If anybody wanted a new camera, now's the time!

Used to be a much smaller percentage but my understanding is it’s now about a third.

That’s why all the action has been full frame.

Among Sony, Canon and Nikon over the last 18 months or so:
Full frame:
Sony a7riii
Sony a7iii
Nikon d850 (just slightly more than 18 months)
Nikon Z6
Nikon Z7
Canon R
Canon Rp
7 models.
Aps-c over the last 18 months
Sony A6400 (priced $900... they currently sell the full frame a7ii for about the same price)
Nikon d3500 (which has almost no changes from the d3400)
Canon t7
Canon sl3

Just 4 models.

Aps-c models used to vastly outnumber full frame models.
Aps-c might be on the way out — a temporary fad when early sensor technology was super expensive.
As Canon and Nikon enter the mirrorless fray —- note that Nikon hasn’t even launched an aps-c camera at all (but they have hinted they will eventually). And Canon left their aps-c mirrorless mount in limbo.... no new cameras in 2 years and not even clear if they are going to continue the mount.
The behavior confirms that full frame is driving the market. Profitability is margin X volume. When aps-c was 95% of the volume, it could drive profits even at low margins. But with the collapse of the aps-c market, their profit is on the higher margin cameras. The reason FF is getting all the attention is because it’s becoming a much bigger share of the market. (Bigger share of a much smaller market).

Anyway... there should be a Canon 1dxiii in the next 6-9 months.

the mirrorless fray is heating up - stay tuned ...
and I continue to use my old old Canon APS-C mirrorless and 20 year old lenses
pity the poor schmucks that bought the little shirt pocket-size M100!!

(gotta jump to full frame .... gotta jump with the action !)

www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

Untitled by c w, on Flickr

Last edited:
Just wanted to thank all the people who contributed their take on this subject. I'm just starting to consider moving from my Nikon 5300 setup to mirrorless simply for a lighter load. I find that I get older that I'm using my iPhone as a camera because I just don't want to carry the "big camera" around as much. But I still enjoy the hobby so not going to get rid of the camera entirely.

Yeah, the amount of kit I carry drove me to try a Canon M6II. I like the sensor but the overall handling with my stubby fat fingers is something I'm still trying to get used to. But now, instead of a photo backpack, I can carry the same glass in a beltpack. Of course, that means only one body but that's another story.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!