If the new gondola, Skyliner, is successful, will they create more lines?

The problem with gondolas and the contemptable is the platform...the monorail one is low and frankly an eyesore...anything higher would be a major retrofit.

If you build one off the 8th floor...how exactly do you work that? Elevator slapped ontop of the Mary Blair?

Maybe, was thinking more for the travel through it, but that would be interesting if the stop was on a different floor than the monorail one to spread the crowds out

or go really crazy and have the monorail go through the Contemporary but the Skyliner stop at the top of Bay Lake Tower ;)

Actually that's probably what it would be. Landing pad in the BLT parking lot then just pass through CR.

There's no need for both a monorail AND the cable cars...or at least that's not looking at the reality:

It's either or...the point of this, at least in part, is to provide an alternative for the property that doesn't require major ground work other than hardpoints and stations.

The minute those monorail trusses are deemed to need replacing - and it's been 50 years in the swamp - my guess is they are done. It would cost billions...literally...to redo the whole circuit. It's not happening...You'll get 500 buses before you'll get that.

...you'd also never get a station at a dvc tower either...membership is meant to be low maintenance cost.

I suppose they could always leave a back and forth monorail, just from CR to MK. Kind of an old tribute. Then skyline the rest.

What would be the point? Operational cost with little justification?

As you pointed out: the rest of the circuit is more suitable to the cars...

And not only that: you could get more service areas at the poly and GF if you can or enclose the platforms and repurpose...and put the stations elsewhere. Plus you could connect wilderness....which would be a major plus.

...you'd also never get a station at a dvc tower either...membership is meant to be low maintenance cost.

Agreed-I just meant instead of dropping off "inside" CR, they could make the stop/corner platform in the parking lot. Then just go through the CR nonstop.

Unless the skyline can use the existing monorail stops inside the CR of course.

he minute those monorail trusses are deemed to need replacing - and it's been 50 years in the swamp - my guess is they are done. It would cost billions...literally...to redo the whole circuit. It's not happening...You'll get 500 buses before you'll get that.

Was kind of my whole point, just convert the monorail route to skyliner. The only hurdle to me was the CR.

Agreed-I just meant instead of dropping off "inside" CR, they could make the stop/corner platform in the parking lot. Then just go through the CR nonstop.

Unless the skyline can use the existing monorail stops inside the CR of course.

Yep

What would be the point? Operational cost with little justification?

Yea just a tribute and easy to keep that short distance operational. Couldn't care less if its skyliner instead.

But agree-it's super unlikely as the skyliner would need to be there as well anyway-unless it cut straight across the lake to TTC from MK..

I could see them keeping the monorail from the TTC through CR to MK. That spur only. Mainly for capacity reasons, but also because without the monorail the CR is significantly less than what it was meant to be. But I just don't see gondolas going through the CR or working real well with the TTC. The parking lot shuttles drop off huge loads at once, so you need vehicles that handle huge loads at once. That is the ferry and the monorail. The maintenance and repair costs drop because you can have fewer trains and a heck of a lot less track. It can all be automated, and the infrastructure is still there for stations and in good repair.

But otherwise, I agree, the monorail's days are numbered. It may be numbered with a really big number still, but numbered none the less. And it has been numbered since they didn't build the spur to MGM 30 years ago.

The one drawback to this idea is you need to create new infrastructure at MK and TTC for gondolas if you are keeping the monorail stations. Space is kind of at a premium in those locations, so it may not be feasible.

I could see them keeping the monorail from the TTC through CR to MK. That spur only. Mainly for capacity reasons, but also because without the monorail the CR is significantly less than what it was meant to be. But I just don't see gondolas going through the CR or working real well with the TTC. The parking lot shuttles drop off huge loads at once, so you need vehicles that handle huge loads at once. That is the ferry and the monorail. The maintenance and repair costs drop because you can have fewer trains and a heck of a lot less track. It can all be automated, and the infrastructure is still there for stations and in good repair.

But otherwise, I agree, the monorail's days are numbered. It may be numbered with a really big number still, but numbered none the less. And it has been numbered since they didn't build the spur to MGM 30 years ago.

The one drawback to this idea is you need to create new infrastructure at MK and TTC for gondolas if you are keeping the monorail stations. Space is kind of at a premium in those locations, so it may not be feasible.

Problem there is it would have to be the whole circuit...and that's all kinds of problematic.

You can't have the rails go through the 3 hotels and can the resort line...that's still a huge distance with maintenance. And if you chop it off and do a spur...it would have to be retrofitted into a switchback and then wouldn't be able to handle breakdowns at all...and that's always an issue.

Nothing but problems...

My favorite idea is a bridge over the lagoon and trams...cut out the middle man and then you can use skyways to your hearts content.

Or a direct lot/garages somewhere on the north/west side.

Remember: billions of bonded transportation outlays starting now...we'll see soon.

Last edited:
I could not see a Gondola going into the CR. the opening would be huge and weather would be a major issue. And like other pointed out, why, when the monorail is there.

I see the next big opportunities for gondolas on a long route like this, taking lots of buses off the road:
TTC - along bear island road - a stop at the western gateway development - Animal Kingdom - Coronado Springs - Hollywood Studios

And a spur for All stars and Blizzard Beach going to AK and/or Studios.

I loved the Gondolas and lifts all over Swizterland. Would love to see something like that!

I am guessing we will see more Gondolas if they are popular (aka - if they take a major load off the buses from those resorts).

This may have been discussed earlier, but I could see them eliminating the monorail from TTC to Epcot and replacing it with a Gondola on the same route as a first step since they will already have the infrastructure there at Epcot for the Gondola.

And while the monorail is practically a part of Future World, if the vision of Future World is changing, maybe the monorail isn't as iconic.

Though the drawings for the updated Epcot still include the rails.

I think the first gondola will tell them quickly if it's the way to go moving forward...I think they think it is, or they wouldn't have broken ground.

I would expect the next "loop" to be along the Osceola parkway...that could combine five hotels, dak, a waterpark and their robber baron sports complex to MGM, which then opens that up to the whole Epcot area. In two lines you can link about 65% of the people on property...that's too attractive for them to likely pass up.

I am guessing we will see more Gondolas if they are popular (aka - if they take a major load off the buses from those resorts).

This may have been discussed earlier, but I could see them eliminating the monorail from TTC to Epcot and replacing it with a Gondola on the same route as a first step since they will already have the infrastructure there at Epcot for the Gondola.

And while the monorail is practically a part of Future World, if the vision of Future World is changing, maybe the monorail isn't as iconic.

Though the drawings for the updated Epcot still include the rails.

I do believe the supports for the line going to EPCOT are in worse shape than the ones around the MK resorts so I could see that. I do love the part that goes through Future World - but maybe they could keep that as an attraction within EPCOT, sort of like the People Mover in Tomrorowland

I know that image they shared at D23 was just concept art and the final might not look anything like it but in that image they shared for Future World did include that monorail track

I surprised it wasn't discussed here yet, perhaps I missed it. Transportpass+, Disney's next new offering. With an additional upcharge, you can skip the lines and hit the transport of your choice. Exclusive access to resort deluxe transport services. They've already tested the concept with the park hopping busses. It's a given that the guest foots the bill one way or another. The question is, will transportation be the last equal rights amenity on property. With the magic band system, anything is possible. There could be one premium service with the MinnieVans being the precursor, or perhaps tiered transport levels, that match your resort level.
Monorail towers may not last forever, but neither will skyliner towers, nor roads. All require regular maintenance. Someone will decide if repair is cheaper than replacement. I can see the Epcot spur being replaced with alternate transport means. I think the main line, will be kept alive if even at a reduced service.

I surprised it wasn't discussed here yet, perhaps I missed it. Transportpass+, Disney's next new offering. With an additional upcharge, you can skip the lines and hit the transport of your choice. Exclusive access to resort deluxe transport services. They've already tested the concept with the park hopping busses. It's a given that the guest foots the bill one way or another. The question is, will transportation be the last equal rights amenity on property. With the magic band system, anything is possible. There could be one premium service with the MinnieVans being the precursor, or perhaps tiered transport levels, that match your resort level.
Monorail towers may not last forever, but neither will skyliner towers, nor roads. All require regular maintenance. Someone will decide if repair is cheaper than replacement. I can see the Epcot spur being replaced with alternate transport means. I think the main line, will be kept alive if even at a reduced service.

First I've heard of it.

That's a mistake.

I'm just picturing the mob scene leaving after HEA, and an angry mob watching people light up the Mickey posts loading up the transportation modes in front of them......

Or, people just shrug it off.....

ETA: Now I see the red front....

Last edited:

First I am hearing about it ... so this is different than the MinnieVans? More of a "Fastpass" to get to the front of the line for the bus or monorial or something?

I'm thinking this was sarcasm. However, I wouldn't put it past the mouse to do another blatant cash grab.

Oh crap, there goes my rehire status. :eek:

Personally, I would prefer monorail expansion but I know it is highly unlikely to ever happen due to the cost. It will be interesting to see what happens with the Skyliner.

Or something like the people mover in tomorrow land

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter