If Everest doesn't get yeti refurb after Pandora opening, when?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Skip ahead to the 33 minute mark. Watch how the whole body lunges AND the arm swipes. Listen to Joe sell this thing as the capstone of the whole ride/story. Doesn't really matter? Hardly.

Watching that makes me really sad for the entire team that worked on Yeti. You can tell it was such a project, and they all worked so hard. And it broke and the suits have just let it sit for all these years. What a waste.

Ive seen some say that this would be a 6 week close and from my limited knowledge in matters of the such, if there is a structural issue then that will be much more then a 6 week fix. That is going to cost lots of money and time and idk if Disney will shut the ride down for months and months to fix an issue that is really never seen. Disney will take the time to repair the tracks and other issues but the true question is will they take the time to fix a structural issue that could take months to repair?

Credible hearsay doesn't make it any less hearsay. I'm not saying I debunk the theory, but we can't count it as absolute fact.

I'm not sure I would classify a personal conversation with someone who's actual job it is to fix these things as "hearsay". As DanBoris said, he's not a bus driver, or even a cast member who works on the ride. He's an imagineer who's job is know what is wrong with these animatronics, and keep them running.

I'm not sure I would classify a personal conversation with someone who's actual job it is to fix these things as "hearsay". As DanBoris said, he's not a bus driver, or even a cast member who works on the ride. He's an imagineer who's job is know what is wrong with these animatronics, and keep them running.
I'm not trying to be a jerk, but that is the very definition of hearsay.
'the report of another person's words by a witness, usually disallowed as evidence in a court of law.'

I'm not suggesting it's bogus, It's just hard pass off as fact unless that person is on record saying it. While we can all agree this dude likely has a better understanding than a bus driver of what the issue might be....we don't what the suits ultimate excuse is.

We only know the Yeti aint movin'

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but that is the very definition of hearsay.
'the report of another person's words by a witness, usually disallowed as evidence in a court of law.'

I'm not suggesting it's bogus, It's just hard pass off as fact unless that person is on record saying it. While we can all agree this dude likely has a better understanding than a bus driver of what the issue might be....we don't what the suits ultimate excuse is.

We only know the Yeti aint movin'

My comments only concerned his remarks on what is broken on the Yeti, which is apparently the exact kind of thing (animatronics) that he works on every day. Not on any remarks he made on why the suits haven't fixed it. I should have made that more clear. My response was in response to someone mentioning the "foundation" as the reason the Yeti isn't moving, and implying that this imagineer's remarks on why the Yeti is broken were "hearsay".

If I tell my boss that the telescope is broken, and he tells the department chairman in an effort to get money to fix it, the chair doesn't consider my boss' remarks about the condition of the telescope "hearsay" because he didn't hear the problem directly from me.

So unless both the imagineer (who given his position would reasonably be expected to know exactly what is wrong with the Yeti, especially given his reaction when it was brought up) and/or DanBoris are lying, I'm inclined to believe the imagineer's reasons for the malfunction. His comments about why it hasn't been fixed are very likely hearsay.

My comments only concerned his remarks on what is broken on the Yeti, which is apparently the exact kind of thing (animatronics) that he works on every day. Not on any remarks he made on why the suits haven't fixed it. I should have made that more clear. My response was in response to someone mentioning the "foundation" as the reason the Yeti isn't moving, and implying that this imagineer's remarks on why the Yeti is broken were "hearsay".

If I tell my boss that the telescope is broken, and he tells the department chairman in an effort to get money to fix it, the chair doesn't consider my boss' remarks about the condition of the telescope "hearsay" because he didn't hear the problem directly from me.

So unless both the imagineer (who given his position would reasonably be expected to know exactly what is wrong with the Yeti, especially given his reaction when it was brought up) and/or DanBoris are lying, I'm inclined to believe the imagineer's reasons for the malfunction. His comments about why it hasn't been fixed are very likely hearsay.

I am definitely not lying since I can point the original post that contained this information...

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/...cts-status-watch.171808/page-142#post-7514980

.. and I have to reason to believe the OP would be lying about this, so that just leaves the credibility of the person he talked to.

I am definitely not lying since I can point the original post that contained this information...

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/...cts-status-watch.171808/page-142#post-7514980

.. and I have to reason to believe the OP would be lying about this, so that just leaves the credibility of the person he talked to.

That's an interesting read however part of it is total BS! OSHA certainly has changed fall protection requirements however, the simple use of a harness, lanyard and anchoring point somewhere above where you're working it all that's really required. You certainly can get fancy and put all kinds of catwalks, scaffolding, etc. into place but that's it your option. You can meet their requirements very simply and cheaply.

This is based on many years working in an industrial environment and worrying about and complying with OSHA requirements on a daily basis.

I have ridden Everest during both modes of the Yeti. Of course, A-mode is better, but I still love the ride very much! If I didn't know what the ride was "supposed to be like" I wouldn't think anything of it. I'll just take it as it is and enjoy it. Can't wait to go back!!

I have ridden Everest during both modes of the Yeti. Of course, A-mode is better, but I still love the ride very much! If I didn't know what the ride was "supposed to be like" I wouldn't think anything of it. I'll just take it as it is and enjoy it. Can't wait to go back!!

Despite my earlier complaining about bad show, I should also emphasize that I like the ride just fine even with the broken Yeti.

If my hunch is wrong and the repair really is expensive and lengthy then I would rather NOT have the ride closed for a long time (if I had an upcoming visit) and I'd rather the money be used for building new rides at AK.

From what I understand - and I could be mistaken - the issue is not the Yeti itself. I believe the Yeti "works". The problem is in the foundation the yeti is on. The motion had caused cracking from too much stress on the foundation. Fixing this kind of issue, with everything hidden in the middle of the mountain, would be a pretty big job. Like I said, I don't know this to be fact but I've heard it as an explanation, and it seems to make sense.

I heard this also....

To be honest I don't see the point. You see the Yeti for about half a second when you zip by. It's not like its missing. Would I (or anyone else) want to have this attraction close for the 6+ months it would take to essentially rebuild that section of the ride? No. Everest is a great ride how it is (and has been almost the entire time it has been opened). Why close it down and spend so much money that's not necessary. Put that money into adding something to Dino Land USA or Raffiki's Planet watch.

I have been on this ride when the Yeti did move. Now that is does not move, I would like to see it move again. It made the experience much better. Now, will Disney spend the money and have an awesome ride down for 6-12 months just for this effect..... time will tell.

It's not just the Yeti. As I understand it, the misting that is supposed to make it look like a real mountain with snow blowing over the top no longer works, nor does the "steam" effect when you are in the station. At least I didn't notice either of those on our last trip. I think I also saw somewhere that one of the waterfalls no longer works (might have been fixed since that report) and some bird that was supposed to entertain you when stopped at the destroyed track no longer works.

Quite a bit of the original "show" that no longer functions. While the Yeti is a big problem, all the little things also add up to a big problem when enough of them are down on a ride.

Then again, I've never seen or noticed the smaller things, so the Yeti is the only one I knew didn't work correctly, since that's the one that everyone talks about.

It's not just the Yeti. As I understand it, the misting that is supposed to make it look like a real mountain with snow blowing over the top no longer works, nor does the "steam" effect when you are in the station. At least I didn't notice either of those on our last trip. I think I also saw somewhere that one of the waterfalls no longer works (might have been fixed since that report) and some bird that was supposed to entertain you when stopped at the destroyed track no longer works.

Quite a bit of the original "show" that no longer functions. While the Yeti is a big problem, all the little things also add up to a big problem when enough of them are down on a ride.

Then again, I've never seen or noticed the smaller things, so the Yeti is the only one I knew didn't work correctly, since that's the one that everyone talks about.
The steam effect in the station is off and on. I don't think that effect is broken because sometimes they have it on and sometimes it's off.

Some people think he's moving, thanks to the strobe effect. I'm telling you, I saw him working and it isn't as big of deal as some of you are out to make it be. Would it be great if his arm swung at you... yes. But like someone else's said, you see him for a second. The ride is still great. How about we worry about other things like replacing dinoland with something equal to the rest of the park rather than worry about a 1 second effect that does not change the ride experience, imo.

It worked on me. I thought it moved until I read about the whole disco yeti thing on here. I would literally never have known if it weren't for disboards. I think it'd be a waste of money to fix it.

This thread hasn’t seen any action in over a year, but I’m prompted to kick the hornets’ nest following the record-shattering opening of “Avengers: Infinity War.” $258 million gross revenue in the first three days! The 19 Marvel Cinematic Universe films have accounted for $15.5 BILLION of gross global revenue, and “Infinity War” (part one of two, mind you) is just getting started. Disney has been generating insane profits from its Marvel, Star Wars, and Pixar properties lately in addition to the money it has been printing from the success of well-received, live-action remakes of animated classics and almost constant, strong theme park attendance at home and abroad.

IT’S TIME TO FIX THE YETI!!!

(I’m one of those who doesn’t care that a seeming majority of folks can’t tell the difference between a functioning, animated Yeti and a static, lifeless figure. There’s a difference, and WDI was created to bring this kind of difference to theme park attractions. Shrugging shoulders and saying, “oh, well...” is NOT the WDI way. The effect should be fixed. The attraction should work as designed. FACT: Anyone who thinks it’s okay to leave it in a state of disrepair, for whatever reason, belongs to the bean counter family tree and obviously does not hail from the land of the true Imagineer.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter