Ideas for places to go with kids

Bibbidi_Boo

DIS Veteran
We are going to Disneyland end of July (Sat-wed/thursday) then I think I would like to do something else in California just not sure what. 2 adults 3 kids (6, 8 and 11). DH and I have been to San Francisco, San Diego , Huntington beach back before kids. I don't want to do more theme parks. Any good suggestions?

We will need a hotel for last portion so up for traveling to new location.

Last edited:
THe museums at Exposition Park in LA near USC are amazing, and the space shuttle is receiving a new museum there. Near the WIlshire District is the Peterson Automotive Museum and the La Brea tar pits-full of fossils!

My kids are the same age. When we did our trip in the fall they enjoyed Griffith Observatory and the beach (Corona Del Mar).

Since you are willing to travel I suggest a national park. We always plan on a visit to one when going to DL. Joshua Tree, I believe, may be the closest.

While Joshua Tree is gorgeous I wouldn’t recommend it in July with kids that age. It could well be 110+ in the shade.

Drive up the coast to Santa Barbara?

If you want to stay close, the Hyatt Regency in Huntington is great for kids.

I’ve always wanted to go to Catalina Island. Seems like it would be fun for the kids there too.

How many nights do you have? What do yo and the kids like doing?
LA has hundreds of things to do, many are family friendly. Likewise San Diego. Santa Barbara was another good suggestion. Yosemite NP (if you have the time and can find accommodation) is incredible, Lone Pine, Mammoth Lakes and June Lake along Hwy 395. Sequoia Kings Canyon NP, Big Sur, the Monterey Peninsula, the list goes on.
I to would stay out of the desert in July and that includes Vegas if by chance you were thinking of it.

How many nights do you have? What do yo and the kids like doing?
LA has hundreds of things to do, many are family friendly. Likewise San Diego. Santa Barbara was another good suggestion. Yosemite NP (if you have the time and can find accommodation) is incredible, Lone Pine, Mammoth Lakes and June Lake along Hwy 395. Sequoia Kings Canyon NP, Big Sur, the Monterey Peninsula, the list goes on.
I to would stay out of the desert in July and that includes Vegas if by chance you were thinking of it.

We would have 2 or 3 nights, just depends on where I guess. Yeah staying out of desert is a good plan and no plans for Vegas..lol. I will have to look up all those things. I did think about Yosemite and got way overwhelemend and think that will be better for another trip. Sequoia is on my list.

We have thought about San Diego Zoo also, we have been before kids but they have never gone.

If you're in Anaheim, the San Diego Safari Park (sister to SD Zoo) is probably a little closer and a completely different experience from the Zoo..... Would highly recommend it. Our kids love it there. As previous poster mentioned, be careful of the weather in the desert areas in mid-summer - and the Safari Park is a place that can get hot.

I lived in SD for 8 years and so much to do with kids. The Wild Animal Park and Zoo are both great and really pretty different. Balboa Park has great museums—my kids loved the Natural History Museum. I don’t know if they still have a Tortilla Lady who grinds the corn and cooks tortillas right there. Tide pools and lighthouse on Point Loma. La Jolla Cove is gorgeous and also has tidepools. Great Mexican restaurants in Old Town.

Sequoia is also great but a longer drive away. Good for hikes. I remember seeing a black bear on a hike and remembering I had a candy bar in my purse. I was ready to throw it at him if he got at all close.

With 2-3 nights I’d choose between San Diego or LA, maybe Santa Barbara.
In LA, Beverly Grove is a great area to stay. Park Plaza Lodge, Beverly Laurel Motor Hotel and Palihouse are all great options depending on your budget. In the area you have the La Brea Tarpits, Original Farmers Market, The Grove and Beverly Center (shopping), Academy Museum of Motion Pictures, Petersen Automotive Museum (movie and race cars) and what’s left of the LA Museum of Contemporary Art. It’s also a very family friendly, walkable neighbourhood with plenty of dining options mainly along West 3rd St. If you have time after all that, Griffith Park is excellent for kids with walks, Wild West museums, train rides, the Observatory and Zoo. Gets packed on weekends so try to visit on a weekday, you can easily spend all day there. A drive through Hollywood on the way there is all you need for that district.
I’ll leave SD and Santa Barbara to others to discuss. I’d also combine a SeKi trip with Monterey, Big Sur and Yosemite in the future over 10-12 days or so. The key with Yosemite particularly is booking well in advance (10-12 months) and staying in the Valley or National Park, not an hour or 2 away to save a few bucks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter