Ideas Needed for Long Distance Wedding Celebration

garada3

DIS Veteran
Family member is getting married in early November in San Diego area. They are planning a city hall wedding at this time with a more traditional ceremony and reception in the future. There is no family that lives local and the couple does not want people to fly in for this ceremony and then have to again later for the big celebration.

We have already discussed collecting handwritten messages or video messages from family for the couple to look at on wedding day, a bridal shower in a box we send via the mail, buying their dinner post ceremony, wedding cake/cupcakes at dinner, a night in a nice hotel.

Any suggestions for things we can do to add a little extra special to their day?

Thanks!

Family member is getting married in early November in San Diego area. They are planning a city hall wedding at this time with a more traditional ceremony and reception in the future. There is no family that lives local and the couple does not want people to fly in for this ceremony and then have to again later for the big celebration.

We have already discussed collecting handwritten messages or video messages from family for the couple to look at on wedding day, a bridal shower in a box we send via the mail, buying their dinner post ceremony, wedding cake/cupcakes at dinner, a night in a nice hotel.

Any suggestions for things we can do to add a little extra special to their day?

Thanks!
Get everybody together and Skype in!

What is the purpose of this pre-ceremony? If they are doing it up big later on and celebrating then, what is the point in having this one now?
Do they even really want to celebrate this one?
I had friends who got married at the courthouse, and then had a big ceremony and celebration later. They did that because they didn't want the legal hassle of having to do the paperwork for getting married somewhere else, so it was easier to technically get married on their lunch hour and not worry about it. They didn't celebrate the courthouse wedding at all, because in their mind it was more like additional paperwork. The important part was the wedding celebration later on.

What is the purpose of this pre-ceremony? If they are doing it up big later on and celebrating then, what is the point in having this one now?
I had friends who got married at the courthouse, and then had a big ceremony and celebration later. They did that because they didn't want the legal hassle of having to do the paperwork for getting married somewhere else, so it was easier to technically get married on their lunch hour and not worry about it. They didn't celebrate the courthouse wedding at all, because in their mind it was more like additional paperwork. The important part was the wedding celebration later on.

Not my place to question their choices.

We all know life can get in the way of plans.

I just asked for suggestions or ideas to let them know that, even though the family isn’t there, we are still celebrating them.

Would people be interested in chipping in for a nice hotel with a couples massage that night? You could have the hotel send up champagne and charcuterie with a sweet note. I love the bridal shower in s box idea! Maybe matching robes or pjs?

Is there any chance they intentionally want to keep this one low-key and without celebration so that the big affair they’re planning will feel like their first and only wedding? I know people sometimes have logistical reasons for needing/wanting to handle the legal aspects of getting married in advance of what they want to be their “actual” wedding. In that case, I would respect their wishes to more or less ignore this one and wait to celebrate with them at the future wedding where they invite people to join them.

If that’s not the case, then I’d think a bottle of champagne and a card wishing them well would be plenty sufficient to let them know you’re thinking of them.

My husband and I had a couple people say they wanted to Skype in to watch us get married and we were kinda like “Uh, no thanks.” It just sounded like a hassle we weren’t interested in dealing with while we were trying to get married. So, my advice is to ask the couple what they would like and take them at their word if they say they would or wouldn’t welcome something you’re offering.

Not my place to question their choices.

We all know life can get in the way of plans.

I just asked for suggestions or ideas to let them know that, even though the family isn’t there, we are still celebrating them.

I don't think PP was questioning their court date and a later celebration ... sounded more like .... if they are doing the simple court procedure early and then following up with a big ceremony/celebration .......... maybe they don't want all the fuss you are talking about doing this time. Maybe they want the big celebration to be the one folks acknowledge, celebrate, have cake etc.

Have you talked to them about if they want and have you paying for all these things that day, the skype etc?

Nothing.
Everyone I know who did this didn't want to detract from the later celebration.
I do like the Skype idea though.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter