If money were no object

I would probably want a big house beach front on Hilton Head Island. It's close enough to Savannah airport so I could still travel anywhere I wanted without too much hassle. I would still be close enough to family but far enough away too.
This is on my list too.

Probably something in Hilton Head - we've always considered retiring either to North or South Carolina, somewhere southern, but not as far as Florida.

i would live everywhere.. in a big Class A Diesel Pusher.... gonna do that when i retire but not sure it will be a big Class A Diesel Pusher... might be a Travel Trailer. ;)

Would love a house in Europe, maybe Italy or Salzberg, Austria. Also one in the Caribbean but not in the path of a hurricane. Last night I was watching a show on HGTV about buying your own island. Too isolated for me.

Summer: southern shore of Lake Superior (Upper Peninsula, Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore)
Winter: I think I'm with the PP about an Italian coast property.

I know it's not exciting but somewhere in Florida so we could go to WDW all the time!!!...I would also get a house maybe on the lake in Minnesota so I could spend time with family there..possibly a 3rd house in CT for same reason

I've always dreamed of having a log cabin vacation home in a forest close to a ski resort. Hiking, skiing, snowmobiling, outdoor cooking (obviously I'd take forest fire prevention steps on the property), ice skating, etc. sounds like my idea of heaven.

:rotfl:I totally get it. Calgary has four seasons also but three of them are winter. We actually had a wild thunder-sleet storm here on Saturday and the temperatures dropped to 3C.

Our back-up plan is to move to Calgary and start up a Canadian subsidiary of my dh's oil and gas business. He used to go up there a lot for work and has a lot of customers and other business connections. I like Calgary but the cold scares me. I once went to the University of Calgary for a summer conference and was a rather disconcerted when I heard about the underground tunnels between buildings in case the campus was snowed in.

Key West is my answer, too. We just got back from our 8th trip and were there for 9 days. Love that listing you posted and may have even gone by it, but I think we would choose something in Truman Annex. Would love one of the waterfront units of Harbour Place, or would be happy in a Foundry townhome or even any of the single family houses. Didn't know Dominique lived over there. We saw his show every night.
I posted that listing because I just got a notice about it. If we really could live there I would would want a place with a garage. Donminique lives across the street a couple doors down. He lives on the top floor of a house and has no A/C!

Our back-up plan is to move to Calgary and start up a Canadian subsidiary of my dh's oil and gas business. He used to go up there a lot for work and has a lot of customers and other business connections. I like Calgary but the cold scares me. I once went to the University of Calgary for a summer conference and was a rather disconcerted when I heard about the underground tunnels between buildings in case the campus was snowed in.
:flower3: I wish I could encourage and reassure you...but I got nothin'. :confused3

We have a place in Orlando another near Toronto and one where I am sitting now looking out on Georgian Bay. I would give the 3 up to move to Costa Rica if only my wife would agree to move there. But she won’t.

I already live in the best place on Earth for me. Of, course living somewhere different could be exciting, but ultimately not really better. I am a 15 minute drive to Washington, DC (or if I want I can just hop on the Metro), I can walk to so many favorite places to eat including great Lao, Vietnamese, Filipino, and Sichuan food. I live so close to so much convenient shopping and I live in a place where there are almost unlimited cultural opportunities and many highly educated people to meet and talk to. I can go hiking within a few minutes drive and explore historic sites, great architecture, sports... it's hard to think of anything I am lacking, but I can think of a lot I would be missing if I lived somewhere else. And then if I want to travel, there are three airports, train, and the bus to choose from.

My choice would be a beachfront unit on or near Grayton Beach or the Carillion Beach development in the Florida panhandle. Not as commercialized as Destin/San Destin and the beach and the green/blue gulf waters are just as beautiful. Love the pure white sands, wild life protected areas, restaurants, and picking up seasoned steamed shrimp. Can’t wait to get back.

Last edited:
Sure seems like many want that greener lawn across the street, other side of town, somewhere else in the state or country or world.

ME - ??? - Just fine where I'm at. I know ----- borrrr - ing

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!