If DVC didn't exist....

CapeCodFam

DIS Veteran
It would be really expensive for us to go to WDW every year. Airfare is now crazy. WDW has introduced summer rates. Ticket prices have gone up quite a bit since our first trip in '01.

Anyway, I love only paying the small dues bill and getting a great discount off of APs. :thumbsup2

We bought in 2002 and took 10 trips already with family sometimes. Using anywhere from 1 studio to 5 studios each trip. sometimes a 1 bedroom

Before buying DVC we were only to WDW twice in 2000/2001 for off-site . We saw BWV and and bought there in 2002.

If DVC didn't exist we would never have taken all these vacations to WDW because of room cost and tickets prices. We now own and always have AP's :cool1: :cool1:

Actually I think many members would go to WDW cheaper than they do now. There are many easy access off property options including other timeshares. Several of which are just as convenient location wise as some of the DVC properties. And in some ways, they might be better off. Esp when it came to timeshare exchanges and cash equivalent options. And I suspect most would find a way to enjoy it just as they do now.

I believe it is a great deal cheaper to own DVC even with dues. We have stayed at All stars a couple of times and hated it. We like the more deluxe accomodations. We like being on property too. It is just a good fit for our family. It just really depends on your vacationing habits. :goodvibes

I would probably stay off property more... and I wouldn't go as often on the "spur of the moment" LOL!

I don't know if it would cost me more....

However, I have been following the June/July/Aug rate code thread over on the resort board.. :rotfl2: Panic, acceptance, resentment etc. are all rampant emotions over there over the lack of discounts for that time period. Makes me glad that the majority of my onsite id taken care of....

Dean said:
Actually I think many members would go to WDW cheaper than they do now. There are many easy access off property options including other timeshares. Several of which are just as convenient location wise as some of the DVC properties. And in some ways, they might be better off. Esp when it came to timeshare exchanges and cash equivalent options. And I suspect most would find a way to enjoy it just as they do now.

All true! But, we have no desire to do anything off-property. We thoroughly love being surrounded by the magic and the ease of being on-site. It's the total immersion thing. Now, If we can just get some moderately priced airfare when the schedule opens up.... :wizard:

Without the DVC, we would never have discovered WDW. Living just an hour's drive the DLR, there was no reason to visit Florida. Having joined DVC, we're now visiting WDW and enjoying DCL.

Without it, we would still be visiting DLR, taking the occasional cruise on another line, and making our annual treks to Puerto Vallarta and Cabo San Lucas.

Now we're doing the same, but trying to fit DVC and DCL into our limited vacation time - as we add additional points/contracts!

If there was no DVC, for our onsite stays we would book AAA rates at Port Orleans French Quarter or Carribbean Beach, or Wilderness Lodge standard view rooms for the most part. Maybe an occasional splurge at the Yacht or Beach Club standard view rooms for a few nights. And then stay at Marriott's Horizons or Cypress Harbour for full week stays or the newly remodeled Celebrity resort at Lake Buena Vista (Palm Parkway). But I would still want to end an off-site stay with a splurge of a Disney on-site themed resort - even if just for a few days. It would give me something EXTRA to look forward to. ;)

Pre-DVC I would go down with friends every other year or so. Did the off site stay but once I stayed on site there was no going back. Am I paying more - yes - but I'm staying in better accomodations. I love the 1-BRs.

Cyn

If there wasn't any DVC I would probably start out by still remaining at moderates, followed by shorter visits (maybe 5 nights instead of 7), followed by moving to values, followed by going every other year.

But thankfully I don't have to worry about that.

If DVC didn't exist we wouldn't have shared a two-bedroom unit with friends last weekend (it was a birthday present), nor would we be sharing a two-bedroom unit with DH's adult daughter and her best friend in October. And I'm sure we wouldn't be making a trip in December.

If DVC didn't exist we probably wouldn't have tried resorts that weren't in the Magic Kingdom area. Our first trip home was SSR last October. And this last trip was split between BCV and OKW.

Gas prices may rise and fall, airfare may rise and fall, but the cost of a DVC room will not change.

Best decision I ever made, and (join in if you want) I wish I had done it sooner.

If DVC didn't exist, I would vacation much less--only once per year, not multiple visits. I would also have more work accomplished on my current home since I wouldn't be using all my vacation time for vaacations--I could be using it for remodeling.
I'm glad DVC exists!

I am even happier now to have purchased DVC! The rising rates even this year for rooms, air, etc...make it harder and harder to justify trips to DIsney as much as we like to go. We got caught in the on-site only web a few years back and we go to Disney to stay at Disney. DVC was the answer for our family. We've rented houses, stayed off site, did values, and nothing compares to how we feel at DVC. We take other vacations and but I love knowing that DVC will always be available for us no matter how rates change everywhere else on property :cool1:

Figment2 says : Did the off site stay but once I stayed on site there was no going back. Am I paying more - yes - but I'm staying in better accomodations. I love the 1-BRs.
Not sure if you stayed in an offsite timeshare or just an offsite motel Cyn....but as far as simply accomodations go----alot of offsite timeshares are just as nice if not nicer than DVC accomodations. And most cost alot less. You can often get a very nice 2 bedroom offsite villa for the same price as a disney moderate resort/night or less. Travel time is often 10-15 min to the parks.
But if staying onsite for other reasons is the argument, then, yes.....DVC can't be beat. DVC is great for the total immersion & deluxe accomodations. We love our DVC stays but we own an offsite timeshare as well and enjoy both types of vacations. I, personally, would not lessen my trips to WDW if DVC didn't exist. I'd rather be vacationing in WDW/FL offsite than not vacationing at all ;) So I guess I'm a little different from the general consensus here.

If DVC didn't exist, I wouldn't be infected with the addonitis bug, nor would it have been discovered!

For us, if DVC wasn't around we would not visit (or at least plan to visit) WDW as much. Having DVC forces us to plan our vacations in advance, and just this year, we will be going 3 times! If we didn't have DVC, that wouldn't happen, and we would go, we'd be staying in the value resorts and sticking with the commando-style trips to the parks.

It works for us! :thumbsup2

If there was no DVC I would be using all of my friends CM room discounts and they would not be returning my phone calls!

vascubaguy said:
If DVC didn't exist, I wouldn't be infected with the addonitis bug, nor would it have been discovered!

For us, if DVC wasn't around we would not visit (or at least plan to visit) WDW as much. Having DVC forces us to plan our vacations in advance, and just this year, we will be going 3 times! If we didn't have DVC, that wouldn't happen, and we would go, we'd be staying in the value resorts and sticking with the commando-style trips to the parks.

It works for us! :thumbsup2

I'm in agreement with vascubaguy!!

We used to stay in value resorts and hit the ground running for the every other year vacation. We went last December for our first trip "home" at SSR - will be in WDW in three weeks at SSR - and again this December at SSR. Our vacations are much more relaxed and we are seeing more things. We are signed up for the Fantasmic package in June (we've never done this) along with our favorites of 'Ohana and a character breakfast. The only ride we really want to get in this trip is Expedition Everest - although we will definitely hit more rides than that but since we know we're coming back in December we can just pick a few things and concentrate on those.

We love DVC!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!