Ideas for a cancer fighting gift..

scrappinmom

WDW, DL & DLP - up next ???
Hi everyone - I don't post often on this board, but I'm hoping you all might have some ideas for me. I have a good friend in Arizona (I'm in Illinois) who was just diagnosed with Stage 3 colon cancer. She & her hubby are fighting this with all they've got. There are many people helping with her boys, meals, etc. Disney makes her heart happy, she is as big of a disney geek as all of us. I want to send something to her - just to bring a smile to her beautiful face. Do you have any ideas? I thought of just going to DisneyStore.com and picking out a bunch of things & sending them....but maybe someone has done something like this before? Thank you so much

I suggest sweats or a blanket/throw. As DH went through chemo, he was always cold. He lived in sweats. Toward the end an electric blanket allowed him to be comfortable out of bed which had two thick blankets and a down comforter in the middle of summer with no AC in the house.

a housecleanign service - when DH was doign chemo, the LAST thing I wanted to do when I got hoem from the hospital was clean the house.

His military unit paid for 3 months of a cleaning service and it was the best three months - after the three months, I was able to get back into a routine of cleaning myself and form a new routine

First off I'd like to offer some positive hope for your friend. My brother was diagnosed with stage 3 colon cancer in June 2015. He went through 6 months of chemo and radiation and a few more rounds of chemo in January 2016 when cancer was found in his liver (70% of colon cancer survivors will have cancer appear in their liver at some point). Not meant to scare you but just an fyi. He's doing great now and living life to the fullest. It's amazing what treatment can do now.

I can tell you that he was chilled a lot. I got him a set of 32 degrees long underwear that he loved. They're thin and silky. Our Costco sells them.

He also suffered from very dry skin from chemo. Argan oil really helped. It's pricey though so that could make a nice gift.

Food was definitely an issue as he didn't have much of an appetite and had an aversion to sweets. He also had to avoid cold things because of the chemo. Maybe some favorite enticing snacks.

Best of luck to your friend.

If you want to stay with a Disney theme, how about a throw blanket with characters on it? My DD has a beautiful, warm, light blue lap throw with Pooh embroidered in the corner. We also have a knitted afghan (from a thin cotton yarn, almost like string) with Pooh guys on it. Fuzzy warm Disney sweats/sleep pants? Disney character pillow cases? Meal cards, gas cards, if she has a kindle or nook get amazon or barnes and noble cards so she can buy books. Does she do puzzles? Sometimes when people are really ill, they cannot focus enough to read but can do things like jigsaw puzzles, coloring books, etc.; something that will pass the time but doesn't take a lot of focus/concentration.

My sister had stage 3 colorectal cancer when she was only 31. She had surgery, chemo, and radiation. They got it all, and 20 years later her oncologist dismissed her from his care. Here's hoping for the same results for your friend.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!