If Everest doesn't get yeti refurb after Pandora opening, when?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I personally believe this is pretty credible information, but will agree that we can't be sure it's 100% fact. I think when discussing the Yeti we need to be careful not to state anything as 100% fact. Sometimes things get repeated so often that people start to believe they are facts.

Like the "cracked foundation"...for example?

I've never quite believed that...it's not like they don't "overdo" all foundations...it is a hurricane zone and everything it built for Armageddon.

I do believe the outsourced defunct machine shop that built the yeti didn't calculate the torque/stress/maintenance requirements well enough and the thing started to shake itself apart. That is believable. That's why wdi should handle the AAs...they're like the Jedi when it comes to that.

Like the "cracked foundation"...for example?

I've never quite believed that...it's not like they don't "overdo" all foundations...it is a hurricane zone and everything it built for Armageddon.

I do believe the outsourced defunct machine shop that built the yeti didn't calculate the torque/stress/maintenance requirements well enough and the thing started to shake itself apart. That is believable. That's why wdi should handle the AAs...they're like the Jedi when it comes to that.
That's why I think WDI is doing the avatar AA. At least I believe they are I haven't heard of any outside companies working on that one.

I disbelieve the cracked foundation story because if the foundation was severely cracked wouldn't that be a much bigger problem for the 100+ tons of precisely aligned steel track and mountain supports than it would be for a 500 lb mechanical gorilla?

More likely the AA itself was too complicated and unreliable and also a safety liability being poised over the guests in their train, and Disney doesn't feel the need to redesign it with better and safer AA and/or video effects.

Universal uses the same gag on the Jurassic park ride with (evidently) a simpler and more reliable dinosaur AA which tries to snatch the guests just before the final plunge. So we're not talking about impossible engineering here - just a really high tolerance for "bad show".

I disbelieve the cracked foundation story because if the foundation was severely cracked wouldn't that be a much bigger problem for the 100+ tons of precisely aligned steel track and mountain supports than it would be for a 500 lb mechanical gorilla?

More likely the AA itself was too complicated and unreliable and also a safety liability being poised over the guests in their train, and Disney doesn't feel the need to redesign it with better and safer AA and/or video effects.

Universal uses the same gag on the Jurassic park ride with (evidently) a simpler and more reliable dinosaur AA which tries to snatch the guests just before the final plunge. So we're not talking about impossible engineering here - just a really high tolerance for "bad show".

The story goes that there were 3 separate, intertwined foundations...one ride, one mountain, one yeti...and only the yeti one cracked...so the story goes...

No, you misunderstand. I don't mind it, unless it affects nearly every part of the property for 3+ years...

I meant the larger "we" in that you hear complaints about rides needing rehab, but then when things go down you hear complaints that rides are down ... we want new things but then people complain about all the construction walls, etc.

although for Everest it is three separate structural systems - the track, the Yeti, and the actual mountain - so it is possible for their to be structural/foundation issues with the Yeti and not with the track

edit: what LOL said

There is a lot of credible evidence but it's third hand at best. With that you are playing the game of telephone, and the facts get blurred just a bit.

Generally accepted is that the yeti doesn't move, and it is because of a structural issue.
We hear, "foundation", but it's unclear if it's the concrete base, or the base of the structure itself.

It's generally accepted as plausible that whatever fix is believed to be a cure, will take more time than they'd like to have the ride closed.

So the arguments I read, is that Disney has cheaped out, and don't want to fix it. OR Disney wants to fix it and has a plan to fix it, but do not want to close the ride long enough to fix it.

So you have to ask yourself what you believe, they have no desire to fix it, or they want to, but the right opportunity hasn't presented itself.

If they have no desire to fix it, I think it's safe to suggest the motivation is a financial one. This financial decision doesn't bode well for the culture of the company.

If you believe they want to fix it, but haven't found the right opportunity. Then the reasons for having not done it yet, are financial, or perceived capacity issues, or guest satisfaction (or any combination). Financial implications in this scenario are not necessarily nefarious. You could be making a financially prudent move.

As to the original posters questions, I do think they will make attempts to fix it. However, my personal opinion is to wait until Spring 2018. My reasoning is that Avatar land should be online. The initial surge in attendance will start to flatten. Hopefully at that time, other opportunities outside AK, will combat that down time. My theory is they look at the coasters as a unit, and only desire to have 1 down at any time for an extended refurb.

It wasn't just the arm. I rode the summer it opened, and it certainly isn't 'just as good' with the strobe.

Not even close...this whole discussion has made it out to be like the yeti was one of the neon tempura paint cardboard cutouts on snow whites scary adventure or pooh bear...

That's why I'm fighting this...this is out of the "poor Disney" excuse play book...

What am i gonna say next?

The story goes that there were 3 separate, intertwined foundations...one ride, one mountain, one yeti...and only the yeti one cracked...so the story goes...

While I've heard that one - and it's partly true in that there are 3 independent foundations - the problem is that the Yeti can't easily be worked on / removed without taking apart the ride itself. So even though the Yeti is independent - repairs aren't really independent.

While I've heard that one - and it's partly true in that there are 3 independent foundations - the problem is that the Yeti can't easily be worked on / removed without taking apart the ride itself. So even though the Yeti is independent - repairs aren't really independent.

"Peel back the mountain?"

Yeah...that's the "other" part of the story.

If they had to dismantle part of the ride system for couple of months...I could see them doing It. If it involves the structure AND the ride? No way.

I can only assume that they cant dismantle the yeti either...admit it, if they could - don't you think the beaners would have done it by now?

Last edited:
As for when it will be fixed...
Flying_Pigs.jpg

So the arguments I read, is that Disney has cheaped out, and don't want to fix it. OR Disney wants to fix it and has a plan to fix it, but do not want to close the ride long enough to fix it.

So you have to ask yourself what you believe, they have no desire to fix it, or they want to, but the right opportunity hasn't presented itself.

If they have no desire to fix it, I think it's safe to suggest the motivation is a financial one. This financial decision doesn't bode well for the culture of the company..

All very true - but understand Disney's point of view...if they considered it "Bad Show", then they probably would be making a bigger effort to fix it. I mean, I'm sure it considered "Bad Show", but it's a level of bad show that 99% of people don't even notice and the 1 % that DO notice don't stop them from going. My guess would be there's a much higher percentage of imagineers bothered by it than guests.

I look at it this way...where I work, we have a maintenance list, and items get added to the list as Priority 1, 2 or 3, with 1 being urgent, 2 being high, and 3 being low. We jokingly refer to the "3" category as the "It'll never happen". Expensive / time consuming Priority 3 jobs will be on the list for literally YEARS before they are addressed. Not because they don't need to be address, but simply because there's always something more important. Often they only get addressed when the importance changes or some other coinciding important job comes along that we can include it. And the longer the job lingers, the less likely it's ever going to get done.

The Yeti is the Disney equivalent of a Priority 3 job. At some point, they are going to have to do a major refurb on EE, certainly to replace the track probably within the next 10 years. My bet would be that's what it will take to get the Yeti fixed - another large "must do" job that they can roll the Yeti job into it.

I have a hard time believing this. The yeti is supposed to move. Anything that moves will need to be repaired eventually and I can't believe they designed the system so moving parts can not be repaired on a scheduled basis. It has to be something that is more structural and usually a set it forget it type thing that typically does not require repairs.

Skip ahead to the 33 minute mark. Watch how the whole body lunges AND the arm swipes. Listen to Joe sell this thing as the capstone of the whole ride/story. Doesn't really matter? Hardly.

Skip ahead to the 33 minute mark. Watch how the whole body lunges AND the arm swipes. Listen to Joe sell this thing as the capstone of the whole ride/story. Doesn't really matter? Hardly.

Yep...the history of this is being rewritten to provide a convenient out for management because there isn't enough to ride in that - or frankly any of the parks down there...

It does matter to the show. It most certainly does. However, the longer it goes, the less it does. Guests haven't stopped coming and haven't stopped riding. It's been broken now for what 8 years? What would motivate them NOW to fix it? (And yes, I am NOT arguing that it is good that they don't fix it, it's bad and symptomatic of a bigger problem - but I am arguing from a motivational standpoint. What will motivate getting it fixed in the future - considering that nothings motivated them up to this point.)

It does matter to the show. It most certainly does. However, the longer it goes, the less it does. Guests haven't stopped coming and haven't stopped riding. It's been broken now for what 8 years? What would motivate them NOW to fix it? (And yes, I am NOT arguing that it is good that they don't fix it, it's bad and symptomatic of a bigger problem - but I am arguing from a motivational standpoint. What will motivate getting it fixed in the future - considering that nothings motivated them up to this point.)

Are the "guests" doing anything intelligent these days?

Have they for 5 years? 10?

That's why I'm rejecting your "consensus" arguments.

Does it matter to the matching tshirts crowd right now? No

Should you and I care and start thinking about this/spreading the word so perhaps the place holds up? ?

There is a lot of credible evidence but it's third hand at best. With that you are playing the game of telephone, and the facts get blurred just a bit.

Generally accepted is that the yeti doesn't move, and it is because of a structural issue.
We hear, "foundation", but it's unclear if it's the concrete base, or the base of the structure itself.

It's generally accepted as plausible that whatever fix is believed to be a cure, will take more time than they'd like to have the ride closed.

If they have no desire to fix it, I think it's safe to suggest the motivation is a financial one. This financial decision doesn't bode well for the culture of the company.

If you believe they want to fix it, but haven't found the right opportunity. Then the reasons for having not done it yet, are financial, or perceived capacity issues, or guest satisfaction (or any combination). Financial implications in this scenario are not necessarily nefarious. You could be making a financially prudent move.

As to the original posters questions, I do think they will make attempts to fix it. However, my personal opinion is to wait until Spring 2018. My reasoning is that Avatar land should be online. The initial surge in attendance will start to flatten. Hopefully at that time, other opportunities outside AK, will combat that down time. My theory is they look at the coasters as a unit, and only desire to have 1 down at any time for an extended refurb.

But are the "generally accepted" things accepted because they are true, or just because they have been repeated so many times people think they are true?

But are the "generally accepted" things accepted because they are true, or just because they have been repeated so many times people think they are true?
I see your point, but it's a red herring.
Generally accepted need not be true......it's just generally accepted, and that is part of my point. Like Jon Snow, we know nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter