If only the airlines could get it together

gscott8075

DVC Owner 2001 -2019
Our cruise was wonderful - its detailed separately. The flights were completely ridiculous -

This is part of a letter to Norman Mineta - Secy of Tranportation and to Delta Airlines...Delta did everything they could to take the pixie dust away...

SECURITY BREACH – BWI - DECEMBER 29, 2001 - The Skycap checked in bags curbside. He was working by himself – and there was a line of over 40 passengers. He took a cart of bags into the airport and LEFT FIVE CHECKED IN BAGS SIT UNATTENDED FOR 7 MINUTES.

SECURITY BREACH – BWI – DECEMBER 29, 2001 – The same Skycap checked people in. The party in front of us consisted of two people. They possessed a driver’s license for a third person who was not present. He issued three boarding passes.

INCONSIDERATE CUSTOMER SERVICE – BWI – DECEMBER 29, 2001 – There were over 200 people in line at the Delta counter and only 7 agents out of 15 available terminals were operating.

INCONSIDERATE CUSTOMER SERVICE – JACKSONVILLE, FL – JANUARY 3, 2002 – Concourse C – There were over 100 people waiting to move past the security checkpoint. There were two available security lanes and only one was operating.

INCONSIDERATE CUSTOMER SERVICE – ATLANTA – JANUARY 3, 2002 – The weather conditions made for a difficult travel day. Delta did not help matters – the customer service desk on Concourse C had 16 available terminals of which 5 were in use. There were over 100 people in line.

INCONSIDERATE CUSTOMER SERVICE – BWI – JANUARY 3, 2002 – I was re-routed onto different flights. My bags were sent separately. The baggage folks at BWI were overwhelmed – they was a staff of 4 dealing with hundreds of bags strewn around the baggage area. My bags were not present. They were could not tell me where my bag was. All airlines possess tracking systems which scans bags through the system. Delta is not using it properly and as of this morning, cannot tell me if my luggage is in Atlanta, BWI, Jacksonville, or Shanghai.

After witnessing the security breaches, I do not believe it is any safer to fly than it was before. The new security implementations will not stop a determined terrorist from taking down a plane. The airlines and local transit authorities have an obligation to do what it takes to restore confidence in the flying public. America was told to expect dramatic new security procedures and that would mean probable delays. We are willing to accept it if the airlines and the airport authorities also bear there part of the responsibility by fully staffing their stations to minimize the inconvenience.

We, the people, also gave the airliines billions of tax payer dollars to assure their viability. When do the airlines say, "Thanks for the help" and make it tolerable by at least showing that they are trying?

Wow, those blatant security breaches are scary. I was never a "good" flyer before, but this kind of stuff just makes me want to avoid it completely. It will be interesting to see what kind of reply you receive.

We encountered a pretty major security hole on our Thanksgiving weekend trip at O'Hare. I didn't post details because I don't want to give anyone ideas, but let's just say that I wouldn't have had any trouble if I wanted to smuggle something onto the plane. Hopefully it was just a one-time oversight rather than the regular procedure.
Barb
Visit the Platinum Castaway Club at: www.castawayclub.com

Not sure I wanted to keep reading your post. Putting your life into someone's else hands can be very unsettling. However, unless you can DRIVE you're stuck. This post just sends out a stronger message to be aware of what you are seeing around you. I'm glad people on that flight with the jerk with the bomb in his shoes was noticed. My family of 11 is flying & sailing 2/9/2002. I plan to take notice and just try and relax. On the flip side of this post - think about how the airlines feel. I will say a nice word to the FA once I land. It still chokes me up to think of all the people on those flights 911.

Kim

I did not want to disturb you! I am completely frustrated by the airlines continuing lack of concern for the passenger.

I've flown on Southwest twice since 9/11 - some lines, but nothing like the Delta oroblems this week. They had all terminals open. So, though we had to wait a bit, it was evident they were trying.

All of my customer service issues with Delta and the airport administrators deal with severe understaffing. There used to be 2-4 skycaps at BWI for each curb side check in terminal - this time there was one which caused a long line AND the security breach - what else was the skycap supposed to do? His dolly was full and he had to empty it !

The other customer service examples also stem from understaffing. I never would have written the letter or posted it here if the areas were staffed properly. The fact is, Delta failed us miserably - they laid of 1000's and their system is breaking down as a result. The airports are to blame to - the scene in Jacksonville was out of control. 2 available lines to move people and only one was open!

My main thrust is this - Congress, and so the American people, provided billions in assistance to most of the airlines. They have an obligation to do whatever they can. If all the terminals were open, and all the security lines were open - that would be all that they could do. I would cheerfully wait. But they aren't - and it is not right. You cannot treat customers this way - especially when the customer bailed you out and kept you viable.

SECURITY BREACH also on Delta!

12/04/01 Flying out of Melbourne, FL connecting in Atlanta.
I went up to the Delta check-in counter with my luggage. The Delta agent asked my name and printed out a seat request card. The plane that arrived was 10 seats smaller than what they expected so the plane was overbooked and I would get my seat assignment at the gate. I was not on standby. She then took my luggage. The agent NEVER asked for my ID! She NEVER asked any of those luggage questions (has it been out of your possession?, etc.). So I figured they would ask for my ID at the gate when I got my seat assignment. NOPE! She gave me my seat asignment and said "thank you". I then stood there in disbelief at the counter with a lot of other passengers around and said in a loud voice "that not one person had asked for my ID up to this point or asked the luggage questions". Dead silence. The agent turned white and called the girl at the check-in desk to ask her about this and told her don't EVER let this happen again. I told another Delta agent about this when I was checking in for my return flight at Phoenix. He said the person could have been fined $11,000 if the FAA caught this. It was unbelieveable to me that this happened after what occurred on 9/11! :eek:

Oh, and I should add that they were NOT understaffed. There was no line. The airport was practically empty.

Just some information for you all. My brother, U.S. Army employed at the DIA is DC, reminds everyone. DO NOT BE AFRAID, BE AWARE!! If you see anything that YOU think may be a problem report it to the proper authorities. YOU may make the difference no matter how small. :)

SECURITY BREACH – BWI – DECEMBER 29, 2001 – The same Skycap checked people in. The party in front of us consisted of two people. They possessed a driver’s license for a third person who was not present. He issued three boarding passes.

I fly out of BWI a lot and when I've use curbside check-in they never issue me a boarding pass. Just tag my luggage and give me the gate assignment. I have to go to the gate to get a boarding pass. Is this something new they're doing?

If you have an eticket and a seat assignment, they will provide boarding passes. Different airlines do things differently, but USAirways and Delta permit this.

These stories do not scare me anymore than I was already. The problems with airports and their lack of security have always terrified me (even before 9/11). I just cannot bring myself to put myself or my family on any airplane. In July we will be taking a 15 hour drive to get to Port Canaveral for our cruise. Of course we will then have to drive back afterwards. It is not going to be too bad, we did it in June 2001 also. Some say I am a chicken, but I will be one safe chicken.

1 Disney Lovin' Mom
Memphis, TN

I agree...even with all these horror stories, plus witnessing a security lapse myself, I'm not really more afraid than I was before 9/11. After all, the terrorists didn't smuggle anything onto the plane. They brought items that were allowed at the time. And there will always be ways, like the shoe bomb, to take down a plane if someone wants to. But, as much as I hate flying, that's what we do because we travel to Orlando so frequently, and there's no way we'd be able to if we drove. Even with the threat of terrorism, the overall chances of a problem are small. But I will always be a nervous flyer!!
Barb
Visit the Platinum Castaway Club at: www.castawayclub.com

If there's a will, there's a way!!

I hate to say it, but that's the truth. These terrorists have been training for years, and they WILL find a loophole. And, I believe that we HAVE to focus on other possible targets, not just the airlines.

It is our job, as American citizens, to keep our eyes and ears open. Security will NEVER be 100% foolproof, in any venue.

As gscott did, if you see a security infraction, it is OUR duty to report to it the proper officials! The squeaky wheel gets the oil. It is up to all of us to ensure our own safety- we can't always put it in the hands of our government.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter