Ideas for a Masters Degree gift?

alohamom

DIS Veteran
My DD is formally graduating on Nov 21st from U of T with her Masters degree!
I am over the moon proud but I am totally stuck for a gift.
I do not want to give her cash. We paid for her undergrad and have helped her out financially so I don't want to do that.
She plans to do her PhD in the states because the best schools for the niche area of her discipline are there (Linguistics) and she feels she has done all she can at U of T.
She was saying she would like to buy herself a Nintendo Switch for something to do in her down time (she uses her brothers right now) so my hubby was thinking we could surprise her with one. That plus a game will be close to if not more than $500 which feels like the appropriate amount to spend.
I am not sure it is the right thing to give her. I feel like we should give her something she can have forever. I am circling around jewellery but she is pretty darn fussy and would hate to buy her something she wont wear.
I would like to giver her something unique that she could cherish.
She has a cross pen set and we bought her a small diamond for her b-day.
Any thoughts?
I know my fellow Canadian Dis'ers are a creative bunch and might just help me pull a rabbit out of a hat on this one.

Switch would be fun. It's on Airmiles if you have enough for it. And would be something she can have with her in the US. Jewelry, I don't care for but a lot of people do like it. A laptop or something like that if she needs one?

When I graduated from law school in the 90’s, my parents purchased me a very nice watch with an inscription on the back commentating the achievement.

I rarely wear a traditional watch anymore, but when I do, that’s the one I’m likely to put on.

At least for me, a Switch seems too ‘disposable’...

What about a nice necklace, ring or earrings from Tiffany? They usually allow returns and exchanges so she can always switch it for something she likes if she doesn’t like what you pick.

we paid for our daughters undergrad too. She told me months before grad what she wanted, a Universal trip with me. Making memories. Our daughter plays vid games in her down time. It’s a way of de stressing for her. She has a full time job plus she runs a drop in youth group 2 nights a week. So if that’s what she’s asking for, I’d get it.

I have three holes in my ears for earings (2 in one, one in the other). I have three studs. 1 and emerald for my birth month, 1 saphire for when I graduated University and a diamond for when I got my Accounting designation. I wear them everyday and only switch out to other earings for special occasions.

You could have a special stud(s) made for her to commemorate her milestone accomplishment.

My DD is formally graduating on Nov 21st from U of T with her Masters degree!
I am over the moon proud but I am totally stuck for a gift.
I do not want to give her cash. We paid for her undergrad and have helped her out financially so I don't want to do that.
She plans to do her PhD in the states because the best schools for the niche area of her discipline are there (Linguistics) and she feels she has done all she can at U of T.
She was saying she would like to buy herself a Nintendo Switch for something to do in her down time (she uses her brothers right now) so my hubby was thinking we could surprise her with one. That plus a game will be close to if not more than $500 which feels like the appropriate amount to spend.
I am not sure it is the right thing to give her. I feel like we should give her something she can have forever. I am circling around jewellery but she is pretty darn fussy and would hate to buy her something she wont wear.
I would like to giver her something unique that she could cherish.
She has a cross pen set and we bought her a small diamond for her b-day.
Any thoughts?
I know my fellow Canadian Dis'ers are a creative bunch and might just help me pull a rabbit out of a hat on this one.
Congratulations. Ours graduated from law school not long ago. Bought the robes for court, trip to Scotland. $5000 Canadian and a watch that my wife paid $7000 for. It was all well deserved we thought.

Congratulations. Ours graduated from law school not long ago. Bought the robes for court, trip to Scotland. $5000 Canadian and a watch that my wife paid $7000 for. It was all well deserved we thought.

Congratulations to you too. Robes for court are a fantastic gift idea for a law school grad!

I would have loved to have treated her to a trip for her somewhere but obviously that won't be happening now. She is applying for her PhD now so I think that if she manages to graduate with her doctorate we will do that then.

My parents purchased robes for me as well. Unfortunately for them, I ended up as a solicitor (office work) and not a barrister (a courtroom lawyer), so I've worn them four times in 22 years. I guess I could use them as a Halloween costume if I bought one of those big white wigs they wear in England...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter