Ideas needed for a private 65th birthday

suzymouse724

Mouseketeer
Hi. I know this may be a bit off topic - but I'm hoping to get some ideas for a private birthday party we will be having for my Dad's 65th birthday on our November trip.

Dad is a huge disney fan, goes yearly, and for this trip the whole family, kids, grandkids, his brother, and cousins will be coming. In total we will be 13-14 people ages 1-65. We contacted disney catered events because we want to do something special one day/evening to celebrate. They suggested a dinner/dessert party during fantasmic. Dad loved the idea. At the time they told us fantasmic would start at 7:30 based on past schedules. Well as it turns out, fantasmic won't start until 8:30 the entire week we are there. Sadly, that's just to late for the grandkids. No one wants to spend all that money to have toddler melt downs or adults having to leave with cranky kids...

So we are back to the drawing board. So far our planner has not come up with any suggestions that have excited Dad. So that's why I am asking for ideas. I'd love to hear about any ideas or about small parties anyone has done that were uniquely Disney - that can be done daytime or early evening. Thanks so much!!

All of my best parties have been pretty late at night because you have to wait for the fireworks and/or the park to close. Forgive my ignorance, but if the guest of honor really loves the idea of Fantasmic, will one hour really mean the difference between perfect angels and little devils as far as the grandkids go? Aren't they already off their normal schedules when they're on vacation at Disney? Many many brides have 8:30pm IllumiNations dessert parties, and I have yet to hear one complain that it was ruined by kid meltdowns.

If nighttime is out, then fireworks and most ride mix-ins are out. Your best bet is breakfast at Tamu Tamu Courtyard in Animal Kingdom and a Safari ride mix-in afterward. Or you could do a lunchtime event in a convention center or one of the few in-park locations available during the day (like Dinosaur Lounge at AK and Norway Loft or possibly GM Lounge at Epcot) and hire entertainment (caricature artist, DJ, face painter, musician, etc.). I have photos of all locations here: http://disneytravelbabble.com/disney-weddings/wdw-venue-photos/

Thanks so much! This is very helpful information, and the website and pictures are great! I will show them to Dad this weekend. He loves test track so the GM lounge might be a good choice. Do you know if they would do test track ride mix-in?

Yes! You can definitely do a Test Track mix-in, and there's even a secret door from the lounge to the exit side of the loading platform so you can get right on!

Considering the size of your group you may need adjoining tables That said have you considered Hoop Dee Doo Revue. Times are early enough for most of the group and some one highly likely to be in The Grand Finale

Yes! You can definitely do a Test Track mix-in, and there's even a secret door from the lounge to the exit side of the loading platform so you can get right on!
That sounds really promising! I am going to ask our planner about it. Thanks again!

I'm planning a private Highway in the Sky event and have learned that Disney will replicate existing ideas ... so, what about a private Dine with an Imagineer? You could couple it with Fantasmic! so that those that want to go see the show can go, but if the Littles can't hang with the rest, you have an exit strategy.

I'm planning a private Highway in the Sky event and have learned that Disney will replicate existing ideas ... so, what about a private Dine with an Imagineer? You could couple it with Fantasmic! so that those that want to go see the show can go, but if the Littles can't hang with the rest, you have an exit strategy.
Wow - I didn't realize they can replicate existing ideas. A private dine with an Imagineers sounds awesome! They typically do that at the brown derby, right? Dad would love that!

So cool that you are doing a private Highway in the Sky. I love that idea -- but doubt it would work for us as it's not little kid friendly...

Thanks everyone for the ideas!!! Now I have a few really great ideas to go back to Dad and our planner with.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!