If I’m the CEO of Universal/Comcast, this is what I’d do

Universal has their version of lightning lane attached to their deluxe hotel. We would likely stay there for that on Universal days, unless hotel prices are too high.

My one child is interested in Harry Potter and we are considering going, but we love Disney and it is hard to think about skipping out on Disney. I've considered adding 1-2 Universal days to a Disney trip, but the price to go a day or two is really expensive on top of Disney when you lose the ability to bundle multiple days (Universal has really high prices too, it's not just Disney). Plus some of the rides are for adults/teens, which also makes Universal less attractive for us as a family with younger kids. However, when EPIC Universe opens, my other child is interested in Nintendo land. The rides also look like they will be more immersive. With multiple IPs now interesting my family, I've already told my husband we are doing a Universal trip in 2025/2026. That will likely replace a WDW trip. Depending upon how we like the parks, we might end up alternating. I can totally see Universal talking business from Disney.

to be clear, I didn’t say uni couldn’t take some business from Disney. I said they couldn’t take down, or even overtake Disney.

seeing as how Disneys strategy is higher prices to reduce crowds, I don’t think Disney would mind if uni took some of the business. It’s a win-win for them… keeping the tourism alive increasing the chance that families spend a few days at Disney, but still reducing their crowd a bit.

it’s definitely a Shift from years past where Disney fought to take every vacation dollar, but it’s not necessary a losing strategy.

to be clear, I didn’t say uni couldn’t take some business from Disney. I said they couldn’t take down, or even overtake Disney.

seeing as how Disneys strategy is higher prices to reduce crowds, I don’t think Disney would mind if uni took some of the business. It’s a win-win for them… keeping the tourism alive increasing the chance that families spend a few days at Disney, but still reducing their crowd a bit.

it’s definitely a Shift from years past where Disney fought to take every vacation dollar, but it’s not necessary a losing strategy.
I agree. I don't think Universal will overtake Disney. My response was to your perspective that Disney would still win if you went to Universal as you would still stay at their hotel. I was just trying to show another perspective of where they would lose. We would be taking chunks of our trip or complete stays and moving it away from Disney.

If I was universal I would take Disney directly on by directly competing against magic Kingdom and Epcot.

Now that a lot of the back of house and storage areas are going to move over to epic universe I would use every bit of that extra space in the existing parks to add rides for young kids and highly themed family dark rides. Even do a couple of rides that are very similar to pirates and haunted mansion but better using latest technology.

Then once epic universe is nearly complete announce a fourth park called epic world that are light on IP made up at least 12 areas each themed on a country like Epcot but done even better with 3 attractions for each 1 highly thrilling, 1 family attraction and 1 for small kids all highly themed around aspect of that countries history/culture/geography.

If I was universal I would take Disney directly on by directly competing against magic Kingdom and Epcot.

Now that a lot of the back of house and storage areas are going to move over to epic universe I would use every bit of that extra space in the existing parks to add rides for young kids and highly themed family dark rides. Even do a couple of rides that are very similar to pirates and haunted mansion but better using latest technology.

Then once epic universe is nearly complete announce a fourth park called epic world that are light on IP made up at least 12 areas each themed on a country like Epcot but done even better with 3 attractions for each 1 highly thrilling, 1 family attraction and 1 for small kids all highly themed around aspect of that countries history/culture/geography.
Universal could definitely make more rides, and literally copy Disneys parks, i think the problem lies in replicating the culture and atmosphere. The two really are completely different when it comes to culture. Universal is more like a nicer 6 flags, better customer service, but at the end of the day it's another amusement park. Disney does a much better job IMO immersing their guests in the "world" they are trying to present. I also think that guests at Disney are happier to play along, my mom always described it as Christmas all year round at WDW because everyone there was pleasant/nice/accommodating to one another, (not saying that it doesn't happen at Universal, just that it isn't the norm). Cast members do a great job as well, (i know the pandemic through a wrench into that, but i've heard it's gotten a lot better revently) Universal just doesn't match up there, they have really good customer service, i just don't think it's at the same level.

I guess the major point i'm trying to make here is that the attention to detail and the small things are really what separates Disney from everyone else, and just adding rides and copying what Disney has done so far wouldn't change much in my mind.

FWIW EU will have a ride that will be kinda similar to Haunted Mansion based on Universal Monsters but I expect the vibe to be different. They’re also in the process of overhauling an existing kids space but it’s not confirmed what they plan to do with it. In general we shouldn’t expect or want them to do “Disney but better”, they’re charting their own path and that’s good for everyone.

I think what they are doing is vastly improved. From zero park reservations to get in to the fact that they are actually selling APs at an incredible price in comparison to Disney. I think they are doing okay. I was not the world's biggest Universal fan at first. I though I would be going to Disney until I shuffled off this mortal coil. But the price increases and the decisions made from corporate and the downright stressed feeling that I get now when I'm at Disney.

Also judging from Pete's comments regarding business to Universal, I think they have proven that have something to offer. For me unfortunately that magic is gone from Disney. Is Universal for everyone NO. But Disney isn't everyone's cup of tea either.

Having an competition in town is better for all of us in the end

Universal could definitely make more rides, and literally copy Disneys parks, i think the problem lies in replicating the culture and atmosphere. The two really are completely different when it comes to culture. Universal is more like a nicer 6 flags, better customer service, but at the end of the day it's another amusement park. Disney does a much better job IMO immersing their guests in the "world" they are trying to present. I also think that guests at Disney are happier to play along, my mom always described it as Christmas all year round at WDW because everyone there was pleasant/nice/accommodating to one another, (not saying that it doesn't happen at Universal, just that it isn't the norm). Cast members do a great job as well, (i know the pandemic through a wrench into that, but i've heard it's gotten a lot better revently) Universal just doesn't match up there, they have really good customer service, i just don't think it's at the same level.

I guess the major point i'm trying to make here is that the attention to detail and the small things are really what separates Disney from everyone else, and just adding rides and copying what Disney has done so far wouldn't change much in my mind.
As far as theming and immersion, Universal has come a long way and making big strides with that. In the past their theming was not on par with Disney, but since Harry Potter they have come a long way with that. IoA was more immersive but still much pulled back. But Hogsmeade and Diagon Alley I would say are on par with anything at Disney World. Super Nintendo World in Japan that is coming to Orlando is just as good. It looks like you have been transported into the Mushroom Kingdom. EU looks like all of it's lands will be fully immersive like that. Not sure how the hub will be to this end but the lands themselves are. The other parks still have room to improve as they grow and redo areas.

The one thing that I love about Universal is the thrill rides that are themed. For my family thrill rides are a draw. Disney the best when it comes to theming but IMO they have way too many slow moving dark rides.

As far as theming and immersion, Universal has come a long way and making big strides with that. In the past their theming was not on par with Disney, but since Harry Potter they have come a long way with that. IoA was more immersive but still much pulled back. But Hogsmeade and Diagon Alley I would say are on par with anything at Disney World. Super Nintendo World in Japan that is coming to Orlando is just as good. It looks like you have been transported into the Mushroom Kingdom. EU looks like all of it's lands will be fully immersive like that. Not sure how the hub will be to this end but the lands themselves are. The other parks still have room to improve as they grow and redo areas.
I will give you HP, i think Rowling required it to be that immersive for universal to win the contract. That being said, the rest is to be seen, i don't doubt SNW will be good, I would just want to see it.

The one thing that I love about Universal is the thrill rides that are themed. For my family thrill rides are a draw. Disney the best when it comes to theming but IMO they have way too many slow moving dark rides.
i don't disagree with that, i am just more accepting of the slow moving rides. My childhood has me entrapped to those rides

i don't disagree with that, i am just more accepting of the slow moving rides. My childhood has me entrapped to those rides
I used to be like that growing up with going to Epcot. Since I hit 40 intense thrill rides have been my thing. Part of it is I want to enjoy those rides while my body can handle them. For me while I enjoy theming I need more then that to enjoy an attraction. Guardians is a step in that direction and would love to see Disney do more rides like that and less Remy's. I do understand why Disney does more Remy's then Guardians. It's cause IMO your average Disney guest aren't into thrill rides much. Going by many travel threads on here that majority here only go to Disney and very rare visit other parks.

One thing I don't get though is that people will say that Disney needs more thrill rides like Universal or that Universal needs more family rides like Disney. Personally I think it's great that they both cater to different audiences. Why do the need to be the same? If you prefer thrill rides, then Universal is your go-to. If you like theming and slower stuff, there's Disney - and of course there is crossover in those audiences too. Them being different is what makes both worth visiting!

One thing I don't get though is that people will say that Disney needs more thrill rides like Universal or that Universal needs more family rides like Disney. Personally I think it's great that they both cater to different audiences. Why do the need to be the same? If you prefer thrill rides, then Universal is your go-to. If you like theming and slower stuff, there's Disney - and of course there is crossover in those audiences too. Them being different is what makes both worth visiting!
I agree that it's good that they cater to different audiences. I just think Universal has a lot of IPs that could make for a cool, imaginative dark ride. Just look at Secret Life of Pets in Hollywood. I would 100% take something like that over a screen ride like Jimmy Fallon.

I agree that it's good that they cater to different audiences. I just think Universal has a lot of IPs that could make for a cool, imaginative dark ride. Just look at Secret Life of Pets in Hollywood. I would 100% take something like that over a screen ride like Jimmy Fallon.

Well, Uni Hollywood is better anyway! 😁 Uni does have too many screen rides, and why on earth does Jimmy Fallon have his own ride. It's one thing to have him on video segments on the back lot tour, but a full ride? Really? I know people say Uni stepped up their game with HP, but Fallon and Fast & Furious don't really reflect that. Nintenod loosk great! As with most things, they are still hit and miss.

Yes. This is kinda what I was trying to say. I do not want Uni to be the same as Disney but with different rides. I do not want Uni to try to compete directly with Disney. If they offer different things, but in the same location, both companies win, because Florida wins. By having Uni and Disney offer different things, the customer will go to Florida as their destination, and maybe they spend 2 days at Uni and 3 at Disney. Even though Disney doesn't get all 5 days, it's still better for them than if the customer goes to the Caribbean and Disney gets 0 dollars.

well, that's seems to be the problem, people don't actually want anything to change, they want more of the same but "better", and for less haha

Well, Uni Hollywood is better anyway! 😁 Uni does have too many screen rides, and why on earth does Jimmy Fallon have his own ride. It's one thing to have him on video segments on the back lot tour, but a full ride? Really? I know people say Uni stepped up their game with HP, but Fallon and Fast & Furious don't really reflect that. Nintenod loosk great! As with most things, they are still hit and miss.
im convinced they got HP right because Rowling was all over them to make sure it was at "Disney" standards. Nintendo could be more of the same, i think one of the better things for Uni is that they don't own a lot of the parks IP, and the IP holders can hold Uni to a higher standard

I do not want Uni to be the same as Disney but with different rides. I do not want Uni to try to compete directly with Disney.
As someone who’s spouse can’t do thrill rides, I’d love to see Universal have more family rides. I don’t expect them to have as many as Disney but a few more in each park would be nice. They could be 35/65 to Disney’s 65/35.

As someone who’s spouse can’t do thrill rides, I’d love to see Universal have more family rides. I don’t expect them to have as many as Disney but a few more in each park would be nice. They could be 35/65 to Disney’s 65/35.
I actually do not mind Uni having family friendly rides like Disney has. I would enjoy that. I do not go to Uni right now because of the lack of family friendly rides (I do not do well on Thrill rides). But, I guess the problem is they have already done that, and I guess they feel those rides are not worth it for them (ET, Jaws, Earthquake, Kongfrontation, etc). The fact that most of those are retired and not replaced with new family friendly rides, and the ones that remain are not really maintained speaks volumes. I have to say I find it amusing when people say that Universal should make a Haunted Mansion, but it would be better than Disney's. Have you been on ET lately? It's painful how much that thing could use an update.

I do not have any issues with Uni making itself more family friendly (except that Uni itself seems to disagree). I am just saying, if they do it, they should not copy Disney and make a Hunted Cave instead of a Haunted Mansion. They should make unique experiences. Imagine something new that we have not seen before, but make it a calm experience instead of a thrilling one. For example, there is so much more that could be done in the same vein as Pandora's Navi River - alien worlds, unique places, fantasy worlds. My problem is that the calm, family friendly rides they do make are based mostly on their animation studios, and I am not as much a fan of their cartoons. Uni's management seems to feel that "family friendly" equates to "under 10" and that's just not true.

I still remember when I was 10 years old and we visited California. I had gone to Disneyland the day before and my mother purchased me a Disney baseball cap which I was wearing to universal. The backstage tour tram guide (I do not remember the name of that ride) told me that it's perfectly fine with them that I was wearing a Disney hat to Universal. They love Disney, he told me. The only rule was that I had to wear a Universal Jacket to Disneyland the next day.

That kind of good natured competition is healthy among the parks and benefits us all. Trying to BE Disney with a purpose of taking them down is not IMHO healthy. But encouraging both parks to grow together with their own identity is only good for everyone.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter