your wait time should start when you exit the first ride not when you enter it. Then you would be waiting the same amount of time.

See my example above, how is it equal that I currently wait 1.5 hours for what you wait 1 hour for? In addition how is it equal that I have to walk an average of 1.5 times more than a guest who doesn't need assistance? Additionally, the current system allows the same leisurely strolls that you refer to, the difference is I am walking further and waiting longer than others under the current system and the wait is currently before the ride instead of split between before and after.

Are we talking about WDW or DL? I really have only followed the DAS for WDW, as that is where my family travels to. I haven't experienced DAS yet, but isn't it the case that the CM at the attraction assigns the return time? If so, we both walked the same distance to the attraction? If my wait in standby is 60 mins, I ride at 1pm, aren't you getting a return time of 1250? Or have I miss read? I don't think I have ever waited 30 mins on any FP return line, so how do you come up with and hour and a half wait for you?
Other posters have also expressed disbelief of your estimation of a 30 min wait if you are let right in, so I know it's not just me who has never waited 30 min in a FP return line.
I'm sorry OP, I'm just not seeing your logic on the fairness if your method.

I also commented on the other thread about this system,
This is the system that has been used with great success in the UK!!
Ill use Legoland UK as an example, the system was brought out so that people with disabilities could not get on all the headliners with NO wait as its of course unfair!
In the UK we have to provide proof to get the accommodation yet we still wait,

It works perfectly for disabilities like autism as the person with no understanding is able to ride while still waiting there turn but without realising it, this greatly helps out the careers!!

I know some will think its unfair as while your waiting in line where able to walk to the next ride using up our Q waiting time, but is that really so different to being able to go ride something with a lower wait time or getting an ice-cream then walking back to the original ride? No it's not.

Universal use it too and it works.
I for one will be in disney for 15 nights next wk and I'm dreading the new system as I know what's going to happen, unfortunately it will take a while for disney to realise this new system Wont work for all,
I will give but a good crack, but I will also be yew to let them know if it does not work, as going back and forth to the same ride is sure to cause major melt down, yes I could get a runner but sometimes its just my son and I doing the rides he likes while dh takes the twins to do their stuff! So its not going to work then.

Are we talking about WDW or DL? I really have only followed the DAS for WDW, as that is where my family travels to. I haven't experienced DAS yet, but isn't it the case that the CM at the attraction assigns the return time? If so, we both walked the same distance to the attraction? If my wait in standby is 60 mins, I ride at 1pm, aren't you getting a return time of 1250? Or have I miss read? I don't think I have ever waited 30 mins on any FP return line, so how do you come up with and hour and a half wait for you?
Other posters have also expressed disbelief of your estimation of a 30 min wait if you are let right in, so I know it's not just me who has never waited 30 min in a FP return line.
I'm sorry OP, I'm just not seeing your logic on the fairness if your method.

People with the DAS have to go to the ride get a time, then walk away do something else then walk back to the same ride!
That's a lot of back and fourth that people without a DAS need don't do,

Also the wait time in the summer can easily be 20 mins in FP line.
And right now waits have been longer then normal as they have DAS return times plus MB FP+ and normal FP.

This system does work because loads of parks use it.

If they were to switch to your system, your wait time should start when you exit the first ride not when you enter it. Then you would be waiting the same amount of time.

In the UK the time is written on the card as you go to get on the ride, so you only gain the ride time over others. Not as you enter the actual line to wait for the ride.

People with the DAS have to go to the ride get a time, then walk away do something else then walk back to the same ride!
That's a lot of back and fourth that people without a DAS need don't do,

Also the wait time in the summer can easily be 20 mins in FP line.
And right now waits have been longer then normal as they have DAS return times plus MB FP+ and normal FP.

This system does work because loads of parks use it.

That how it works to get a fast pass

You walk to a attraction to get fast pass then have to do something else then walk back to the attraction. So how that different with fast pass you have to wait before your next one the das you get more return times. Now with fast pass plus at wdw you only get three choices and that it.

Make FPP available to all guests and phase out FP. Choose your first attraction as FPP prior to entering park. Use GAC obtained prior to first ride for second attraction and so on for six attractions. You get twice the number that the average guest gets. You can explain to the person who doesn't understand waiting that "we ride ToT first then can ride RnRC in 50 minutes. Still isn't fair to the typical guest but not an unlimited fast pass either.

At Cedar Point, a large amusement park in Sandusky, Ohio they gave us a pass that worked like a GAC for "front of the line" on each attraction in the park once. If we wanted to ride an attraction more than once we had to wait the standard wait. It was fair and worked well for our family (10yo w Aspergers and 8 yo w Mitochondrial Disease, multiple medical issues, in a wheel chair and w autism).

Playing under the rules of the new system I think it would be helpful if you could get 2 return times at once.

Disney needs to make the DAS LOS for all guests and possibly monthly for residents. All disabilities need to be addressed but we need to be very clear what will help such as "I need to be no further back than the third row or I can't see" or "I need to be included in the show that has the ASL interpreter so I can follow the story". We also need to get over our shyness about stating our needs. You can't be helped if GS doesn't understand your need.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!