Ideas for Putting Together A "You're Going to SWGE Christmas Gift Box"

SamiL

Mouseketeer
I'm planning a weekend trip for my husband and twelve-year-old son to visit Galaxy's Edge. They are HUGE Star Wars fans. We won't be able to do a family trip for a while, but I'm putting this together as their big Christmas gifts.

I'd like to do two different boxes for them to open at the same time. For my son's box, I've already purchased the Star Wars Galaxy's Edge comic 1-5 collection and I was thinking of adding Pirate's Price. (I read about those here--so thanks to those who posted about them!)
I'm not sure what else to add to this box. I've thought about making him a t-shirt with something written in Aurebesh, but I don't know what that would be. Something that would spark interaction with outpost inhabitants would be cool.

For my husband's box, I've thought about some kind of secret mission envelope. I'm pretty crafty so I think I could design something, but I don't really know what it should say. Your mission is to go to Batuu and report back on First Order activity? I thought I might try to find a Batuuan Spira Gift Card on ebay and then load a few bucks onto it. I'm not sure what else to include. He works full time and is in grad school, so all his reading time is for school. And I think he might feel self-conscious in an Aurebesh t-shirt.

I really, really need ideas.

Details that might help:
The trip is the last full weekend in January, arrive, Friday, spend Saturday at GE and then leave Sunday.
They'll stay two nights at a Disney Springs Hotel.
I've somehow managed to snag a Oga's reservation for the two of them.
Almost everything I've learned about Galaxy's Edge I learned here, so I'm already indebted to you all--Thank you!! :tinker:

Last edited:
Well, if you are open to other books, the book Galaxy's Edge: Black Spire Outpost I found to be a really good primer for the land

We are doing a Christmas Gift for my kids this year for our upcoming trip (going in February) - it isn't *just* for GE, but that will be part of it. We are planning to wrap up Magic Bands to signify the trip (though not sure if that is applicable here since they are staying off property

Since you have the Oga's reservation, maybe print out the menu to help built excitement for that? Maybe get a CD or download the music that DJ Rex Plays - I know there is a playlist out there for it.

Good luck! i am sure they will be excited just with the trip itself, the idea you have around it, and the effort you are putting in and the actual specifics of content won't matter much

Since they're staying offsite and won't get MagicBands automatically, I think putting a MagicBand in each box would be a great addition! ShopDisney has multiple Star Wars MagicBand designs, so each of them could receive a different design that still ties into the theme of the trip (though two of the three I spotted on the site just now are from the Solo movie--so if they're not into that one it looks like you're limited to Darth Vader at the moment). I know you can also find MagicBands on eBay, but if you go that route I would be careful to be sure to get ones still in their packages to make sure they haven't already been linked to a stranger's account. Ditto the spira giftcard--make sure the number hasn't already been scratched, since if the original buyer already linked the giftcard to their account they could go online and move whatever money you put on it to one of their other giftcards at any time. The minimum amount you can put on a spira at purchase is $100, so expect to pay $100+ for the spira on eBay (but it should have $100 on it, so...).
[edit: I stand corrected on this! See posts below.]

Too bad your husband doesn't have time for leisure reading, or I'd second the suggestion of the Black Spire novel. Re: putting it in your son's gift box instead--I have trouble gauging what's appropriate for a twelve-year-old since I'm not a parent; the novel does have references to torture but so far (I'm on chapter 12) there's nothing graphic. But it may be better to stick to the media aimed more at younger audiences, Idk.

You could print and laminate an Aurebesh decoder chart for each of them--and on a quick internet search just now when I was looking for charts, I found an Aurebesh decoder ring for $18 on a site named Puzzle Box World (I've never bought from them, though; can't vouch for them). Similarly, you could print out a Batuuan lingo guide from Disney ("bright suns," etc.).

I'm having trouble thinking of more as well--but you could look at the sort of things one generally brings to WDW and try to find a thematically appropriate version. Things like bags to carry their stuff, reusable water bottles, that kind of thing. I do like the idea of a secret mission; if your husband is likely to want to get into roleplay it could spark ideas for him (or for your son). Maybe have it tell him to establish contact with the existing rebel outpost and do some spying on the First Order?

Last edited:
Etsy has some amazing stuff that you could use. Have you seen these? I ordered one for my trip in January. Maybe also sith or rebel pins so they could choose a faction. Those would probably get great interaction in the land! Also if you aren't doing Savi's workshop then a lightsaber would be a great way to include the theme. If you want cheap there are nice 10$ toy ones at Target. If you want nice then check out some of the custom metal ones on Etsy.

The minimum amount you can put on a spira at purchase is $100, so expect to pay $100+ for the spira on eBay (but it should have $100 on it, so...).
@SamiL ~ Don’t shop for a $100 Spira. Most eBay sellers have already used the $100 so the Spira have -0- value on them and haven’t been linked to disneygiftcard.com.

Check Etsy for Star Wars ID cards and your DH and DS can show their ‘ID’ when in Batuu.

@SamiL ~ Don’t shop for a $100 Spira. Most eBay sellers have already used the $100 so the Spira have -0- value on them and haven’t been linked to disneygiftcard.com.

If the card has been used, how can you ensure that it hasn't been linked to disneygiftcard.com?

If the card has been used, how can you ensure that it hasn't been linked to disneygiftcard.com?
If the seller is honest, they’ll include a photo of the back of the card showing that the ID # hasn’t been exposed.

I bought 2 extra Spira; DD and I cleared both in 1 day at DL and then I sent them out to the Mods who have spent months overseeing this sub forum. Neither one has complained to me. 😉

If the seller is honest, they’ll include a photo of the back of the card showing that the ID # hasn’t been exposed.

I bought 2 extra Spira; DD and I cleared both in 1 day at DL and then I sent them out to the Mods who have spent months overseeing this sub forum. Neither one has complained to me. 😉
Good to know!

Do your husband and son like one side more than the other? There’s the shoulder porg from the Disney store. I believe Target and other retailers have SW socks. If you’re going the ebay route you may be ave to find inexpensive maps.

Thank you all so much for the great info and so many awesome ideas! You've given me a lot to work with. I'll try to post and update with the package when it's finished. I appreciate your help so much!

If they are hoping to get a reaction or some interaction in SWGE from Chewbacca or stormtroopers, you may want to get your DS and DH shirts that have a (large) pic of one of the Star Wars character on it rather than something like a generic star wars logo. I saw a tee with R2D2 at target in the boys section, and a long sleeve shirt with BB8. It might be cool in January, so one of those costume hoodie sweatshirts of either Chewbacca or Stormtrooper would be a fun idea too. No guarantee they'll get an interaction of course, but you never know. :-)

While in SWGE, my DD was carrying DS's BB droid when Chewy and his handler stopped my kids to interact with them. Then a boy near us in a full stormtrooper costume caught their attention and they interacted with him - at first acting nervous of him, then when "realizing" he was just "pretending", they said they were going to use him as a spy to trick the stormtroopers. Then led him and his parents off to find some stormtroopers. It was pretty funny.

I don't what types of things you're looking for as gifts, but I'd browse target and walmart. Between Star Wars Christmas novelty items and the new movie merchandise out, there's lots of SW merch out right now. I just bought DS a keychain clip of the new dog looking droid that will be in the new movie. On sale at target, about $7. It's cute and I thought he could put it on his droid backpack. Also got him a BB8 ornament.
Kohls usually has nice Star Wars shirts too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts