If a Restaurant was dirty looking

low-key

14001, 60056, 224
but the food was great, would you eat there ? yes, I just wouldn't think about it while I ate

We have a Chinese restaurant near us that is very outdated, rundown, & small. It has an open kitchen and the kitchen seems clean and organized, but the restaurant itself is just very rundown & doesn't "feel" clean. Food is amazing though. I would never eat there, but we get take out there all the time.

let me put a amendment to my answer, I would not eat if it was Chinese dirty, Chinese dirty = Cat

LOL We used to eat at a Chinese restaurant for years that was kinda dirty. Dim sum every Sunday and there's a lineup around the corner on weekends. I would put it out of my mind. The crusty plates, spotty utensils, servers who threw your dishes on the table with their thumbs in the food. Sketchy mystery meat. The wall to wall carpeting squished when you walked over it. If you had to use the restroom you held it until you got home because theirs were that disgusting. Once as I was walking out, a pigeon was walked by me into the restaurant like he owned the place. :scared: The food was so tasty though!

I can't believe I ate there considering I'm one who would gross out and not eat out of a communal a bowl of chips. :crazy2:

Last edited:
I go to a similar Chinese "hole in the wall" for lunch occasionally so I guess I have to say yes, but if I were to walk into a new place and it looked or smelled dirty, I likely wouldn't stay. We left a popular, clean and well-lit chain place the other day with food in front of us because there were several flies buzzing around us. I just couldn't...(and yes, we paid the bill and tipped).

We have a Chinese restaurant near us that is very outdated, rundown, & small. It has an open kitchen and the kitchen seems clean and organized, but the restaurant itself is just very rundown & doesn't "feel" clean. Food is amazing though. I would never eat there, but we get take out there all the time.
Yes! There is a place about a half an hour drive from us that serves the best food! It doesn’t seem sanitary at all. But the food is so good. I send my husband to pick it up now.

We have an acquaintance that owns a bar. It's run down and dirty and basically a "one man show". He's bar maid and cook. Food is great. I just block out the dirty tables with lunch remains on them at dinner time and I make it a point to never look in the kitchen when we go there...

Idk, it depends. Part of what I like about a restaurant is atmosphere.

But yeah, if the food was really good I might chance it. My brother loves a good hole in the wall type place so if I'm with him, you never know where we're going to wind up, lol.

We were recently talking about Gordon Ramsay and some of the nastiness he finds in restaurants. Even some of the ones that appear clean. So I guess you never know.

My husband is better with hole in the wall restaurants than I am. If it appears to be dirty then I'll turn around and walk out. First impression does make an impact. Yes, I've eaten at rundown places that had great food, but I prefer to not sit through a meal pondering the cleanliness of the kitchen, or staring around the room scrutinizing each spec of grime.

Yes! There is a place about a half an hour drive from us that serves the best food! It doesn’t seem sanitary at all. But the food is so good. I send my husband to pick it up now.

Me too. Are we all eating at the same Chinese restaurant? I've been going there for years and have never gotten sick. On the flipside you could go to a super clean looking restaurant and get sick because a staff member didn't wash their hands.

I’ve eaten at a lot of run down places with great food, but idk about dirty. I won’t eat at a place with a B rating or lower :crazy2:

LOL We used to eat at a Chinese restaurant for years that was kinda dirty. Dim sum every Sunday and there's a lineup around the corner on weekends. I would put it out of my mind. The crusty plates, spotty utensils, servers who threw your dishes on the table with their thumbs in the food. Sketchy mystery meat. The wall to wall carpeting squished when you walked over it. If you had to use the restroom you held it until you got home because theirs were that disgusting. Once as I was walking out, a pigeon was walked by me into the restaurant like he owned the place. :scared: The food was so tasty though!

I can't believe I ate there considering I'm one who would gross out and not eat out of a communal a bowl of chips. :crazy2:

Ecoli!!! Ecoli everywhere.

dirty looking and dirty can be totally different. There is the dive my wife likes to go to. its dirty looking to me.. but not dirty because if it were my wife would be the first to leave...

Our local ABC new affiliate has a segment called "Dirty Dining".
This man goes to all the places that have been shut down and tries to talk to the owners, I swear one day he is going to shot or stabbed. This people get so very hostile when he shows up with the camera.
He does list online all the places that score perfectly on inspections too!

My biggest shock was a couple months ago when the country club we held my daughter in laws baby shower in was closed down for roaches:crazy2:, its a beautiful private club too, so you just never know.

Once he was at a Macaroni Grill that was shut down because it was so bad, nice open kitchen and everything looked great. I knew because we ate there 2 days before it was shut down, I know we probably got the worst of the worst that night, I was so repulsed.

No, I wouldn't. Especially if the toilets were also dirty. (Looking at you, local Burger King that time forgot)

Luckily in the UK we have a mandatory food hygiene rating system. I won't eat anywhere lower then a 4, 3 if it otherwise looks clean.

There are very few true truckstops left—most have fast food places not actual restaurants. But there is one that dh stops at when in that area that is run down and doesn’t seem the cleanest but has the best food. Actual home cooking. And some fantastic service. We stopped once when I was with him and he warned me ahead of time that it may seem dirty but give it a chance. He was right. Great food. All the truckers in that area go there.

There is a place about an hour from us that has made a name out of being a dive. I don’t think it’s really dirty. It just seems like it. But the food is really good.

Honestly I have been in places that seemed dirty and got an A on their health dept inspection and in places that seemed immaculate that got a C. Yeah, I go to the one that got an A regardless of the appearance.

Dirty? No. But run down or out-dated? Yes.

We once ate at a restaurant that was kind of gross and I could not enjoy my meal. We were there at an odd hour, it was not quite dinner, but past lunch. Tables were stacked with dirty dishes from lunch that nobody seemed to be bothered with clearing and cleaning. The floor was covered with food. We stayed because the kids were hungry, but I was bothered by the mess around us. It looked like a tornado blew through LOL! It seemed there was a shortage of staff, but nobody was concerned with cleaning the dining room.

I don't mind out dated. We have a local restaurant that could use an overhaul in the decor dept. Seriously needs an update, but the food is good and the place is clean so I don't mind.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter